Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

Juggler, not a clown !

1 visualização
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Stormx

não lida,
29 de abr. de 2003, 21:41:3529/04/2003
para
Hi !!

i do not know whether this also happens regulary to you, but when i tell
my friends about my juggling hobbie, they ask me if a am (or want to be)a
CLOWN...??????

Of course, i have nothing against clowns, but in my case, i am attracted
just to juggling, and not to disguise myself to play a clown!! So, that
confussion bothers me a little.

Why do you think there is such association between juggling and clowns,
when both activities are completely different? (tough can be combined,
naturally...). Probably because both are classical circus activities, who
knows...

Juan

Stu Carter

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 04:57:3030/04/2003
para
On 30 Apr 2003, Stormx wrote:

> Why do you think there is such association between juggling and clowns,
> when both activities are completely different? (tough can be combined,
> naturally...). Probably because both are classical circus activities, who
> knows...

Bad jugglers wear a silly costume to hide their lack of talent.*
When I did work for a local entertainer, I used to add a premium to my fee
if he wanted me to dress in a silly costume. The premium was around 400%
of my normal fee. He never made me dress up :o)

*(Controversial sweeping statement, but often true)

Cheers,

Stu

bob dilworth

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 05:33:2430/04/2003
para

"Stu Carter" <s...@mini.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Bad jugglers wear a silly costume to hide their lack of talent.*

I take exception to this. I am a bad juggler almost void of talent and have
never worn a silly costume. :-)

Bob

Little Paul

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 07:26:1230/04/2003
para
Stormx wrote:

> i do not know whether this also happens regulary to you, but when i tell
> my friends about my juggling hobbie, they ask me if a am (or want to be)a
> CLOWN...??????

Doesn't happen to me. But then I'm not a juggler. At least, I
certainly don't go round telling people I am...

> i have nothing against clowns,

You should do, they're evil.

Apart from Ouchy the clown, who in my opinion is the best thing since
the thing that was best thing since sliced bread. (What's so great
about sliced bread anyway? I mean, sure, it's better than whole bread
but not as good as cheese...)

> So, that confussion bothers me a little.

I'd be bothered two if people thought I was a scary freak with bad hair
and a car that falls apart on cue... (hang on.... Hmmm....)

> Why do you think there is such association between juggling and clowns,

The public are stupid. Just accept that and be thankful they didn't
think you were a mime artist.

> when both activities are completely different?

They're not though. They both happen at the circus. Therefore they are
the same activity. As far as Joe Public is concerned, you probably keep
elephants in your back garden.

-Paul

Marco

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 08:22:0430/04/2003
para
> i do not know whether this also happens regulary to you, but when i tell
> my friends about my juggling hobbie, they ask me if a am (or want to be)a
> CLOWN...??????

I've the same problem in Italy. A lot of parents say: "hey junior, watch
here the clown!".
Marco

JJuggle

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 08:03:3930/04/2003
para
Stormx wrote:

> Why do you think there is such association between juggling and clowns,
> when both activities are completely different?

This is obviously Bob Dylan's fault for indelibly linking the two in 'Like
a Rolling Stone':

You never turned around to see the frowns
On the jugglers and the clowns when they all did tricks for you.

Prior to this it never occured to anyone, I don't believe, that clowning
and juggling could be related.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ
- Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Greg Phillips

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 08:50:1730/04/2003
para
Marco wrote:
> I've the same problem in Italy. A lot of parents say: "hey junior, watch
> here the clown!".

Cool! How do you say that in Italian, just in case I ever visit with my
kids?

Greg

Scott Kurland

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 09:26:2630/04/2003
para

<aol> ME2ME2ME2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</aol>

That's kind of fun, in a sick, twisted evil way. I wonder how much a WebTV
costs....

--
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."
-- Seneca

J Craggs

não lida,
29 de abr. de 2003, 12:22:2829/04/2003
para
On 30 Apr 2003 12:03:39 GMT, jsn...@aol.com.nospam
(JJuggle) wrote:

>Stormx wrote:
>
>> Why do you think there is such association between juggling and clowns,
>> when both activities are completely different?
>
>This is obviously Bob Dylan's fault for indelibly linking the two in 'Like
>a Rolling Stone':
>
> You never turned around to see the frowns
> On the jugglers and the clowns when they all did tricks for you.

Absolutely, Bob Dylan has a lot to answer
for... I'm still looking for the fabled 'highway of
diamonds with nobody on it', it would be the perfect
place to really thrash (test) a new motorbike. But if
I do find it the weather's bound to be awful. I just
know 'a hard rain's gonna fall...".

Gyppo (feeling 'lyrical')

John Craggs - Writer - Adult Tutor - Storyteller
and All-Round Rogue
Need a laugh? Then subscribe to the free Monday Silly Digest:
mail to: gyp...@ntlworld.com With 'MSD SUB' as subject.

Little Paul

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 09:31:0530/04/2003
para
Scott Kurland wrote:
> That's kind of fun, in a sick, twisted evil way. I wonder how much a WebTV
> costs....

I don't know, but you could ask the 10 or so webtv users that have
looked at www.trickswithhats.org over the last month...

-Paul
www.trickswithhats.org - Now with added new stuff

JJuggle

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 09:42:3530/04/2003
para
J Craggs wrote:

> Absolutely, Bob Dylan has a lot to answer
> for... I'm still looking for the fabled 'highway of
> diamonds with nobody on it', it would be the perfect
> place to really thrash (test) a new motorbike.

