European Nobility - question

guy_stair_sainty

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

I would be grateful if anyone could give me the dates on which
the last titles of nobility were conferred on persons other than
royal family members in the following states:

Denmark
Sweden
The Netherlands
Luxembourg

Many thanks

GUY STAIR SAINTY
Stair...@msn.com

Louis Epstein

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

GuyStairSainty wrote:
: I would be grateful if anyone could give me the dates on which

: the last titles of nobility were conferred on persons other than
: royal family members in the following states:
:
: Sweden

1902

Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

Guy, Stair, Sainty wrote:

> I would be grateful if anyone could give me the dates on which
> the last titles of nobility were conferred on persons other than
> royal family members in the following states:
>
> Denmark
> Sweden
> The Netherlands
> Luxembourg
>
> Many thanks
>
> GUY STAIR SAINTY
> Stair...@msn.com

As for Denmark:

- The last elevation into the non-titled hereditary nobility was the
family of Koefoed May 23rd 1903 (three sons of Hans Jacob Koefoed
1785-1870).

- The last grant of the title of baron was to Gustav Alexander
Berner(-Schilden) as baron Berner-Schilden-Holsten October 20th 1880
(with limitation February 5th 1887).

- The last grant of the title of greve (count) (with the exception of
the counts of Rosenborg) was to Curt Ulrich Graf von Haugwitz (German
count and baron) as greve Haugwitz-Hardenberg-Reventlow October 1st
1885.

- The last grant of the title of markgreve (marquis) was to Francesco di
Ratta of Bologna as markgreve af Mandal 1710.

- The only two grants of the _Danish_ title of hertug (duke) ever was to
Elie Louis comte Decazes as hertug af Glücksbierg June 12th 1818, and to
Wilhelm, duke of Slesvig-Holsten-Sønderborg-Beck (1785-1831), as duke of
Slesvig-Holsten-Sønderborg-Glücksburg 1825.

Apart from these nobilitations there have in this century been a few
cases of already noble families being allowed to change their names
and/or coats-of-arms due to inheritance of entailed estates, etc. These
have, however, not resulted in an expansion of the nobility.

The titles of baron Berner-Schilden-Holsten and count
Haugwitz-Hardenberg-Reventlow were, however, to some extent not really
"new" nobilitations, since they were the result of the inheritance
through females of a barony and a county respectively. If these are
disregarded the two last "new" were, I believe, these:

- The grant of the title of baron to Charles Joachim Hambro October 9th
1851.

- The grant of the title of grevinde (countess) von Röst to Elisabeth
von Ziegesar (1856-87) July 1st 1883, who had morganatically married the
brother of king Christian IX, Julius, prince of
Slesvig-Holsten-Sønderborg-Glücksburg.

It should also be noted that the concept of non-hereditary
nobility-by-office _in principle_ has never been abolished, and that the
most recent Royal Resolution (1808) confirming this and listing the
various offices, is still abstracted in the "Hof- og Statskalender",
i.e. the annual of the court.

I hope this may be of help. Please let me know, if you need further
information.

Sincerely,

Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard
Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard
E-mail: kur...@geocities.com
PAX, LIBERTAS ET SUUM CUIQUE

Erik Togstad

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard <kur...@geocities.com> skrev i artikkelen
<347D36...@geocities.com>...

> Guy, Stair, Sainty wrote:
> >
> > I would be grateful if anyone could give me the dates on which
> > the last titles of nobility were conferred on persons other than
> > royal family members in the following states:
> >
> > Denmark
> > Sweden
> > The Netherlands
> > Luxembourg
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > GUY STAIR SAINTY
> > Stair...@msn.com
>
> As for Denmark:
>

> - The last grant of the title of markgreve (marquis) was to Francesco di
> Ratta of Bologna as markgreve af Mandal 1710.

Have you got any more information about this markgreve ? Has he got any
connection to the Norwegian town Mandal ?

Erik Togstad

Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

Erik Togstad wrote:

> Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard <kur...@geocities.com> skrev i artikkelen
> <347D36...@geocities.com>...

> > - The last grant of the title of markgreve (marquis) was to Francesco di
> > Ratta of Bologna as markgreve af Mandal 1710.
> >
> Have you got any more information about this markgreve ? Has he got any
> connection to the Norwegian town Mandal ?
>
> Erik Togstad

No--and no, I am sorry to say. This title of "markgreve", and one other--that of "markgreve af Lister", which
I believe is also in Norway--were among a number of titles which king Frederik IV of Denmark-Norway
distributed somewhat generously to Italian noblemen, when he travelled Italy in 1709-10. I am not sure why
the king chose Norwegian placenames for these titles, but I suppose that he felt that the title of
marquis--which did not otherwise exist in the Danish nobility--had to be "of" somewhere, as opposed to count
which could just be associated with the family name. As for heraldry, the conferral of the titles did
actually result in the design of a Danish marquis coronet (which, however, is little known).

Very little is known about these nobilitations; they were registered back in Denmark, but the heirs were not
tracked. In the late 19th century there were still descendants of Francesco di Ratta, but the title is
believed to be extinct. If you should want to track these titles, I am sure that the editors of Dansk Adels
Aarbog would be delighted to add the genealogies to those already published of the Danish nobility.

Sincerely,

PKK

Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

Kurrild-Klitgaard, wrote:

> - The last elevation into the non-titled hereditary nobility was the
> family of Koefoed May 23rd 1903 (three sons of Hans Jacob Koefoed
> 1785-1870).

I am sorry to say that I have just realized that I made a small
error. Checking with my various notes and reference sources I
remembered that the last elevation of someone to the hereditary Danish
nobility (with the exception of the various counts of Rosenborg) was not
the Koefoed family in 1903. Rather it was the naturalization as Danish
nobility October 3rd 1904 of a number of members of the (von) Bülow
family. My mistake was partly due to two facts:

1) The nobilitation was a "correction" in the sense that people thought
that these Bülows (who were recognized as German nobility and had held
important positions in Danish service for generations) actually were
noble, and the nobilitation was merely an attempt to correct this (e.g.,
so that the daughters could gain access to the various convents of the
nobility);

2) Various branches of the Bülows have been naturalized as members of
the Danish nobility more than a dozen times.

But I excuse the mistake.