Diminutives

Leon

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
I posted a reply in the "latke" thread describing a small latke as a
latkeleh.

For those familiar with the Lower East Side, New York, or yore, here are
some more:

A woman shopping in an "appy" (for the whitebread eaters, an appy is an
"appetizing store", a shop selling fish, cheese and non-meat delicatessen
products) asked the merchant, "How much it is a pickle?" The man pointed to
the sign and replied "A nickel." The shopper pointed to the smallest pickle
and asked, "And how much it is for this pickeleh?". The man replied, "For
the pickeleh, a nickeleh."

On a pushcart, the elderly vendor displayed eyeglasses among the
miscellaneous used items for sale. A babushka (elderly woman with a head
scarf) tried on several pairs until she found one she liked. The vendor
asked, "With this you can see good?"
She smiled as she reached into her pocketbook for the quarter the glasses
cost, "No. But they are perfect. With these you look like a yingeleh (young
boy) so my friends will also look better."

Leon

Frank Peelo

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98

Leon wrote in message <750pdu$p...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

>A woman shopping in an "appy" (for the whitebread eaters, an appy is
an
>"appetizing store"

as in the song "If you're happy in an appy clap your hands"?

Frank

Fred Rosenblatt

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
Leon wrote in message <750pdu$p...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

>A woman shopping in an "appy" (for the whitebread eaters, an appy is
> an appetizing store"

What am I, a termite?

Dr.Matt

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
In article <fredr5-1612...@frosenbl.jpl.nasa.gov>,

What happens if you are one?

--
Matt Fields, DMA http://listen.to/mattaj TwelveToneToyBox http://start.at/tttb
"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread,

Dr.Matt

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
In article <757v9d$q3l$1...@news.indigo.ie>, Frank Peelo <fpe...@indigo.ie> wrote:

>Leon wrote in message <750pdu$p...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...
>>A woman shopping in an "appy" (for the whitebread eaters, an appy is
>an
>>"appetizing store"
>
>as in the song "If you're happy in an appy clap your hands"?

Where I grew up, "an appy" was sold in the Feminine Care Aisle.

Jfer

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
Well, maybe I've been watching too much "ER," but to me, "appy" can only be
an appendectomy.

Definitely not a time to clap your hands...

-----