Very likely you've already found it but once there fail to recognize it as
it then becomes a highway of diamonds with one person on it. Open your
eyes man!

juggler133

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 09:47:2030/04/2003
para
> Apart from Ouchy the clown, who in my opinion is the best thing since
> the thing that was best thing since sliced bread. (What's so great
> about sliced bread anyway? I mean, sure, it's better than whole bread
> but not as good as cheese...)

I can't testify for Ouchy, but I will certainly buy your comment about
cheese. I believe if cheese were to face sliced bread, or any bread for
that matter, in any contest whatsoever (taste, texture, number of uses,
street fighting, chess, etc.) cheese would win. The only exception
naturally being, The "Which tastes more like bread" contest, in which
cheese still comes close.

J Craggs

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 11:59:1530/04/2003
para
On 30 Apr 2003 13:42:35 GMT, jsn...@aol.com.nospam
(JJuggle) wrote:

>J Craggs wrote:
>
>> Absolutely, Bob Dylan has a lot to answer
>> for... I'm still looking for the fabled 'highway of
>> diamonds with nobody on it', it would be the perfect
>> place to really thrash (test) a new motorbike.
>
>Very likely you've already found it but once there fail to recognize it as
>it then becomes a highway of diamonds with one person on it. Open your
>eyes man!
>
>Raphael Lasar

Damn! All these years spent in search of the
unattainable... Grasshopper bows to the wisdom of the
Master ;-)

Gyppo

Viveca

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 12:00:2030/04/2003
para
"Stu Carter" <s...@mini.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Bad jugglers wear a silly costume to hide their lack of talent.*

That's true of clowns too. Clowns are funny. People in gaudy costumes who
squeak are just scary.

Viveca

Alan Morgan

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 12:43:0330/04/2003
para
In article <3eafc688$1$46130$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>,

Greg Phillips <greg.p...@juggler.net.nospam> wrote:
>Marco wrote:
>> I've the same problem in Italy. A lot of parents say: "hey junior, watch
>> here the clown!".
>
>Cool! How do you say that in Italian, just in case I ever visit with my
>kids?

Pretty much the same way. Italian is just English with the arms waved
around a lot.

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

Marco

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 13:51:3730/04/2003
para

> Cool! How do you say that in Italian, just in case I ever visit with my
> kids?

Clown in italian is "clown" or "pagliaccio".

Liam

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 14:07:0030/04/2003
para
In article <3eafd3e8$0$46129$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>,
juggl...@unicyclist.com.nospam (juggler133) wrote:

Yeah, but toasted cheese doesn't go well with baked beans.

Liam

Liam

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 14:07:0030/04/2003
para
In article <3eaf29ce$0$46130$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>,
juan...@hotmail.com.nospam (Stormx) wrote:

Same here - I get really annoyed about that. I tell them that some clowns
juggle, but no jugglers are clowns, if you see what I mean. They call the
juggling club I go to "clown school" and they reckon that because I go to
Clown School, I get 10% off all circus tickets, or something like that!

I say let them have their fun, then show them some videos of Gatto or
other professionals and ask them whether they look like clowns.

Liam

Little Paul

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 14:32:2830/04/2003
para
Liam wrote:
> Yeah, but toasted cheese doesn't go well with baked beans.

Erm, what planet are you from? I suggest you get yourself to a grill
and make yourself some cheese on toast. Then heat some baked beans up
and pour them all over the toasted cheese.

Cheesybeans on toast is far superior to it's non cheese related cousin.

For extra flavour, add a small knob of butter (real butter mind, none
of that low fat "i can't beleive it's not full of chemicals" substitue
stuff..) and a large quantity of freshly ground black pepper to the
beans.

perfik.

-Paul

Adria M Moskowitz

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 14:42:5530/04/2003
para
Digression ....

When I was a child, I hated clowns. They were miscolored, their
bodies were out of proportion and they flailed scarily in one's face.
They liked to inflict pain on others and laughed at it and, what was
worse, encouraged others to laugh at this person's pain! It was
horrible and cruel.

I learned the history of clowns, and that made it even worse! People
cutting their children's faces (and other body parts) with knives in
order to be able to sell them to a rich person. And that rich person
being allowed to legally abuse them! Just aweful!

As an adult I learned the history of juggling and how respected it has
been throughout the centuries. In my opinion, anyone who confuses the
two should be severely beaten.

Danny Colyer

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 15:28:0030/04/2003
para
Little Paul wrote:
> Cheesybeans on toast is far superior to it's non cheese related
> cousin.

Beat me to it (but then you do seem to check rj every 5 minutes
throughout the day, while I only check every couple of hours during the
evening ;-) )

> For extra flavour, add a small knob of butter (real butter mind, none
> of that low fat "i can't beleive it's not full of chemicals" substitue
> stuff..) and a large quantity of freshly ground black pepper to the
> beans.

A dash of Worcestershire Sauce instead of the pepper works very well, I
find. Then for a special treat top off the lot with a couple of poached
eggs.

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/

Scott Kurland

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 15:37:3530/04/2003
para
Little Paul wrote:
> Liam wrote:
>> Yeah, but toasted cheese doesn't go well with baked beans.
>
> Erm, what planet are you from? I suggest you get yourself to a grill
> and make yourself some cheese on toast. Then heat some baked beans up
> and pour them all over the toasted cheese.

