Smilies collection

Russ Armadillo Coffman

Jan 16, 1990, 7:27:02 PM1/16/90
Here is a collection of smilie faces from various sources. Most were compiled
by Chris Allen and I added a few from other sources. There are some
duplications, but the descriptions for these vary and are in some cases
borderline amusing. Lotsa lines, but only 12K total.

:-) humor.
:-> humor variation.
%-} humor variation.
:-( sad.
:-< sad variation.
%-{ sad variation.
:_) tongue in cheek
:-! foot in mouth
<:-) for dumb questions.
(:-) for messages dealing with bicycle helmets.
(8-) for messages dealing with owls.
d:-) for messages dealing with baseball.
d :-o hats off to your great idea
q:-) for those who wear their caps backwards.
@= for messages dealing with nuclear war.
o>-<|= for messages of interest only to women.
~= a candle, to annotate flaming messages.
oo for somebody's head-lights are on messages.
;-) say no more, nudge nudge.
:-$ put your money where your mouth is
>:-> leer
;-} leer? (terminal dependent)
|-<> kissy face
:-| man playing an harmonica
O:-) for those innocent souls
[:|] from a robot (or other appropriate AI project)
:>) from someone with a big nose
:<| from someone who attends an Ivy League school
:%)% from someone with acne
=:-) from a hosehead
:-(*) from someone who is about to vomit
:-)8 from someone who is well dressed
8:-) from a little girl
:-)-{8 from a big girl
#-) from someone who partied all night
%-\ from someone hungover
:-* from someone who just ate a sour pickle
-:-) from someone who sports a mohawk and admires Mr. T
:-'| from someone who has a cold
:-)' from somone who tends to drool
':-) from someone who accidentally shaved off one of his eyebrows
8:] from a gorilla
(:)-) from someone wearing scuba mask
P-) from someone getting fresh
|-) from someone who is falling asleep
.-) from someone with one eye
:=) from someone with two noses
:-D from someone who talks too much

Miscellaneous:

(-:|:-) Siamese twins
:~/ Really mixed up
the invisible man
{:\/ sounds like a duck
.\/ duck variation
:-0
|:-O
%+{ from the loser of a fight

___
/ \
| RIP |
|_____| from someone who is dead
-------

Index #2

The Unofficial Smilie Dictionary --------------------------------

:-) Your basic smilie. This smilie is used to inflect a sarcastic or
joking statement since we can't hear voice inflection over Unix.
;-) Winky smilie. User just made a flirtatious and/or sarcastic remark.
More of a "don't hit me for what I just said" smilie.
:-( Frowning smilie. User did not like that last statement or is upset
or depressed about something.
:-I Indifferent smilie. Better than a Frowning smilie but not quite as
good as a happy smilie.
:-> User just made a really biting sarcastic remark. Worse than a :-).
>:-> User just made a really devilish remark.
>;-> Winky and devil combined. A very lewd remark was just made.

Those are the basic ones...Here are some somewhat less common ones:

