Rose grafting on apple stock?

Ed and Joan Conn

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
OK, here's a question I hope doesn't divert the general theme and
downward direction of this group too much. A *knowledgable* nursery
expert told me that roses could be grafted onto apple tree stock. Ever
since I heard that, my imagination has run amok with the thought of
having every on of our favorite rose buddies on one plant!! What a
concept. Would kinda be hard to shovel prune, or move this "rose bush",
but think about how cool it would be! Can this really be done? Has
anybody ever tried it? Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt some of the
discussions going on here.

Ed-Orygun
Joan-Oregon

Bugman

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
to ele...@pioneer.net
*******************

Personally I like Ed's name for his state as it is one word but
CacaMacko came up with another one that could do in a pinch. But, if you
feel offended, I can change it.

Apparently some people think that people like Luther Burbank may have
done it and in the process introduced viruses into roses. I have never
tied it but maybe Malcolm Manners has. Maybe I'll ask him or he might
read this thread first. It will be interesting what he has to say.

A few years ago I taught my 4H kids how to bud roses. As an experiment
we used a rose that I didn't care too much and we budded different
varieties to it. Most of them took and I kept them on for a couple of
years as it was fun to see other rosarians come to my house and tell me
that I had all kinds of sports on on of my roses! Then one winter, I
forgot to tell my family about that rose and all the branches that had
the buds got pruned away! Maybe I should have done that at ground level?

Baldo Villegas, Orangevale, CA: USDA Zone 8/9
Entomologist/ARS Consulting Rosarian
E-Mail: Ros...@JPS.Net
Home Page: <A HREF="http://www.jps.net/rosebug/">
Sacramento RS: <A HREF="http://www.GeoCities.com/RainForest/6142/">
Sierra Foothills RS: <A
HREF="http://www.GeoCities.com/RainForest/Vines/4825/">

mon_t...@hotmail.com

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
Isn't it true that roses and apples are in the same family? hmmmmmm this is
cool.
Phill
In article <35E025CA...@pioneer.net>,

--
Phill- can you hear the music of the wind in your garden?
http://members.tripod.com/~mon_tillier/index.html

PetRose

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Ed and Joan Conn <ele...@pioneer.net> wrote:

"A *knowledgable* nursery expert told me that roses could be grafted onto apple
tree stock."

True. And there is a school of thought that prior experiments along this line
resulted in the introduction of Apple Mosaic Virus into roses.

lms

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <6rq9u1$1fu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, mon_t...@hotmail.com says...

>Isn't it true that roses and apples are in the same family? hmmmmmm this is
>cool.
>Phill

yeah, and cherries and pears and potentilla and quince, to name a few mo.
I grow this tiny little bush--so far--called Euphrates, got it from
House of Old Garden Roses, it's a Hulthemia x Rose seedling. Hulthemia is
obviously another close ally of the rose. :)
I have it growing in a 3 gallon pot, I'm afraid to put it in the ground,
tho I know in my heart that's what I should do. I just don't want the
grasshoppers to eat it. They like it.
Maybe next year it will bloom--I saw some blooming at Sequoia Nurseries,
it's pale salmon red, has the characteristic dark eye. Small
flaures, very interesting. A little bigger than a potentilla heheh, as
in killa.

mon_t...@hotmail.com

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <6rsclp$9tv$1...@chaos.aoc.nrao.edu>,

***Mackela, Thanks for the info! It is amazing how far reaching the results
can be when we play Mother/Father Nature. I had no idea that the Apple
Mosiac Virus got started in roses this way. I remember somewhere in the dim
recesses of what used to be my mind being told not to plant roses close to
apples.

--
Phill- can you hear the music of the wind in your garden?
http://members.tripod.com/~mon_tillier/ind

william S. Hillman

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <6rsn9s$s47$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, mon_t...@hotmail.com says...