I think his point was the cheese wouldn't work nearly as well with baked
beans without the sliced bread. ;-)

> Cheesybeans on toast is far superior to it's non cheese related
> cousin.
>

> For extra flavor, add a small knob of butter (real butter mind, none
> of that low fat "i can't believe it's not full of chemicals" substitute

> stuff..) and a large quantity of freshly ground black pepper to the
> beans.
>

> perfect.
>
> -Paul

Scott Kurland

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 15:38:5630/04/2003
para
Adria M Moskowitz wrote:
> Digression ....
>
> When I was a child, I hated clowns. They were discolored, their

> bodies were out of proportion and they flailed scarily in one's face.
> They liked to inflict pain on others and laughed at it and, what was
> worse, encouraged others to laugh at this person's pain! It was
> horrible and cruel.
>
> I learned the history of clowns, and that made it even worse! People
> cutting their children's faces (and other body parts) with knives in
> order to be able to sell them to a rich person. And that rich person
> being allowed to legally abuse them! Just awful!

> As an adult I learned the history of juggling and how respected it has
> been throughout the centuries. In my opinion, anyone who confuses the
> two should be severely beaten.

If you were feeling really cranky, you could cut their faces and other body
parts with knives and sell and/or abuse them....

Scott Kurland

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 15:40:0630/04/2003
para
Danny Colyer wrote:
> Little Paul wrote:
>> Cheesybeans on toast is far superior to it's non cheese related
>> cousin.
>
> Beat me to it (but then you do seem to check rj every 5 minutes
> throughout the day, while I only check every couple of hours during
> the evening ;-) )
>
>> For extra flavor, add a small knob of butter (real butter mind, none
>> of that low fat "i can't believe it's not full of chemicals"
>> substitute stuff..) and a large quantity of freshly ground black

>> pepper to the beans.
>
> A dash of Worcestershire Sauce instead of the pepper works very well,
> I find. Then for a special treat top off the lot with a couple of
> poached eggs.

Thanks, guys.

Daniel Mitchell

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 17:21:5230/04/2003
para
Little Paul <l...@juggler.net> wrote in news:3EB016BA...@juggler.net:

> Erm, what planet are you from? I suggest you get yourself to a grill
> and make yourself some cheese on toast. Then heat some baked beans up
> and pour them all over the toasted cheese.

Better still is to take beans, put in bowl, slice cheese, put on top of
beans, microwave the lot for 3 minutes or so, and the cheese goes all nice
and stringy and stirs into the beans much more interestingly. Then pour
over toast. (and, of _course_, black pepper, yup)

-- (bendy) dan

Scott Kurland

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 17:48:2330/04/2003
para
> -- (bendy) Dan

Black beans with jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, a spoonful of 99% (it's a
habanero thing*, do not try this at home)... yeah, sounds like an early
dinner to me. Thanks again, guys.

--
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."
-- Seneca

* Calido Traders Habanero paste, no kidding. It used to wear the three red
kite feathers - champion of champions, death in the guise of, ha, food - but
some of the new contenders are stronger than pure habanero puree - capsaicin
extract, pepper spray for food. Chileheads are insane.
http://calido-indiana.com/ws/1105.html if you want to try it.

Roger W. C. Hansen

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 17:29:5630/04/2003
para
In Article <3eaf29ce$0$46130$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>,

juan...@hotmail.com.nospam (Stormx) wrote:
>Hi !!
>
>i do not know whether this also happens regulary to you, but when i tell
>my friends about my juggling hobbie, they ask me if a am (or want to be)a
>CLOWN...??????
>
>Of course, i have nothing against clowns, but in my case, i am attracted
>just to juggling, and not to disguise myself to play a clown!! So, that
>confussion bothers me a little.
>
>Why do you think there is such association between juggling and clowns,
>when both activities are completely different? (tough can be combined,
>naturally...). Probably because both are classical circus activities, who
>knows...
>
>Juan

First of all, I would like to say that this thread illustrates
much of what is wrong with rec.juggling today. One post which is
at least tentatively related to juggling generated by my count so
far 25 posts. Nearly all of these responces are totally unrelated
to juggling. With this in mind, I will try to set an example. I
will try to respond in a manner related to the question and reflecting,
hopefully, some relevance to juggling.

Nearly every juggler will be asked if he is a clown
eventually. There are two ways of interpreting the question. One
interpretation is "Do you dress or perform as a stereotypical clown?" This
stereotype would involve heavy and exagerated face paint with a
costume as far past riduculous as possible. Another way to consider
the question would be "Do you engage in physical comedy?" or
"Do you Clown around?" Many jugglers who perform do things
that qualify as physical comedy and might be called clowning in
the behavioral sense. When this is well done, it can be very entertaining.
Unfortunately, many clown have obsessed on the face paint and
costume at the expense of the physical comedy. This has resulted
in... shall we generously say, a lot of mediocre clowns. There are
a lot of clowns out there that are all paint and costume and no
clowning. When someone asks if I am a clown, I have to decide what they
mean. If I think they are trying to fit me into the pigeon hole of the
clown stereotype, I say no. In the rare case, when I think they are
asking about physical comedy, I might say yes.

