High patterns

1 view

Mats1

Apr 23, 2008, 5:45:27 PM4/23/08
I've been practicing 744 recently and I think I'm in love with high
throws...

Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
throws? It doesn't matter how hard they are (as long as they are
possible), I'll start easy and work up to the harder ones or something
like that, so long as they are prettyful.

Thus far I've only got 744, 94444, 5 ball box and d151.

-Thanks guys and gals :)

Matt Hall

Apr 23, 2008, 5:53:45 PM4/23/08

I've got a real sweetheart for you....

b633633

Try running it.

Try running it with Machine carries on the first '3' of each 633

Enjoy!!!

matt

Alan Morgan

Apr 23, 2008, 5:51:03 PM4/23/08
In article <480fadf7$0$640$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>,
Mats1 <ma...@hotmail.co.uk.nospam.com> wrote:

>Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
>throws?

75751
777171 (excited state)
97531

If you want a 3 ball siteswap with a high throw, 801 should keep you
busy. If that's too easy then b01 should beat you nicely into
submission.

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

MartinQ

Apr 23, 2008, 6:49:29 PM4/23/08
Mats1 wrote:

> I've been practicing 744 recently and I think I'm in love with high
> throws...
>
> Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
> throws? It doesn't matter how hard they are (as long as they are
> possible), I'll start easy and work up to the harder ones or something
> like that, so long as they are prettyful.
>
> Thus far I've only got 744, 94444, 5 ball box and d151.

Which 5ball box do you do? and do you have a video of it?

> -Thanks guys and gals :)

Matt Hall's one looks lovely!

Another fun high throw is a multiplexed throw such as [8,7]333 or
[a,9]33333 depending on the hight you have lots of time for 3 ball tricks.
Also the 333 could be a 441 or a 423 with a body thrown 2. Lots of
potential for creativity!

I also like high throws out of (6x,4)* leaving space for synch 4 ball
tricks below.

Best of luck!

Martin

Tombre

Apr 23, 2008, 7:33:03 PM4/23/08
How about...
95551
88441
75751
8642
(8x,4)(4,4)*
7733

Will S

Apr 23, 2008, 7:39:42 PM4/23/08
Mats1 wrote:

> I've been practicing 744 recently and I think I'm in love with high
> throws...
>
> Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
> throws? It doesn't matter how hard they are (as long as they are
> possible), I'll start easy and work up to the harder ones or something
> like that, so long as they are prettyful.
>
> Thus far I've only got 744, 94444, 5 ball box and d151.
>
> -Thanks guys and gals :)

9551 is quite nice...getting in from 7571.

753 mmmmm

Will

agedest

Apr 23, 2008, 11:11:12 PM4/23/08
What you could have done, before it was deleted by Colin with LPaul's
consultation, is just look through the JuggleWiki in the five-ball
section. There were a hundred or so there, already animated well
enough for you to see what would be involved. Many were listed by
site-swap, so you could have gone through looking for the toss you
wanted. If you wanted to practice a particular combination of toss,
you could have looked for four-period patterns; or looked for only
three- and five-periods if you wanted something to present. Now, with
it poofed and with no news here of its resurrection by others (as
promised at that thread), you will have to wait for someone to suggest
one they like and plug it into an animator yourself, or rummage
through massive collections (reportedly two thousand at Juggling Lab)
of derived strings only some of which are sorted as you want.

I was the only one in the entire world who thought there was some
value in the JuggleWiki -- and still do.

-

bill coad

Apr 24, 2008, 1:02:48 AM4/24/08
Mats1 wrote:

> I've been practicing 744 recently and I think I'm in love with high
> throws...
>
> Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
> throws? It doesn't matter how hard they are (as long as they are
> possible), I'll start easy and work up to the harder ones or something
> like that, so long as they are prettyful.
>
> Thus far I've only got 744, 94444, 5 ball box and d151.
>
> -Thanks guys and gals :)

8552 is a relatively easy 5 ball siteswap with a high throw.

