Druggling

crazy hippy

May 19, 2008, 12:17:21 PM5/19/08
I was curious how other jugglers feel about JUI (juggling under the
influence). I used to be a pretty dedicated gamer and liked nothing
more than to puff a bit on my magical hippy pipe of wonder and sit
down to a few hours of Halo or Everquest or whathaveyou.
Now, thought, since I started juggling, after an evening of typical
hippy antics I usually spend that time juggling.
It is interesting to think about if my drug-induced runs are more or
less productive than sober-minded ones (i am still not sure, but i am
selflessly continuing to experiment as often as i can).

Any thoughts?

Bekah.Smith

May 19, 2008, 2:47:41 PM5/19/08

Productive in what way? Are you a technical juggler or do you like to be
more creative? I mean, I've tried juggling under the influence, and I
could still do 5 balls...but it looked like hell, so I imagine that it
would be tough to be productive in a technical realm. Maybe you could
come up with some cool manipulations, though...?

"...selflessly continuing to experiment..." - hahaha

Everquest rocked, but juggling is indeed way better. :)

- Bekah

KooKie

May 19, 2008, 3:46:25 PM5/19/08

This topic has been discussed has been already discussed about a year ago

http://www.jugglingdb.com/news/thread.php?author=KooKie&offset=120&id=170899&group=1

and before that...
http://www.jugglingdb.com/news/thread.php?lang=nl&id=161721&group=1

Don't know if the links will work properly, but the first topic basically
discussed juggling under the influence of pills like multi-vitamins or
energy drinks.

Here's what I had to say :

>I do believe my drug of choice, pot, definitely helps to be more creative
>sometimes.
>furthermore, & this might sound strange to some people cuz of the
>stereotype "lazy-sits around & smokes pot all day-hippie" bullshit, but it
>sometimes even helps me to get focused in a way. I get obsessive and all
>things around me are less distractive.

>Some side-effects though :), like
>1. thinking you're the beez-kneez after doing a ridiculously easy trick
>2. getting distracted and doing a boston mess for 15 minutes cuz it "feels
>funny"
>3. frequently playing guitar, resting, eating and staring at things during
>practice
>ow, and no 360酒, believe me :)

Something I want to add to this.

Smoking pot during practice sessions helps you:
-to get less frustrated with drops or not understanding the pattern.
-forget everything else but the task at hand.
-boost your confidence, makes you think you actually can pull it off
-be more creative in so many ways.

.. but of course there are downsides to it like wooziness(sp?),
over-excitement that leads to drops, lack of precision, etc...
(schizofrenia and cancer ^^ )

I've tried LSD too... but that didn't work at all!

The 2nd link doesn't work anymore apparently... any help there?

simat

May 19, 2008, 3:53:25 PM5/19/08

I tried juggling drunk once, and it didnt go well. In my defence I was
probably the most drunk i've ever been. I could still do a very wobbly 3
ball cascade though. It was well weird, i looked like my friends when they
try to juggle.

Sondre Øverby

May 19, 2008, 4:18:04 PM5/19/08

My thoughts are... I SERIOUSLY hope you don't let any non-juggler
associate juggling with you while you are under the influence of anything.
If so, I hereby declare you a bad example. Actually I do that either way.

KooKie

May 19, 2008, 4:33:47 PM5/19/08
Sondre Řverby wrote:

> My thoughts are... I SERIOUSLY hope you don't let any non-juggler
> associate juggling with you while you are under the influence of anything.
> If so, I hereby declare you a bad example. Actually I do that either way.

Oh yeah, I forgot:

"Drugs are bad, never do drugs kids"

"Avoid all needle drugs. The only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon."

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but
they've always worked for me."

"Businessmen they drink my wine, come and taste my herb."

extra points if you know from who they are

ijuggle42

May 19, 2008, 5:23:04 PM5/19/08

Jimmy Hendrix...

Jay Linn

May 19, 2008, 6:30:57 PM5/19/08
On Mon, 19 May 2008 22:23:04 +0100, ijuggle42
<ijug...@yahoo.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> KooKie wrote:

>> Sondre Øverby wrote:
>> >

>> > My thoughts are... I SERIOUSLY hope you don't let any non-juggler
>> > associate juggling with you while you are under the influence of
>> anything.
>> > If so, I hereby declare you a bad example. Actually I do that either
>> way.
>> >

>> Oh yeah, I forgot:
>>
>> "Drugs are bad, never do drugs kids"
>>
>> "Avoid all needle drugs. The only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon."
>>
>> "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but
>> they've always worked for me."
>>
>> "Businessmen they drink my wine, come and taste my herb."
>>
>> extra points if you know from who they are
>>

> Jimmy Hendrix...