My advise to young jugglers would be to learn what you can about
physical comedy and entertaining from good clowns. Feel free to incorporate
physical comedy into your juggling as needed, but avoid the
stereotype. The best clowns I have seen recently are the clowns on
the Cirque du Soleil Drallion tape. (This is an excellent tape with
Victor Kee's Juggling and acrobatics prominently featured.)
Guess what? They do not dress like sterotypical clowns. You actually
have to watch them for a while to figure out that they are the clowns.
Even the good clowns are abandoning the stereotype.

Greg Phillips

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 19:50:5730/04/2003
para

No, no --- the whole thing. "Hey junior, watch here the clown!"

Greg

Viveca

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 20:24:1430/04/2003
para
"Roger W. C. Hansen" <han...@src.wisc.edu> wrote in message

> In Article <3eaf29ce$0$46130$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>,
> juan...@hotmail.com.nospam (Stormx) wrote:
> >Hi !!
> >
> >i do not know whether this also happens regulary to you, but when i tell
> >my friends about my juggling hobbie, they ask me if a am (or want to be)a
> >CLOWN...??????
> >
><snip> >

> First of all, I would like to say that this thread illustrates
> much of what is wrong with rec.juggling today.

And I thought you were going to say that what's wrong here is that people
with non-juggling friends are apparently allowed to post.

Viveca
5

jugglingwonder

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 20:34:5530/04/2003
para

With my limited spanish 1 knowledge, i have to say my most hated word is
"payaso," meaning clown. During easter break i went to mexico for a
missions trip. During a break I juggled a little and a tiny kid, i'm sure
he's a decent fellow, deep... deep down inside, yet... he comes up and
says, "payaso, payaso!" and i say no! no soy un payaso! then i stop.
As a sidenote, I think that jugglers should just expect the uncultured and
uneducated world to keep asking us these same repetitive questions, such
as, "are you a clown?" (insert shudder), "are you in the circus or
something?" (insert sigh), and the most famous one, "Can you eat an apple
and juggle at the SAME TIME?" (insert scream of terror).
It builds a kind of extreme patience; if we can handle that, we can take
anything.

Stephen Bent

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 21:12:0930/04/2003
para

"Liam" <joeb...@hotmail.fake.com> wrote

> I say let them have their fun, then show them some videos of Gatto or
> other professionals and ask them whether they look like clowns.

Gatto? I'm thinking more along the lines of Garfield.

-Stephen

Stephen Bent

não lida,
30 de abr. de 2003, 21:13:0230/04/2003
para

"Marco" <theoran...@NOSPAMlibero.it> wrote

> Clown in italian is "clown" or "pagliaccio".

Really? There's a great pizza place where I live called "Pagliacci's". Is there a connection? If I juggle, can I
get free pizza?

-Stephen

Charlie

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 04:43:4301/05/2003
para
On Wed, 30 Apr 03 21:29:56 GMT, han...@src.wisc.edu (Roger W. C.
Hansen) wrote:

>> First of all, I would like to say that this thread illustrates
>much of what is wrong with rec.juggling today.

I agree and suggest the reintroduction of compulsory army training
would sort these people out. I have reported all participants to the
Usenet Police. Thankyou Roger for your sensible words and for failing
to be distracted by cheese, beans, worcestershire sauce (that's
pronounced 'worcester') or even Marmite, which previous posters failed
to mention.

Charlie

bob dilworth

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 05:25:0301/05/2003
para

"Charlie" <charlie...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Thankyou Roger for your sensible words and for failing
> to be distracted by cheese, beans, worcestershire sauce (that's
> pronounced 'worcester') or even Marmite, which previous posters failed
> to mention.

And for any non-english speakers, worcester is pronounced wuster.

Bob

Little Paul

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 06:01:4101/05/2003
para
Charlie wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 03 21:29:56 GMT, han...@src.wisc.edu (Roger W. C.
> Hansen) wrote:
>
>>> First of all, I would like to say that this thread illustrates
>>> much of what is wrong with rec.juggling today.
>
> I agree

May I refer the right honourable gentlemen to the archives. I think
on closer inspection you'll find the word "today" to be completely
redundant.

RJ has certainly been like this the 7 or so years I've been reading
it...

A quick search of the archives reveals 154 matches for "toast" so it's
actually quite a popular subject here. (By comparison a search for
"slack rope" turns up 153 hits, which in my book makes toast more
juggling related than standing on a bit of string...)

The first mention of toast on rec.juggling is in relation to weight loss
and is at *least* as tenuously linked to juggling as clowning is.

http://www.jugglingdb.com/news/article.php?id=%3C1992Jul27....@m2xenix.psg.com%3E

for the thread in question from back in 1992.

> and suggest the reintroduction of compulsory army training
> would sort these people out. I have reported all participants to the
> Usenet Police.

They'll never find me...

*adjusts his tinfoil hat*

> Thankyou Roger for your sensible words and for failing
> to be distracted by cheese, beans, worcestershire sauce (that's
> pronounced 'worcester') or even Marmite, which previous posters failed
> to mention.

Well, the marmite was implied. What fool would make cheese on toast
without marmite?

