Load for .223

Ken Strayhorn Jr.

Jul 26, 1993, 7:55:27 PM7/26/93

Howdy gang
Has anyone out in net land got a good load for .223 using
the Sierra 69-gr. HPBT and Win 748 powder? This combo was recommended
to me by a good friend who is now out of the country and I don't
remember what powder load he used. I intend to use in in an AR-15
with the 1/7 twist barrel.
Thanks! Email or post to the net, whichever you prefer.

Also: All North Carolina gunowners who read this and are
interested in being on a listserv to get info on upcoming matches,
legislation, gun shows, etc, please drop me a line.

Ken Strayhorn
k...@acpub.duke.edu
Disclaimer: Duke doesn't I exist

Bart Bobbitt

Jul 27, 1993, 5:06:44 PM7/27/93
I think IMR4895 will produce better accuracy than WW748. Nobody has
consistantly shot great groups/scores with ball powder in highpower
competition. Although ball powder meters more uniformly by weight
than extruded powder, the exact charge weight is not all that important.
Primer make and lot have a greater effect of velocity uniformity than
exact-weight powder charges. And there is strong evidence that when
ball powder is used, it takes longer for the bullet to get out of the
barrel; a detriment to off-the-shoulder accuracy.

BB

Ken Strayhorn Jr.

Jul 28, 1993, 5:46:50 PM7/28/93

In article <CAtvz...@fc.hp.com> ba...@hpfcla.fc.hp.com (Bart Bobbitt) writes:
#I think IMR4895 will produce better accuracy than WW748. Nobody has
#consistantly shot great groups/scores with ball powder in highpower
#competition. Although ball powder meters more uniformly by weight
#
#

Well, I'll try anything. What load do you use for 69-gr HPBTs in
a 1/7 barrel, AR-15?

And, once again, let me renew my call to any North Carolina
readers - post to me if you wish to be part of a mail list
here in NC - show dates, legislative matters, help in finding
a range, etc. All are welcome.

Ken Strayhorn
k...@acpub.duke.edu
Disclaimer: Duke doesn't know I exist.