> In article <6rsclp$9tv$1...@chaos.aoc.nrao.edu>,
> xte...@aoc.nrao.edu (lms) wrote:
> > In article <6rq9u1$1fu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, mon_t...@hotmail.com says...
> > >
> > >Isn't it true that roses and apples are in the same family? hmmmmmm this is
> > >cool.
> > >Phill
> >
> > yeah, and cherries and pears and potentilla and quince, to name a few mo.
> > I grow this tiny little bush--so far--called Euphrates, got it from
> > House of Old Garden Roses, it's a Hulthemia x Rose seedling. Hulthemia is
> > obviously another close ally of the rose. :)
> > I have it growing in a 3 gallon pot, I'm afraid to put it in the ground,
> > tho I know in my heart that's what I should do. I just don't want the
> > grasshoppers to eat it. They like it.
> > Maybe next year it will bloom--I saw some blooming at Sequoia Nurseries,
> > it's pale salmon red, has the characteristic dark eye. Small
> > flaures, very interesting. A little bigger than a potentilla heheh, as
> > in killa.

> ***Mackela, Thanks for the info! It is amazing how far reaching the results
> can be when we play Mother/Father Nature. I had no idea that the Apple
> Mosiac Virus got started in roses this way. I remember somewhere in the dim
> recesses of what used to be my mind being told not to plant roses close to
> apples.

Another no no with apples and roses is if refrigerating roses for shows there
should be NO apples in there at all. The gases from ripening apples will turn
the roses brown or at least discolor them. Best to have a roses only fridge
anyway as saves a lot of problems. I now have lost my two old rose fridges
to my wife's over flow of food from the kitchen fridge. But sure is handy
when hosting a party.

Bill

Bugman

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
to MMMavocado
MMMavocado wrote:

> Ok, several comments here.
>
> 1. I'm sure many people have TRIED to graft roses to apples (and the reverse),
> at many times through history. But as far as I can determine, there is no
> documented case of such a plant surviving and growing. The theory (and it is
> just that -- no hard evidence) about how mosaic viruses got into roses is the
> following:
> a. Someone realized apples (and/or peaches, plums, cherries) are in the rose
> family, so they tried budding one of those fruits onto a rose rootstock.
>
> b. The bud very likely died. The person then rebudded that rootstock with a
> rose bud. Even though the fruit tree bud died, it transferred its virus
> infection to the rootstock first.
>
> This resulted in the first virus-infected rose. NOTE THAT THIS IS ALL
> HYPOTHETICAL. We have no proof that it actually happened. But it makes sense.
>
> One of the tests for mosaic in a rose is to bud it to a 'Shirofugen' flowering
> cherry tree, and watch to see if the union produces a bleeding sore with dead
> tissue, where the bud was inserted. Whether or not the bud was infected, it
> has been my understanding that the rose bud NEVER survives. So apparently,
> roses are not graft-compatible with 'Shirofugen'.
>
> 2. Within the rose family, there are several subfamilies. There are some known
> cases of successful grafts between genera within a subfamily, e.g., pear
> (Pyrus) on quince (Cydonia) or loquat (Eriobotria). But I've never heard of a
> successful graft between different subfamilies. Roses are in the same
> subfamily as brambles (Rubus -- raspberry, blackberry, dewberry, etc.), and
> strawberry. Even there, I've never heard of a successful graft between, say, a
> rose and a blackberry; and that is FAR more likely to work than rose on apple,
> where different subfamilies are involved.
>
> In any case, please don't get the idea that mosaic disease in an apple tree
> could spread to your roses just because they're planted nearby. It requires an
> actual graft union for such a transfer. Thousands, perhaps millions, of people
> grow roses and apples near each other. There is not a single known case of
> contagion having ever occurred, between them.
>
> Malcolm M. Manners, Ph.D.
> Chairman, Department of
> Citrus and Environmental Horticulture
> Florida Southern College, Lakeland, FL
> Visit my website: http://members.aol.com/mmmavocado/MMMspage.html
******************
Hey Malcolm:
Thanks for all the info. I sure learn from you everytime you post
information like this.