-Paul

Little Paul

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 06:15:2201/05/2003
para
Danny Colyer wrote:
> Beat me to it (but then you do seem to check rj every 5 minutes
> throughout the day, while I only check every couple of hours during the
> evening ;-) )

The joys of having an nntp feed at work... (And yes, I do use it for
work related stuff too :-)

Mind you, it does mean if it's the weekend, or i'm on holiday, I miss
out on loads of stuff...

> A dash of Worcestershire Sauce instead of the pepper works very well,

True.

> Then for a special treat top off the lot with a couple of poached
> eggs.

Done properly in a saucepan mind... none of this microwaving nonsense.

-Paul

Charlie

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 06:33:5201/05/2003
para
On Thu, 1 May 2003 10:01:41 GMT, Little Paul <l...@juggler.net> wrote:

>> Thankyou Roger for your sensible words and for failing
>> to be distracted by cheese, beans, worcestershire sauce (that's
>> pronounced 'worcester') or even Marmite, which previous posters failed
>> to mention.
>
>Well, the marmite was implied. What fool would make cheese on toast
>without marmite?

Ah, and I forgot to mention the small sprinkling of chili powder, and
a dusting of fresh basil. A meal fit for a king!

Charlie

JJuggle

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 08:24:4501/05/2003
para

Is this how Americans will behave in, say 2075 or so, after the fall of
the American Empire (read: United States of America Empire) when all we
are left with is our feeling of superiority without the actual superiority?

;)

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ
- Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Richard Moorman

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 10:30:3201/05/2003
para
han...@src.wisc.edu (Roger W. C. Hansen) wrote in message news:<hansen.14...@news.doit.wisc.edu>...

> Even the good clowns are abandoning the stereotype.

What, those pretentious French wankers who think they're better than
the rest of us because they project talent, style, grace, wit, pathos,
elegance and intelligence to the wonderment of the crowd, while we sit
giggling at Ouchy's web page?

Bastards!

Sincerely yours,
Wrapping Myself in the Flag and Bellowing Bombastic Piety

Scott Seltzer

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 14:47:5901/05/2003
para
Raphael Lasar wrote:
> Is this how Americans will behave in, say 2075 or so, after the fall of
> the American Empire (read: United States of America Empire) when all we
> are left with is our feeling of superiority without the actual superiority?

I thought that this was hilarious!

But then I thought about something I have noticed and have been meaning to
write about for a long time: Until a few years ago, the best juggling web
sites were American (JIS, Boppo, JAG, Andrew Conway, Nathan Hoover, etc.)
but none of those have changed significantly in the past few years (or
have disappeared). And the best sites (IJDb, Luke's Thing, LAP,
trickswithhats, and others) are from the UK...

And let's look at jugglers. Yeah, Gatto and Garfield are still American.
But Boppo and Sarafian seem to have been replaced by Burrage, Beever, and
Bone. Toby Walker and probably others seems to be representing the UK
pretty well, too.

Someone in the know could probably go on with items such as: conventions,
performers, juggling shops, etc.

-Scott

Danny Colyer

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 16:17:1901/05/2003
para
Roger W. C. Hansen complained:

> First of all, I would like to say that this thread illustrates
> much of what is wrong with rec.juggling today. One post which is
> at least tentatively related to juggling ...

Ahem. I would point out that my first post referred to eggs, which are
*always* relevant to juggling.

Danny Colyer

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 16:21:2201/05/2003
para
Little Paul wrote:
> RJ has certainly been like this the 7 or so years I've been reading
> it...

I don't remember it being quite so wibbly when I first started reading
it 10 years ago. But once "How do I improve my 5 ball pattern" and "How
do I do 4 ball MM" have been done to death, one's attention turns to
slightly less obviously juggling related matters. Like "What's the best
food to eat at conventions, beans with toast or beans with cheese?".
And convention catering matters are important to all jugglers.

Also, of course, a decay into irrelevancy was more or less inevitable
once LP started posting :-P

Danny Colyer

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 16:24:0101/05/2003
para
I suggested:

> > Then for a special treat top off the lot with a couple of poached
> > eggs.

leading LP to comment:

> Done properly in a saucepan mind... none of this microwaving nonsense.

I respectfully disagree. I find that my microwave egg poacher produces
far superior results to doing it the old-fashioned way (although it's a
bugger to wash up, and is only in 2 parts so could be used for poi but
not for juggling).

Boiled eggs are another matter, though. Microwaved boiled eggs are
'orrible. But I did have 2 microwave egg boilers, in 2 parts each, so
they were at least juggleable.

JJuggle

não lida,
1 de mai. de 2003, 19:05:4601/05/2003
para

Scott,

I think this only goes to my point. Afterall, while we Americans are busy
empire building what are they busy doing? Well take a look, tagging along
and building juggling websites with stuff about parasols and interviews
with French women!

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ
- Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Stephen Bent

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 00:26:3302/05/2003
para

"Scott Seltzer" <sc...@juggler.net.nospam> wrote in message news:3eb16bdf$0$46129$bed6...@news.gradwell.net...

> And let's look at jugglers. Yeah, Gatto and Garfield are still American.
> But Boppo and Sarafian seem to have been replaced by Burrage, Beever, and
> Bone. Toby Walker and probably others seems to be representing the UK
> pretty well, too.

How could you not mention Vova and Olga? On the other hand, the Flying K's are from the US, and they are by far
the coolest jugglers anywhere, any time.

