I got the bullet unstuck!

Clark Magnuson

Jun 5, 2001, 8:49:36 PM6/5/01
Today I was shooting a 38 Special with 125 gr JSP, 1.475", and H110:
13 gr wimpy
14 gr ok
15 gr squib and bullet STUCK!
I had been using wimpy primers with H110:(

I took a 38 Special case and drilled out the primer pocket.
I sharpened up the case mouth with a chamfering tool.
I put the case in a loading press and rammed the case into a plastic
over powder wad.
The wad was .1" thick and it cookie cuttered.
I popped the wad out through the drilled hole.
I poured oil down the barrel
I put the wad in the forcing cone and pounded it in.
I cut 2" pieces of pencil on the table saw.
I pounded the pencil in the bore with the flat of a chisel held
perpendicular to the axis of the bore.
I held the chisel rear and the pounded close to the pencil.
The bullet came out of the muzzle and oil poured on my foot.
Clark

You can learn about rec.guns at http://doubletap.cs.umd.edu/rec.guns

G.

Jun 6, 2001, 8:11:21 AM6/6/01
Clark Magnuson wrote:
#
[...]
# Sounds like an awful lot of trouble to me, simply take a wooden dowel rod approximately the dia of the bore. Insert the dowel into the bore from the muzzle end and pound the bullet out with a hammer.
G.

Ragnar

Jun 6, 2001, 8:13:36 AM6/6/01
"Clark Magnuson" <cmag...@home.com> wrote in message

[...]

Gee, I just use a wooden dowell and a hammer to get mine out. Too bad I
don't have the creativity to use all that equipment ;)

Steve

Jun 7, 2001, 11:03:15 AM6/7/01
Clark Magnuson wrote:

Seems like, for some reason, you believed it was important
to have the bullet exit the muzzle end rather than though the
forcing cone, and hence, the requirement for the rather
elaborate solution.
I'm curious what led you to conclude that it was important
to drive it out of the muzzle end.
Many years ago, I read somewhere that H110 was a real
bad choice for light loads, so I stayed away from using
it like that. Having said that, it strikes me as odd that a
..38 special case with more than 4-5 grains of ANY powder
would leave the bullet in the barrel, unless something else
was wrong.

Cheers
Steve

Robert Maxwell

Jun 7, 2001, 11:12:22 AM6/7/01
# Gee, I just use a wooden dowell and a hammer to get mine out. Too bad I
# don't have the creativity to use all that equipment ;)
#

A little liquid wrench down the muzzle makes the bullet much easier to drive
out.

Robert

Noah...@webtv.net

Jun 7, 2001, 11:26:30 AM6/7/01
If you have a drill press available. it is easier on the gun if you use
it as an arbor press to push out the bullet with a wooden dowel, instead
of hammering it out.

You would be amazed at how easy that it works.

Clark Magnuson

Jun 8, 2001, 6:57:08 AM6/8/01

Steve wrote:

# I'm curious what led you to conclude that it was important
# to drive it out of the muzzle end.

The nose of bullet was protruding from the muzzle.
Clark

Ralph Mowery

Jun 8, 2001, 7:00:47 AM6/8/01
I didnot see the origional post so may be missing something.

H110 and the equivilent Winchester 296 should not be loaded under the
book values. Smokeless powder burns faster under pressure. You can
pore it out and light it and it will burn slowly. More like the
sparklers. If a small ammount of slow burning powder is put in a case
it can burn slowly and not provide much pushing power, especially if the
bullet is not crimped in the case very tight.

Steve wrote:
#
# Many years ago, I read somewhere that H110 was a real
# bad choice for light loads, so I stayed away from using
# it like that. Having said that, it strikes me as odd that a
# ..38 special case with more than 4-5 grains of ANY powder
# would leave the bullet in the barrel, unless something else
# was wrong.
#
#

Clark Magnuson

Jun 8, 2001, 7:57:12 PM6/8/01
You can view the entire thread on the internet at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=317582d885f4e2e7,8&seekm=9fl6pg%24g3q%241%40xring.cs.umd.edu#p

Or you can view the entire thread in news groups setting your browser to
Click on "view" at the top of the page.
pull down to "sort".
slide right to "by thread"

The load work up with 125 gr JSP Speer, 1.475" OAL, H110 was, standard
primer, serious crimp into cannelure:

13 gr wimpy
14 gr ok
15 gr squib and bullet STUCK!

remove bullet and switch to WSPM primers
16 gr ok
17 gr OK
18 gr OK!
19 gr STOP

The background for the work up was
1) "Speer Ten" 1979 6" 38 Special, 125 gr JHP, mag primer, 10.5 gr
H110, 892 fps, <18.9kcup, and 11.9 gr H110, 1020 fps, <22.4kcup
2) "Midway Loadmap 357 mag" 1999, 10", Speer 125 gr JSP, 1.575", 17 gr
H110, 1603 fps, 23.6kpsi, and 19.4 gr H110, 1823 fps, 35kpsi
3) "Hodgdon 2000 basic reloaders manual" 10", 125 gr HDY XTP, 22 gr
H110, 1966 fps, 41.4kcup
Clark