Castleshort/Caisleanghearr update

Sean J Murphy

Sep 10, 2008, 5:50:56 AM9/10/08
I understand that legal warnings have been issued in relation to online
commentary on the Baron of Castleshort, Gaelic Caisleanghearr. In
anticipation of being approached myself with regard to my observations
at http://homepage.eircom.net/%7Eseanjmurphy/chiefs/chiefswatch.htm, I
have re-examined what I have written and can find no factual inaccuracy
there. Rechecking file documents, as I tend to do in such circumstances,
I am reminded of the following remarkable post on rec.heraldry on 20
July 1999:

AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM THE HEADQUARTERS OF
THE ROYAL EOGHANACHT GALLOGLAS GUARD
BORRMOUNT MANOR
BORRMOUNT BREE
ENNISCORTHY, CO. WEXFORD
REP. of IRELAND

As the duly sworn bodyguard of Terence Francis MacCarthy, The MacCarthy
Mór, Prince of Desmond, The Royal Eóghanacht Galloglas Guard rejects in
total the pronouncement made by the Genealogical Office of the National
Library of the Irish Republic regarding the validity of The MacCarthy
Mór's claim to that title. We question the motives and integrity of the
Irish Genealogical Office, and of those individuals involved with this
matter. We especially question the bone fides and motives of one Sean
(John) Murphy, the self proclaimed genealogist (he has been excluded
from the group of genealogists associated with the the I.G.O.) in
preparing the distorted material which has formed the background to this
matter. We further question the motives of "The Sunday Times" (Irish
edition) in their failure to allow the publication of a letter of
response from The MacCarthy Mór regarding their defamatory article of 20
July 1999 entitled 'IRISH CLAN CHIEF'S REIGN MAY BE OVER.'

To those interested parties who wish to see this letter, as well as
copies of further letters listed herebelow, they may be viewed at
http://www.luminet.net/~tiraha/letters/:
- Open Letter to the Sunday Times, July 4th, 1999
- Open Letter from John G. O’Donnell, Solicitor to The MacCarthy Mór,
July 10th, 1999
- Open Response to Sean Murphy by The MacCarthy Mór, July 10th, 1999

The Royal Eóghanacht Galloglas Guard will use all resources at its
disposal to investigate both the backgrounds and motives of the Office
and individuals involved in this matter, as is our sworn oath to protect
and serve the true MacCarthy Mór, Prince of Desmond and Lord of
Kerslawny. The G2 Branch of the Headquarters have commenced a primary
investigation in to the matter and a report will be submitted and
published in due course.

Respectfully,
Colonel James Shortt, The Baron of Castleshort, NN
Colonel Commandant, Royal Eóghanacht Galloglas Guard

Captain David Robert Wooten of Ballywoodane, SCSG, NN, OMNN
Commanding Officer, Saint Breándan Detachment, Royal Eóghanacht
Galloglas Guard
(End quote)

The above statement is still a document on the public record in that it
can be easily accessed on the Google Groups archive at
http://groups.google.com. To be fair, the final signatory of the
statement and most other former supporters of Terence MacCarthy have
long since dissociated themselves from his legacy, namely, spurious
Gaelic titles, the Niadh Nask fantasy, the intimidatory Galloglas Guard,
and indeed legal threats to silence critics.

Sean Murphy
Irish Chiefs http://homepage.eircom.net/%7Eseanjmurphy/chiefs

Sean J Murphy

Sep 10, 2008, 7:08:59 AM9/10/08
Sean J Murphy wrote:

> . . . . .

> AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM THE HEADQUARTERS OF
> THE ROYAL EOGHANACHT GALLOGLAS GUARD
> BORRMOUNT MANOR
> BORRMOUNT BREE
> ENNISCORTHY, CO. WEXFORD
> REP. of IRELAND
>
> As the duly sworn bodyguard of Terence Francis MacCarthy, The MacCarthy
> Mór, Prince of Desmond, The Royal Eóghanacht Galloglas Guard rejects in
> total the pronouncement made by the Genealogical Office of the National
> Library of the Irish Republic regarding the validity of The MacCarthy
> Mór's claim to that title. We question the motives and integrity of the
> Irish Genealogical Office, and of those individuals involved with this
> matter. We especially question the bone fides and motives of one Sean
> (John) Murphy, the self proclaimed genealogist (he has been excluded
> from the group of genealogists associated with the the I.G.O.) in
> preparing the distorted material which has formed the background to this
> matter.

> . . . .

Alas, the passage of time since the Galloglas statement was issued in
1999 has not caused Mr Shortt to mellow in his attitude to me, as shown
by the following extract from a letter dated 28 August 2008 posted at
http://www.byronik.com/cqb.html:

'I note your support for the self proclaimed genealogical expert Mr
Murphy, whose actions resulted in an exasperated Irish Government
abandoning courtesy recognition of the Gaelic titles. I suggest you read
the MacSweeney Clan site very exact exposure of Murphy. If you still
wish to quote Murphy or link him afterwards to your site that is your
call: sweeneyclanchief.com/id27.htm'

Mr Sweeney's 'exact exposure' of myself is more a series of personal
attacks designed to conceal the want of documentary evidence to support
his claim to chiefship, and indeed his failure to release the report of
his professional genealogist which he claims counters my report at
http://homepage.eircom.net/%7Eseanjmurphy/chiefs/macsweeneydoe.html

Sean Murphy

Joseph McMillan

Sep 10, 2008, 7:21:23 AM9/10/08
On Sep 10, 5:50 am, Sean J Murphy <sjbmur...@SPAMOUTeircom.net> wrote:
> I understand that legal warnings have been issued in relation to online
> commentary on the Baron of Castleshort, Gaelic Caisleanghearr. In
> anticipation of being approached myself with regard to my observations
> athttp://homepage.eircom.net/%7Eseanjmurphy/chiefs/chiefswatch.htm, I

> have re-examined what I have written and can find no factual inaccuracy
> there.