-Stephen

Jay Linn

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 05:19:3102/05/2003
para
"JJuggle" <jsn...@aol.com.nospam> wrote in message

<snip>

> I think this only goes to my point. Afterall, while we Americans are busy
> empire building what are they busy doing?

Where once the Old World trod, the New will surely follow. Great
Britain has considerable experience of building, and then losing, an empire.
An older, wiser nation now prefers only to build a dynasty of great
jugglers.

Scott's remark about the renaissance of British juggling is right on
the money, isn't it? Although r.j enjoys the company of many great talents
from all over Europe and beyond, it's the UK that seems to be the hothouse
of over-achievers at the moment. Of course, if you were to ask a Brit why
this is, you might well be told that it is a product of our defiantly
amateur attitudes to the process of learning to juggle - few Brits seem to
contribute to the frequent r.j threads about the minutiae of practice
regimens, for example.

But I'm not sure that attitudes here are entirely responsible. The
recent BJC got roughly 800 registrations [1], yet just ten years ago, BJCs
were generating something like 2,000+ registrations [2], and consequently
today's juggling scene in the UK enjoys the benefit of having distilled the
best talent from a larger pool over the last few years.

What I find particularly curious is the astonishing talent of some
people who don't seem to try particularly hard : Luke Burrage is a very fine
talent, but I'm not sure he is a true great, despite his eye-boggling
achievements. My gut feeling is that Luke has raised the bar several
notches, but soon someone truly great will come along and show us all that
Luke was just dabbling. Ben Beever's achievements at the highest numbers,
and his fantastic practical and theoretical grasp of site swap, are all the
more amazing when you consider that he is strictly an amateur who, as I
understand it, rarely ever performs, and then generally before his peers.
And Toby Walker seemingly enjoyed a nurturing juggling environment
throughout his youth, but that alone cannot account for his precocious
brilliance.

Which leaves me only one conclusion - it's the beer. Cheers!

[1] I don't really remember the figure, but I think that is a near enough
estimate.
[2] Again, I don't really know, but I believe this number to be there or
thereabouts. Perhaps mini can furnish some data.

--
Jay Linn

Musings. Actual facts may vary.

mini mansell

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 05:38:5102/05/2003
para
> [2] Again, I don't really know, but I believe this number to be there
or
> thereabouts. Perhaps mini can furnish some data.
>
> --
> Jay Linn

coventry was the largest ever BJC, yup numbers where over 2000.

The uk, at that time though was going through a Juggling Craze.

i actually had my first ever paying juggling gig back then. working in a
local chemists displaying "more balls then most" juggling balls

Jay Linn

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 05:44:0002/05/2003
para
"mini mansell" <mi...@juggler.net> wrote in message

<snip>

> i actually had my first ever paying juggling gig back then. working in a
> local chemists displaying "more balls then most" juggling balls

Arghhh!!!

<runs screaming in shame>

I did that gig, too, at f*cking Boots in f*cking Leicester, three
Saturdays in a row, just before Christmas. I think they paid about GBP40 a
day. Tightwads.

--
Jay Linn

The Chiefs of Staff have issued a new deck of cards.
Mötörhead have run for the hills.

Little Paul

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 05:48:3602/05/2003
para
Jay Linn wrote:

> What I find particularly curious is the astonishing talent of some
> people who don't seem to try particularly hard : Luke Burrage is a very fine
> talent, but I'm not sure he is a true great, despite his eye-boggling
> achievements.

He probably has the potential to be great if he took it "seriously" but
we wouldn't want that now would we...

> Ben Beever's achievements at the highest numbers,
> and his fantastic practical and theoretical grasp of site swap, are all the
> more amazing when you consider that he is strictly an amateur who, as I
> understand it, rarely ever performs, and then generally before his peers.

Perhaps his acheivements are *because* he doesn't perform and therefore
isn't constrained by thoughts of "what's commercial" which no doubt
limits the ammount of time available to work on this stuff.

*shrugs* I don't know, and to be honest... I couldn't care less.

> And Toby Walker seemingly enjoyed a nurturing juggling environment
> throughout his youth, but that alone cannot account for his precocious
> brilliance.

Isn't Luke Wilson (of http://lukaluka.com/eoccj/ fame) also a Brit?
He's a bit good too... and certainly one of the most creative performers
I can think of.

We Rock!

> Which leaves me only one conclusion - it's the beer. Cheers!

Here here! (Either that or it's the Marmite)

-Paul

Little Paul

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 05:51:2202/05/2003
para
Scott Seltzer wrote:

> And the best sites (IJDb, Luke's Thing, LAP, trickswithhats, and
> others) are from the UK...

On the one hand "yay! I'm responsible for 2 of the best sites"

On the other hand "LAP? wtf are you smoking?"

> Burrage, Beever, and Bone.

Sounds like a law firm to me...

-Paul

mini mansell

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 08:49:5702/05/2003
para
> > i actually had my first ever paying juggling gig back then. working in
> > local chemists displaying "more balls then most" juggling balls
>
> Arghhh!!!
>
> <runs screaming in shame>
>
> I did that gig, too, at f*cking Boots in f*cking Leicester, three
> Saturdays in a row, just before Christmas. I think they paid about GBP40 a
> day. Tightwads.
>
> --
> Jay Linn

sure where.

one of the only instances where juggling has benefited from a company going
bust

anselm

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 09:05:0402/05/2003
para
> And the best sites (IJDb, Luke's Thing, LAP,
> trickswithhats, and others) are from the UK...

