National University of Ireland arms

Peter

Jan 8, 2007, 8:45:03 AM1/8/07
The National University of Ireland seems to have changed its arms.

The arms were granted in 1912 as "vert, a harp or, with seven strings
argent, in chief a five-pointed star of the second charged with a trefoil of
the field" with the mottoes "veritati and "fir fer".

Images at http://www.netsoc.tcd.ie/~peterh/nuiarms/.

Not sure if the chief herald was consulted.

Peter

Madalch

Jan 8, 2007, 2:56:18 PM1/8/07
Peter wrote:
> The National University of Ireland seems to have changed its arms.

It really pains me to see a heraldically-illiterate university so
bastardize their arms. Although you'd think I'd be used to it, since
it happens so often.

Peter

Jan 9, 2007, 11:39:49 AM1/9/07
Also http://www.trinitynews.ie/article.php?id=163

"Madalch" <tres...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sean J Murphy

Jan 10, 2007, 7:57:19 PM1/10/07
Peter wrote:

We discussed University College Dublin's 'logoisation' of its arms
before, and it is not surprising to see the National University of
Ireland and now Trinity College Dublin following suit. We past-oriented
chaps are of course irritated by the modern mania for constantly
changing and rebranding things, and as I have observed elsewhere, the
term 'patina of age' probably connotes some sort of disease worthy of
eradication to devotees of modernism. That said, I think that today's
heralds and their artists should seek to emulate the relative simplicity
of early heraldic art, and move away from the excesses of recent
centuries. No offence intended to the lady, but the arms of Margaret
Thatcher are what I have in mind:
http://home.att.net/~numericana/arms/thatcher.htm

Sean Murphy

PS Read the following if you want a bit of a laugh:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/business-a-big-cliche-going-forward/2005/07/01/1119724813215.html

Sean J Murphy

Jan 10, 2007, 8:05:53 PM1/10/07
Sean J Murphy wrote:

PS To preserve balance, I should add that I also have in mind the arms
of President Mary McAleese: http://www.nli.ie/mcaleeses_coats_of_arms.jpg

Sean Murphy

Madalch

Jan 10, 2007, 8:49:13 PM1/10/07
Sean J Murphy wrote:

> No offence intended to the lady, but the arms of Margaret
> Thatcher are what I have in mind:
> http://home.att.net/~numericana/arms/thatcher.htm

Those aren't -really- bad at all- two colours and one metal, and a
grand total of three different charges.

Compare them to the arms of the Irish heraldic office (four quarters,
all with different tinctures, plus a chief), or the Royal Arms of
Canada, or the arms of the University of Western Ontario
(http://www.mad-alchemy.com/heraldry/academic/uwo.htm).

Guy Stair Sainty

Jan 11, 2007, 9:27:16 AM1/11/07
In article <1168480153....@o58g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Madalch
says...

>Sean J Murphy wrote:

>Compare them to the arms of the Irish heraldic office (four quarters,
>all with different tinctures, plus a chief), or the Royal Arms of
>Canada, or the arms of the University of Western Ontario
>(http://www.mad-alchemy.com/heraldry/academic/uwo.htm).

The supporters, despite apparently their heads being those of male beasts, have
been emasculated it would seem. Is this out of prudishness or some new fangled
aspect of policial correctness?

--
Guy Stair Sainty
www.chivalricorders.org/index3.htm

George Lucki

Jan 11, 2007, 9:51:39 AM1/11/07
"Guy Stair Sainty" <g...@sainty.org> wrote in message

Likely both.
One former GG - Romeo LeBlanc apparently thought membered and armed critters
on armorial achievements were rude and so had the lion in the vice-regal
crest dismembered and muted. These parts have since been happily resptored.
It is possible that the same silly and misplaced sentiment infected this
academic institution.
George Lucki

Peter

Jan 11, 2007, 11:31:56 AM1/11/07
"Sean J Murphy" <sjbm...@SPAMOUTeircom.net> wrote in message

> We discussed University College Dublin's 'logoisation' of its arms before,
> and it is not surprising to see the National University of Ireland and now
> Trinity College Dublin following suit. We past-oriented

Trinity isn't following suit quite yet, I was just pointing out that it is
inevitable.

Peter

Madalch

Jan 11, 2007, 12:25:14 PM1/11/07

George Lucki wrote:

> One former GG - Romeo LeBlanc apparently thought membered and armed critters
> on armorial achievements were rude and so had the lion in the vice-regal
> crest dismembered and muted. These parts have since been happily resptored.
> It is possible that the same silly and misplaced sentiment infected this
> academic institution.

This was the version as granted by the CoA, I believe.

What did Robertson Davies say on the subject of supporters?

"In Canada, we geld everything..."