2-stage trigger

marc plisko

Apr 24, 2001, 9:12:09 PM4/24/01
Hello group,

I was wondering if anyone could be so kind to explain how the Jewell 2-stage
match trigger (or similar product) for the AR-15 works. I am considering
purchasing one, but would like to better understand its operation first.
Thanks in advance for your insight and expertise!

M. Plisko

You can learn about rec.guns at http://doubletap.cs.umd.edu/rec.guns
* *
* "Shoot the best, forget the rest. Help our cause stop new gun laws." *
* Marylanders for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership raffles a *
* FULTON ARMORY TACTICAL AR-15 CARBINE. Order your tickets today! *
* Details at http://www.direct-action.org *

Kevin Baker

Apr 25, 2001, 8:38:31 AM4/25/01

marc plisko inquired:

#
#I was wondering if anyone could be so kind to explain how the Jewell
2-stage
#match trigger (or similar product) for the AR-15 works. I am considering
#purchasing one, but would like to better understand its operation first.

I have a Jewell on my AR. It works wonderfully!

I'm assuming you want to know what "2-stage" means. In a 2-stage trigger,
there is some movement of the trigger, called "take-up", prior to the
release of the sear. Once this movement has occurred, the trigger stops,
and a bit more force will cause release. This is standard for almost all
military triggers. With the Jewell, both the take-up weight and the final
release weight are adjustable. It is a very clean, crisp feeling, every bit
as good as the single-stage Timney trigger on my Mauser. I did have to
adjust mine for a bit more "break" weight because the rifle doubled on me a
couple of times when I first got it (but MAN was that trigger light!). I
highly recommend the Jewell AR trigger.

Kevin

The Constitution may not be the greatest work ever set to paper,
but it beats what the government is using now.

Pjtg0707

Apr 25, 2001, 8:44:12 AM4/25/01
On 24 Apr 2001 21:12:09 -0400, "marc plisko" <mjp...@erols.com> wrote:

#Hello group,
#
#I was wondering if anyone could be so kind to explain how the Jewell 2-stage
#match trigger (or similar product) for the AR-15 works.

Try this link

http://www.highpowerrifle.com/Jewell.htm

martin

Apr 26, 2001, 6:29:31 AM4/26/01
I have a Bushmaster 2 stage trigger on my ar15 and it has improved my group
almost as much as floating the bbl.

How it works...
A normal trigger in an ar15 has a long release travel during which the hammer
is actually moved further back from its normal cocked position. This causes a
prograssive increase in trigger presure as the process continues. the 2 stage
setup has modified the trigger/hammer interface so that when the trigger is
bulled back, the hammer does not move at all. this means that the trigger
presure does not increase nor is there the normal and agravating gravel feel.
Additionally, the bushmaster trigger has an additional component (a very small
diameter set screw with a spring loaded ball in the end) that is set up to
contact the trigger just before release of the hammer. This is to give the
shooter a warning feel just before the hammer is released. There is still
pleanty of pre-travel in the trigger, but it is VERY clear when you have
reached the end of pre-travel and release is eminant.

I hope that this is a help.

mart

In article <9c5899$36u$1...@xring.cs.umd.edu>, mjp...@erols.com says...

JOHN GARAND

Apr 26, 2001, 10:01:53 AM4/26/01
ON 24 Apr 2001 21:12:09 -0400, "marc plisko" <mjp...@erols.com> WROTE:

#Hello group,
#
#I was wondering if anyone could be so kind to explain how the Jewell 2-stage
#match trigger (or similar product) for the AR-15 works. I am considering
#purchasing one, but would like to better understand its operation first.
#Thanks in advance for your insight and expertise!
#
#M. Plisko

The intent is to make the AR trigger "feel" like those of the M1A/M-14
and M-1 Garand (and many other military rifles). There is a distinct
"step" in the trigger squeeze in a two stage vs. a single stage
trigger. The Jewell, and some or all other 2 stage match triggers for
the AR, also provide a means to "front load" most of the required
weight for Service Rifle competition in the first stage thus allowing
the second stage to provide a light release. Many competition
shooters use the first stage of the two stage trigger to "prep" the
trigger by taking up most of the release weight as they are obtaining
their final sight picture. The lighter "pull" of the 2d stage (if so
set) allows less disturbance of the sight picture and a "surprise
shot".

Clint McKee

Apr 26, 2001, 10:06:58 AM4/26/01
Hi Marc & Group!

marc plisko <mjp...@erols.com> wrote

# I was wondering if anyone could be so kind to explain how the Jewell
2-stage
# match trigger (or similar product) for the AR-15 works. I am considering
# purchasing one, but would like to better understand its operation first.
# Thanks in advance for your insight and expertise!

It's the finest trigger made, for you, the shooter, over time, as it's fully
_user_ adjustable. I cannot over state this.

A two stage trigger is the *only* way to go for a fine creep free match
trigger, on gas guns. The only way.

To avoid wasting a lot of bandwidth, and time, let me explain that all semi
autos need a lot of creep to be safe. The 2 stage design allows for this
safety factor by allowing some trigger movement in a "first stage". Once you
lightly pull through the first stage and feel the stop, a great trigger is
ready to break like glass. Properly installed, this trigger will do just
that :)

It's all we use in our match rifles, and, all we recommend/sell. And, we
have them in stock, both for the large hole Colt and standard small hole.
Call us when ordering if you need to know what you have.

For lot's more terrific info take a weekend at our acclaimed AR15 web site
at the url below. If you like what you see, support it by becoming a
customer. They make it all possible.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the very kind interest!
Clint
Now, with on line ordering!
http://www.fulton-armory.com
http://www.fultonarmory.com

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of
servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your
chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye
were our countrymen. -- Samuel Adams, speech at the
Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776.

Walter J. Kuleck, Ph.D.

Apr 26, 2001, 10:07:13 AM4/26/01
Hi, Folks,

Read the two stage trigger article in the AR-15 Section of the Fulton Armory
FAQ, too!

In my book I elaborate even further on this subject.

Best regards,

Walt Kuleck
Fulton Armory Webmaster
http://www.fulton-armory.com -- Now! On-line Ordering!!
*Everything* for the AR-15, M1 Garand, M14/M1A and M1 Carbine!
Author of "The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide"

[...]

Louis Boyd

Apr 27, 2001, 5:34:01 PM4/27/01
Clint McKee wrote:
#
# Hi Marc & Group!
#
[...]

You'll discover a problem if you install a Jewell two stage trigger if
you own more than one AR-15. If you put this trigger on one of them
the others will feel so awful it will cost you the price of a Jewell
trigger for each of them.
Been there - done that.

--
Lou Boyd