looking for a firing range near San Francisco

johan....@comcast.net

Oct 10, 2006, 7:58:54 PM10/10/06
Could someone recommend a good firing range? I'm located in Daly City,
which is just sourth of San Francisco. I'm looking for a place that has
facilities for both pistols and rifles. It should also offer
instruction, which I need as a complete beginner.

Johan Larson

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net

Win a Fulton Armory M1 carbine with red-dot sight and ammo. Protect your
2nd Amendment Rights at the same time! See details at http://www.myguns.net

Peter McMullen

Oct 10, 2006, 11:03:25 PM10/10/06
johan....@comcast.net wrote:
# Could someone recommend a good firing range? I'm located in Daly City,
# which is just sourth of San Francisco. I'm looking for a place that has
# facilities for both pistols and rifles. It should also offer
# instruction, which I need as a complete beginner.
#
# Johan Larson
#

Nevada? Sorry... couldn't resist...

--
"At this time, Google policy does not permit the
advertisement of websites that contain 'firearms and

BOYCOTT GOOGLE, USE ALTAVISTA

:-)

chang

Oct 10, 2006, 11:03:33 PM10/10/06
johan....@comcast.net wrote:
#
# Could someone recommend a good firing range? I'm located in Daly City,
# which is just sourth of San Francisco. I'm looking for a place that has
# facilities for both pistols and rifles. It should also offer
# instruction, which I need as a complete beginner.

Jackson Arms is located a few miles from you near SF airport. It's an
indoor range with 9 pistol and 3 rifle bays. Max distance for both is 25
years. Their beginners instruction package has both class and range
time. I think the cost is around $50. Their website URL is:
www.jacksonarms.com

Phil

Burt Smith

Oct 11, 2006, 9:11:12 AM10/11/06

johan....@comcast.net wrote:

Check out Reeds indoor range in Santa Clara. Good staff, good range.
They have a store that sells anything you need. I have fired anything
from .22 to .357 revolver and rifle.
They have a big variety of rental pistols if you want to try something
different.

http://www.reedsindoorrange.com/

johan....@comcast.net

Oct 11, 2006, 9:11:26 AM10/11/06

Peter McMullen wrote:
# johan....@comcast.net wrote:
# # Could someone recommend a good firing range? I'm located in Daly City,
# # which is just sourth of San Francisco. I'm looking for a place that has
# # facilities for both pistols and rifles. It should also offer
# # instruction, which I need as a complete beginner.
#
# Nevada? Sorry... couldn't resist...

Will our esteemed moderator grant me leeway to respond to this impudent
youngster using the single-fingered mudra of contempt?

Johan Larson

[MODERATOR: Mmmm, no. ]

data...@excite.com

Oct 11, 2006, 9:11:29 AM10/11/06
Good luck! The SF Bay Area is one of the most Anti-gun areas in the
country!
For that matter, California is an anti-gun state and violator of the
2nd amendment of
the US constitution. It is practically impossible to get a CCW
permit in any county
in CA unless you are a politician or big-wig! The NRA has been
fighting SF City & County
on its handgun ordinances for years.
If you want to go outside and shoot guns, then try Lake Chabot in
Alameda County
which I used to do in the past. You can shoot a handgun and rifle
outside there.
Call them up, ok?
FYI, in CA, 50bmg is banned! SMGs are banned! Silencers or
Suppressors are
banned! and high capacity magazines over 10 rds are banned, too.
Better go to Nevada, and you can do all this legally.

Herb Leong

Oct 11, 2006, 11:45:51 AM10/11/06
In article <egiqi1$9v2$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>, <data...@excite.com> wrote:
#the US constitution. It is practically impossible to get a CCW
#permit in any county
While CA is very anti-gun in general, there are some counties
with shall-issue policies. Not just the ones out in the sticks,
either. Check out www.packing.org for details.

#in CA unless you are a politician or big-wig! The NRA has been
#fighting SF City & County
#on its handgun ordinances for years.
Yup.

Johan,

What type of rifles are you planning to shoot?

/herb

Asa

Oct 12, 2006, 6:50:01 AM10/12/06

johan....@comcast.net wrote:
# Could someone recommend a good firing range? I'm located in Daly City,
# which is just sourth of San Francisco. I'm looking for a place that has
# facilities for both pistols and rifles. It should also offer
# instruction, which I need as a complete beginner.
#
# Johan Larson
It's a bit far, but the Santa Clara Field Sports Park south of San Jose
hosts holds rifle clinics/matches geared towards beginners. These are
typically held on the first Saturday of the month. See
http://www.zouaves.org/ for details.