... covered the Bob Dylan song.

--
Jay Linn

E pur si muove.

Greg Murphy

May 19, 2008, 6:55:28 PM5/19/08

"See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think
drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and
take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because,
you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced
your lives throughout the years? Real fucking high on drugs"

Adam Rowney

May 19, 2008, 7:05:52 PM5/19/08
KooKie wrote:

> Sondre Řverby wrote:
> >

> > My thoughts are... I SERIOUSLY hope you don't let any non-juggler
> > associate juggling with you while you are under the influence of anything.
> > If so, I hereby declare you a bad example. Actually I do that either way.
> >

> Oh yeah, I forgot:
>
> "Drugs are bad, never do drugs kids"

Mr Mackie from Southpark :P

Aidan

May 19, 2008, 7:19:43 PM5/19/08

I remember once at the London convention (it did use to happen) returning
from the pub after several pints of London Pride and having a very
productive passing session.

Alos once at the Great british Beer festival I noted that although I could
no longer juggle five balls, i could quite happily do a Boston mess!
Aidan.

ultimatewannabe

May 19, 2008, 8:16:17 PM5/19/08

I haven't been drunk since I was 14 and I have never been under the
influence of any other drugs. The only things that interest me are
difficult enough that they are only possible in an ideal situation (good
lighting, not hungry, no wind, on and on and on).

bill coad

May 19, 2008, 8:35:25 PM5/19/08

I enjoy Michael Hedges covering All Along The Watchtower - at least he
would do some contact juggling during his shows.

As for druggling...
I think this is a nice era for juggling as records can be documented by
videotape. As drug testing is getting more rampant in other disciplines,
there may come a time when video alone won't be proof of a record without
also submitting to a drug test to prevent performance enhancements.

Mark Nicoll

May 19, 2008, 8:36:07 PM5/19/08
> "See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think
> drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and
> take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because,
> you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced
> your lives throughout the years? Real fucking high on drugs"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10w3FuCwfQ& <- Bill Hicks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA

I've only tried juggling while drinking. Within the first hour or so the
loss of tension helps, thereafter the loss of coordination hinders.
Probably not a sustainable relaxation aid to juggling.

Sondre Øverby

May 20, 2008, 2:24:15 AM5/20/08

Good one.

Matthew Tiffany

May 20, 2008, 4:09:22 AM5/20/08
yo
i managed at the last durham to drink 4 beers and 'smoke' and still
flash 11 balls after midnight but i agree with sondre that this socially
accepatable habit of 'smoking' at conventions shouldnt be broadcast to the
rest of the world!
tiff
xx

Unicycle Tone

May 20, 2008, 4:34:51 AM5/20/08

> "See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think
> drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and
> take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because,
> you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced
> your lives throughout the years? Real fucking high on drugs"

Oh yeah? Which albums exactly? Great generalisation though.

Jay Linn

May 20, 2008, 4:48:22 AM5/20/08

Ooh, there's a can of worms. Here's a few off the cuff :-

Most of Billie Holiday's catalogue.
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, plus lots of other Beatles
stuff.
A great deal of Miles Davis' output.
Charlie Parker's catalogue.
Much of George Melly's work.
The Temptations seminal album Psychedelic Shack.
Much of Primal Scream's catalogue.
A lot of The Doors' stuff.
Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd stuff.
A lot of Led Zeppelin's albums.
Much of Louis Armstrong's oeuvre.
Everything ever recorded, said, done, or even fleetingly thought of by
Motley Crue [1].
Cocaine-inflected Eagles recordings, which I imagine includes Hotel
California.
Pretty much anything recorded David Bowie's wonder years in the decadent
70s.
Most Velvet Underground recordings and a lot of early Lou Reed solo stuff.
A huge catalogue of reggae, ragga, dancehall, and other ganja-influenced
stuff.

Hmm, hardly an exhaustive list, but that's loads already. Hicks may have
had a point.

[1] Yes, I know that the Crue are utterly ridiculous, and hardly "great
music" but what they lacked in musicianship they made up for in
pharmaceutical hedonism.

GuillaumePan

May 20, 2008, 4:55:25 AM5/20/08
KooKie wrote:

> "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but
> they've always worked for me."