LemonElf

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
This apples v. roses stuff is news to me and now I'm worried because I planted
a couple of dwarf apples nearby some roses. How far apart do they need to be?
Whew-- I'm glad I didn't espalier those apples into a back fence for the
central bed. Is apple mosaic virus THE ROSE VIRUS or just another mosaic
virus that affects roses?

MMMavocado

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

mon_t...@hotmail.com

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <MPG.104ba1fdc...@news.mindspring.com>,

*** Ha! I am learning way too much......brain over load! <G> I am so glad
that you posted this. Never would have dreamed this one. Not rose related,
but you did mention your tomato plant. A really easy way to help tomatoes
set fruit is to place a few apple wedges under the plant. The methane gas
released will have that effect on the tomatoes. The methane gas that I
release after Holy Frijoles does not, but it sure plays hell on them
skeeters! <G>

--
Phill-http://members.tripod.com/~mon_tillier/index.html
proud charter member of the BLH. JDPUO!!!

Colette Tremblay

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
(huge snip)

A really easy way to help tomatoes
> set fruit is to place a few apple wedges under the plant. The methane gas
> released will have that effect on the tomatoes. The methane gas that I
> release after Holy Frijoles does not, but it sure plays hell on them
> skeeters! <G>

Isn't it ** ethylene ** gas? (that released by apple, of course...)

Colette
Quebec Canada
zone 4b

Henry Kuska

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Roy Shepherd did such a graft. The following article appeared in the
1960 Canadian Rose Annual pages 69-70. Of interest are the several crosses
of roses with other members of the Rosaceae family. For educational use
only. This copy was made with a scanner. It is possible that critical
errors could have been introduced. Please obtain a copy of the original
before utilizing in experiments. Although the crosses at that time were
sterile, it is possible that with modern techniques such as chromosone
doubling fertile plants could be made.
Hybridizing Limitations
by Roy E. Shepherd, Medina, Ohio
It is somewhat difficult to realize that the Rose family (Rosaceae)
contains approximately 100 widely distributed and diversified genera of
trees, shrubs and herbs. It includes among others, and in addition to roses,
such well known and dissimilar subjects as the Spirea, Blackberry,
Raspberry, Plum, Peach, Apple and Strawberry. Modern botanists have
attempted to place a few of these in other families or to establish entirely
new ones, but their endeavors have not been universally accepted.
Plant breeders have also made numerous attempts to cross different
genera of the family in the hope that distinct and valuable plants may
result, but nothing of great importance has been produced. Improvement
within a genus has been accomplished, however, by crossing one member with
another and to these endeavors we must credit the great variety of apples,
roses, etc., that we grow to-day.
There is considerable evidence to support the thought that Nature has
created several inter-genera hybrids in the past, but man's accomplishments
in this field have been comparatively few. Many persons believe that the
nectarine, for example, resulted from a man made cross of the peach and the
plum, but it is more probable that it is a sport, or mutation, of the peach
as nectarine seeds often produce peach trees and vice versa.
Although several members of the Rose family have genital organs of
similar anatomy Nature has established certain laws that prevent their
inter-breeding. Were it not for these restrictions we might have a
conglomerated assortment of freak plant material with little practical or
esthetic value. On the other hand, there are many combinations that could
give us something worth while if they could be effected. Perhaps, however,
we should be satisfied with the rose as we now enjoy it, and not anticipate
an apple tree bearing rose blossoms or a rose bush on which the blooms were
followed by large luscious peaches. In all seriousness though there is a
distinct possibility that science may eventually find means of effecting
crosses that have failed previously, and inter-genera crosses within the
Rosaceae group may become a reality. They should at least be interesting.
The writer has succeeded in budding a rose on to an apple branch and in
crossing a rose with a member of the blackberry family, but the bud remained
dormant and the seeds did not germinate. Dr. J. H. Nicolas, formerly
Research Director for Jackson and Perkins, was more successful as he raised
three seedlings of a cross between an apple and a rose. They were similar to
the latter in general appearance but showed evidence of apple influence in
the bark, foliage, and in the peculiarly colored double apple-like blossoms.
The latter, incidentally, were somewhat similar to those produced by
Bechtels Crab but not as well formed or as large. The plants were barely
remontant and after blooming they were inactive until fall when a second
spurt took place. Further experience with Rose x Apple and Rose x Hawthorn
crosses gave similar results and all proved to be sterile. They were
therefore valueless for use as parents in further breeding along this line.
Yes, Nature is quite insistent that man does not make 'hash' of her
children, and perhaps we should be content with the beautiful supply of
plant material she has given us. The ever-present challenge to create plants
that are distinct from all others is so great, and intriguing, that man will
probably continue to attempt crosses that now seem almost impossible; and
who can say that he will not eventually succeed? Unfortunately plants have a
tendency to transmit undesirable characteristics more readily than they do
the desirable ones, and these hoped for inter-genera hybrids would probably
produce blooms and fruits of inferior quality.
Insofar as roses themselves are concerned we still possess considerable
unexplored possibilities within the genus. There are 333 somewhat distinct
species of roses recorded in Modem Roses V, and but eight of these have
contributed to the major types of garden roses. Surely the other 325 have
some potential and this should undoubtedly be explored before we spend time
on intergenera exploration.