Others have mentioned Chabot ( http://www.chabotgunclub.com/ ) and
possibly Richmond Gun Club ( www.richmondrodandgun.com ), both of which
have similar programs.

hkfooey

Oct 12, 2006, 6:50:12 AM10/12/06
Other places you can try would be the Richmond club up north, San
Leandro by Davis street (by 880), Target Master West by Milpitas police
station (only in door) or Chabot in Castro Valley.

hkfooey

johan....@comcast.net

Oct 12, 2006, 6:50:19 AM10/12/06

Herb Leong wrote:
# Johan,
#
# What type of rifles are you planning to shoot?

.22s. I figure the right place to start is with something easy to
control, which to me says rifle rather than pistol, and small-bore
rather than large-.

Johan Larson

johan....@comcast.net

Oct 12, 2006, 6:50:20 AM10/12/06

chang wrote:
# Jackson Arms is located a few miles from you near SF airport. It's an
# indoor range with 9 pistol and 3 rifle bays. Max distance for both is 25
# years. Their beginners instruction package has both class and range
# time. I think the cost is around $50. Their website URL is:
# www.jacksonarms.com

25 yards, with rifles? Isn't that a bit short?

Johan Larson

Doug T

Oct 12, 2006, 4:24:39 PM10/12/06
Smart man.
BTW 25yds isn't too short, especially with open sights and a 22. If you
learn to use open sights, proper breath control, trigger squeeze, you'll
be set to shoot most anything else you want to at any reasonable range.

Doug T

Peter McMullen

Oct 12, 2006, 4:24:45 PM10/12/06
johan....@comcast.net wrote:
# Peter McMullen wrote:
# # johan....@comcast.net wrote:
# # # Could someone recommend a good firing range? I'm located in Daly City,
# # # which is just sourth of San Francisco. I'm looking for a place that has
# # # facilities for both pistols and rifles. It should also offer
# # # instruction, which I need as a complete beginner.

# #
# # Nevada? Sorry... couldn't resist...
#
# Will our esteemed moderator grant me leeway to respond to this impudent
# youngster using the single-fingered mudra of contempt?

#
# Johan Larson
#
# [MODERATOR: Mmmm, no. ]
#

Sounds like a case of do unto others what you have already
done to yourselves ;-)

--
"At this time, Google policy does not permit the
advertisement of websites that contain 'firearms and
ammunition'."

BOYCOTT GOOGLE, USE ALTAVISTA

:-)

Dave

Oct 12, 2006, 4:24:47 PM10/12/06
I travel a lot and always check http://wheretoshoot.org/. It seems to have
a pretty current list of ranges.

<johan....@comcast.net> wrote in message

Herb Leong

#25 yards, with rifles? Isn't that a bit short?

Sure is... I would say that it is good for someone who wants to
chron/test a load and does not want to drive a long distance for a
quick test.

/herb

chang

Oct 13, 2006, 9:11:06 AM10/13/06
johan....@comcast.net wrote:
#
# chang wrote:
# # Jackson Arms is located a few miles from you near SF airport. It's an
# # indoor range with 9 pistol and 3 rifle bays. Max distance for both is 25
# # years. Their beginners instruction package has both class and range
# # time. I think the cost is around $50. Their website URL is:
# # www.jacksonarms.com
#
# 25 yards, with rifles? Isn't that a bit short?

Yes, but it's better than nothing. The rifle lanes are really only good
for function checking mags, etc.

It's a new range, just opened 3 months ago. Forgot to mention that you
can shoot rifle calibers up to 30-06. Pretty loud in the 3 lane rifle
bay.

Phil

Herb Leong

Oct 13, 2006, 9:11:06 AM10/13/06
In article <egl6lb$j59$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>,
<johan....@comcast.net> wrote:
## What type of rifles are you planning to shoot?
#
#.22s. I figure the right place to start is with something easy to
#control, which to me says rifle rather than pistol, and small-bore
#rather than large-.

You might want to contact the Pacific Rod and Gun Club. They have
a indoor .22LR rifle range open to Juniors and Members. While it
is a bit of a stretch to join a mostly shotgun club just to use a
side benifit, the range is free from high-power muzzle blast
distractions. The guy who used to run the .22LR range on Thursdays
was top-notch. Too bad he passed away. Not sure about who runs it
now.

Another place to look is Coyote Point, which also has a .22LR rifle
range which is away from the high-power centerfire shooters. They
have clubs that use the range who offer instruction.

/herb

Sawfish

Oct 13, 2006, 8:23:38 PM10/13/06

Off topic a bit, but I can recall driving up to Wolfback Ridge Road on
Waldo Grade, just above Sausalito (!!!) to shoot out in the open back in
the mid-60's.

