Not Too Bright ...

Doug Lynch

Jul 19, 1991, 12:21:15 PM7/19/91
Often times, when a person says or does something really stupid, a catchy
little phrase is usually in order to try to explain how dumb that person is.

Here are a few that I remember. Add to the list.

He's one brick shy of a load.

That guy doesn't have both oars in the water.

The lights are on, but nobody's home.

He's one taco shy of a combination plate.

Greg Martin

Jul 20, 1991, 12:35:22 PM7/20/91
In article <330...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM> dr...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Doug Lynch) writes:
>He's one brick shy of a load.
>That guy doesn't have both oars in the water.
>The lights are on, but nobody's home.
>He's one taco shy of a combination plate.

In Missouri, some of us say: He's dumber than a box of hair.
(Only funny if said with Midwest hick accent)

* Greg Martin gma...@cs.umr.edu The opinions expressed above are mine *
* "I sing the hypotenuse, sweeping and only mine. *
* square of the other sides" - T'Vau, How Much For Just the Planet *

Bijal Shah

Jul 21, 1991, 1:23:48 PM7/21/91
/ hpopd:rec.humor / dr...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Doug Lynch) / 5:21 pm Jul 19, 1991 /

----------

He's a few cans short of a six pack.

He's a few shrimp short of a barbie (Aussie)

BJ

Todd Horch

Jul 21, 1991, 3:02:41 PM7/21/91
dr...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Doug Lynch) writes:

He's a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Lord Demon (aka Todd Horch) | de...@demnposs.uucp |
|---------------------------------|------------------------------------|
| "Oh look! Rocks!" - The Doctor | "I have a cunning plan." - |
| | S. Baldric |
| "Belgium, man, Belgium!" - | |
| Zaphod Beeblebrox | |
\_________________________________|____________________________________/

Ted Potter

Jul 21, 1991, 9:13:47 PM7/21/91
bi...@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Bijal Shah) writes:

> / hpopd:rec.humor / dr...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Doug Lynch) / 5:21 pm Jul 19,

> Often times, when a person says or does something really stupid, a catchy
> little phrase is usually in order to try to explain how dumb that person is.
>
> Here are a few that I remember. Add to the list.
>

> He's one brick shy of a load.
>
> That guy doesn't have both oars in the water.
>
> The lights are on, but nobody's home.
>
> He's one taco shy of a combination plate.
> ----------
>
> He's a few cans short of a six pack.
>
> He's a few shrimp short of a barbie (Aussie)
>
> BJ

>> He's not playing with a full deck !

|Snail: 214 Bayview St # 3 San Rafael Ca 94901 |
|UUCP: romed!mcsanra!tedshom!ted BBS (415) 485-1551 |

David Kuckenbecker

Jul 22, 1991, 9:50:59 AM7/22/91
In article <330...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM> dr...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Doug Lynch) writes:

He's a few peas short of a casserole

Stan Perrine = Mr. Computer

Jul 22, 1991, 10:08:23 AM7/22/91
Inticle <29...@umriscc.isc.umr.edu>, gma...@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Greg Martin)
writes and in article <330...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM> dr...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM

(Doug Lynch) writes:
>He's one brick shy of a load.
>That guy doesn't have both oars in the water.
>The lights are on, but nobody's home.
>He's one taco shy of a combination plate.
>
> In Missouri, some of us say: He's dumber than a box of hair.
> (Only funny if said with Midwest hick accent)

Well, in West Virginia, a couple of sayings are:

He's dumber than a sled track.
He's dumber than shit on a biscuit. (Appalachian accent prefered)

she...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Jul 22, 1991, 4:13:14 PM7/22/91
My favorites :

His elevator doesn't go to the top floor.

He's got too many birds on his antenna.

/ / ------------------------------------------------------------------
. . "Telling the truth can be dangerous business MES and
x Honest and popular don't go hand in hand her sidekick,
If you admit that you can play the accordian Fettish
) They'll never hire you in a rock and roll band....'
- Ishtar

Roger Lee

Jul 22, 1991, 7:30:34 PM7/22/91
dku...@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (David Kuckenbecker) writes:

The lights are on but nobody's home

The elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor

--
r...@netcom.com Missed it by >< that much.
Disclaimer: My views DO reflect those of the management because

Alan Silverstein

Jul 22, 1991, 8:22:21 PM7/22/91

Compendium of insults from...