Anglophilia at it's best !

I'm sure there was a hook there, and no one grabbed it,
so I'll go for it, no shame I have.

Yep, some of my favorite juggling sites are french sites.
I dunno if you can speak french, and if you can't you probably
can't compare, but please try to remember that most of earth's
population is not english speaking...

So perhaps, the best english-speaking sites are from the uk,
woohoo, flag wavin'n'stuff, but you'd be impressed at the
amount of french speaking sites (many of which aren't so good,
but that's the net for you). And for every other language spoken
in a country were most people can have proper access to internet,
I'm sure you'll find as many sites, and a few brilliant ones out
of the lot.

Internationally,
Anselm

Klas

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 09:25:3602/05/2003
para
> I think this only goes to my point. Afterall, while we Americans are busy
> empire building what are they busy doing? Well take a look, tagging along
> and building juggling websites with stuff about parasols and interviews
> with French women!

Don't really want to turn political, but as a non American nor Britt
it would be really nice to see America find some way to cheat and get
directly to the French women without the years of colonization. But I
really doubt that will happend...

Klas

---
I do have a jar of Marmite at home, but I'm not really sure how to use
it, any recommendations? It's kind of old (1-2 years) is that a
problem?

mini mansell

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 09:41:3602/05/2003
para
> I do have a jar of Marmite at home, but I'm not really sure how to use
> it, any recommendations? It's kind of old (1-2 years) is that a
> problem?

do you want recomendations for the mrmite? or for the Jar?

because there is reputed to be a nasty trick involving marmite jars and
Testicles

Jay Linn

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 09:42:1702/05/2003
para
"Klas" <ne...@flum.net> wrote in message

<snip>

> I do have a jar of Marmite at home, but I'm not really sure how to use
> it, any recommendations?

At last!! A sensible question.

It has a *very* strong flavour, so use it sparingly. The best way to
try it out is to spread it very thinly on toast, until you get the idea of
how much to use. Like all good things, it works well in simple combinations,
and Marmite on toast is about as good as it gets.

Then try Marmite and cucumber sandwiches; cheese on Marmite on
toast; add a dollop to stews and casseroles (especially vegeterian recipes);
grissini (breadsticks) and Marmite; crudités with Marmite; etc. etc. ad
nauseum (quite literally).

You could also try "Marmite bashing", where you gently tap a dollop
of Marmite with a knife until it turns white [1].

> It's kind of old (1-2 years) is that a
> problem?

Not at all. It probably has a longer shelf life than a long-life
shelf.

[1] No, of course I don't know *why*.

--
Jay Linn

Marmite is fantastically good for you, mainly because it is a by-product of
beer!

Jay Linn

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 09:43:1402/05/2003

> because there is reputed to be a nasty trick involving marmite jars and
> Testicles

I think we have our first act for the next renegade ...

Scott Kurland

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 09:51:0602/05/2003
para
anselm wrote:
>> And the best sites (IJDb, Luke's Thing, LAP,
>> trickswithhats, and others) are from the UK...
>>

> Anglophilia at it's best !
>
> I'm sure there was a hook there, and no one grabbed it,
> so I'll go for it, no shame I have.
>
> Yep, some of my favorite juggling sites are French sites.
> I dunno if you can speak French, and if you can't you probably

> can't compare, but please try to remember that most of earth's
> population is not English speaking...

An amusing remark to make while pushing French sites, considering that
roughly 4 times as many people speak English as French, and the ratio is
probably higher in the Crystal Wind.

> So perhaps, the best English-speaking sites are from the uk,

> woohoo, flag wavin'n'stuff, but you'd be impressed at the

> amount of French speaking sites (many of which aren't so good,

Little Paul

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 09:48:4302/05/2003
para
Klas wrote:

> I do have a jar of Marmite at home, but I'm not really sure how to use
> it, any recommendations?

There are 3 main options which are popular amongst the english, I'll
list them in ascending order of niceness.

Some people favour spreading it thinly on toast.

Some people use it as a sandwich filling (it goes especially well with
cheese ... my flatmate regularly has cheese ham and marmite sarnies
but that's a little too much salt for me :-)

However most people use it as a "dip" for when eating raw chillies. Get
a chilli and dip it in the marmite. Then suck the marmite off and
crunch the chilli. The firey heat nicely offsets the subtle saltyness
of the marmite. Lovely!

> It's kind of old (1-2 years) is that a problem?

Probably not... I'd still eat it.

Oh, and on no account should you attempt to fit your testicles into the
empty jar. I have been reliably informed by someone[1] that you can fit
them in but won't be able to get them out again...

-Paul
Remember kids... vegimite is not an acceptable substitute

[1] - Mini had a suspicious ammount of knowlege about the experience...

Daniel Mitchell

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 16:17:3202/05/2003
para
ne...@flum.net (Klas) wrote in
> I do have a jar of Marmite at home, but I'm not really sure how to use
> it, any recommendations? It's kind of old (1-2 years) is that a
> problem?

Beware if you haven't had it before.. See
http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/vegemite/vegemite.html for someone's
experiments.