Matthew Tiffany

Apr 24, 2008, 5:38:19 AM4/24/08
Mats1 wrote:

> I've been practicing 744 recently and I think I'm in love with high
> throws...
>
> Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
> throws? It doesn't matter how hard they are (as long as they are
> possible), I'll start easy and work up to the harder ones or something
> like that, so long as they are prettyful.
>
> Thus far I've only got 744, 94444, 5 ball box and d151.
>
> -Thanks guys and gals :)

hi
9595151
95353
993333
(6x,4)(8x,6)(4,2x)*
d75317531
66 861 661 excited
944 933 44 excited
667 915 ?? excited

if you wanna look at these patterns and generate more of your own use this
animator http://jugglinglab.sourceforge.net/bin/example_gen.html
tiff

Little Paul

Apr 24, 2008, 7:10:23 AM4/24/08
On 2008-04-24, agedest <ber...@wmconnect.com> wrote:
> What you could have done, before it was deleted by Colin with LPaul's
> consultation, is just look through the JuggleWiki in the five-ball
> section.

There's nothing to stop you looking at jugglewiki on archive.org if
you really miss it. Here, I'll even provide a link for the terminally
lazy. http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.jugglingdb.com/jugglewiki/

I'll note that despite several pleas for volunteers - no one has
rushed forward to host/repopulate jugglewiki.

> I was the only one in the entire world who thought there was some
> value in the JuggleWiki -- and still do.

Ooh! I stand (well sit really) corrected! Well done for volunteering
to put the effort in to resurrect it![1]

Drop Colin an email and he'll be able to provide you with a static
copy of the content. www.dreamhost.com make it really easy for you
to host a wiki (they're pretty cheap as well, even cheaper if you
use LPBKMAX as your referral code when signing up) setting up the
wiki is just a case of clicking one button on the control panel
for their hosting and then importing the old content.

The wiki syntax used will be slightly different as dreamhost supply
you with mediawiki rather than phpwiki - but there are plenty of
free tools available to convert content from one form to another.

Thanks again for volunteering! It was a shame that we had to lose
jugglewiki from the ijdb - I'm glad someone is keen enough to get
the content back that they're willing to put their money where their
mouth is!

-Paul
--
paulseward.com - a photo a day for 2008
100jugglers.org - 100 pieces of signed juggling promotional material

Colin E.

Apr 24, 2008, 7:24:54 AM4/24/08
agedest wrote:

> What you could have done, before it was deleted by Colin with LPaul's
> consultation, is just look through the JuggleWiki in the five-ball
> section.

Hey LP ... what should we delete next? This rec.juggling waffle seems like
a waste of space, I await your command!

On a serious note, there is someone interested in taking over JuggleWiki,
and I will be doing what I can to help.

Regards,
Colin E.

Ed Provencher

Apr 24, 2008, 7:53:16 AM4/24/08

I thought these were reletively easy to hit for one or two rounds on
my first few attempts. Running them is another story. At my level of
ability, I really enjoy busting out two or three rounds of these and
then going back into the cascade to go for the next one. If you try
these, let me know what you think of them!

6752
7463
7562
7445

www.icantstopjuggling.blogspot.com

Benjamin Block

Apr 24, 2008, 8:03:23 AM4/24/08
Mats1 wrote:

> I've been practicing 744 recently and I think I'm in love with high
> throws...
>
> Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
> throws? It doesn't matter how hard they are (as long as they are
> possible), I'll start easy and work up to the harder ones or something
> like that, so long as they are prettyful.
>
> Thus far I've only got 744, 94444, 5 ball box and d151.
>
> -Thanks guys and gals :)

d75317531 looks awesome when done cleanly.

Mats1

Apr 24, 2008, 9:45:11 AM4/24/08

I use Jongl to watch the patterns in (what an awesum program that Jongl
is).

Thanks for all these wonderful patterns, I'll watch through them all and
then begin taking them on. Hopefully a few of them can be in my video this
summer :)

-Mats

agedest

Apr 24, 2008, 9:51:19 AM4/24/08
Ed Provencher wrote:
>  If you try these, let me know what you think of them!
>
> 6752
> 7463
> 7562
> 7445

The first thing I think of them is, Uh-oh, four-period. That means
the same hand does the same tosses over and over. Which is good for a
drill for a particular sequence, as mentioned above; but for running
and for display, most do not want "asymmetric" patterns; "symmetric"
would have three or five digits etc. in the code. For '6752' one hand
will make only one toss, a '7' after a pause after catching a '5',
over and over. The other hand will be always looping a '6 and then
crossing a '5', over and over.