Newsgroups: rec.humor (plus additions from elsewhere)
Subject: not altogether there
Date: April 1987 (last updated 910417)

"Body by Fisher -- brains by Mattel."
$HOME = /dev/null.
A 10K brain attached to a 9600 baud mouth.
A couple of open splices.
A couple of revisions behind.
A couple of volts below threshold.
A couple sandwiches short of a picnic.
A few beers short of a six-pack.
A few bombs short of a full load.
A few bricks shy of a load.
A few french fries short of a Happy Meal.
A few pickles short of a jar.
A few planes short of an Air Force.
A few tiles short of a successful re-entry.
A little light in his loafers.
A looney tune.
A quart low.
A return with no gosub.
A room temperature IQ.
About as bright as a small appliance bulb.
About as sharp as a bowling ball, and twice as smart.
About as smart as bait.
About four cents short of a nickel.
All booster -- no payload.
All crown -- no filling.
All his eggs in the same basket.
All the lights don't shine in his marquis.
All the sex appeal of a wet paper bag.
An 8080 in a 68000 environment.
Antenna doesn't pick up all the channels.
As thick as two short planks.
Attic's a little dusty.
Back burners not fully operating.
Bad spot on the disk.
Bats in the belfry.
Been napping in front of the ion shield again.
Been playing with his wand too much.
Been playing with the pharmacy section again.
Been short on oxygen one time too many.
Been using his head as a mass driver.
Blew his O-rings.
Blew the hatch before the lock sealed.
Born a day late, and like that ever since.
CPU not connected to the bus.
Caboose seems to be pulling the engine.
Car's only got three wheels, and one's going flat.
Chimney's clogged.
Clock doesn't have all its numbers.
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.
Cursor's flashing, but there's no response.
Doesn't have all his dogs on one leash.
Doesn't have all of his groceries in the same bag.
Doesn't have all the dots on his dice.
Doesn't have all the pens in her plotter.
Doesn't have both oars in the water.
Doesn't know which side of the toast the butter is on.
Doesn't quite sample at the Nyquist rate.
Driving with two wheels in the sand.
Dropped her second stage too soon.
Easier to count the bricks left than the bricks missing.
Echoes between the ears.
Elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor.
Elevator goes all the way to the top, but the door doesn't open.
Finds a flat by swapping tires.
Gates are down, the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.
Gets hypnotized on the despun section.
Gyros are loose.
Half a bubble off plumb. -- attributed to Mark Twain
Hard to tell if he has an ace up his sleeve or if the ace
is missing from his deck altogether.
Has a few tiles missing from his Space Shuttle.
Has a few wait states.
Has a one-bit brain with a parity error.
Has a screw loose.
Has a slow clock.
Has an ego like a black hole.
Has both oars in the water, but on the same side of the boat.
Has bubbles in her think tank.
Has his solar panels aimed at the moon.
Has it floored in neutral.
Has only one oar in the water.
Has signs on both ears saying "Space for Rent".
Has the IQ of a ice cube.
Has the IQ of a salad bar.
Has two brains; one is lost and the other is out looking for it.
Hasn't got all his china in the cupboard.
He's diagnosable.
He's in, but he's out to lunch.
Head whistles in a cross wind.
His memory is truly random-access.
If brains were bird droppings, he'd have a clean cage.
If brains were dynamite, he wouldn't have enough to blow his nose.
If he had another brain, it would be lonesome.
If he was any dumber, he'd be a green plant.
If he were any more stupid, he'd have to be watered twice a week.
If his IQ was two points higher he'd be a rock.
If they knock heads, implosion will suck all the air out of the room.
If what you don't know can't hurt you, she's practically invulnerable.
If you stand close enough to him, you can hear the ocean.
In need of a ROM upgrade.
In the shopping mall of the mind, he's in the toy store.
Infinite space between her ears.
Left his booster on the launch pad.
Left the store without all of his groceries.
Lights are on but nobody's home.
Lights not burning too bright.
Little red choo-choo's gone chugging 'round the bend.
Loose chip on the microprocessor board.
Loose wire to his headset/ringer.
Lugnuts rattling in the hubcaps.
Mainspring's wound too tight.
Mind like a steel sieve.
Mind like a steel trap -- full of mice.
Mind like a steel trap -- nothing in, nothing out.
Mind like a steel trap -- rusted shut.
Missing a few catalog cards.
Missing a few gears.
Missing a few marbles.
Nice house, not much furniture.
Nine pence in the shilling.
No one at the throttle.
No wind in the her mind's windmills.
Not digging in the same ditch with the rest of us.
Not enough sense to come in out of the rain.
Not firing on all four (six) (eight) cylinders.
Not hard-docked.
Not playing with a full deck.
Not running on full thrusters.
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Not wrapped too tight.
Nothing between the stethoscopes.
Off his rocker.
Oil doesn't reach his dipstick.
On the batting end of a no-hitter.
One boot stuck in the sand.
One shingle shy of a roof.
One side short of a pentagon.
Only playing with 51 cards.
Only playing with the jokers.
Over the rainbow.
Overruns above 110 baud.
Paged/swapped out.
Paralyzed from the neck up.
Parked his head and forgot where he left it.
Pins 2 & 3 (RS-232) permanently connected to ground.
Playing Scrabble, but we can't figure out what words he's building.
Playing hockey with a warped puck.
Pressure's up, but there's a slow leak somewhere.
Puts a finger in his ear so the draft through his head isn't annoying.
Reading from an empty disk.
Receiver is off the hook.
Renewable energy source for hot air balloons.
Reset line is glitching.
Result of a first cousin marriage.
Running on empty.
S p a c e d o u t .
Sailboat fuel for brains.
Sending back packets, but the checksums are wrong.
Seven seconds behind, and built to stay that way.
Short a few cards.
Skating on the wrong side of the ice.
Skiing in Ohio.
Skylight leaks a little.
Slinky's kinked.
Smoke doesn't make it to the top of his chimney.
Some bugs in his software.
Some drink from the fountain of knowledge, but he just gargled.
Someone blew out his pilot light.
Someone else is doing the driving for that boy.
Someone let the air out of her lock.
Source code is missing a few lines.
Surfing in Nebraska.
Switch is on, but no one's receiving.
Teflon brain (nothing sticks).
The attention span of an overripe grapefruit.
The best part of him ran down his mother's legs. -- Jackie Gleason
The cheese slid off his cracker.
The going got weird, and he turned pro.
The mental agility of a soap dish.
The synapses are about *that* far apart.
Thick as a brick.
Thinks at 5 baud.
Too much yardage between the goal posts.
Toys in the attic.
Traveling faster than light, but left his sneakers behind.
Two bits shy of a word.
Two tacos short of a combination plate.
Vacancy on the top floor.
Vertically-fornicated mind.
Was napping in the nut pile the day that God was cracking nuts.
Wasn't strapped in during launch.
With one more neuron he'd have a synapse.

