re; baldo on mosaic

TLIG...@concentric.net

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
-----Original Message-----
From: bugman <bug...@concentric.net>
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.roses
To: TLIG...@concentric.net <TLIG...@concentric.net>
Date: Friday, July 17, 1998 10:29 PM
Subject: Re: Rose Mosaic: Is there a cure for it?

>TLIG...@CONCENTRIC.NET wrote:
>> >Well, Malcolm, then you had better speak with the folks at Davis!
Because
>> some years ago they reported to the group at the innaugural meeting of a
>> California rose plant grower's association meeing at Davis that virus DID
in
>> fact spontaneously reappear. AND said plants were in an screened,
isolated
>> green house, to boot!
>> I know what I heard that day at Davis, and other people in that audience
>> heard it, too.
>>
>> Who's wrong here? I really do not know. I just know that the rose
industry
>> in this country is in a real mess, in more ways than one. How sad; Dr.
Huey,
>> Captain Thomas and Clyde Stocking must surely be spinning in their
graves!

>> I've said my piece and I will say no more here on this subject. Perhaps
I've
>> even said a bit too much, to boot. Rather than be a chicken little who
says
>> that "the sky is falling", I choose to end this by saying that "the
Emperor
>> has no clothes!".
>>
>> Tom Liggett.
>**************************
>Tom:
>How long ago did this meeting at UC Davis took place? Do you remember
>who made the above statements? According to the evidence before us I
>agree with Malcolm about transmission of rose mosaic viruses.
>
>In this newsgroup for instance several prominent contributors have in
>the past given misinformation about rose mosaic virus being transmitted
>by insects such as aphids. They fail to realize that Rose Mosaic is a
>totally different type of virus unrelated to common mosaic viruses such
>as tobacco mosaic virus which is readily transmitted by mechanical
>means.
>--
---
>Baldo Villegas, Orangevale, CA: USDA Zone 8/9
>Entomologist/ARS Consulting Rosarian
>E-Mail: Ros...@JPS.Net
>Home Page: <A HREF="http://www.jps.net/rosebug/">
>Sacramento RS: <A HREF="http://www.GeoCities.com/RainForest/6142/">
>Sierra Foothills RS: <A
>HREF="http://www.GeoCities.com/RainForest/Vines/4825/">
----

Baldo; The "statement" about virus reappearing in indexed stock was made not
that long ago. Others have concured about their having heard that same
statement about virus from that same source. I do not want to get involved
in a "witch hunt" or be shot as a messenger of bad tidings. So,
correspondingly, henceforth I will be a "good
little boy" and shut up about virus.

The final caveat I leave on this subject, however, is that we are not all
"hysterical amateurs" out here; some of us are trained scientists, as well
as the "pro's" !

Remember the Titanic, the Maginot line, the great wall of China and other
momuments to technological hubris. How sad, after 20 years, that we are
still having this pointless
discussion, instead of really DOING something to solve the problem. The
"cure(s)"
for curbing or eliminating virus in roses are very, very elementary in their
techniques, and are right there waiting for us all to implement them.

But, then, talking is cheaper than curing, isn't it? Who wants to bet that
20 years from now, a whole new set of "activist rosarians" will be having
this selfsame discussion about virus, not knowing that another "set" (US!)
got tired and disgusted and just gave up. Remember again, that another group
of rosarians WAS having this discussion 20 years ago. Many of that earlier
group are dead. A lot of the rest of us have pretty much given up on
improving the virus situation.

Maybe that's the whle point, eh; a whole new set of "suckers" is always
coming down the road with their money in their hands!

But, silly me; there is no problem with virus in roses, and the rose
industry
in the U.S. is in great shape. Sigh; the emperor really isn' wearing any
clothes after
all, is he? Again; this is THE LAST that I intend to say this subject.

I remain your friend; Tom Liggett.

Tom Liggett of Liggett's Rose Nursery and The San Jose Heritage Rose Garden
says; "Show me your motherblock!"

ROSEXTC KB

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
Bravo, Tom! For speaking your mind on mosaic virus. I, too, have taken heat
bigtime from certain industry leaders and hybridizers, and have gotten
blacklisted and publicly chastised just for publishing articles about mosaic
virus in my local society bulletin "Rose Ecstasy." One industry speaker at our
meeting had the gall to say, "Mosaic virus is beautiful; it's like variegated
foliage in other plants." In my opinion, mosaic virus in roses is a crying ass
shame that some would try to brainwash us into believing either does not exist,
or is being eliminated, or is okay. Yeah, right.
Kitty Belendez
Santa Clarita, California