Gunshows and CCW

Peter Nolan

Dec 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/3/97

G'day,

I am going to a gun show this weekend and the thought suddenly struck
me.

When entering a gunshow, what is meant by "all weapons are to be
unloaded and checked before entering." Does this include CCW guns?

If the gun is well concealed then there is little doubt that you could
walk right in with it loaded and hidden, but what happens if you carry
a P16 in a fanny pack that hangs down around you knees? Either you
have the spare wheel to your car in there or a fully loaded gun.

Do they mean that you have to declare your CCW gun too? Then unload it
and carry it around with a cable tie through the breech until you
leave. Then outside the show, take the cable tie out, load and
re-conceal. Sounds dumb to me.

Peter

Now for the Price WAR!
http://aluminator.tierranet.com
(Excuse typo's as I hack at 60+wpm and don't re-read)
(Spelling errors are better than NO reply at all <G>)

Brien P. Crotty

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

At the gunshows near my current residence - in lovely South Bend, Indiana
(home of Notre Dame) - you must unload and tie all weapons, including your
carry gun. I don't get it either - it seems rather foolish to me if the
only reason is safety. I would assume that most people at these shows are
in favor of concealed carry generally, and to establish a policy where
they, implicitly or not, assert that it is dangerous to be carrying around
other people seems counterproductive. Remember that other establishments
(i.e. Blockbuster Video) have been boycotted by "gun-toting maniacs" such
as ourselves for similar behavior.

Brien Crotty

#
# When entering a gunshow, what is meant by "all weapons are to be
# unloaded and checked before entering." Does this include CCW guns?
#
# Do they mean that you have to declare your CCW gun too? Then unload it
# and carry it around with a cable tie through the breech until you
# leave. Then outside the show, take the cable tie out, load and
# re-conceal. Sounds dumb to me.
#
# Peter

Matthew E. Olmstead

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

The last show I went to asked me if I was carrying CCW and asked to
check the weapon. I unloaded it (removed mag, though I had to leave
loaded mag in the car) I popped an unloaded mag in, put 1 bullet in my
pocket (just in case, ha!), and proceeded inside with the gun still in
the holster. Frustrating, yes! Stupid rule, I dunno? After I spent way
too much more money than I should have and finally got back out to my
car, I just switched mags, racked the slide and reholstered. No big
deal.

sv...@ll.mit.edu

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

Peter Nolan wrote:

# When entering a gunshow, what is meant by "all weapons are to be
# unloaded and checked before entering." Does this include CCW guns?
#
# Do they mean that you have to declare your CCW gun too? Then unload it
# and carry it around with a cable tie through the breech until you
# leave. Then outside the show, take the cable tie out, load and
# re-conceal. Sounds dumb to me.

Any advice we give you will be anecdotal, of course, but every show I've
ever been to requires you to check and unload _all_ your guns, concealed
or not. Many go so far as to prohibit carrying ammunition into the show
(although you can obviously buy it in there, so I've never fully
understood that particular call).
-- S. Skoog

Blob

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

Peter Nolan wrote:
#
# G'day,

# I am going to a gun show this weekend and the thought suddenly struck
# me.
# When entering a gunshow, what is meant by "all weapons are to be
# unloaded and checked before entering." Does this include CCW guns?
# If the gun is well concealed then there is little doubt that you could
# walk right in with it loaded and hidden, but what happens if you carry
# a P16 in a fanny pack that hangs down around you knees? Either you
# have the spare wheel to your car in there or a fully loaded gun.

# Do they mean that you have to declare your CCW gun too? Then unload it
# and carry it around with a cable tie through the breech until you
# leave. Then outside the show, take the cable tie out, load and
# re-conceal. Sounds dumb to me.
# Peter

That's the practice everywhere I've been (MD, TX, AZ). The principle
seems to be "Absolutely NO loaded weapons at the show." That way you
can be more sure that somebody sighting down on you with a scoped .30-06
across the auditorium is just rude, and not deranged. Think of the bad
publicity gun shows (and the people who go there) would get if at least
one accidental discharge killed or maimed somebody...or if a gunfight
between CCW-holders broke out of an argument.