Will Wiley

Jul 22, 1991, 6:59:22 PM7/22/91
How about

The elevator doesn't go all the way to the top

S/he's seven bits in an eight bit machine

John Williams

Jul 23, 1991, 12:40:40 PM7/23/91

In article <1991Jul22.2...@netcom.COM>, r...@netcom.COM (Roger Lee) writes...
>The lights are on but nobody's home

If she layed her brain on the edge of a razor blade it would look like a
BB rolling down a four lane highway.

John.

+-------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| John Williams (508)-467-6141 | jwil...@hpsrad.enet.dec.com |
| Digital Equipment Corporation +---------------------------------+
| 700 Forest St. MRO1-2/S10 | "If all you have is a hammer, |
| Marlboro, MA 01752 | everything looks like a nail." |
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------+

Brett R Benyo

Jul 23, 1991, 6:57:47 PM7/23/91
In article <253...@hpldsla.sid.hp.com> wi...@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (Will Wiley) writes:
>How about
>
>The elevator doesn't go all the way to the top

Would someone please tell me why everyone who posts
these not too bright ... follow ups includes the

"elevator doesnt go up to the top"

Its getting boring to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

| "The surest sign that there is intelligent life elsewhere |
| in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact |
| us" |
| |
| ----- | | ----- ----- ----- |\ | |
| | | | | | | | | \ | |
| | ----- ---- | |---| | \ | |
| | | | | | | | | \| |
| | | | ----- ----- | | | | |
| |
| "Sure I have common sense! I just choose to ignore it!" |

| "The surest sign that there is intelligent life elsewhere |
| in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact |

David Orton

Jul 23, 1991, 1:28:19 PM7/23/91
He's a few bits short of a byte.

Willster

--
Dave Orton dor...@dri.com (uunet!drivax!dorton)

Anthony Corman

Jul 23, 1991, 12:09:35 PM7/23/91
In article <330...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM> dr...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Doug Lynch) writes:

One wheel in the sand
A nickle short of a dollar
Running at 500 baud
Elevator doesn't go all the way to the top
Toys in the attic
Out to lunch w/o a sandwich

More?