For '6752' what has been done is to take '567' which is a six-ball
pattern (any odd number of consecutive digits is a valid pattern, with
the middle digit the number of balls) and add a '2' to make it a five-
ball pattern, but which is another 'Uh-oh" because '2' means holding a
ball instead of keeping tossing, and again, most do not want that in a
pattern ever. If you wanted to make those tosses, and keep it
switching hand order, you could also add a '0' for '67520' making it
also a four-ball pattern. Note that '7562' is the same group of
tosses, with the order of the '6' and '2' switched, which cannot be
counted on without testing it in an animator. Reversing order is
rarely possible, for instance. With this switch, the '6' hand now
crosses a '7' instead of a '5' while the other hand pauses and then
crosses a '5'.

The '7445' is '744' with a '5' added, which was a whole page at
JuggleWiki of five-ball patterns that have a '5' added. It is
commonly possible to do that: add a '4' to a four-ball pattern, add a
'5' to a five-ball pattern, etc. But you also change the period
count, so that '744' no longer changes hands throughout, or would if
it did not. Adding more shows how to shift into a pattern from
Cascade.

The best of the bunch is '7463' in which each hand gets to toss a loop
and then a cross, one hand doing '7' then '6', the other doing '4'
then '3'. But again, one hand is stressed far more than the other,
and most do not want that. You will also be facing collisions, which
are not reliably resolved by the default settings for animators,
certainly not for JuggleLab (which was the engine for JuggleWiki)
which is also plagued with rubber arms and snapping elbows. The two
cludges are outside/inside throws, and high/low release/catch, which
masters work out on their own while learning the pattern, but will
make others give up. For '7463' the problem will be the '3' smacking
into the toss of the '7' so that where you release and aim the catch
will be critical. A '7' is terrible for interfering with everything
else, no matter which side another toss is on '7' will likely cross
it.

Note that all these patterns had been animated, resolved without
collisions for large balls or snapping elbows/rubber arms and at a
comfortable speed, at JuggleWiki, with no need for such anaylysis and
comprehension, by you.

-

Ewano

Apr 24, 2008, 11:13:59 AM4/24/08
agedest wrote:

> Note that all these patterns had been animated, resolved without
> collisions for large balls or snapping elbows/rubber arms and at a
> comfortable speed, at JuggleWiki, with no need for such anaylysis and
> comprehension, by you.

Here's something to think about..

Many of the *neutral* juggling resources available on the net are taken
for granted, but are actually maintained by volunteers - quite often at
thier own personal expense to maintain a service that they think is
important.

In the case of the wiki, although it had it's uses - it also had it's
problems. One of which was that ultimately the responsibility for the
content of the wiki came down to Colin as the owner of the ijdb service.
If there is nobody to do the work of maintaining the content of the wiki,
it doesn't mean there is no work to be done. So because it didn't benefit
Colin more than it caused him problems, it was pulled from service.

If someone had stepped forward to say "I can do that work, and I will
because I care about that particular service." - 'm pretty sure Colin
would have said "Great! Here you go. What help do you need to get the job
done."

As it was/is the service does not seem to be important enough to anyone
(although Colin has hinted that someone is looking at the wiki project) to
prompt them to step forward to help run that part of the service.

Perhaps if *you* feel strongly enough about a service, *you* could step up
like others before you have done and offer *your* time, money and passion
to maintain the project.

Complaining about it not happening does nothing except to make the people
who work to provide those services feel like they are not appreciated.

Ewano - thanking anyone who provides free services for jugglers every year
just for the love of it - you're all lovely.

Ed Provencher

Apr 24, 2008, 11:18:56 AM4/24/08

:-)

Matt Hall

Apr 24, 2008, 11:28:39 AM4/24/08
On Apr 24, 2:38 am, tiffty...@hotmail.com.nospam.com (Matthew Tiffany)
wrote:

> Mats1 wrote:
>
> > I've been practicing 744 recently and I think I'm in love with high
> > throws...
>
> > Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
> > throws? It doesn't matter how hard they are (as long as they are
> > possible), I'll start easy and work up to the harder ones or something
> > like that, so long as they are prettyful.
>
> > Thus far I've only got 744, 94444, 5 ball box and d151.
>
> > -Thanks guys and gals :)
>
> hi
> 9595151
> 95353
> 993333
> (6x,4)(8x,6)(4,2x)*
> d75317531
> 66 861 661 excited
> 944 933 44 excited
> 667 915 ??  excited
>
> if you wanna look at these patterns and generate more of your own use this
> animatorhttp://jugglinglab.sourceforge.net/bin/example_gen.html

> tiff
>
> --

For 915, may I humbly recommend entering with 955 instead of 667,
which is just a pain in the ass. Also, for exits, you can try 24 or
51. It's all good!

you go Tiff,

matt

Adam Rowney

Apr 24, 2008, 11:35:51 AM4/24/08
Mats1 wrote:

> I've been practicing 744 recently and I think I'm in love with high
> throws...
>
> Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
> throws? It doesn't matter how hard they are (as long as they are
> possible), I'll start easy and work up to the harder ones or something
> like that, so long as they are prettyful.
>
> Thus far I've only got 744, 94444, 5 ball box and d151.

b171 mmm
d19151 mmmm
d17171 mmmmm
Mmmmmm!!!
Enjoy!