(-: User is left handed
%-) User has been staring at a green screen for 15 hours straight
:*) User is drunk
[:] User is a robot
8-) User is wearing sunglasses
B:-) Sunglasses on head
::-) User wears normal glasses
B-) User wears horn-rimmed glasses
8:-) User is a little girl
:-)-8 User is a Big girl
:-{) User has a mustache
:-{} User wears lipstick
{:-) User wears a toupee
}:-( Toupee in an updraft
:-[ User is a Vampire
:-E Bucktoothed vampire
:-F Bucktoothed vampire with one tooth missing
:-7 User juust made a wry statement
:-* User just ate something sour
:-)~ User drools
:-~) User has a cold
:~-( User is crying
:~-) User is so happy, s/he is crying
:-@ User is screaming
:-# User wears braces
:^) User has a broken nose
:v) User has a broken nose, but it's the other way
:_) User's nose is sliding off of his face
:<) User is from an Ivy League School
:-& User is tongue tied.
=:-) User is a hosehead
-:-) User is a punk rocker
-:-( (real punk rockers don't smile)
:=) User has two noses
+-:-) User is the Pope or holds some other religious office
`:-) User shaved one of his eyebrows off this morning
,:-) Same thing...other side
|-I User is asleep
|-O User is yawning/snoring
:-Q User is a smoker
:-? User smokes a pipe
O-) Megaton Man On Patrol! (or else, user is a scuba diver)
O :-) User is an angel (at heart, at least)
:-P Nyahhhh! (sticking out tongue)
:-S User just made an incoherent statement
:-D User is laughing (at you!)
:-X User's lips are sealed
:-C User is really bummed
<|-) User is Chinese
<|-( User is Chinese and doesn't like these kind of jokes
:-/ User is skeptical
C=:-) User is a chef
@= User is pro-nuclear war
*<:-) User is wearing a Santa Claus Hat
:-o Uh oh!
(8-o It's Mr. Bill!
*:o) And Bozo the Clown!
3:] Pet smilie
3:[ Mean Pet smilie
d8= Your pet beaver is wearing goggles and a hard hat.
E-:-) User is a Ham radio operator
:-9 User is licking his/her lips
%-6 User is braindead
[:-) User is wearing a walkman
(:I User is an egghead
<:-I User is a dunce
K:P User is a little kid with a propeller beenie
@:-) User is wearing a turban
:-0 No Yelling! (Quiet Lab)
:-: Mutant Smilie
The invisible smilie
.-) User only has one eye
,-) Ditto...but he's winking
X-( User just died 8
:-) User is a wizard
C=}>;*{)) Mega-Smilie... A drunk, devilish chef with a toupee in an updraft,
a mustache, and a double chin

Smilies Index #3

:-` smiley spitting out its chewing tobacco
:-1 smiley bland face
:-! "
:-@ smiley face screaming
:-#| smiley face with bushy mustache
:-$ smiley face with it's mouth wired shut
:-% smiley banker
:-6 smiley after eating something sour
:^) smiley with pointy nose (righty)
:-7 smiley after a wry statement
8-) smiley swimmer
:-* smiley after eating something bitter
:-& smiley which is tongue-tied
:-0 smiley orator
smiley invisible man
(:- unsmiley frowning
(:-) smiley big-face
):-) "
):-( unsmiley big-face
)8-) scuba smiley big-face
=:-) smiley punk-rocker
=:-( (real punk rockers don't smile)
+:-) smiley priest
:-q smiley trying to touch its tongue to its nose
:-e disappointed smiley
:-t cross smiley
:-i semi-smiley
:-o smiley singing national anthem
:-p smiley sticking its tongue out (at you!)
:-[ un-smiley blockhead
:-] smiley blockhead
:-{ smiley variation on a theme
:-} ditto
{:-) smiley with its hair parted in the middle
}:-) above in an updraft
:-a lefty smilely touching tongue to nose
:-s smiley after a BIZARRE comment
:-d lefty smiley razzing you
g-) smiley with ponce-nez glasses
:-j left smiling smilely
:-k beats me, looks like something, tho.
:-l y. a. s.
:-: mutant smiley
:-\ undecided smiley
:-| "have an ordinary day" smiley
;-) winking smiley
:-< real sad smiley
:-> y.a.s.
:-z y.a.c.s.
:-x "my lips are sealed" smiley
:-c bummed out smiley
:-v talking head smiley
:v) left-pointing nose smiley
:-b left-pointing tongue smiley
:-/ lefty undecided smiley
:-? smilely smoking a pipe
.-] one-eyed smilely
,-} wry and winking
0-) smiley cyclops (scuba diver?)
:-=) older smiley with mustache
:u) smiley with funny-looking left nose
:n) smiley with funny-looking right nose
:< midget unsmiley
:> midget smiley
}:^#}) mega-smiley: updrafted bushy-mustached pointy nosed smiley with
a double-chin
:-) ha ha
~~:-( net.flame
|-) hee hee
O |-) net.religion
|-D ho ho
:-> hey hey
8 :-I net.unix-wizards
:-( boo hoo
X-( net.suicide
:-I hmm
E-:-I net.ham-radio
:-O uh oh
>:-I net.startrek
:-P nyah nyah
3:o[ net.pets
|-P yuk
:-} beard
:-{ mustache
:-# braces
:-)X bow tie
:-Q smoker
<:I dunce
(:I egghead
@:I turban
8-) glasses
B-) horn-rims
8:-) glasses on forehead
:-8( condescending stare
;-) wink
>:-< mad

