shipping handgun ammo USPS

BudE

May 14, 2009, 1:47:58 PM5/14/09
Can someone direct me to a site that gives the regulations. USPS website
has been no help.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory .308 Titan Carbine and defend liberty at the
same time - Donate to MPFO today! Details at http://myguns.net

Harvey Scobie

May 14, 2009, 7:48:43 PM5/14/09
As far as I know NO explosives may be shipped via USPS. Check your local
post office (in the USA)

Bert Hyman

May 14, 2009, 7:48:45 PM5/14/09
In news:guhlgd$sbm$1...@news.albasani.net "BudE" <bude...@msn.com> wrote:

# Can someone direct me to a site that gives the regulations. USPS
# website has been no help.
#

My reading of USPS Publication 52 "Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable
Mail" says that you can't ship ammunition by mail.

341.21 Nonmailable Explosives

c. Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive, depending on the degree of
hazard. Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and
designed to be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun,
as well as associated primers and blank cartridges (including
those designed for tools) and propellant powder for use in any
firearm, is prohibited from mailing.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_016.htm

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

Don Bruder

May 14, 2009, 7:48:50 PM5/14/09
In article <guhlgd$sbm$1...@news.albasani.net>, "BudE" <bude...@msn.com>
wrote:

# Can someone direct me to a site that gives the regulations. USPS website
# has been no help.

As a *VERY* general rule, if it's

- more flammable than paper
- more corrosive than orange juice
- radioactive
- intended to explode or burn in normal use
- prone to exploding or burning as a side-effect of mishandling
- likely to turn into a puddle of nasty goo and dribble on other mail

then mailing it is at least disallowed (As in "Nope, sorry, you can't
mail that. NEXT!") if not outright illegal (As in "You're under arrest.
You have the right to remain silent...")

Mind you, that's not "official" policy, or even a casual statement by a
USPS "person in authority" - it just seems to be a pretty good
distillation of all the "You can't mail this" information I've
encountered over the years.

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me

Larry The Snake Guy

May 14, 2009, 7:48:49 PM5/14/09
Verboten. See page 19. (Yes, they're not very helpful about making
definitive info easily available, but my recollection is that it's
illegal under federal law rather than just a USPS regulation.)

www.usps.com/customersguide/_pdf/DMM100.pdf

UPS, used to accept ammo from individuals under certain circumstances
and last I heard it was still legal, but I don't know about their
policies of late. (I think it's been discussed here fairly recently
though.)

One hint to help in deciphering some of the regs that may be
confusing: The word "mailable" refers specifically to sending
something through the US Mail. If something is "not mailable", that
doesn't necessarily mean it's not "shippable". The USPS "mails". UPS
"ships".

Jim

May 14, 2009, 7:48:52 PM5/14/09
Generally speaking, ammo can't be shipped USPS. Check back with USPS.gov
under Mailability by Hazard Class, section 341.1x.

CH

From: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm100/sending.htm
Keep the Mail Safe: Hazardous and Restricted Materials
Some things cannot be mailed or can be mailed only in small quantities for
safety and legal reasons. Some items have restrictions on how they can be
mailed, including:

a.. Aerosol cans
b.. Firearms
c.. Flammable materials
d.. Liquids and powders
e.. Lottery Tickets
f.. Poisons
Some items, however, are not permitted in the mail, including:

a.. Alcoholic beverages
b.. Ammunition
c.. Drug paraphernalia
d.. Fireworks and other explosives
Call 1�800�ASK�USPS or visit your Post Office if you have questions about
the item you want to mail.

Bill Marrs

May 14, 2009, 7:48:57 PM5/14/09

"BudE" <bude...@msn.com> wrote in message
# Can someone direct me to a site that gives the regulations. USPS website
# has been no help.

Probably because you can't ship loaded ammo USPS. Empty unprimed cases or
just the bullets is OK. No primers, powder, primed cases or loaded ammo.

UPS will ship ammo. You have to ship it from a hub---UPS store won't do it.
Must be labeled
ORM-D.

I'm assuming you are not a FFL or manufacturer---slightly different regs for
them.

Jim

May 14, 2009, 7:48:55 PM5/14/09
Sorry, It's prohibited. See Publication 52, para 341.21c
http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/pubs/Pub52/pub52.pdf

Blueh...@aol.com

May 14, 2009, 7:48:59 PM5/14/09
Although technically it's legal to ship ammo by US mail you normally
won't find a Postmaster that will allow it.
UPS will ship your ammo for you with no HazMat charges and it requires
an "ORMD small arms ammuntion" sticker. Contact me privately and I
will send you the image you can print out and attach to your package.
The only real requirement ( other than ORMD labeling ) is the strength
of the outside package you use to ship your ammo in.
Be sure it's an actual UPS office...some of the smaller contract
shippers for UPS won't accept ammo shipments. Call and ask first!

