HELP!! need .22 bird shot magnum

hdjim69

Jan 26, 2008, 8:06:19 PM1/26/08
Hello,
I have a problem with a small flying squirrel on my roof - he's
chewing the sh_t out of it !! Since he's on my roof I can't shoot him
with anything that will put a hole in my roof :) so I've been trying
to shoot him with .22 bird shot. Problem is, it's not powerful enough
to cycle the action in my rifle (or handgun) and I guess it's not
powerful enough to hurt him at the distance he is from me. So I'm
wondering if there is a magnum .22 bird shot that will cycle the
action of my guns??

Yes...I've tried to trap him....he won't to in the trap...
Yes...I've tried all kinds of bait...

Thx

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory "Predator" AR-15 accuracy rig while
supporting our RKBA. Details at http://www.myguns.net

icnfixthat

Jan 27, 2008, 7:46:45 AM1/27/08
On Jan 26, 4:06 pm, hdjim69 <hdji...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Use rat poison. Lokks like bird seed.

Natman

Jan 27, 2008, 7:46:46 AM1/27/08

#
#Yes...I've tried to trap him....he won't to in the trap...
#Yes...I've tried all kinds of bait...
#
#Thx
#
#J
#
Is your rifle a 22 Long Rifle or a 22 Magnum? The two are NOT
interchangable.

Neither will cycle the action of a semiauto.

In either case, bird shot fired out of a rifled barrel will have an
effective range of about 10 **feet**. The rifling causes the shot
charge to spin and dissipate rapidly.

Ralph Mowery

Jan 27, 2008, 7:46:48 AM1/27/08

"hdjim69" <hdj...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
# Hello,
# I have a problem with a small flying squirrel on my roof - he's
# chewing the sh_t out of it !! Since he's on my roof I can't shoot him
# with anything that will put a hole in my roof :) so I've been trying
# to shoot him with .22 bird shot. Problem is, it's not powerful enough
# to cycle the action in my rifle (or handgun) and I guess it's not
# powerful enough to hurt him at the distance he is from me. So I'm
# wondering if there is a magnum .22 bird shot that will cycle the
# action of my guns??
#
# Yes...I've tried to trap him....he won't to in the trap...
# Yes...I've tried all kinds of bait...
#
#

If he is more than about 10 feet away forget anything in the 22 or 22 mag
birdshot. A pellet gun is about the smallest thing you can shoot at a
squirrl at any distance that will not put a hole in the roof. Even with that
you will probably need to get up there and put some roofing cement on if it
is a shingle roof.

Allan Matthews

Jan 27, 2008, 7:46:50 AM1/27/08
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:06:19 +0000 (UTC), hdjim69
<hdj...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I use a .44 magnum cartridge, loaded with a shot capsule filled with
thirty feet but will not damage roof shingles

derek sollows

Jan 27, 2008, 7:46:57 AM1/27/08
hdjim69 wrote:
how about a cat?

my experience with .22 (LR) shot cartridges is similar to your own.
rotten patterns, very unpredictable. The target critter would have to
be close enough to club with your butt - so you might as well use a
baseball bat.

I've never run into a .22 magnum shot cartridge - but what the heck do I
know? Someone has probably done it.

Are you chambered for .22 magnum ?? It would be unusual to find both
long and pistol semis chambered that way in an average guncabinet.

Why not move down until you are firing across the planar slope and
'snipe' the little guy with a bullet?

Dennis Mickey

Jan 27, 2008, 7:47:00 AM1/27/08
CCI does make a .22 Magnum version of their shot load. Unless you have a
.22 Magnum it will not help you any as the .22 Magmum will not chamber in a
.22 LR gun.

BillM

Jan 27, 2008, 7:47:09 AM1/27/08

[...]

Not quite sure what you are looking for. You want birdshot
in 22 magnum caliber?
CCI makes it, PN 0025. It's #12 at 1000 fps, not any faster
than the 22 LR stuff, just more shot.

Or do you want higher powered 22 long rifle birdshot? I
don't know of any, although
the old crimped brass style of birdshot always had a lot
more hitting power than the
stuff with the shot in a capsule for me. None of the
birdshot would cycle the action
on a semi-auto.