This one is from Hunter Thompson, right ?

alastair

May 20, 2008, 6:47:08 AM5/20/08

I think the rest of the quote runs something like, " the beatles, thety
were so hi they even let ringo sing a tune..."

crazy hippy

May 20, 2008, 8:52:23 AM5/20/08
On May 19, 4:18 pm, sondre_goes_...@sjonglering.com.nospam.com (Sondre

wow. aren't we just a charming little fascist in training?

what ill has marijuana ever brought that has not been a direct result
of its criminalization?

in direct response to your comment, as a responsible adult i eschew
public appearances when under the influence, and indulge only in
situations in which i am comfortable. That being said, i juggle high
at parties and with my friends frequently--how, in your myopic and
self-righteous eyes is that in any way a "bad example?"

Mark Nicoll

May 20, 2008, 9:55:53 AM5/20/08
crazy hippy wrote:

> On May 19, 4:18 pm, sondre_goes_...@sjonglering.com.nospam.com (Sondre

I don't think he was moralising or commenting on the legitimacy of drugs
so much as trying to make the point that if you juggle and get high in the
company of non jugglers, people might associate the two as being some how
connected. No mater how tolerant /you/ may be, this simply confirms the
tabloid newspaper reading masses's worst prejudices that all jugglers are
pot heads and are therefore A Joke and A Bad Thing, Not To Be Taken
Seriously.

Marden117

May 20, 2008, 10:07:42 AM5/20/08

All of my best practice sessions were done while high on skunk.
For me, being lean makes everything appear slower and more controlled and
my attention is fixed solely on the pattern and all track of time is lost.
At the same time my arms feel detached as though they are doing all the
work and I don't need to mentally concentrate on what they are doing. They
frequently do their own thing and I am just an audience watching them and
that's the point when new discoveries are made because my mind was allowed
to take a step back.

ForestCloak

May 20, 2008, 1:38:42 PM5/20/08

Closest I've ever been to feeling anything like I was high or drunk was
when I was extremely sleep deprived. Yeah...my juggling was nar so goot.
But I don't drink or do drugs. In my opinion I find both to be a
hinderance and I'm likely to do something stupid or seriously hurt
someone.

MichaelB

May 20, 2008, 2:35:49 PM5/20/08
KooKie wrote:

> "Businessmen they drink my wine, come and taste my herb."
>
> extra points if you know from who they are

Bob Dylan "All Along the Watchtower" ?

GLF00

May 20, 2008, 2:45:44 PM5/20/08
crazy hippy wrote:

> wow. aren't we just a charming little fascist in training?

It seems to me that any time anyone mentions having standards against
something, other people jump on him and declare him "intolerant".
Honestly, would those of us who think that certain things are wrong ever
get anything done if we only made wimpy statements like "but that's only
my opinion, if you want to drink, smoke pot, murder, etc. that's your
choice"? If you want to get something done you have to be able to take a
strong stand on your position (and obviously, you have to be able to stand
up to people who declare you intolerant and call you names).

> what ill has marijuana ever brought that has not been a direct result
> of its criminalization?

Check this out:

http://www.acde.org/common/Marijana.htm

Plus, smoking anything can lead to lung cancer.

> how, in your myopic and
> self-righteous eyes is that in any way a "bad example?"

Perhaps by posting about it on a forum that several teenagers frequent?

pumpkineater23

May 20, 2008, 2:57:41 PM5/20/08
crazy hippy wrote:

> I was curious how other jugglers feel about JUI (juggling under the
> influence). I used to be a pretty dedicated gamer and liked nothing
> more than to puff a bit on my magical hippy pipe of wonder and sit
> down to a few hours of Halo or Everquest or whathaveyou.
> Now, thought, since I started juggling, after an evening of typical
> hippy antics I usually spend that time juggling.
> It is interesting to think about if my drug-induced runs are more or
> less productive than sober-minded ones (i am still not sure, but i am
> selflessly continuing to experiment as often as i can).
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> I almost always smoke my vaporizer before juggling.. I've always found MJ to
be the perfect sharpener. I find it much more difficult to 'let the juggling
juggle itself' when not high. Some stronger psychedelics are great for me also
although I rarely do them these days. Can't juggle after a few drinks though.

crazy hippy

May 20, 2008, 3:08:12 PM5/20/08

> All of my best practice sessions were done while high on skunk.
> For me, being lean makes everything appear slower and more controlled and
> my attention is fixed solely on the pattern and all track of time is lost.
> At the same time my arms feel detached as though they are doing all the
> work and I don't need to mentally concentrate on what they are doing. They
> frequently do their own thing and I am just an audience watching them and
> that's the point when new discoveries are made because my mind was allowed
> to take a step back.
>
> --

I know what you mean. I've been working on clawed mills mess patterns,
and I finally got a nice bit of puff and everything came together.
I have had a lot of experiences like that. Sometimes a bit of green
just seems to break down those mental blocks and set the stage for a
breakthrough.