If you don't disable your CCW piece at the door, you're violating the
trust of the citizens attending and gunshow itself, not to mention the
law, possibly. Personally, I enjoy the experience...don't mind finding
out that the young lady in line ahead of me has been outgunning me; it
makes a great conversation starter.

Happy Shopping!

Bob

--
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
--Benjamin Franklin

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

Peter Nolan wrote:
#
# G'day,
#
# I am going to a gun show this weekend and the thought suddenly struck
# me.
#
# When entering a gunshow, what is meant by "all weapons are to be
# unloaded and checked before entering." Does this include CCW guns?

# YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It means exactly what it says it does....all guns must be checked and
secured including CCW guns.
G.

# If the gun is well concealed then there is little doubt that you could
# walk right in with it loaded and hidden, but what happens if you carry
# a P16 in a fanny pack that hangs down around you knees? Either you
# have the spare wheel to your car in there or a fully loaded gun.
#
# Do they mean that you have to declare your CCW gun too? Then unload it
# and carry it around with a cable tie through the breech until you
# leave. Then outside the show, take the cable tie out, load and
# re-conceal. Sounds dumb to me.
#

# Peter
#
# Now for the Price WAR!
# http://aluminator.tierranet.com
# (Excuse typo's as I hack at 60+wpm and don't re-read)
# (Spelling errors are better than NO reply at all <G>)

Gary M. Jeter

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

Peter Nolan wrote:
#
# G'day,
#
[...]

Its a stupid rule until you realize that the folks who offer the place
for rent don't want to be held liable for some idiot who cranks off a
round in a crowded room. The insurance carrier for the facility won't
cover the owner unless they expressly disallow ALL loaded firearms. No
insurance means no coverage when the fat lady falls down in the bathroom
too. When forced to choose between no-carry and no show, I'll leave
mine in the car. I don't reckon I'll need it in the show anyhow.
--
Gary M. Jeter
Virginia State Rifle Team

Mike Gilliam

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

It's funny how lawmakers think. You go to all the trouble of taking a
safety course, getting finger printed, having mug shots taken and submitting
your life history for a thorough criminal background check. Once you get
the license, you can't be trusted to carry on school property, inside city
or government buildings, banks or even into a gun show. Now what self
respecting criminal is going to follow those rules?

Actually, the reason they don't want you carrying a loaded handgun into a
gun show is for safety reasons. There are a lot of guns being handled and
it's more likely that someone could get shot accidentally while looking over
a loaded weapon. I have had people hand me their loaded pistols for
inspection without first clearing them, thousands of times. Just imagine
handing your loaded gun to someone who immediately starts dry firing it.
Wouldn't they be surprised? It happens...

Mike

Peter Nolan wrote in message <663shu$j...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...
#Do they mean that you have to declare your CCW gun too? Then unload it
#and carry it around with a cable tie through the breech until you
#leave. Then outside the show, take the cable tie out, load and

lefty

Dec 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/4/97

unload it in your car most shows will not hold ammo for you
I usually put in an empty clip and cock it
as soon as I get past the door the plastic goes

mwj...@pacifier.com

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

On 4 Dec 1997 11:47:23 -0500, Blob <rfl...@flash.net> wrote:

#Peter Nolan wrote:
##
## G'day,
## I am going to a gun show this weekend and the thought suddenly struck
## me.
## When entering a gunshow, what is meant by "all weapons are to be
## unloaded and checked before entering." Does this include CCW guns?

#That's the practice everywhere I've been (MD, TX, AZ). The principle
#seems to be "Absolutely NO loaded weapons at the show."
#Happy Shopping!
#
#Bob
#
#--
#Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

# --Benjamin Franklin
#

This is the practice in Oregon as well. General concensus seams to be
that guns for sale or not are safest for all when unloaded and
strapped through the breech. I have entered with both revolver which
they watched me unload and drop ammo in my pocket as well as semi-auto
which they watched while I dropped mag, racked round from chamber and
put single round back into mag before slipping in my pocket. Never
been asked to leave ammo outside, simply not to carry load weapon,
concealed or not.
Mike