What I ended up using for critters in "sensitive" areas was
a pump up 22 caliber
pellet gun. 3 or 4 pumps was usually enough to whack a
pigeon with a head shot
but not even dent the inside of a metal roof. 10 pumps was
about as powerful as a
22 short.

Pumper Hinkle

Jan 27, 2008, 7:47:13 AM1/27/08
You didn't mention the range but assume it is under 20 yds. How about a
scoped airgun? Many of the modern barrel cocking airguns are quite
accurate and hard hitting. With a scope and some practice you should be
able to shoot the nibs out of a playing card at 20 yds. Of course it could
damage the roof, but then, you won't be hitting anything but squirrel.
Right?

chasw

Jan 27, 2008, 7:47:23 AM1/27/08
J: My favorite squirrel medicine is an RWS air rifle, model 48, .22
caliber, side cocking lever. It produces fine accuracy at about 850 fps,
more than enough to dispatch squirrels cleanly. It sports an RWS brand
scope 3-9X40mm that focuses down to about 15 ft. Pin point accuracy and far
more effective than .22 mag birdshot. - CW
____________________________

"hdjim69" <hdj...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
# Hello,

# I have a problem with a small flying squirrel on my roof - he's
# chewing the sh_t out of it !! Since he's on my roof I can't shoot him
# with anything that will put a hole in my roof :) so I've been trying
# to shoot him with .22 bird shot. Problem is, it's not powerful enough
# to cycle the action in my rifle (or handgun) and I guess it's not
# powerful enough to hurt him at the distance he is from me. So I'm
# wondering if there is a magnum .22 bird shot that will cycle the

# action of my guns??
#

snip

George

Jan 27, 2008, 7:47:25 AM1/27/08
#From the CCI web site:
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=0025

"Sometimes you need your rimfire shootin' iron to act like a shotgun. We
have you covered. Our shotshells hold a charge of small lead pellets in a
special plastic capsule. Designed for short range pest control to about 15
feet. Not designed to cycle semi-auto firearms, but can be manually cycled
in most semi-autos. "

George in Las Vegas

Del

Jan 27, 2008, 7:47:29 AM1/27/08
If the micro menace is really worth slaying, buy or borrow some kids
pellet rifle.
One of those "10pump" types is more than enough for most squirrels
around the house.
Good for burning fanny's on nighttime trash prowlers too.
Probably the best $10 at a yardsale I ever spent.

Del

hdjim69

Jan 27, 2008, 2:00:47 PM1/27/08
#>Is your rifle a 22 Long Rifle or a 22 Magnum? The two are NOT interchangable

Damn...I have a .22 LR. My roof is shingled. He's about 20ft from
me. He's fast as hell. I have a scoped 22 but flying squirrels are
nocturnal so he only comes out at night and even thou I have a
flashlight taped to the barrel, there is still not enough light to see
him thru the scope. And I only have a fraction of a second to sight
in on him before he's gone.

I've tried poison but he won't eat it. This is a real problem for me.
He' doing considerable damage to the side of my house!!

I have 2 22 rifles and a handgun. One of my rifles is a bolt-action
Ruger, the other is a semi-action Tarus. The Ruger has a scope and no
iron sights on the barrel so if I remove the scope I still won't be
able to sight him in. The Tarus is semiauto and has sights but jams
with birdshot. I hate Tarus!! It uses a plunger to cycle to
action.

These pellet guns, are the semi auto rapid fire? He moves fast so
I'll need to keep pulling the trigger - spray & pray...

Thx for all your replies...

nick hull

Jan 27, 2008, 2:00:53 PM1/27/08
In article <fngleb$bjp$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>,
hdjim69 <hdj...@hotmail.com> wrote:

# Yes...I've tried to trap him....he won't to in the trap...
# Yes...I've tried all kinds of bait...

What bait are you using? I've had no trouble trapping squirrels ;)

.