Alan Thompson

May 20, 2008, 3:14:11 PM5/20/08

Respect.

I can't imagine the best way to happiness is to undermine the senses used
to precieve life/reality/juggling. Why would you numb or add artificial
coloring to something so great??

But, it might be a pretty good strategy if you currently precieve
life/reality/juggling as a drag.

crazy hippy

May 20, 2008, 3:20:01 PM5/20/08

> .. but of course there are downsides to it like wooziness(sp?),
> over-excitement that leads to drops, lack of precision, etc...
> (schizofrenia and cancer ^^ )

Marijuana does not cause cancer. At all. Ever.

To whit, "The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded
that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to
lung cancer ... " begins this Washington Post story. (full version
found here http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html
)

As for schizophrenia, there is an enormous body of research that
confirms that THC has the propensity to expose preexisting, underlying
mental disorders. There has never been a case in recorded history of
Marijuana causing a mental disorder of any kind. Some doctors highly
recommend it for treatment of bipolar disorder.

Both of these points are issues which arise from one fundamental truth
about Marijuana and TCH. The simple fact of the matter is this: THC
does not adversely effect your body to any extreme degree because
Cannabinoids are naturally occurring chemicals which our bodies are
very well-equipped to handle.
There is, for example, in our brains a vast array of Cannabinoid
receptors which do nothing but bond with Cannabinoid molecules--of
which THC is one.
This is why, aside from the inherent risk of smoke inhalation, it is
quite literally impossible to overdose on Marijuana.

Perhaps if we undertook a bit of research, if we attempted to
understand these things, to teach real drug education classes, to
address the real issues associated with drugs instead of relying whole-
hock on fear tactics and propaganda, we would be a bit better off.

crazy hippy

May 20, 2008, 3:48:36 PM5/20/08
On May 20, 2:45 pm, glenlukejugg...@gmail.com.nospam.com (GLF00)
wrote:

My my.
To begin. I say fascist here for two reasons. First the language used
has the sneer of self-righteous contempt.
Lets just repost that to get a taste of it again.

"My thoughts are... I SERIOUSLY hope you don't let any non-juggler
associate juggling with you while you are under the influence of
anything.
If so, I hereby declare you a bad example. Actually I do that either
way. "

The second reason is that last line. "f so, I hereby declare you a bad
example. Actually, I do that either way."
If I really need to explain why this strikes me as the words of a
fascist then, well there is really no point in attempting a
discussion.

As for the link you posted. Do you really expect the ACDE to give you
honest and unbiased information? Read some history man. The war on
drugs in America has been one of the single largest outlets for
propaganda and misinformation in modern history. They even call
Marijuana a gateway drug--one of the most baseless claims you can
make. The most rudimentary of scientific training establishes the
difference between cause-effect and correlation, and gateway claims
utterly ignore this.

If you want to talk about harmful drugs look at the U.S. issuance of
cocaine to dock workers during the early industrial revolution. Look
at Hitler's distribution of meth-amphetamines to soldiers during the
march across Europe.

You know what the most harmful thing about Marijuana is? The violence
that a black-market has caused. The same thing happened during
prohibition in the 1920's, and your pejorative ideology just promotes
this.

What we need is an honest and open discussion of drug use, its risks,
and benefits--not narrow-minded demagogues likening a bit of personal
drug-use to rape and murder. If you notice I did not take issue with
people who simply say they do not use drugs. That is the sort of
information which I was hoping to illicit.

But, just like you said, I am not going to stand idly by while the
uninformed cast aspersions on my character.

Oh, and kudos, by the way, on taking things out of context. You should
work for Fox News.

ijuggle42

May 20, 2008, 4:26:08 PM5/20/08

> GLF00 wrote:
>
> Perhaps by posting about it on a forum that several teenagers frequent?

Whenever someone in American society wants to infringe on or take away the
rights of others they immediately, play the it’s to protect the children
card. After all what politician will stand up to protect our rights in the
face of whack jobs screaming about the wonderful children. This tactic is
continually used to advance censorship in the way we dress, what we watch,
read, say, whom we can marry, and what we can and cannot do with, or put
into our own bodies. Anyway, this has been pissing me off for
years…..sorry I digress.

While I don’t condone or condemn drug use my personal opinion is:

Most people including myself who have retired from drug use so to speak
came to realize eventually that in order to become successful and live a
well-rounded life that includes family and dependable friends they needed
to quit hard drugs and cut alcohol consumption to reasonable levels. I
smoked pot at sociable levels and held a steady job as a laborer or
general worker bee for a little more than 15 years.