The Void

Apr 24, 2008, 11:44:49 AM4/24/08
Adam Rowney wrote:
> Mmmmmm

That's a 22 ball fountain. You got it on video?

The Void
I'd settle for wimpy

Adam Rowney

Apr 24, 2008, 3:44:24 PM4/24/08
The Void wrote:

> Adam Rowney wrote:
> > Mmmmmm
>
> That's a 22 ball fountain. You got it on video?

Haha :)
No but I once flashed it in sync...
.. but thats not juggling I hear.

Hydrophidian

Apr 24, 2008, 4:54:43 PM4/24/08
On a side note, I've been doing a 4b version of 7571. Anyone happen to
know the siteswap?

I've also been doing a two sided version by gathering a couple and
reversing it.

I really need to get better at finding my own siteswap notation, I
know.

-Rico

Alan Morgan

Apr 24, 2008, 5:37:57 PM4/24/08
In article <428e9ae8-85ee-4502...@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>,

Hydrophidian <hydrop...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On a side note, I've been doing a 4b version of 7571. Anyone happen to
>know the siteswap?

Tough call. 6451 is one "logical" reduction of 7571 down to 4 balls,
but it loses the high crossing throws. 7531 brings them back, but then
you no longer have two throws of the same height. It might be (6x4x)(2x4x),
which has crossing throws and two throws of the same height, but it also
is sync, which you would probably having commented on.

It's also possible that you are doing 6x 4x 5 1 with some fudging of the
timing. Siteswap can only do so much.

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

agedest

Apr 24, 2008, 9:45:31 PM4/24/08
Hydrophidian wrote:
> I've been doing a 4b version of 7571. Anyone happen to
> know the siteswap?
> I've also been doing a two sided version by gathering a couple and
> reversing it.

'75071' may not be what you are doing, but it is the same tosses with
four balls, and being five-period it changes hands every cycle. And,
as noted above, there is a conflict between the second '7' and the
'5'. There is the same conflict in the five-ball version, and both
are resolved by tossing the '5' tight and tossing the '7' outside and
over it, similar to a Half-shower pattern. This four-ball version is
highly recommended for the o.p. too, it has a wonderful '7' two-ball
chase, as you can see by writing it as '71750'.

-

agedest

Apr 24, 2008, 10:10:54 PM4/24/08
Adam Rowney wrote:
> b171     mmm
> d19151 mmmm
> d17171 mmmmm

This is a liability of site-swap: it becomes a silly game people play
with numbers just to play with numbers. Who the hell is tossing a
thirteen, and where? There are reportedly some tossing an eleven to
do b97531, and the result would be worth the effort for anyone who
thought it possible for them. But what are offered by Adam are just
extensions of the arithmetic: how many numbers have five as a factor,
and how many ways can you total to them. Site-swap generators do that
sort of chore, so what? Just how bored are the hundreds of five-ball
jugglers, they need a lot of options to keep them busy? There are
thousands of strings of numbers that are judged "valid" site-swaps, so
what? All that crap about the longest valid string from the
extensions of pi, so what? How many people are sick and tired of
doing any of those senseless strings, that they need a longer one?

People want a challenge, or they wouldn't juggle, and they want
something that is a pattern for the same reason. Those values are not
equally contained in all possible valid strings of numbers. What the
o.p. asked was, what are the good ones, for five balls, with '7's,
that others actually do and enjoy? All possible answers are not in
yet, but plenty to keep him busy for a while.

-

Matthew Tiffany

Apr 25, 2008, 3:58:10 AM4/25/08
955 is a much better entry, ill try that, i never remember exits of
patterns, i never usually get that far!!

