30-06 Ballistics

netnews.worldnet.att.net

Sep 16, 2002, 6:43:12 PM9/16/02
Thanks for the post on the 25 yard zero - that is useful info.

Question. With a 30-06 do you have the numbers for 25, 50, (0) 100, 150,
200, 250 yards with rifle dead on at 100 yards? I'm interested in both 150
and 180 grain numbers.

TIA

Greg

Michael Brady

Sep 19, 2002, 6:12:52 PM9/19/02
> Question. With a 30-06 do you have the numbers for 25, 50, (0) 100, 150,
> 200, 250 yards with rifle dead on at 100 yards? I'm interested in both
150
> and 180 grain numbers.

Greg, The Remington, Federal, and Winchester - among others - websites have
the numbers you seek. Unless you always hunt at very close range there is
no reason to saddle yourself with a needlessly short range zero. A two
inches high at 100 will give you a useful 200 yard zero that allows you to
hold dead on from the muzzle to 225 or so. Good hunting! Michael

jobro

Sep 19, 2002, 6:12:02 PM9/19/02
"netnews.worldnet.att.net" <gjke...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Greg - I didn't see the post that you're referring to (about the 25 yd
zero). But if you're talking about factory ammunition, the manufacturer's
sites usually have charts for trajectory.

DJ

mark

Sep 20, 2002, 3:52:07 PM9/20/02
Michael Brady <theb...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message news:<003001c26027$1082e500$5ddd3841@oemcomputer>...

> > Question. With a 30-06 do you have the numbers for 25, 50, (0) 100, 150,
> > 200, 250 yards with rifle dead on at 100 yards? I'm interested in both
> 150
> > and 180 grain numbers.
>
> Greg, The Remington, Federal, and Winchester - among others - websites have
> the numbers you seek. Unless you always hunt at very close range there is
> no reason to saddle yourself with a needlessly short range zero. A two
> inches high at 100 will give you a useful 200 yard zero that allows you to
> hold dead on from the muzzle to 225 or so. Good hunting! Michael

I apparently missed how this thread got started with the 25 yards, but
my guess is that you are looking for the bullet to cross the line of
sight at 25yards and you are looking for bullet elevation on out. This
thread does not give ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, sight height, etc.

A useful FREE program you can use, once you have all of the
aforementioned data, is POINTBLANK.
You can download this FREE from www.huntingnut.com

AS an example: a bullet with a B.C. of .300 and a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps
and a sight height of 1.5 inches and ZEROED AT 210 yards WILL cross the line of
sight at 25 yards and be 2.54 inches high at 100 yards.

Hope this helps.

edge.

Roger

Sep 23, 2002, 6:41:25 AM9/23/02
mark <edge...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<8ff9cd66.02092...@posting.google.com>...

> Michael Brady <theb...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message news:<003001c26027$1082e500$5ddd3841@oemcomputer>...
> > > Question. With a 30-06 do you have the numbers for 25, 50, (0) 100, 150,
> > > 200, 250 yards with rifle dead on at 100 yards? I'm interested in both
> 150
> > > and 180 grain numbers.
> >
> > Greg, The Remington, Federal, and Winchester - among others - websites have
> > the numbers you seek. Unless you always hunt at very close range there is
> > no reason to saddle yourself with a needlessly short range zero. A two
> > inches high at 100 will give you a useful 200 yard zero that allows you to
> > hold dead on from the muzzle to 225 or so. Good hunting! Michael
>
> I apparently missed how this thread got started with the 25 yards, but
> my guess is that you are looking for the bullet to cross the line of
> sight at 25yards and you are looking for bullet elevation on out. This
> thread does not give ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, sight height, etc.
>
> A useful FREE program you can use, once you have all of the
> aforementioned data, is POINTBLANK.
> You can download this FREE from www.huntingnut.com
>
> AS an example: a bullet with a B.C. of .300 and a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps
> and a sight height of 1.5 inches and ZEROED AT 210 yards WILL cross the line of
> sight at 25 yards and be 2.54 inches high at 100 yards.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> edge.

Thanks for that! just in case the originator didn't get the hint.
Generally you don't sight a rifle specificly the 30-06 to be on at 100
yards. rather you sight it to give you the "Max point blank range".
That means the bullet will travel in a specified elevation out to the
range where the bullet will fall below the designated "vital area"
vital zone is usually expressed as a diameter. a 6" dia. would be
plenty for deer size target. i suspect you could go as high as 10" 10
would be +/- 5"

for deer I use a 150 gr. boattail spitzer from sierra. i use it
because it seems to be the most accurate in my rifle. your results may
vary. Yes, I reload. It give me a reliable .7 MOA at just over 2883
fps. not a "hot load" but an accurate one and good enough for
whitetail in "Penn's Woods".