In order to keep job promotions that would keep us financially solvent,
to be employed by the same company for 20 years now, one that also allows
me to sit and stare into cyber space much of the day I had to be able to
pass random drug test so I gave it up. It was a simple choice for me, for
others its not.

I have never been one to pass judgment, but I have noticed that a person’s
station in life, education aside is largely determined by their
addictions, no matter what they may be.

Jay Linn

May 20, 2008, 4:41:31 PM5/20/08
On Tue, 20 May 2008 20:20:01 +0100, crazy hippy <inner...@gmail.com>
wrote:

<snip>

> This is why, aside from the inherent risk of smoke inhalation, it is
> quite literally impossible to overdose on Marijuana.

I loved your other rebuttal, but you're wrong here : Everything, even
water, has an FD50, a fatal dose which will kill 50% of the candidate
sample. There is no such thing as a non-toxic substance, although there
are many substances which would require the ingestion of stupidly large
quantities to determine the FD50 level.

That is a picky but important distinction in my opinion, because it
illustrates the fact that any substance becomes toxic at some point. That
said, cannabinoids are undoubtedly at the less toxic end of the spectrum,
and their toxicity has been repeatedly exaggerated by unobjective vested
interests, as has their status as a gateway drug, which is just horse
feathers.

> Perhaps if we undertook a bit of research, if we attempted to
> understand these things, to teach real drug education classes, to
> address the real issues associated with drugs instead of relying whole-
> hock on fear tactics and propaganda, we would be a bit better off.

Perhaps. Unfortunately, in the real world, that just isn't going to
happen. You would have just about as much luck asking football fans to sit
back and take an objective and dispassionate view of their chosen team,
complete with a reasoned argument why their nearest rivals were actually
the better team - it ain't gonna happen, because the drugs debate is
characterised by factional loyalties, not rational analysis.

Adam Rowney

May 20, 2008, 6:54:44 PM5/20/08
ForestCloak wrote:

> Closest I've ever been to feeling anything like I was high or drunk was
> when I was extremely sleep deprived. Yeah...my juggling was nar so goot.

Having never been drunk or on drugs, I don't understand how
you can make this assumption. I have been sleep deprived, and neither
felt like I was drunk or on drugs :P

> But I don't drink or do drugs. In my opinion I find both to be a
> hinderance and I'm likely to do something stupid or seriously hurt
> someone.

Again, I fail to see how you can come to this conclusion without ever
trying
any kind of drink or drugs.

ForestCloak

May 20, 2008, 6:57:09 PM5/20/08

I know myself all too well and know what I'm violently capable of. Weak
points in the human body. It's not all that hard to kill a person and if
I'm drunk I might use that knowledge to my advantage. I figure it's better
to keep others safe than try it out and regret it later.

Adam Rowney

May 20, 2008, 7:01:12 PM5/20/08
GLF00 wrote:

> Plus, smoking anything can lead to lung cancer.

Good thing theres always eating it ;)

Adam Rowney

May 20, 2008, 7:04:19 PM5/20/08
crazy hippy wrote:

> > .. but of course there are downsides to it like wooziness(sp?),
> > over-excitement that leads to drops, lack of precision, etc...
> > (schizofrenia and cancer ^^ )
> >

> Marijuana does not cause cancer. At all. Ever.
>
> To whit, "The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded
> that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to
> lung cancer ... " begins this Washington Post story. (full version
> found here http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html
> )

Usually its smoked with tobacco, causing cancer.
Vaporized is another ball game altogether.

Adam Rowney

May 20, 2008, 7:09:43 PM5/20/08
ForestCloak wrote:

> Adam Rowney wrote:
> >
> > ForestCloak wrote:
> >
> > > Closest I've ever been to feeling anything like I was high or drunk was
> > > when I was extremely sleep deprived. Yeah...my juggling was nar so goot.
> >
> > Having never been drunk or on drugs, I don't understand how
> > you can make this assumption. I have been sleep deprived, and neither
> > felt like I was drunk or on drugs :P
> >
> > > But I don't drink or do drugs. In my opinion I find both to be a
> > > hinderance and I'm likely to do something stupid or seriously hurt
> > > someone.
> >
> > Again, I fail to see how you can come to this conclusion without ever
> > trying
> > any kind of drink or drugs.
> >

> I know myself all too well and know what I'm violently capable of. Weak
> points in the human body. It's not all that hard to kill a person

Holy cow, I may leave this debate for the fear of my life :P
Just kidding ;)
*Runs Away*

> and if
> I'm drunk I might use that knowledge to my advantage. I figure it's better
> to keep others safe than try it out and regret it later.