Jack Denger

Apr 25, 2008, 3:18:15 PM4/25/08
Mats1 wrote:

> I've been practicing 744 recently and I think I'm in love with high
> throws...
>
> Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
> throws? It doesn't matter how hard they are (as long as they are
> possible), I'll start easy and work up to the harder ones or something
> like that, so long as they are prettyful.
>
> Thus far I've only got 744, 94444, 5 ball box and d151.
>
> -Thanks guys and gals :)

I got an h444444444444 the other day. try that.

Adam Rowney

Apr 25, 2008, 5:15:58 PM4/25/08
agedest wrote:

> Adam Rowney wrote:
> > b171     mmm
> > d19151 mmmm
> > d17171 mmmmm
>
> This is a liability of site-swap: it becomes a silly game people play
> with numbers just to play with numbers. Who the hell is tossing a
> thirteen, and where?

These are pretty popular 5 ball shower patterns,
Hi-lo
hi-mid-lo
hi-lo-lo
thats why you wold have the siteswap 13 (d)

MartinQ

Apr 25, 2008, 5:56:46 PM4/25/08
agedest wrote:

> Who the hell is tossing a
> thirteen, and where?

didnt Peter Bone toss (not to mention catch!) thirteen of them?

Hydrophidian

Apr 25, 2008, 7:02:39 PM4/25/08
On Apr 24, 3:54 pm, Hydrophidian <hydrophid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On a side note, I've been doing a 4b version of 7571. Anyone happen to
> know the siteswap?

I figured it out. It's just a half-shower version of 5551.

> I've also been doing a two sided version by gathering a couple and
> reversing it.

Also, 55514, half-shower.

-Rico

/really off topic, I know

agedest

Apr 25, 2008, 10:21:41 PM4/25/08
Adam Rowney wrote:
> These are pretty popular 5 ball shower patterns,

[realizing on closer consideration that of course they would be
showers, humbled painfully by such an egregious error and humiliated
for making such an undeserved and pointless rant, he decided it better
to not even apologize, just disappear, promising, perhaps finally for
the last time, to never bother those people again.]

-

popstar_dave

Apr 27, 2008, 11:48:45 PM4/27/08

I'd also give 575151 a go. It's similar to what you're describing, and a
lot of fun, especially with the 7s as outside throws.

Dave

Hydrophidian

Apr 28, 2008, 3:56:49 AM4/28/08

> I'd also give 575151 a go.  It's similar to what you're describing, and a
> lot of fun, especially with the 7s as outside throws.

That's a killer looking pattern. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks,
-Rico

jbarlow

Apr 29, 2008, 6:24:07 PM4/29/08

Here's a similar (and fun) pattern, 746151
I ran into it when working on transitions into 741

Jim

ChaseMartin

Apr 30, 2008, 11:51:16 PM4/30/08
I think a 744 744 96451 744 96451 744 744 is gorgeous. It's pretty much
collision proof, so just juggle the 744, then throw what would have been a
7 with some extra pepper on it, and do a 6451 just as if you were doing it
with only 4 balls. I find going straight back into 744 to be the same
difficulty as returning to a cascade here, personally.

Scott Seltzer

May 3, 2008, 5:47:37 AM5/3/08
Mats1 wrote:

> I've been practicing 744 recently and I think I'm in love with high
> throws...
>
> Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
> throws? It doesn't matter how hard they are (as long as they are
> possible), I'll start easy and work up to the harder ones or something
> like that, so long as they are prettyful.
>
> Thus far I've only got 744, 94444, 5 ball box and d151.

744 extends to 8444, 94444, a44444, etc.

The 4444 in 94444 is replaceable to give 97531, 95551, 97441, etc.

As many suggested, 75751 is not too hard.

663, 7733, 88333 are a nice family and once you get to 8, you can replace
the 333 to get 88441 or 88531.

I like siteswaps with double 1s so 777711 is fun, particularly if you pass
one of the 1s behind the back (experiment with first or second one behind
the back since they both give a different feel). Extensions include
8888111 and 99991111. A replacement of the 7777 gives 868611 which is also
nice.

-Scott

RobinDuyck

May 4, 2008, 6:30:41 AM5/4/08
Mats1 wrote:

> I've been practicing 744 recently and I think I'm in love with high
> throws...
>
> Any suggestions for some nice 5 ball siteswaps or tricks that involve high
> throws?

d75317531

ChaseMartin

May 5, 2008, 12:56:19 AM5/5/08
MartinQ wrote:

> agedest wrote:
> >
> > Who the hell is tossing a
> > thirteen, and where?
>
> didnt Peter Bone toss (not to mention catch!) thirteen of them?

haha