Peter Mielke

Jul 23, 1991, 6:20:42 PM7/23/91

How about:

He doesn't have all his cups in the cupboard

(Taken from the German "Er hat nicht alle Tassen im Schrank")
--
Peter Mielke pe...@doe.utoronto.ca
Dictionary of Old English Project utgpu!utzoo!utdoe!peter

Jim Thomas Park , Jr.

Jul 24, 1991, 7:21:12 AM7/24/91
Here's one.
He was born ugly and has been losing ground ever since.

***************************************
James T. Park, Jr.
Senior Warden

Avalon Lodge No. 657

@
/ \
/ \
\ / \ /
\/ \/
/\ G /\
/ \ / \
/ \/ \

F & A M of Pennsylvania
***************************************

Dick Cleek

Jul 24, 1991, 10:33:33 AM7/24/91
I'm looking for terms used for the upset stomach and diarrhea
commonly experienced by travelers. I know:
Montezuma's revenge, Delhi belly, Mysore ass ---others???
--
.......... ......................... .......................
: |_|\/\/ : Dick Cleek dcl...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

Christophe Decroix

Jul 24, 1991, 10:40:26 AM7/24/91
From: decroix-c...@cs.yale.edu (Christophe Decroix)

In French, we say tourista with an obvious spanich accent.

Duke McMullan n5gax

Jul 25, 1991, 5:49:33 PM7/25/91
In article <14...@uwm.edu> dcl...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>I'm looking for terms used for the upset stomach and diarrhea
>commonly experienced by travelers. I know:
>Montezuma's revenge, Delhi belly, Mysore ass ---others???
>:.centers.: Univ.of Wisconsin Centers dcl...@uwcmail.uwc.edu

Try: Upgethrowenshitzendribblens.

"...that opened a whole box of Pandoras!"
-- B. King, Gov. NM
Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee53...@triton.cirt.unm.edu

David Geiser

Jul 25, 1991, 2:13:02 PM7/25/91
Teheran Trots

riv...@dev8i.mdcbbs.com

Jul 26, 1991, 10:54:20 AM7/26/91
In article <14...@uwm.edu>, dcl...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Dick Cleek) writes:
> I'm looking for terms used for the upset stomach and diarrhea
> commonly experienced by travelers. I know:
> Montezuma's revenge, Delhi belly, Mysore ass ---others???

The Tijuana Trots
The Texas Twostep
Kansas quikstep

Michael Rivero riv...@dev8a.mdcbbs Take back YOURSELF!
|In the Beginning, there was Nothing. And God said,"Let there be Light!" |
| And there was STILL nothing. But, you could SEE IT! |

Marjorie E. Nugent

Jul 29, 1991, 11:09:39 PM7/29/91
>I'm looking for terms used for the upset stomach and diarrhea
>commonly experienced by travelers. I know:
>Montezuma's revenge, Delhi belly, Mysore ass ---others???

In Japan in 1977, I had Hirohito's revenge (more than just upset stomach
and diarrhea--I had a high fever as well).

--
Marjorie Nugent

e-mail: marjori...@mail.admin.wisc.edu OR men%gor...@persoft.com

Mike S.

Jul 31, 1991, 8:47:40 AM7/31/91

In article <1991Jul30.0...@gorgon.uucp>, m...@gorgon.uucp (Marjorie E.

Nugent) says:

>In article <14...@uwm.edu> dcl...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>>I'm looking for terms used for the upset stomach and diarrhea
>>commonly experienced by travelers. I know:
>>Montezuma's revenge, Delhi belly, Mysore ass ---others???

A friend of mine always refers to it as Hershey squirts and Liquid anus.

Doug Lynch

Jul 29, 1991, 3:32:11 PM7/29/91

How about:

Hershey squirts

The gutleys

John Kapson

Jul 31, 1991, 1:34:07 PM7/31/91
"Spitting mud" (to be used after a hard night of drinking cheap beer)

Austin J. Jaffe

Jul 31, 1991, 2:49:00 PM7/31/91
Diarrhea cha cha cha
Diarrhea cha cha cha
Some people think its funning, but its really brown and runny.
Diarrhea cha cha cha ...
Mr Sick

sl...@cc.usu.edu

Jul 31, 1991, 7:04:06 PM7/31/91
In article <14...@uwm.edu>, dcl...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Dick Cleek) writes:

I used to live in Pennsylvania. We always called it "the Hershey
Squirts."

In god's name, why are you collecting this stuff?

Jesus H. Christ, why am I contributing?

Rodney
I just do what the little voices tell me to do.