I really cannot tell if your being serious or if your trolling :P
You tease if you are ;)

KooKie

May 20, 2008, 10:40:47 PM5/20/08
crazy hippy wrote:

> Marijuana does not cause cancer. At all. Ever.

Been a bit quick in posting that. You're right.. and of course I knew
that, but as Adam said, unless you have a vaporizer (or smoke a pipe all
day) you're pretty much stuck with tobacco as your partner in crime.

> As for schizophrenia, there is an enormous body of research that
> confirms that THC has the propensity to expose preexisting, underlying
> mental disorders. There has never been a case in recorded history of
> Marijuana causing a mental disorder of any kind. Some doctors highly
> recommend it for treatment of bipolar disorder.

Uhm, I think this is highly debatable, but I think this is not really the
place so I'll make it short.

It may not actually be the cause of schizophrenic behaviour but I believe
it could trigger it and other mental disorders. I have no doubts about the
quality of the research, but I've seen people "deteriorate" and completely
have a meltdown from smoking, oh yes, only Marijuana. It can be all fun
and games but it can really Fuck you up too. I guess it depends on who,
why and how much :). We don't want to get all Charles Manson-y.

That being said, I'm always the first in line to disclaim propaganda and
prejudices about Marijuana and it's users. Reefer Madness was not meant to
be a joke, but I couldn't stop laughing at it :).

--------------------
Or do we? He did get all the chicks...

KooKie

May 20, 2008, 10:54:46 PM5/20/08

> > Jimmy Hendrix...
>
> ... covered the Bob Dylan song.

... and delivered a far superiour, totally badass version, which leaves
Dylan's version pale in comparison, only to be brought up by
knowledge-bully's looking for a suick fix.

:)

Msry, I always have to say that when someone brings that up

Bekah.Smith

May 20, 2008, 11:24:03 PM5/20/08

Maybe pot would calm you down. I've never heard of anyone's violent
tendencies surfacing while high.

But making the decision not to is of course, totally understandable.
Especially when you have something kick-ass like juggling to keep you
busy. :)

- Bekah

ManiacDrew

May 21, 2008, 1:34:24 AM5/21/08
Alan Thompson wrote:

> Respect.
>
> I can't imagine the best way to happiness is to undermine the senses used
> to precieve life/reality/juggling. Why would you numb or add artificial
> coloring to something so great??
>
> But, it might be a pretty good strategy if you currently precieve
> life/reality/juggling as a drag.

Fail.

One doesn't always have to get high while juggling.
Likewise, someone can juggle in various ways (sport, etc).

It's not an "either or" situation. It's a "both" situation.

MD

ManiacDrew

May 21, 2008, 1:39:26 AM5/21/08
ForestCloak wrote:
> I know myself all too well and know what I'm violently capable of. Weak
> points in the human body. It's not all that hard to kill a person and if
> I'm drunk I might use that knowledge to my advantage. I figure it's better
> to keep others safe than try it out and regret it later.

I'm your huckleberry!

For some, pain is a fetish and your hot enough that I don't think guys
would
mind if you hit on them. Seems like us "maniacs" (geckomaniac, Maniac
Drew)
need to get together. :)

MD

/ willing to take the risk
/ don't be offended, it's the drugs talking.

ultimatewannabe

May 21, 2008, 2:51:52 AM5/21/08

What? "It is interesting to think about if my drug-induced runs are more
or
less productive than sober-minded ones" How can it be both? How can
juggling be both more and less productive under any conditions? Various
aspects of it might be but since most people (based on my experiences)
focus on type of juggling at a time (sport, art, numbers, one trick at a
time), I just don't understand how it can be both.

It's an either or question in almost every case if we ask a specific
question such as "do drugs make juggling practice more or less
productive?" "do you prefer juggling on or off drugs?" "do you think
your juggling makes you happier on or off drugs?" Specific but subjective
questions like these don't make much sense as "both".

Mike

ultimatewannabe

May 21, 2008, 2:57:46 AM5/21/08

Well, she could have observed some people on drugs and decided that it was
possible she'd turn violent. If she'd ever seen a violent drunk I can see
how she may have come to that conclusion.

Le_lemGo

May 21, 2008, 3:47:44 AM5/21/08
GLF00 wrote:

Oh no!
I smoked pot yesyerday... It says there I might have caught a sexually
transmissible disease, and may
even be unwantingly pregnant...
Oh my, oh my! What am I to do Doc?