--
Henry Kuska, retired
ku...@neo.lrun.com

MMMavocado

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
I note that the Roy Shepherd article says the bud remained dormant. That
indicates that it did NOT form a workable graft union, and I would count his
case as a failure, rather than a success, at grafting. One can put a bud of
almost anything into a rootstock of almost anything else (completely unrelated
plants), and if the scion stays moist and "comfy," it may stay green and
healthy looking for quite some time. But it won't ever grow out to become a
plant. It seems that this is exactly what Shepherd's plant did.

Malcolm

Ann Mansker

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
mon_t...@hotmail.com wrote:
:
: *** Ha! I am learning way too much......brain over load! <G> I am so glad

: that you posted this. Never would have dreamed this one. Not rose related,
: but you did mention your tomato plant. A really easy way to help

tomatoes
: set fruit is to place a few apple wedges under the plant. The methane
gas
: released will have that effect on the tomatoes. The methane gas that I
: release after Holy Frijoles does not, but it sure plays hell on them
: skeeters! <G>

Heh, you may be a methane producer, but apples and other ripening fruits
aren't -- they give off ethylene.

Ann M.

Ed and Joan Conn

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

mon_t...@hotmail.com wrote:

> *** Ha! I am learning way too much......brain over load! <G> I am so glad
> that you posted this. Never would have dreamed this one. Not rose related,
> but you did mention your tomato plant. A really easy way to help tomatoes
> set fruit is to place a few apple wedges under the plant. The methane gas
> released will have that effect on the tomatoes. The methane gas that I
> release after Holy Frijoles does not, but it sure plays hell on them
> skeeters! <G>
>

> --
> Phill-http://members.tripod.com/~mon_tillier/index.html
> proud charter member of the BLH. JDPUO!!!

BillI was wondering if you also knew why red roses will turn blue if putting in the
fridge before a show? Thank you for letting us know about apples and roses.