Airman Thunderbird

Jan 27, 2008, 2:00:55 PM1/27/08
I've had good luck on rooftop squirrels with CB caps. Need something
bigger for cats, though. :)

derek sollows wrote:
# hdjim69 wrote:
# > ...
# how about a cat?
#
# my experience with .22 (LR) shot cartridges is similar to your own.
# rotten patterns, very unpredictable. The target critter would have to
# be close enough to club with your butt - so you might as well use a
# baseball bat.
#
# I've never run into a .22 magnum shot cartridge - but what the heck do I
# know? Someone has probably done it.
#
# Are you chambered for .22 magnum ?? It would be unusual to find both
# long and pistol semis chambered that way in an average guncabinet.
#
# Why not move down until you are firing across the planar slope and
# 'snipe' the little guy with a bullet?
#

Allan Matthews

Jan 27, 2008, 2:00:57 PM1/27/08
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:46:50 +0000 (UTC), Allan Matthews
<amatt...@stny.rr.com> wrote:

Don't know what happened to my first post. I use .44 magmun
cartridge, shot capsule loaded with #9 shot, 5 gr of Bullseye in a
rifle. Kills squirrels at 25-30 feet but will not damage roof
shingles.

SaPeIsMa

Jan 27, 2008, 2:01:02 PM1/27/08

"hdjim69" <hdj...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
# Hello,
# I have a problem with a small flying squirrel on my roof - he's
# chewing the sh_t out of it !! Since he's on my roof I can't shoot him
# with anything that will put a hole in my roof :) so I've been trying
# to shoot him with .22 bird shot. Problem is, it's not powerful enough
# to cycle the action in my rifle (or handgun) and I guess it's not
# powerful enough to hurt him at the distance he is from me. So I'm
# wondering if there is a magnum .22 bird shot that will cycle the
# action of my guns??
#
# Yes...I've tried to trap him....he won't to in the trap...
# Yes...I've tried all kinds of bait...
#

Get a good slingshot
A few dings with that will discourage him from returning

We had a similar problem with a "Wisconsin" woodpecker, who had problems
differentiating our TV antenna from a tree
He loved showing up at the crack of dawn to see if there was anything edible
inside our antenna post
Took us a few years to figure out how to get rid of him
Trouble is that apparently his offspring have picked up his confusion
between trees and metal antennas

Thomas Reynolds

Jan 27, 2008, 2:01:13 PM1/27/08

"George" <gk...@cox.net> wrote in message
# #From the CCI web site:
# http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=0025
#
# "Sometimes you need your rimfire shootin' iron to act like a shotgun. We
# have you covered. Our shotshells hold a charge of small lead pellets in a
# special plastic capsule. Designed for short range pest control to about 15
# feet. Not designed to cycle semi-auto firearms, but can be manually cycled
# in most semi-autos. "
#
# George in Las Vegas
Interesting; both 22 mag and 22 long rifle.

Offbreed

Jan 27, 2008, 2:01:15 PM1/27/08
hdjim69 wrote:
# Yes...I've tried to trap him....he won't to in the trap...
# Yes...I've tried all kinds of bait...

I cannot help you with guns because the only time I've shot such a
varmint, I used a .22 CB cap.

I'd say stick with the traps, guns put holes where you don't want them.
Even CB caps.

It sounds like you are talking about the live traps or a box trap of
some sort. Those are hardly worth bothering with, IMO. Squirrels are
really dumb, but they have sharp senses, and any stink that throws them
off will keep them out. Maybe the trap you tried was used for rats or
weasels?

Plastic 5 gallon bucket, about 6 inches of water in the bottom, drop in
a small, red apple or a red rubber ball, pour in a slug of apple cider.

You might need to prep him with a couple of slices of apple.