Midget Smilies
A lot of these can be typed without noses to make midget smilies.
(I prefer these, as the "real" smilie has no nose anyway)

:) Midget smilie
:] Gleep...a friendly midget smilie who will gladly be your friend
=) Variation on a theme...
:} What should we call these? (what?)
:) Happy
:> what?
:@ what?
:D Laughter
:I Hmmm...
:( Sad
:[ Real Downer
:< what?
:{ what?
:O Yelling
:C what?
:Q what?
:,( Crying
[] Hugs and
:* Kisses
|I Asleep
|^o Snoring

:-( Drama
:-) Comedy
:-o Surpise
8-| Suspense
:- Male
>- Female
|-O Birth
8-# Death
8 Infinity

And a few I've seen, not listed above:

o/ raised hand
\o/ PTL (praise the lord, or pass the loot?)
_\\// Vulcan salute
( o ) ( o ) hooters

Some people on America Online are using unrotated smilies:

^L^ happy
^(^ " variation
@l@ too many hours at terminal
*L* blotto
^)^ ^(^ two people talking

For use in realtime chats:

::Denotes an action by sender::
::poof::
::Eating pizza::

(Denotes thinking out loud to oneself or annotation to comments)
(oh)
(now I see it)

A wrd correction to previous send:
Wrd = word

[name] = Hug
{name} warm fuzzy hug
LOL = Laughing Out Loud
OTF = On The Floor (Laughing)
ROTFL = Rolling On The Floor Laughing
AFK = Away From Keyboard
BAK = Back At Keys
BRB = Be Right Back
NIFOC = Nude In Front Of Computer

Still more smilies:

:-d~ submitter smokes heavily
Q:-) submitter is a new grad
(-: submitter is Australian
M:-) submitter is saluting (symbol of respect)
8) submitter is a frog
B) submitter is a frog who is wearing sunglasses
8P submitter is a bullfrog and it's mating season
8b ditto
|) submitter is a salamander
:8) submitter is a pig
3:-o submitter is a cow
:3-< submitter is a dog
pp# submitter is a cow
pq`#' submitter is a bull
}. submitter is an elephant
`\
+O:-) submitter is the pope.
C=:-) submitter is the Galloping Gourmet
=):-) submitter is Uncle Sam
=|:-) submitter is Abe Lincoln
4:-) submitter is George Washington
5:-) submitter is Elvis Presley
7:-) submitter is Fred Flintstone
submitter is Helen Keller
:/7) submitter is Cyrano de Bergerac
>:*) submitter is Bozo the Clown
#:o+= submitter is Betty Boop
_:^) submitter is an Indian
>>-O-> submitter is Gen. Custer
8(:-) submitter is Walt Disney
>:^( submitter is a headhunter (Amazon style)
-=#:-) submitter has wizard status
(: (=| submitter is going to be a ghost for Halloween...
=:-H submitter plays for NFL
(V)=| submitter is a pacman champion
M-),:X),:-M submitter sees no evil, hears no evil, speaks no evil
C):-O
C):-O
C):-O
C):-O submitter is a barbershop quartet
>:-( is sick and tired of reading this nonsense
;^? has punched out for submitting sexist article
|-O is bored by the article that you submitted
*-) is was shot for the last posting
~~\8-O needs to fix frayed cord on terminal
8-O has taken too many nodoz to work on thesis
L:-) just graduated
$-) just won the lottery
:-@ is extremely angry
:-)' tends to drool
:-o is shocked
B-)-[< is wearing sunglasses and swimming trunk
:-# has been punched in the mouth
R-) has broken glasses
:-7 talks out of side of mouth
%') finished fifth of lunch
:-(O) is yelling
. .
| is lying down

|:-) has heavy eyebrows
{:-) has new hair style
{:-{)} has new hair style, mustache and beard
(:-) has no hair
:~) has ugly nose (needs nose job)
:-E has major dental problems
C:-) has large brain capacity