For some reason, reading about "Clan MacShort" in the context of the
"Gallowglass Guard" makes me think of Roderick Spode's Black Shorts
movement in P. G. Wodehouse's Wooster and Jeeves novels.

It also reminds me of my own magnum opus, "The Raising of the
MacBlaggarts," which I posted a couple of years ago in the HSS forum:

“Look,” said the Lowlanders, “look at those tartans!
Those Highlanders must think that they are the smart ‘uns!
They think they’re so cool, with their crests and their feathers,
Their sporrans and skene dhus and sword belts of leathers.
Why can’t we be like them and have our own clan?
We’re as good as they are,” they agreed to a man.

Then suddenly up walked a colonel named Gayre,
And he said “I have just the plan—if you dare.
Remember Sylvester McMonkey McBean?
The man with the marvelous star-on machine?
I have one to make clans: it’s called a derbfhine!
You’d be a great chief but forgot where your clan went?
No worries—we’ll make you a new one through manrent!
Look, look! It’s all here in Tam Innes’s book!
I know how to do it—please, do take a look!”

So the rest of that day, by the moors and the lochses,
They signed all their papers and put them in boxes,
And sent them express to the register houses,
They sealed them in lead to protect them from mouses.
They waited for months for the Lyon to roar.
They stood at the window, they stood at the door,
Awaiting the post that would bring their arms,
Imagining names they could take from their farms,
To make themselves lairds! Barons! Chieftains! Or chiefs, yit!
Two feathers! Three feathers? Can you believe it?

At long last the scrolls came; the letters were patent;
Their banners of arms they could hoist on the great tent.
With crayons and markers their tartan they drew,
They trysted together, the new clansman crew.
They pushed their chief forward, with Gayre at his shoulder,
And as he pushed forward he grew ever bolder.
”We're here! I’m MacBlaggart of Upper Bigboulders,
Chief of MacBlaggart with all of my soldiers!
I may not have kin, but I found myself subs,
I found myself nine... Let us into your clubs!
We want to go shooting, we want to drink whisky,
We want to fish salmon, play bridge, and act frisky.”

They beat on the door till it fell to the ground.
They pushed through the doorway and looked all around,
But all that they found was a black house stripped bare,
With scorches on walls left by Dalrymple Stair.
No whisky, no sherry, no cards to play bridge,
No soft leather sofas, not even a fridge.

“Where are the Frasers, Lochiels, and Clanranalds,
The Keppochs and Huisdeans and other MacDonalds?”
They asked an old shepherd they saw on the street.
“Where the MacGregors, and Menzies, and Sleat?”

The man said, “I don’t know those names that you say,
Except for McDonalds—it’s open all day.
But if you would find those who used to be here,
You must travel far. It might take you a year.
They all went to Canada, Manchester, China,
Ulster and Kent, even North Carolina.
Now if you’ll excuse me I must get some sleep,
So if ye be Highlanders, please mind my sheep.”

;-)

Joseph McMillan

Nathaniel Taylor

Sep 10, 2008, 7:52:57 AM9/10/08
In article
<e44a02a8-ca06-4388...@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Joseph McMillan <mcmil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For some reason, reading about "Clan MacShort" in the context of the
> "Gallowglass Guard" makes me think of Roderick Spode's Black Shorts
> movement in P. G. Wodehouse's Wooster and Jeeves novels.

(!)

> It also reminds me of my own magnum opus, "The Raising of the
> MacBlaggarts," which I posted a couple of years ago in the HSS forum:
>

> łLook,˛ said the Lowlanders, łlook at those tartans!
> Those Highlanders must think that they are the smart Śuns!

Excellent verse, Seuss meets Service. I would have liked to see
something about forging ancestors' gravestones, but what would rhyme
with 'supporters'?

Nat Taylor
a genealogist's sketchbook:
http://www.nltaylor.net/sketchbook/

Peter Constantine

Sep 10, 2008, 1:28:08 PM9/10/08
Nathaniel Taylor wrote:

> Excellent verse, Seuss meets Service. I would have liked to see
> something about forging ancestors' gravestones, but what would rhyme
> with 'supporters'?

"Behold our stately heraldic supporters
And death be to those who refuse to support us"

...er

[...I'll get my coat]

Turenne

Sep 10, 2008, 6:04:47 PM9/10/08
Peter Constantine wrote:

> "Behold our stately heraldic supporters
>  And death be to those who refuse to support us"

William Mc Gonagall has been resurrected in the person of Peter
Constantine! :)

I understand that Mr Shortt is threatening to sue the British Army
Rumour Service (ARRSE).They have long questioned Shortt's military
background.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=104888.html

Richard Lichten

Peter Constantine

Sep 11, 2008, 2:48:29 AM9/11/08
Richard wrote:

> I understand that Mr Shortt is threatening to sue the British Army
> Rumour Service (ARRSE).They have long questioned Shortt's military
> background.

Shortt vs. Arrse?! Please let this happen...

Sean J Murphy

Sep 12, 2008, 8:09:35 AM9/12/08

That's a good one, which has found it way onto ARRSE, and where too it
has been advised that a reply to Mr Shortt's legal threats should be in
the nature of that in the case Arkell v Pressdram:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=104888/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=120.html

Sean Murphy

gra...@gmilne.demon.co.uk

Sep 12, 2008, 11:01:27 AM9/12/08