Joan
ele...@pioneer.net

Bill

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <35E2E453...@pioneer.net>, ele...@pioneer.net says...
Joan, Some reds just don't like the fridge at all. But the main cause if
the cold dry air removing the substance from the petals and this will effect
all colors but just not as visible. Lots of views on which is best, a old
type non frost free or the modern frost free. Really makes no difference as
both dry the air with the frost free moving more air and may cause more
damage. In any event the roses HAVE to be isolated from the air in the
fridge in their own tanks like I used or at least have the blooms covered .
The full tanks is best as then the foliage is not dried out either. To low a
temperature can also blue the reds. With isolated air and temperature set to
33 I could keep most varieties including most reds up to a week and some
much longer. The normal controls on a fridge are not accurate enough to set
to 33 with out dipping into the freezing area so will have to experiment
with a fridge to see the lowest it can be set with out freezing the roses. I
had an old 1935 Crosley (still have it and still runs) that varied over a 6
degree swing and not good enough to store roses for more a few days. So
bypassed the built in thermostat and built up one using a commercial
thermostat that keeps the swing to 2 degrees. So keeping to 33 has a low of
32 and a high of 34. I had another old GE thats own thermostat kept to a 3
degree swing and worked fine. I used a indoor/outdoor thermometer on them so
could check the temperatures with out opening the doors. Have to remember
that the frost on the fridges coils comes from two places, the air that gets
in when opening and the contents and that is the roses if in the same air as
the coils, but when using tanks or even plastic covers over a 5 gallon can
sealed to the can with big rubber bands the air around the roses stays moist
and the rose keep much longer and no loss of substance for at least a week.
When I exhibited Chrysler Imperial was our biggest winner in the red class
and it will blue easily if not protected. Olympiad is now probably the
easiest red to keep. It keeps even in the house cut for long periods compared
to other reds. I still have my original Chrysler that won us many queens and
other trophies over the years I exhibited. Never had any trouble in the
fridge with it.
Exhibitors with florists fridges have it a bit easier as the whole interior
is isolated from the coils so no problems with roses drying out and bluing.
But they are very expensive and big.

Bill in Alhambra Calif.
whil...@mindspring.com
10:18:22 am 8/25/1998

ku...@neo.lrun.com

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <199808251515...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
I was replying to the question asked in the original post "Has anybody ever
tried it?"

MMMavocado

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
You're right -- you didn't say the graft grew, just that he'd done it. Sorry
for the misinterpretation. There have been rumors of others trying it AND
being successful (rose on apple -- the rose grew and bloomed), but such rumors
seem always to be rather mysterious and hazy -- kind of like those articles
that end up on the cover of the National Enquirer. ;-) I've never seen any
real evidence of such a graft having actually grown into a viable rose bush.

Malcolm

lms

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <199808260051...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, lemo...@aol.com
says...

>Boy, Phill, you're sure loose as a goose on rgr -- quite a different style than
>yr old aol persona. I think it's a positive change btw.
>I don't know if my post to this thread ever made it onto rgr or not as I seem
>to always miss some of the posts when I try to follow a thread over time-- Is
>it a really bad idea to planting apple trees and roses in the same general
>vicinity? How far apart should they be?

I have thousands upon thousands of apples that not only fall all around
but on top of roses and for awhile, when the time is ripe, the whole
area's totally permeated with the smell of apple cider vinegar, apples
purposefully left rotting in roseholes. When I water them, I play this little
game, see how many days it takes to penetrate the skin of the apples with the
spray of the hose. You have to do something to keep your mind occupied.
The odor passes more quickly when I mow and splatter the roses.
The tree paranoia virus must be spreading, I can't figure it.
Bumper crop this year, apples. Bumper.

So a pos change for double l Phill there eh? You make him sound either
challenged or villainous, I can't figure out which.
Maybe there just ain't much for Phill over there in the minor leagues.

LemonElf

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Boy, Phill, you're sure loose as a goose on rgr -- quite a different style than
yr old aol persona. I think it's a positive change btw.
I don't know if my post to this thread ever made it onto rgr or not as I seem
to always miss some of the posts when I try to follow a thread over time-- Is
it a really bad idea to planting apple trees and roses in the same general
vicinity? How far apart should they be? It seems like the gas that the apples
emit is the problem and not the threat of mosaic virus. My apple trees were
only planted this spring so they have not set any fruit yet. I do have some
roses nearby, and I'm wondering if the apple trees should be in a completely
different part of my yard -- how far away if it's imperative that they be
moved? Thanks -- candace/coastal so. CA