Le_lemGo

May 21, 2008, 4:18:36 AM5/21/08
crazy hippy wrote:

> I was curious how other jugglers feel about JUI (juggling under the
> influence). I used to be a pretty dedicated gamer and liked nothing
> more than to puff a bit on my magical hippy pipe of wonder and sit
> down to a few hours of Halo or Everquest or whathaveyou.
> Now, thought, since I started juggling, after an evening of typical
> hippy antics I usually spend that time juggling.
> It is interesting to think about if my drug-induced runs are more or
> less productive than sober-minded ones (i am still not sure, but i am
> selflessly continuing to experiment as often as i can).
>
> Any thoughts?

You have of course tried to measure how good you were at trick x when
under influence and when
not, right?
Because I believe that while under influence you get much better at being
creative with your props -
hey! I could throw this prop behind my back here, I had never thought of
that! let's try it again - ,
whereas you'll be more likely to do much worse at technical stuff -
especially stuff you are not used
to, ie. for being technically creative.

lemGo - who has not juggled under influence for a while...

Matthew Tiffany

May 21, 2008, 7:15:28 AM5/21/08
i have often wondered also what effect althetic ehansing drugs may have,
does the wjf have a nosteroids policy?!?!?!
tiff

Adam Rowney

May 21, 2008, 7:35:48 AM5/21/08
Matthew Tiffany wrote:

> i have often wondered also what effect althetic ehansing drugs may have,
> does the wjf have a nosteroids policy?!?!?!
> tiff

There are no steroids, Jason Garfield has them all.

crazy hippy

May 21, 2008, 9:33:19 AM5/21/08

You know, on my one trip to Europe I noticed the whole "smoking with
tobacco" thing. It was a totally new experience for me and something
that is quite uncommon in the states. That is actually the only time I
have ever smoked tobacco.

The only mixture of tobacco and puff that i ever dabble in is rolling
the occasional blunt. And then that is just the outer wrappings of a
cigar.

Water pipes FTW.

crazy hippy

May 21, 2008, 9:39:21 AM5/21/08

>         I loved your other rebuttal, but you're wrong here : Everything, even
> water, has an FD50, a fatal dose which will kill 50% of the candidate
> sample. There is no such thing as a non-toxic substance, although there
> are many substances which would require the ingestion of stupidly large
> quantities to determine the FD50 level.
>
>         That is a picky but important distinction in my opinion, because it
> illustrates the fact that any substance becomes toxic at some point. That
> said, cannabinoids are undoubtedly at the less toxic end of the spectrum,
> and their toxicity has been repeatedly exaggerated by unobjective vested
> interests, as has their status as a gateway drug, which is just horse
> feathers.

Point well taken. Although, in lab tests using inhaled THC the
subjects (monkeys in the case i'm thinking of) died of smoke
inhalation way before toxic levels of cannabinoids were achieved.
Maybe if you refined the hell out it you could make some lethal hash
though.

crazy hippy

May 21, 2008, 9:50:20 AM5/21/08
On May 21, 4:18 am, dav.ayme...@wanadoo.dk.nospam.com (Le_lemGo)
wrote:

Well, part of the reason I wanted some added input is because I am
still learning a lot.
I have certainly tried comparing tricks. I think the most difficult
thing I can do with 3 balls right now is a clawed mills mess pattern.
I'd been working on it for a few days and had made a lot of very shaky
runs. However, a few nights ago, while very nicely intoxicated I more
than doubled my best run.
I had one of those juggling epiphanies--"what alcoholics refer to as a
moment of clarity." (anyone catch that quote?)
Anyway, so even after the breakthrough I seem to be marginally better
at even the more difficult tricks after a bit of puff.
The highest number I can do anything with is five, and with that all I
can manage is a flash--which I can do with equal proficiency either
way.
I've done a lot of four-ball juggling and again, I think I am a bit
better under the influence. I have a much better success rate with the
few tricks i know (asynch to synch transition and a few 2-up 2-up
things).

I think that being high is a sort of shortcut into a highly focused
mindset. I've always had this feeling and, in my collegiate years I
did all of my best brainstorming and pre-writing in such a state. (I
base this on the grades each paper received).

I suppose it just has a lot to do with the individual and his/her
reaction to a given drug.

ManiacDrew

May 22, 2008, 11:57:44 AM5/22/08
ultimatewannabe wrote:

> Specific but subjective
> questions like these don't make much sense as "both".
>
> Mike

Think harder.

Is it more productive to practice 5 to learn 5 or work on lower patterns?
I find it is better to do BOTH.

Is it more productive to practice somewhat drunk or sober?
I find it is better to do BOTH.