Rat traps and peanut butter work okay, too.

chasw

Jan 27, 2008, 2:01:20 PM1/27/08
Year of owning cats in close proximity to squirrel habitat has taught me
that cats generally don't kill the larger, common gray squirrels. Our
current cat, a spayed female, is an avid hunter of birds and rats, but she
is very wary of mixing it up with an adult gray squirrel. The squirrels
seem to know it and will brazenly run right past her, barking and making
threat displays at her. She sometimes makes half hearted rushes, but always
pulls up short to avoid actual contact. Previous cats we've owned displayed
similar behavior. The best medicine is a .22 caliber air rifle. - CW

"derek sollows" <dsol...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

# hdjim69 wrote:
# > ...
# how about a cat?
#

#snip

Zombywoof

Jan 27, 2008, 2:01:37 PM1/27/08
<hdj...@hotmail.com> wrote:

#Hello,
#I have a problem with a small flying squirrel on my roof - he's
#chewing the sh_t out of it !! Since he's on my roof I can't shoot him
#with anything that will put a hole in my roof :) so I've been trying
#to shoot him with .22 bird shot. Problem is, it's not powerful enough
#to cycle the action in my rifle (or handgun) and I guess it's not
#powerful enough to hurt him at the distance he is from me. So I'm
#wondering if there is a magnum .22 bird shot that will cycle the
#action of my guns??
#

#Yes...I've tried to trap him....he won't to in the trap...
#Yes...I've tried all kinds of bait...
#
If you can't trap him, Poison him if you have no other critters about
you want to keep. Otherwise you aren't going to have much luck with a
shot not going astray.
#
That or send me airfare for Felix the Killer Cat. Beast brings homes
squirrel's, bunnies & even the occasional small coon. Cat is a freak
of nature born of feral parents & semi-domesticated by me. Who owns
who still is a point of contention.
--

"Fight to your last cartridge, then fight with your bayonets.
No surrender. Fight to the death." -- General Henri Guisan

Thomas Reynolds

Jan 27, 2008, 6:11:07 PM1/27/08

"hdjim69" <hdj...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
# Hello,
# I have a problem with a small flying squirrel on my roof - he's
# chewing the sh_t out of it !! Since he's on my roof I can't shoot him
# with anything that will put a hole in my roof :) so I've been trying
# to shoot him with .22 bird shot. Problem is, it's not powerful enough
# to cycle the action in my rifle (or handgun) and I guess it's not
# powerful enough to hurt him at the distance he is from me. So I'm
# wondering if there is a magnum .22 bird shot that will cycle the
# action of my guns??
CCI make a 22 magnum shot cartridge. Cycle the unit by hand is all.
However, flying squirrels are prey to owls, so a plastic owl mounted nearby
may cause him to move out of the neighborhood. Snakes eat them too so a
plastic snake placed on the roof might discourage one. Since they are
small, cats hunt them to, so a neighbors cat might enjoy the opportunity for
a meal.

Thomas Reynolds

Jan 27, 2008, 6:11:08 PM1/27/08

"SaPeIsMa" <SaPe...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
#
# "hdjim69" <hdj...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
# news:fngleb$bjp$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu...
# # Hello,
# # I have a problem with a small flying squirrel on my roof - he's
# # chewing the sh_t out of it !! Since he's on my roof I can't shoot him
# # with anything that will put a hole in my roof :) so I've been trying
# # to shoot him with .22 bird shot. Problem is, it's not powerful enough
# # to cycle the action in my rifle (or handgun) and I guess it's not
# # powerful enough to hurt him at the distance he is from me. So I'm
# # wondering if there is a magnum .22 bird shot that will cycle the
# # action of my guns??

# #
# # Yes...I've tried to trap him....he won't to in the trap...
# # Yes...I've tried all kinds of bait...
# #
#
#

# Get a good slingshot
# A few dings with that will discourage him from returning
#
# We had a similar problem with a "Wisconsin" woodpecker, who had problems
# differentiating our TV antenna from a tree
# He loved showing up at the crack of dawn to see if there was anything
# edible
# inside our antenna post
# Took us a few years to figure out how to get rid of him
# Trouble is that apparently his offspring have picked up his confusion
# between trees and metal antennas
That is a mating call thing they do to make a lot of noise.

Pumper Hinkle

Jan 27, 2008, 6:11:10 PM1/27/08
Hmmm. I understand your problem better now. For the squirrel to be
chewing on your roof, though, he must be sitting still for at least a
little bit.

I believe that if it were happening to me, I'd get a night vision scope for
the bolt-action .22 and sight it in using BB caps. I'd then set up a
sniper position and be patient. Once it stands still, bang.