(Vegemite isn't quite the same as Marmite, but they're near enough.
Weirdly, here in NZ, there's Vegemite, Marmite (which is in a red plastic
pot, not a round glass one) and the thing that's Marmite in the UK is
called "Our Mate" down here. They're all yeast extract spreads, but the
extra bits vary.)

-- (bendy) dan

Naomi

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 21:41:1502/05/2003
para

"Little Paul" <l...@juggler.net> wrote in message
> Scott Kurland wrote:
> I don't know, but you could ask the 10 or so webtv users that have
> looked at www.trickswithhats.org over the last month...

Only 10? I had lots more webtv visitors to my trickswithbras site and I
didn't post or advertise the address even once ;-)

Naomi

Naomi

não lida,
2 de mai. de 2003, 21:52:2402/05/2003

> Charlie wrote:

> A quick search of the archives reveals 154 matches for "toast" so it's
> actually quite a popular subject here. (By comparison a search for
> "slack rope" turns up 153 hits, which in my book makes toast more
> juggling related than standing on a bit of string...)

Of course it is: surely one important measure of a juggler is how well he
deals with a dropped slice of toast.
An expert catches it without greasing his fingers.
Somewhere down the novice end, of the scale a juggler is at least able to
control its landing to be butter side up.
This is totally out of reach for a non juggler.

Naomi

JJuggle

não lida,
3 de mai. de 2003, 09:20:5203/05/2003
para
Little Paul wrote:

> A quick search of the archives reveals 154 matches for "toast" so it's
> actually quite a popular subject here. (By comparison a search for
> "slack rope" turns up 153 hits, which in my book makes toast more
> juggling related than standing on a bit of string...)

Just for the record, if you combine the number of hits for "slackwire",
"slack wire", "slackrope", and "slack rope" you get 260 hits. If you do
the same for "toast", "toasting", "toasted" and "toaster" you get 184.
And, it should be noted, the variations of the latter have many more
possible meanings.

Cheers,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

JuggleRoB

não lida,
3 de mai. de 2003, 16:54:4703/05/2003
para

"bob dilworth" <bo...@juggler.net> schreef in bericht

> "Stu Carter" <s...@mini.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > Bad jugglers wear a silly costume to hide their lack of talent.*
>
> I take exception to this. I am a bad juggler almost void of talent and
have
> never worn a silly costume. :-)
>
> Bob

Same for me.

RoB

JuggleRoB

não lida,
3 de mai. de 2003, 17:04:5403/05/2003
para

"Stephen Bent" <steph...@ix.netcom.com.NOSPAM> schreef in bericht

> "Marco" <theoran...@NOSPAMlibero.it> wrote
> > Clown in italian is "clown" or "pagliaccio".
>
> Really? There's a great pizza place where I live called "Pagliacci's".
Is there a connection? If I juggle, can I
> get free pizza?
>
> -Stephen

NO !

You're a juggler, not a clown! It's behaviour like this that makes people
think that jugglers are clowns, so don't encourage it.

(although you could wear a silly costume and pretend to have no talent)

RoB

Scott Kurland

não lida,
3 de mai. de 2003, 23:32:1403/05/2003
para

Same for me except for the 'almost'.

--
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."
-- Seneca

Rob Stone

não lida,
5 de mai. de 2003, 08:29:5705/05/2003
para
In article <Xns936F9142A5295d...@203.96.92.12>,
Daniel Mitchell <djmit...@yahoo.com> wrote:

my most recent pot is called " I HATE " top as it lives at me Joolies
and she does indeeed not like it :-)

DavidKha

não lida,
5 de mai. de 2003, 19:20:0405/05/2003
para
The quote beneath my photo in my high school year books reads, "I'm a
juggler damnit, not a clown!" It's an annoying question because I really
don't like clowns that much, although I have met some nice clowns in my
years of performing. I think a lot of jugglers tend to associate more
with performers like Gato and less with Bozo. As long as I'm not mistaken
for a magician (which happens sometimes), I'm not terribly offended.

Dave

Stormx wrote:
> Hi !!
>
> i do not know whether this also happens regulary to you, but when i tell
> my friends about my juggling hobbie, they ask me if a am (or want to be)a
> CLOWN...??????
>
> Of course, i have nothing against clowns, but in my case, i am attracted
> just to juggling, and not to disguise myself to play a clown!! So, that
> confussion bothers me a little.
>
> Why do you think there is such association between juggling and clowns,
> when both activities are completely different? (tough can be combined,
> naturally...). Probably because both are classical circus activities, who
> knows...
>
> Juan

KlasA

não lida,
6 de mai. de 2003, 03:41:4706/05/2003
para
Thanks everyone for all info. I'd never guessed that the little jar on my
shelf could be used for so much, bashing, eating, testicles... So many
options.
This is what I like with this news groups, all the little information
about exotic cultures that you'll never find in guide books.

> Some people favour spreading it thinly on toast.
>
> Some people use it as a sandwich filling (it goes especially well with
> cheese ... my flatmate regularly has cheese ham and marmite sarnies
> but that's a little too much salt for me :-)

I'll experiement a little. If I can't find any combination that suits my
taste it'll still look good on the shelf. Gives the kitchen a bit of a
foreign and mysterious look.

I actually got the jar in exchange for some Terva from an Englishman
called Bob. He claimed that the taste was similliar, but I can assure all
Finnish people that never tasted Marmite that the two don't have much in
common.

Klas

0 nova mensagem