861-04

1 view

Ian Collier

Sep 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/27/96

So "If you know where I can find some dinosaur bones, tell me where they
are" is a statement, is it? I'm surprised the Oracle didn't take the
supplicant up on this. A statement is something that doesn't require
a response. "Tell me where they are" does, and therefore it isn't a
statement. In fact, it's a demand, and I hardly think the supplicant
is in any position to make demands especially as he didn't grovel.

Ian Collier - i...@comlab.ox.ac.uk - WWW Home Page:
http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/users/ian.collier/index.html

Ariel Scolnicov

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

i...@ecs.ox.ac.uk (Ian Collier) writes:

> So "If you know where I can find some dinosaur bones, tell me where they
> are" is a statement, is it? I'm surprised the Oracle didn't take the

Of course it's a statement. Since the Oracle knows where the
supplicant can find some dinosaur bones, and He didn't tell, we even
know it's a true statement...