Or, well, you could get a .410 shotgun and some light loads, and figguring
on patching the roof maybe.

Or, I believe you can fire .45 colt cartridges in a .410 shotgun, and I
believe you can get .45 snake loads.

As you've observed, the .22 snakeloads don't cycle in autos, and the rifling
disperses the shot too much. I believe I once heard of a smoothbore .22,
which would give better range.

But I assume you don't want to buy another gun, especially some sort of
specialty gun. So, back to first suggestion, night vision scope on the
.22.

Good hunting!

SaPeIsMa

Jan 27, 2008, 10:49:03 PM1/27/08

"Thomas Reynolds" <tom.re...@verizon.net> wrote in message
#
# "SaPeIsMa" <SaPe...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
# news:fnikde$tc$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu...
# #

# # "hdjim69" <hdj...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
# # news:fngleb$bjp$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu...
# # # Hello,
# # # I have a problem with a small flying squirrel on my roof - he's
# # # chewing the sh_t out of it !! Since he's on my roof I can't shoot him
# # # with anything that will put a hole in my roof :) so I've been trying
# # # to shoot him with .22 bird shot. Problem is, it's not powerful enough
# # # to cycle the action in my rifle (or handgun) and I guess it's not
# # # powerful enough to hurt him at the distance he is from me. So I'm
# # # wondering if there is a magnum .22 bird shot that will cycle the
# # # action of my guns??
# # #
[...]

Well, by the time I and my slingshot were done with him, he was done mating
too...

Jim

Jan 27, 2008, 10:49:08 PM1/27/08

Soak some pop corn a overnight or until some what soft in anti-freeze,
place it on your roof, problem solved. Also works well on rats or rats
with wings more correctly named pigeons.

nick hull

Jan 28, 2008, 9:43:06 AM1/28/08
In article <fnjjbk$a29$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>,
Jim <zivend...@yahoo.com> wrote:

# Soak some pop corn a overnight or until some what soft in anti-freeze,
# place it on your roof, problem solved. Also works well on rats or rats
# with wings more correctly named pigeons.

On rats CocaCola and other sweet carbonated drinks work well on rats,
the carbonation kills them because they cannot burp. Should work on
tree rats as well. Try leaving a SMALL amount out for them to develop a
taste. I don't think it will kill cats or dogs.

.

nick hull

Jan 28, 2008, 9:43:04 AM1/28/08
In article <fnikd7$t7$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>,
Airman Thunderbird <airman...@gmail.com> wrote:

# I've had good luck on rooftop squirrels with CB caps. Need something
# bigger for cats, though. :)

CBs will kill a cat instantly if you hit in the right place.

.

Jim Bianchi

Jan 28, 2008, 7:06:07 PM1/28/08
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:46:57 +0000 (UTC), derek sollows wrote:
# hdjim69 wrote:
# > ...
# how about a cat?

Where can you find a cat that will stand still for being loaded into
a .22 casing, let alone being shot out of one? [grin]

--
ji...@sonic.net

Gunny_2007

Jan 28, 2008, 7:06:12 PM1/28/08

# Jim <zivend...@yahoo.com> wrote:
#
# # Soak some pop corn a overnight or until some what soft in anti-freeze,
# # place it on your roof, problem solved. Also works well on rats or rats
# # with wings more correctly named pigeons.
#
# On rats CocaCola and other sweet carbonated drinks work well on rats,
# the carbonation kills them because they cannot burp.

I know that's just Urban Legend because I worked for one that swilled the
stuff for years and boy could he belch.

hdjim69

Jan 30, 2008, 7:12:23 AM1/30/08
#> Or, well, you could get a .410 shotgun and some light loads
I have a 410 but it would damage my roof with standard off the shelve
loads. Do they make a light load in 410? or is this something only
hand loaders make?

If there is a light load out there I would give it a try.

Thx

Eddie

Feb 1, 2008, 7:17:05 AM2/1/08
On Jan 26, 8:06 pm, hdjim69 <hdji...@hotmail.com> wrote:

just break down and get a 12 gauge with number 8 bird shot. it will
not penatrate the shingles and if it doesn't kill the squirrel I can
garantee you that he will not be back.