[Slings] Info requested

Jay King

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
> Howdy folks,
>
> So, I've got my M70 Featherweight on layaway, and I'm looking for
> recommendations on what type of sling I should put on it when
> I pick it up.
>
> What's your favorite sling (for hunting), and why?
>
> e-mail me, and I'll post a summary.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
> jpg...@ccgate.hac.com

Without a doubt - God's gift to huntin' fools everywhere is
the sling made by Butler Creek. It's made so it has a slight
bungee action and it has some little nurdles to help keep it
on your shoulder. It's also cheap.

JK
jay....@tempe.vlsi.com
(602) 752-6268

Chuck Chadwick

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
My experience is that a well padded/camo sling makes my shoulder feel the
best. Pick one up at a gun show for under $20.

Michael Brady

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <9507110024.AA08218@fatbob>, Jay King <jay....@tempe.vlsi.com>
writes:

Have come so far that folks don't differentiate between shooting
slings and carry straps?

Michael Brady

415-390-1127 voice
415-964-5483 fax

"Law expands in proportion
to the resources available for
its enforcement."

Oak's First Principle of Lawmaking

Sam Gaylord

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
Chuck Chadwick (Chuck_C...@exu.ericsson.se) wrote:
: My experience is that a well padded/camo sling makes my shoulder feel the

: best. Pick one up at a gun show for under $20.

Well padded, yes, but how does camo make your shoulder feel better? ;-)

samg

Don Kenny

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
In <3u0qnh$k...@murrow.corp.sgi.com> Michael Brady

<mich...@gemsbok.corp.sgi.com> writes:

>In article <9507110024.AA08218@fatbob>, Jay King
<jay....@tempe.vlsi.com>

>Have come so far that folks don't differentiate between shooting
>slings and carry straps?

It looks like the real shooters are suggesting slings as proper
shooting aids, and the "armchair shooters" use them as carry straps...

As my uncle used to say, "That's the difference between a pro and a
schmo".

Shoot Straight!
- Don Kenny (dke...@ix.netcom.com)
Shooting And Reloading For Nearly 30 Years
"Society Is Safer When Criminals Don't Know Who's Armed"

Tom Muench

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
wrote:

> Without a doubt - God's gift to huntin' fools everywhere is
> the sling made by Butler Creek. It's made so it has a slight
> bungee action and it has some little nurdles to help keep it
> on your shoulder. It's also cheap.

i'll second the butler creek recommendation. i bought one last year
for about $16. i think they are made from neoprene which gives
them a shock-absorbing property which makes carrying a rifle over your
shoulder all day a bit more comfortable.

good-luck
tom

Mike Manges

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
I have used a Lawrence wide carrying strap for several years. I find it
will hold my gun on my shoulder while dragging a deer. During varmint
season the wide part make a good cradle for my rifle when resting in a
set of home made shooting sticks.

Mike M

Bruce Snyder

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
In article <3u0m09$q...@erinews.ericsson.se>, Chuck Chadwick

<Chuck_C...@exu.ericsson.se> writes:
> My experience is that a well padded/camo sling makes my shoulder feel the
> best. Pick one up at a gun show for under $20.

I disagree. Such a sling is virtually useless as a shooting aid.

Forget the padded junk. For the same price or less, you can pick up an
adjustable 1-in. wide leather sling that you can wrap up in to steady
your aim in the field. And you can comfortably carry your rifle with
it, too.

Locally, Academy carries a Torel latigo leather sling like I've
described for $14.95.

Chuck Chadwick

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
Clever and witty, EH? A little Camo makes my day complete.

Good Hunting!

Gordon Pritchard

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
Michael Brady <mich...@gemsbok.corp.sgi.com> wrote:

>|> the sling made by Butler Creek. It's made so it has a slight

>|> bungee action and it has some little nurdles to help keep it
>|> on your shoulder. It's also cheap.

>Have come so far that folks don't differentiate between shooting
>slings and carry straps?

I like my Uncle Mikes. It has a non-slip backing so that the gun
doesn't slide around on your shoulder too much. Brown Cordura nylon
(no camo for me, YMMV).
I've only used my sling for shoulder carry. I'll sometimes be hiking
for 8 hours in BC mountains, and comfort was the overriding factor.
Every single shot fired while hunting has been from a
single-knee-on-the-ground posture, with a certain amount of
anxiety/controlled haste. I've never even tried to get the sling into
a taught triangulation support position while hunting - for me, the
sling is a carry and comfort item only.

Gord Pritchard (gpri...@vanieee.wimsey.bc.ca)

Steve Shippey

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
The Best sling that I have found has been the one put out by Butler Creek
It's the best by far!

Steve