Roger

Billy J. Mitchell

Sep 23, 2002, 4:32:20 PM9/23/02

Greg

Only some thoughts.
Download "PointBlank" from the Huntingnut web URL. In a limited comparison of PointBlank with the USA G1 tables, it agreed quite well. Then load a 150 grain spitzer bullet to 3,000 feet per second. This is a USA military load for the 30-06 in WW1 and WWll and its primary purpose was the killing animals (homo sapiens) which mostly weighed from 120 to 250 pounds (about the weight of most deer). If hunting in the Rocky Mountains in open terrain, choose an 8 inch circle point blank range (+-4"). Set the programs temperature at 40F and the altitude to 9,000 feet. Print the resulting trajectory at 50 yard intervals out to 500 yards and tape it to your gun stock. My personal 30-06 load for Colorado elk which are standing broadside is a 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet at about 3,000 feet/second (chronograph velocity).

Billy Mitchell
bmit...@mines.edu

Sam A. Kersh

Sep 24, 2002, 11:35:15 AM9/24/02
>Greg

If you have access to a Speer reloading manual, using both the short
range and long range exterior ballistic tables, you should be able to
get the data you're looking for.

Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
TSRA Life
LEAA Life
http://www.flash.net/~csmkersh

Benjamin Franklin

Erlend Moen

Sep 24, 2002, 6:26:16 PM9/24/02
Billy J. Mitchell wrote:

> Question. With a 30-06 do you have the numbers for 25, 50, (0) 100,
> 150,
> 200, 250 yards with rifle dead on at 100 yards? I'm interested in
> both 150
> and 180 grain numbers.
> Greg

Check out www.norma.cc - choose English language and click on "Ballistics".

<-emo->

mark

Sep 25, 2002, 6:46:40 AM9/25/02
"Billy J. Mitchell" <bmit...@mines.edu> wrote in
>>SNIP <<
If hunting in the =
> Rocky Mountains in open terrain, choose an 8 inch circle point blank =
> range (+-4
>> SNIP <<

My personal choice is to let the bullet rise a maximum of 2.0 inches
above the line of sight. I find it very easy to judge distances out to
about 150 yards, and with quick shots I don't have to worry about
bullet rise at that point.
With longer shots I feel that I have more time, and can deal with
bullet drop.

This is just my opinion and it is worth every cent :-) .
Judging by the question in this post, I assume that this is a new
rifle hunter. I think you will find that only having to deal with
bullet drop on the far side of your ZERO, even 12 inches, MAY be
easier then a +- 4 inches. At 100 yards any error to the high side may
put the bullet in no mans land, between the spine and lungs. This is
often a non-fatal hit, but one sure to have you trailing for many
hours.

Good hunting,

edge.

ZGMZIMM

Sep 29, 2002, 6:38:24 AM9/29/02
Greg,
Here my expierence with 2 30-06 rifles shooting various loads of 150,
165, and 180 gr. bullets in factory loads.
I sight in so that my group lands between 2 and 3 inches high at 100
yards. the bullets will hit slightly low from the muzzel out to about 40 yards
or so, but not more than an inch. The bullets will hit about an inch high
somewhere between 60 and 70 yards. At 150 yards, the bullets are hitting about
a little over an inch high, but the groups are starting to open up a bit. At
200 yards the bullets are hitting between 2 inchs high and 2 inches low, the
pattern being center dead on. At 250, i'm getting about 4" groups falling
between dead on and 4" low. This is as far as I have bothered shooting,
because its as far as I can be sure of hitting a deer sized target in the right
place. The difference between the various bullet weight I mentioned are so
minimal, that I really cant tell the difference untill I start shooting at 200
to 250 yards. Even then, the 150's are only averageing about 1/2 to 3/4 inch
higher than the 180's, and with a 3 to 4 inch group, there is so much overlap,
it really doesn't matter.
All of this data was recorded from actual shooting, not ballistic tables.
Your rifle and loads may vary, so I STRONLY urge you to shoot your rifle at
various distances so you know exactly what your rifle and loads are doing when
you are doing the shooting. The best ballistic tables in the world can't give
you that kind of piece of mind.
I hope this helps.

Mike Zimmermann (ZIMMY)

P.S. It took me 3 years and over 500 rounds to compile this data. I now can't
tell the difference in recoil from a .243 to a .300 Win Mag.

John

Sep 30, 2002, 12:29:37 PM9/30/02
go to a sporting goods store and get rememiton or winchester catalogs
for amo will tell all