LemonElf

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Mack: are you trying to tell me I shouldn't worry about where my apples and
roses are planted? I just finished reading "THe House at Pooh Corner" to my
younger son this evening, and Pooh Bear's poems sound a lot like some of your
posts! As for Phill being challenged or villainous, you don't really want to go
into any aol war stories, do you? Yeah, right! -- candace

mon_t...@hotmail.com

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <6s04en$7...@pdrn.zippo.com>,

lms wrote:
> In article <199808260051...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, lemo...@aol.com
> says...
> >
> >Boy, Phill, you're sure loose as a goose on rgr -- quite a different style
than
> >yr old aol persona. I think it's a positive change btw.
> >I don't know if my post to this thread ever made it onto rgr or not as I seem
> >to always miss some of the posts when I try to follow a thread over time-- Is
> >it a really bad idea to planting apple trees and roses in the same general
> >vicinity? How far apart should they be?

Candace, you surely must miss posts. It has been hashed and re-hashed, but
here goes. I stated that I remembered reading that you should not plant
roses near apples. Dr. Manners posted that the Apple Mosaic Virus will not
spread from Apples, Apple Trees, or Apple Tree litter. So it is fine, ok?

> I have thousands upon thousands of apples that not only fall all around
> but on top of roses and for awhile, when the time is ripe, the whole
> area's totally permeated with the smell of apple cider vinegar, apples
> purposefully left rotting in roseholes. When I water them, I play this little
> game, see how many days it takes to penetrate the skin of the apples with the
> spray of the hose. You have to do something to keep your mind occupied.
> The odor passes more quickly when I mow and splatter the roses.
> The tree paranoia virus must be spreading, I can't figure it.
> Bumper crop this year, apples. Bumper.
>
> So a pos change for double l Phill there eh? You make him sound either
> challenged or villainous, I can't figure out which.
> Maybe there just ain't much for Phill over there in the minor leagues.

***Heh heh heh, major league huh, Mack? Well, as my old AOL buddies will
tell you, there is not much about me that qualifies for the major league. I
can hold my own in the floral design department, (big surprise there, huh?),
and that is about it. I left AOL because I feel that it is over priced,
provides inadequate service, and because The rose board there became a social
calendar for the estrogen rockettes rather than a rose board. I was getting
caught in the middle of a desire to learn about roses and my cyber
"friendships". Don't let LemonElf-used to be PattReck- get you too
intrigued. I am starting to wonder if she has two faces to go with those two
names? <G>

lm_s

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <199808260733...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, lemo...@aol.com
says...

>Mack: are you trying to tell me I shouldn't worry about where my apples and
>roses are planted?

Yes, Candace. I believe there was just a post to this very effect.
But even if there isn't, I'd still scoff at the apples. Lemmesee here,
Nicole, 2 Moyesiis, Primula, Sexy Rexy, 3 Gallicas, L'Aimant and Persian
Yellow, which is now particularly weedsome and green, much to my delight--
next year, this row will be three years old, for the greatest part, and last
nite, I kid you not, as I was standing there munching on my Red Delicious
oardurve, which came from like a very big unit?, I daydreamed about next
spring and how cool these guys are gonna be. Put it this way: my
Tricolore des Flandres, I'd be just delighted to show it to Susan, from whence
it came. Know what I mean?
And there are three other apple trees over there too, so...
And then there are two more over a ways--Granny and a YD basically grow on
top of X-Rated, Southern Delight, Hot Tamale and now Cl. Rainbows End,
which now occupies the hole once owned by Souv. de la Malmaison, but one
day I just got hacked off at that old hag cause I was tired of seeing balled
blumen, so on a day that it was 106 I dug it up and moved it. Now I thot
there would actually be leaves on it again by now, but no such luck. Cl
Rainbows, oooh, I like the way it's growing!! Now I do have some roses over
there that realllllly suck, for the most part, but all I have to do is look at
Moonlight, which goes nuts even in quite a bit of shade and gets regularly
pelted with falling apples. To tell me what's what, I mean.

I just finished reading "THe House at Pooh Corner" to my
>younger son this evening, and Pooh Bear's poems sound a lot like some of your
>posts!

So you read them, Candace, that's what you're saying?
I never read Winnie the Pooh, but I like that song, what is it?