Steve Warren

Jul 31, 1991, 7:14:24 PM7/31/91

No, the runny rhyme works better at the other end...

When you're out with your honey
And your nose is getting runny,
You might think it's funny.
But itsnot.

--
_.
--Steve ._||__

Mav the Dude

Jul 31, 1991, 6:59:44 AM7/31/91

Dont forget the Turkey Trots!

Byron Chun

Aug 1, 1991, 2:46:33 PM8/1/91

How about roto-rooter disease?

I got that after eating Hawaiian pig (the sand-cooked stuff).

Byron@sfsuvax1

"It's not in my job description...but I do it anyway."

EIV...@cms.cc.wayne.edu

Aug 1, 1991, 5:10:41 PM8/1/91
Diarhea: Soupy Poopy! :-) :-9 :-P %-[

Sharon R Fine

Aug 5, 1991, 12:57:53 AM8/5/91

Years ago, the military referred to it as "the Quickstep."

MRH...@oduvm.bitnet

Jul 23, 1991, 1:30:05 PM7/23/91
He's a few fries short of a Happy Meal

Chris Skelsey (1991 BAVE Student)

Aug 6, 1991, 1:47:35 AM8/6/91

How about, "One sandwich short of a picnic"

Chris.

Mick Shatswell

Aug 6, 1991, 12:05:36 PM8/6/91
chr...@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU (Chris Skelsey) writes:

>cor...@Ingres.COM (Anthony Corman) writes:
>>dr...@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Doug Lynch) writes:
>>>Often times, when a person says or does something really stupid, a catchy
>>>little phrase is usually in order to try to explain how dumb that person is.
>>>He's one brick shy of a load.
>>>That guy doesn't have both oars in the water.
>>>The lights are on, but nobody's home.
>>>He's one taco shy of a combination plate.
>>One wheel in the sand
>>A nickle short of a dollar
>>Running at 500 baud
>>Elevator doesn't go all the way to the top
>>Toys in the attic
>>Out to lunch w/o a sandwich
>How about, "One sandwich short of a picnic"

All right, enough !!! Here is the Net list from about a year ago on this very
subject. I waste the bandwidth so as to end this string NOW! Before my 'k'
key falls off the keyboard and onto the floor......

Compendium of insults
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

Mick Shatswell {sh...@ecst.csuchico.edu}
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|| There is no such a thing as gravity ... the Earth simply sucks !!! ||
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Maiko Covington

Aug 7, 1991, 1:08:12 AM8/7/91
Here's one for airheads....
"Her head whistles when she walks."

Maiko ma...@ucsd.edu

Andrew Ford

Aug 6, 1991, 2:04:08 PM8/6/91
In article <1991Aug1.1...@csus.edu>, by...@sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu (Byron Chun) writes:
> dcl...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Dick Cleek) writes:
> > I'm looking for terms used for the upset stomach and diarrhea
> > commonly experienced by travelers. I know:
> > Montezuma's revenge, Delhi belly, Mysore ass ---others???
> > --

Green-Apple Two Step
Hershey Squirts
Mustard Mush -- especially for infants
Loose Logs
Greased Skids

Computer Science

Aug 9, 1991, 10:33:17 AM8/9/91

What do you call a bunch of rabbits lined up in a row that
suddenly jumps back?

A receading hare line !!!!

Hardy har har......

Give me a break it's my first post!!!

-A-

char...@ciit85.ciit.nrc.ca

Aug 9, 1991, 6:52:02 AM8/9/91
In article <27...@novavax.UUCP>, hal...@novavax.UUCP (Computer Science) writes:

> What do you call a bunch of rabbits lined up in a row that
> suddenly jumps back?

What is the proper medical term for the CIRCUMCISION of a rabbit?

HMMM?????

A Hare Cut

Pierre

(Pronounce: Pee Hare)

kelly

Aug 11, 1991, 4:37:40 PM8/11/91
how about a cup and a saucer short of a full place setting?
the porch lights are on but no body's home?
look in his/her ear and you see a sign that says space for rent
when they open thier mouths, the barometric pressure drops.
when you look redundant in the dictionary and it says see redundant...

kelly
und
g.f.

de...@twg.com

Aug 16, 1991, 10:44:09 PM8/16/91
In article <1991Aug9....@ciit85.ciit.nrc.ca> char...@ciit85.ciit.nrc.ca writes:
>What is the proper medical term for the CIRCUMCISION of a rabbit?
>A Hare Cut

What do you call a army haircut?

Hair raid!!

Here! Here!! ;-)