Tom S.

May 14, 2009, 11:13:28 PM5/14/09

"BudE" <bude...@msn.com> wrote in message
# Can someone direct me to a site that gives the regulations. USPS website
# has been no help.

The only one's who will ship ammo is UPS.

Also, it must ship from a hub, not one of the UPS Stores in a strip mall.

Call them and they'll explain it to you.

Tom S.

May 14, 2009, 11:13:29 PM5/14/09

"Bill Marrs" <bill...@verizon.net> wrote in message
#
# "BudE" <bude...@msn.com> wrote in message
# news:guhlgd$sbm$1...@news.albasani.net...
# # Can someone direct me to a site that gives the regulations. USPS website
# # has been no help.
#
#
# Probably because you can't ship loaded ammo USPS. Empty unprimed cases or
# just the bullets is OK. No primers, powder, primed cases or loaded ammo.
#
# UPS will ship ammo. You have to ship it from a hub---UPS store won't do it.
# Must be labeled
# ORM-D.

Yes, exactly. The limit is something like 68 lbs.

A year ago I shipped 1000 rounds of 40 S&W to daughter at college and it cost
$16 or so. It still beat the price of store-bought ammo.

#
# I'm assuming you are not a FFL or manufacturer---slightly different regs for
# them.

I think those regs are Fed gub'mint, not UPS.

Natman

May 15, 2009, 10:04:34 AM5/15/09
On Thu, 14 May 2009 23:48:59 +0000 (UTC), Blueh...@aol.com wrote:

#Although technically it's legal to ship ammo by US mail you normally
#won't find a Postmaster that will allow it.
#UPS will ship your ammo for you with no HazMat charges and it requires
#an "ORMD small arms ammuntion" sticker. Contact me privately and I
#will send you the image you can print out and attach to your package.
#The only real requirement ( other than ORMD labeling ) is the strength
#of the outside package you use to ship your ammo in.
#Be sure it's an actual UPS office...some of the smaller contract
#shippers for UPS won't accept ammo shipments. Call and ask first!
#
#
USPS regulations specifically forbid mailing ammunition.

UPS will ship ammo under the conditions you describe.

Mike Bott

May 15, 2009, 10:04:36 AM5/15/09
Tom S. wrote:
#
# Yes, exactly. The limit is something like 68 lbs.
#
# A year ago I shipped 1000 rounds of 40 S&W to daughter at college and it cost
# $16 or so. It still beat the price of store-bought ammo.

<snip>

The limit would apply to a "package" and not the "shipmemnt". I
routinely ship multiple packages of ammo to agencies well in excess of
68 lbs ... or whatever the limit is.

--
Mike

Larry Gathright

May 15, 2009, 10:04:38 AM5/15/09
I ship ammo at the UPS counter at the local hardware store. The UPS
driver told me that the weight limit is 150 lbs. I have shipped packages
up to 80 lbs with no problems.

RB

May 15, 2009, 10:04:41 AM5/15/09
Tom S. wrote:

# A year ago I shipped 1000 rounds of 40 S&W to daughter at college

LOL Now that's pretty cool.
How many fathers can say that?

slate_leeper

May 15, 2009, 10:04:39 AM5/15/09
On Thu, 14 May 2009 17:47:58 +0000 (UTC), "BudE" <bude...@msn.com>
wrote:

#Can someone direct me to a site that gives the regulations. USPS website
#has been no help.
#

I know people who have shipped ammo using the USPS "flat rate" boxes.
Schedule pickup at your house, as your own mail carrier is unlikely to
grill you about the contents.

-dan z-

Jim

May 15, 2009, 5:58:37 PM5/15/09
"slate_leeper" <bycy...@spamex.com> wrote in message

#

# I know people who have shipped ammo using the USPS "flat rate" boxes.

# Schedule pickup at your house, as your own mail carrier is unlikely to
# grill you about the contents.

No thanks, not worth the risk of prosecution.

Blueh...@aol.com

May 16, 2009, 9:17:53 AM5/16/09

Natman <nat_m...@yahoo.com> wrote:

" USPS regulations specifically forbid mailing ammunition. "

Read and you will see why I said it's "technically legal" to ship by
USPS!

According to UPS, shipping ammunition is allowed, but there are some
stipulations. The stipulations are not put in place by UPS, but
instead, by the Department of Transportation. The D.O.T. has a
classification called Title 49 CFR that spells out the details. We
have summarized those details for you specific to shipping ammunition.
FedEx has the same requirements, but also wants you to include a
�Shippers Declaration for Dangerous Goods� form which is on their site
if you do a search for �Dangerous Goods Forms�.