As for Phill being challenged or villainous, you don't really want to go
>into any aol war stories, do you? Yeah, right! -- candace

ok, I gotcha. That's cool. Haven't seen that side of him. heheh

Henry Kuska

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
I would suggest that if one was interested in trying to grow a rose on an
apple rootstock that they try an "approach" graft in which two young plants
are put in contact at a wound along their stems and tied together. When a
union forms one would then cut off the top of the apple part above the union
and also cut off the rose part below the union. I do not know if it would
be better to first remove the top growth and then wait till the plant has
adjusted to the shock before doing the second or to do the removal of the
rose root system first. Any comments?

Silvirado

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Phil wrote,
I left AOL because it

>provides inadequate service, and because The rose board there became a social
>calendar for the estrogen rockettes rather than a rose board.

You always had a way with words, Phil!

> I left AOL because I feel that it is over priced,

>provides inadequate service.

I've been on AOL so my kids can use the kids only web ect. but now that Disney
has some kid netware coming out, I'm soon to be oughta there too.

phill_burnett

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <199808270213...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, lemo...@aol.com
says...

>Phill: drop the subject of aol already! That was the point of my post to Mack
>-- you needn't read double meanings into it. Relax and breathe, Phill.
>-- candace
***You brought it up dear.
Phill-breathing fine. JDPUO

Regina

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <6s0t7c$u9e$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, mon_t...@hotmail.com
wrote:

>In article <6s04en$7...@pdrn.zippo.com>,
> lms wrote:

>> In article <199808260051...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
>> lemo...@aol.com says...
>> >
>> >Boy, Phill, you're sure loose as a goose on rgr -- quite a
>> >different style than yr old aol persona. I think it's a

>> >positive change btw. [snip]

>> So a pos change for double l Phill there eh? You make him
>> sound either challenged or villainous, I can't figure out
>> which. Maybe there just ain't much for Phill over there
>> in the minor leagues.

>***Heh heh heh, major league huh, Mack? Well, as my old AOL
>buddies will tell you, there is not much about me that qualifies
>for the major league. I can hold my own in the floral design
>department, (big surprise there, huh?),

Gotta sense of humor and plenty of strength of character. Those
are definitely good. :-)

>and that is about it. I left AOL because I feel that it is
>over priced, provides inadequate service, and because The

>rose board there became a social calendar for the estrogen
>rockettes rather than a rose board.

Hahahaha. See what I mean about that sense of humor?
Spose those rockettes will be reaching for their throwing
rocks now? They *can* take a joke, can't they??

>I was getting caught in the middle of a desire to learn
>about roses and my cyber "friendships". Don't let LemonElf-
>used to be PattReck- get you too intrigued.

Oh, but I am. I wasn't, but I am, not about your aol
persona, but about what trouble will be gathering around
you next. Yay Phill. Go Phill. :-)

>I am starting to wonder if she has two faces to go with
>those two names? <G>

Interesting query, but I suspect that whatever leads you to
that musing is not found in this particular post.

then,

In article <199808270213...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
lemo...@aol.com replies:

>Phill: drop the subject of aol already!

Wait a sec. Just a few posts ago, in the "Why am I getting
4 ft canes on hybrid tea roses?" thread you said:

>Because it's having a growth spurt! My roses and my kids
>all look a lot bigger than they did a couple weeks ago.
>Some of these things you just have to figure out yourself!
>I'm tired of this thread! -- candace

Well kewlest. Just quit reading it.
It's eeeeassy - you merely hit *delete*.

>That was the point of my post to Mack

>you needn't read double meanings into it.

geeez, bossy -- Telling Phill what to think...

>Relax and breathe, Phill.

hey, relax and breathe, candace.