Time change, huh?

Peter McMullen

Oct 14, 2006, 8:58:41 AM10/14/06
Sawfish wrote:
# > ...
#
# Off topic a bit, but I can recall driving up to Wolfback Ridge Road on
# Waldo Grade, just above Sausalito (!!!) to shoot out in the open back in
# the mid-60's.
#
# Time change, huh?
#

If somebody wants a real rifle range, I recall that there is
a 1000 yard range about 25 miles southeast of Sacramento.

http://sacvalley.org/

Its a ways to go, but depending on where one lives in the
"bay area" it wouldn't be too bad for weekend recreation.

--
"At this time, Google policy does not permit the
advertisement of websites that contain 'firearms and
ammunition'."

BOYCOTT GOOGLE, USE ALTAVISTA

:-)

Alan C. Jones

Oct 15, 2006, 7:57:38 AM10/15/06
Hi Johan,
I'm glad you asked that question. I have now learned of three ranges of
which I was not aware. I can personally recommend the Richmond Rod and Gun
club (about 7 minute drive north of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge). They
have short handgun anf rimfire range and both 100 and 200 yard lanes. They
also have a pretty active SASS (Single Action Shooter Society) group if you
and your family REALLY want to play cowboys. The club has some good ole
boys around who are very helpful.
I wouldn't try the "Bulls-eye" range in San Rafael, just because it is
pretty stark and that room is really loud. No problem with the owners. The
San Rafael Rod and Gun Club used to have access to the San Quentin Range a
couple of days a month, but there is now a brand new indoor range there, and
the members of the Rod and G__ club have forgotten what the "G" stands for.
There is no other place in Marin to shoot, and if you wanted to try an
open area to plink, like Sawfish used to do, DON'T!!! I can assure you that
in "politically correct" Marin and most of the Bay Area, all Deer, Bunnies,
and other assorted fauna are legally bound and authorized to make a
citizen's arrest if you bring one of those hideous "gun" things outside to
play with. County Sheriffs all over the Bay Area have absolutely no sense
of humor regarding shooting anywhere.
I wish you luck, Johan. May you shoot safely and often.
Alan :))

Long Ranger

Oct 16, 2006, 7:53:25 AM10/16/06

"Peter McMullen" <pjmc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
# Sawfish wrote:
# # > ...
# #

# # Off topic a bit, but I can recall driving up to Wolfback Ridge Road on
# # Waldo Grade, just above Sausalito (!!!) to shoot out in the open back in
# # the mid-60's.

# #
# # Time change, huh?
# #
#

# If somebody wants a real rifle range, I recall that there is
# a 1000 yard range about 25 miles southeast of Sacramento.
#
# http://sacvalley.org/
#
# Its a ways to go, but depending on where one lives in the
# "bay area" it wouldn't be too bad for weekend recreation.

Yeah, it's closer to Ione. It's a pretty good range, and has trap, skeet,
silhouette, handgun, rimfire, and up to 1000 yard centerfire ranges. The 100
yard, and 300 yard ranges are side by side, which makes sighting your
hunting rifle real handy. They keep a real tight reign on assholes too.
There is little, if any funny business occuring. Nice grounds, flush
toilets, snacks, shooting store, knowledgeable people. 100.00 a year
membership, and that cuts your shooting session down to about free per
visit, including family.

nord...@yahoo.com

Oct 16, 2006, 8:28:24 PM10/16/06
# # Jackson Arms is located a few miles from you near SF airport. It's an
# # indoor range with 9 pistol and 3 rifle bays. Max distance for both is 25
#
# 25 yards, with rifles? Isn't that a bit short?

The average commerciall indoor range will not accomodate squat,
kneeling, sitting, or prone but almost everyone's offhand and standing
position can use a little work, and 25 yards is plenty far enough to
measure improvement.

Peter McMullen

Oct 17, 2006, 7:16:53 AM10/17/06
nord...@yahoo.com wrote:
# # # Jackson Arms is located a few miles from you near SF airport. It's an
# # # indoor range with 9 pistol and 3 rifle bays. Max distance for both is 25

# #
# # 25 yards, with rifles? Isn't that a bit short?
#
# The average commerciall indoor range will not accomodate squat,
# kneeling, sitting, or prone but almost everyone's offhand and standing
# position can use a little work, and 25 yards is plenty far enough to
# measure improvement.
#

The only problem is that it does not give someone the
opportunity to learn how to work with windage, mirage,
bullet drop, or practicing with a more "powerful" caliber
rifle... and as you noted, the different shooting positions.