The USPS follows the D.O.T. requirements but in talking to some of the
USPS locations, the managers stated they would not accept the packages
anyway in this day and age, so we recommend only using UPS or FedEx to
ship ammo.

Title 49 CFR states in Chapter 1, section 173.63 the packaging
exceptions to full regulation. Under that section, (b) Cartridges,
small arms, may be reclassed, and offered for transportation, and
transported as ORM�D material when packaged in accordance with
paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from
the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) of part 172 of this
subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that
may be shipped as ORM�D material is limited to:

Under this �limited to� section, there is item (i) Ammunition for
rifle, pistol or shotgun; and (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm
(50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge
for shot shells.

This is the critical part to shipping ammunition. If it is 50 caliber
or less, or 8 gauge or less, UPS will take the shipment in a sturdy
box marked with a ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms label on the outside
of the box. UPS does recommend using this label as opposed to a
regular ORM-D label from our research and inquiries to UPS themselves.
Part 172, subchapter E states the label should be affixed near the
shipping address location on the package. By placing it here, the
carrier will see it as they direct the package to the correct location
during shipment.

Now, under section 173.115, part (v) it states that cartridges, and 22
caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside
packaging. The label marking is the same as above.

There have been a lot of questions about Hazardous Material training
for shipping ORM-D materials. This is a true fact. UPS or any other
carrier does not require training. It is required by the D.O.T. and is
listed under section 172.74 were the training can be performed by
yourself and all you need to have is a documented record of the
following:

Hazmat employee name
Training date
Copy of the training materials
Name and address of person providing training (This can be yourself)
A certificate showing the employee is trained. (This can be made in
house)
A description of the training is found at hazmat.dot.gov on the
Internet without the www and click on rules and regulations. The key
part of the in house training is you don�t have to pay someone to
train you. Just read this section and put together the emergency
contacts, and procedures in case there is a issue. Easy stuff. With
that, anyone can ship ammunition with ease, and the correct way.

Key resources for this ammunition shipping guideline included UPS
through their hazardous materials department at 800-554-9964, FedEx
800.463.3339 through Dangerous Goods, USPS local locations and the
Department of Transportation Classification division at 800-467-4922
and the Office of Hazardous Materials Safety on line at hazmat.dot.gov
were all the documentation is listed. Knowing how to ship ammunition
or ammo the correct way is important. Please pass this information on.

Natman

May 16, 2009, 4:47:04 PM5/16/09
OK, so far as UPS is concerned.

#The USPS follows the D.O.T. requirements but in talking to some of the
#USPS locations, the managers stated they would not accept the packages
#anyway in this day and age, so we recommend only using UPS or FedEx to
#ship ammo.
#
I have no idea where you got this idea, but USPS regulations are VERY
specific:

Page 150 of

Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail
January 2008

http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/pubs/Pub52/pub52.pdf

Cartridges, small arms ORM-D Prohibited

Blueh...@aol.com

May 17, 2009, 7:28:59 AM5/17/09
On May 16, 1:47�pm, Natman <nat_m...@yahoo.com> wrote:
# OK, so far as UPS is concerned.
#
# #The USPS follows the D.O.T. requirements but in talking to some of the
# #USPS locations, the managers stated they would not accept the packages
# #anyway in this day and age, so we recommend only using UPS or FedEx to
# #ship ammo.
# #

# I have no idea where you got this idea, but USPS regulations are VERY
# specific:
#
# Page 150 of
#
# Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail
# January 2008
#
# http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/pubs/Pub52/pub52.pdf
#
# Cartridges, small arms ORM-D Prohibited

Nat that is their REGULATION but they also come under DOT regulations,
The USPS is not an selfgoverning entity, although I'm sure they would
like to think they are. They can say and print anything they want
until shoved and proven wrong...just like years ago when they would
swear up and down it took an FFL license to ship a long gun until it
was pointed out to them by the ATF that private individuals could in
fact ship rifles and shotguns w/o a license under certain
circumstances.
Even UPS offices have posters up at many of their shipping depots that
say ammuntion shipping is forbidden and they won't ship it...mine does
BUT they will ship it anyway!!!!!
The thing to do is not argue with me but to study the law and DOT
regulations then take it up with the Post Master General in Wash DC.

Natman

May 17, 2009, 8:24:27 PM5/17/09
The regulations are clear and obvious. You can't mail ammo.

You can tap dance around it all you want, but that's not going to
change.

H. Adam Stevens

May 24, 2009, 8:13:49 AM5/24/09
USPS no.
But UPS recently delivered 8 pounds of WW296 (with appropriate hazmat
paperwork).
Cheers!

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net

Last call to win a Fulton Armory .308 Titan Carbine and defend
liberty at the same time! Details at http://myguns.net