Is it better to use N+1 all of the time or run the pattern to learn
quickly?
I find it is better to do BOTH.

Is it better to juggle without a caffine high or with?
I find it is better to do BOTH.

Obviously, working on lower patterns, practicing drunk will not seem as
productive as practicing sober or only practicing the target pattern.
However, I find coupling various practice techniques yeilds better results
than mindlessly sticking to one method.

Your mileage may vary.

MD

ForestCloak

May 22, 2008, 12:08:08 PM5/22/08
Adam Rowney wrote:

> ForestCloak wrote:
> >
> > Adam Rowney wrote:

> > > Having never been drunk or on drugs, I don't understand how
> > > you can make this assumption. I have been sleep deprived, and neither
> > > felt like I was drunk or on drugs :P

> > > Again, I fail to see how you can come to this conclusion without ever
> > > trying
> > > any kind of drink or drugs.
> > >

> > I know myself all too well and know what I'm violently capable of. Weak
> > points in the human body. It's not all that hard to kill a person
>
> Holy cow, I may leave this debate for the fear of my life :P
> Just kidding ;)
> *Runs Away*

*takes the aggressive stance* Yeah that's right, you better run! Just
kidding. You're safe...as long as I'm not drunk =P

> > and if
> > I'm drunk I might use that knowledge to my advantage. I figure it's better
> > to keep others safe than try it out and regret it later.
>
> I really cannot tell if your being serious or if your trolling :P
> You tease if you are ;)

Little of both? Thinking about it, it wouldn't even be the knowledge but
the instincts I have developed. Quick reflexes have left a lot of guys
wide-eyed with a vicelike grip on their arm =P Hehe, I'm actually really
passive in person and not inclined to hurt people. Which is why I can see
drunkeness bringing out my violent side. But I am a tease ;)

ForestCloak

May 22, 2008, 12:09:53 PM5/22/08
Bekah.Smith wrote:

> ForestCloak wrote:
> >
> > Adam Rowney wrote:

> > > Having never been drunk or on drugs, I don't understand how
> > > you can make this assumption. I have been sleep deprived, and neither
> > > felt like I was drunk or on drugs :P

> > > Again, I fail to see how you can come to this conclusion without ever
> > > trying
> > > any kind of drink or drugs.
> > >

> > I know myself all too well and know what I'm violently capable of. Weak
> > points in the human body. It's not all that hard to kill a person and if
> > I'm drunk I might use that knowledge to my advantage. I figure it's better
> > to keep others safe than try it out and regret it later.
> >

> Maybe pot would calm you down. I've never heard of anyone's violent
> tendencies surfacing while high.

Possibly, possibly, but I really can't afford it anyways. Too busy to get
high anyways. =P Either I'm driving, working, juggling, dancing, or
chatting. None of those I want to be high for =P

> But making the decision not to is of course, totally understandable.
> Especially when you have something kick-ass like juggling to keep you
> busy. :)
>
> - Bekah

Heck yeah juggling! I'm set for life. Juggling is my high.

ForestCloak

May 22, 2008, 12:16:48 PM5/22/08
..huckleberry? What pray tell is a huckleberry other than you?
Now...your fingers slipped and you meant to say "if you hit them" not "hit
on"...right? Choose your words wisely =P

Yes, we maniacal jugglers need to stick together...oh wait...maniacs...>.>

ForestCloak

May 22, 2008, 12:21:21 PM5/22/08
I haven't seen violent drunks. Just stupid ones like the old men
slobbering on my arm with beer tainted mouths.
I have heard about violent drunks and think that it's a possibility for me
=P Not that I have any huge reasons that I would be violent, but if I was
I fear for the lives of those around me. This is one girl who best left
sober (besides...how else am I going to blackmail the rest of you with the
stuff you did while you were drunk =P) I'm not too keen on the idea of
being out of control of myself and not remember what I did. I'm a
lightweight also, so it wouldn't take much to get me drunk =P

DSallee

May 22, 2008, 1:27:51 PM5/22/08

Hey Cloak,

Try looking up the movie Tombstone, and Val Kilmer.

Things will make a lot more sense then :-)

David Sallee (Heading off the Huckleberry hound searches)

bill coad

May 22, 2008, 1:38:47 PM5/22/08
Le_lemGo wrote:

> GLF00 wrote:
>
> > Check this out:
> >
> > http://www.acde.org/common/Marijana.htm
> >

> Oh no!
> I smoked pot yesyerday... It says there I might have caught a sexually
> transmissible disease, and may
> even be unwantingly pregnant...
> Oh my, oh my! What am I to do Doc?

just be glad it's unwantingly rather than wantonly.