Regina

lms

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
hey man, there's just a lotta weird sheeeeit goin on here, things
happening so fast, so many diff threads, I just have to sit back and listen,
get a little ejication.
I will say, got a big laff outa bl*ck and bl*e roses. :) never seen it
put like that, was great.
And I just read Petrose's comment, which basically reaffirmed my first
impression. And beyond that--major league, yeah. The worldwide thing,
man. I thot that from before the time rgr existed. I licked my chops with
anticipation at the thot of such a thing. I stuffed the ballot box when
we voted. It's been so many things. betty betty good, usually not so hot.
Now I know this response may seem mo disjointed than usual, but in trying
to respond to yadda yadda yadda, this is the best I can do.
As for you people in you past lives, I don't have a clue. And now there's
a female heheh with lots of names, this sends my little brain spinning.
Great stuff.
People afraid of a little firestorm, huuuuuh. Today's Steel.

LemonElf

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98

PetRose

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
mon_t...@hotmail.com wrote:

"Well, as my old AOL buddies will tell you, there is not much about me that
qualifies for the major league. I can hold my own in the floral design

department, (big surprise there, huh?), and that is about it."

Speaking as one of Phill's genuine AOL buddies I can tell you that he is a
major leaguer when it comes to roses

Bill

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <6s2v59$7...@pdrn.zippo.com>, lms says...
m, might be a good time to go into lurk mode and watch then destroy each
other. Getting hard to tell the trolls from the real newbies that are looking
for information.

phill_burnett

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <199808270556...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, pet...@aol.com
says...
***Thank you Mr. Martin. And I would like to state that the reason I came to
this board when I left AOL was because I refuse to loose the wealth of
information afforded me by my correspondance with you and Dr. Malcolm Manners.
Phill Burnett- charter member of the BLH.......JDPUO
PhillB...@netscape.net
mon_t...@hotmail.com

LemonElf

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Really, I asssumed that long "eqyptian black roses" post was a fiction when I
read it and that it was pretty funny, but so dry as to be an SCTV
rec.gardens.roses takeoff. I've never been able to figure out who's really who
here anyways! Some people always are dependably who they are and others seem
capable of infinite transformations, but it is the internet afterall, right?
I'm sure there are a few novels/screenplays being written about this very thing
(I know of one novel sparked by aol flamewars ). Maybe Brent is writing one of
those and it's distracting him from finishing his "real" book? Maybe he
concocted that "black rose" post? Or, PetRose....I mean, you never know.
People create such pure, 3-dimensional personas with the style of their posts,
and then, when you meet them in person it's such a surprise! THere's a lot of
creativity floating around out there and not all of it finding expression in
the marketplace -- I'm not surprised it's surfacing on the internet. What a
show! I don't follow any tv shows myself, but it's certainly
delightful/educational/intriguing/horrifying/stupefyingyaddayaddayadda to check
in here --- plus almost any question I've ever asked has been answered by
SOMEBODY (unlike aol) and posters bring up all kinds of things re roses (and
everything else) that wouldn't even cross my mind and a lot of it is
fascinating or at least informative and some of it's horrifying or stupefying
(sounds like everything else I love doing like gardening, career, raising my
kids or being married LOL). Plus some people I just simply relish reading
whatever they write cause they have a gift for it, even if it's about rose
genetics (well, I do skim thru most of those actually). I mean-- I hope
there's some people with multiple identities out there -- doesn't the medium
demand it? How do we know that some of the dum-dums aren't the very ones who
are totally incensed? That would be too much for me to juggle, but there's got
to be some artists of the internet operating here LOL -- candace

Susan

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
Henry Kuska wrote:

> I would suggest that if one was interested in trying to grow a rose on an
> apple rootstock that they try an "approach" graft in which two young plants
> are put in contact at a wound along their stems and tied together. When a
> union forms one would then cut off the top of the apple part above the union
> and also cut off the rose part below the union. I do not know if it would
> be better to first remove the top growth and then wait till the plant has
> adjusted to the shock before doing the second or to do the removal of the
> rose root system first. Any comments?

Isn't this cross species grafting how we got apple mosaic virus in
roses? Is this then a good thing to try?

--
Susan Ford
Norman, Oklahoma, USDA Zone 7a