`Minette' (Vibert, 1819) Centifolia

Brent Dickerson

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

According to the manuscript of a book which has come under my gaze once
or twice:

MINETTE
(Vibert, 1819)
Centifolia
"Blossom small, full; color, pink edged blush white." (Singer,
*Dictionnaire des Roses*, 1885). "Light pink, medium size, full, average
height." (Sangerhausen Rosarium inventory) "Canes diffuse, jutting out,
glabrous, and smooth; unarmed at the tip; ordinarily bestrewn at their
base with several prickles which are feeble, hooked, and intermingled with
some bristles. Leaves of 5 or 7 leaflets, aside from one or two small ones
which are usually found at the base of the odd one. Petiole cylindrical,
villose, glandulose, often armed beneath with very small hooked prickles.
Leaflets elliptical, obtuse, light green and glabrous above, pale and
villose beneath, crenelate along the edges. Crenelature silky,
non-glandulose. Peduncle glabrous below the bracts, glandulose above.
Ovary oval or ovoid, glabrous. Sepals villose, non-glandulose, terminating
in a foliaceous linear point; three bear at their base several long
incised appendages, which are serrate and glandulose. Flower small or
medium-sized, full, very light pink with pale edges. The look of this
rose, its various characteristics, and (above all) its peduncles which are
glabrous above the bracts make me depart from the usual opinion which
places it among the Provins or Provences." --so says Prevost in 1829,
placing it among the Albas. The author of the manuscript under my eye at
the moment, however, one Mr. Dickerson, sees fit to retain "the usual
opinion" and leave it among the Centifolias and Hybrid Centifolias, as did
nurseries of the 1820's. We hope that Mr. Dickerson knows what he is
doing!

Best Wishes,

--BCD

Marianne Ahrne

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96
to odin...@csulb.edu

odin...@csulb.edu (Brent Dickerson) wrote:

>According to the manuscript of a book which has come under my gaze once
>or twice:
>
>MINETTE
>(Vibert, 1819)
>Centifolia
at
>the moment, however, one Mr. Dickerson, sees fit to retain "the usual
>opinion" and leave it among the Centifolias and Hybrid Centifolias, as did
>nurseries of the 1820's. We hope that Mr. Dickerson knows what he is
>doing!
>
>Best Wishes,
>
>--BCD

Oh no, I don't think I can change again! You see, this rose has a
special meaning for Swedes. It was long thought to be native to
Sweden until it was identified as Minette and classified as an alba.
It even had a Latin name, Rosa suionum. (The "suiones" were our
forefathers, the ancient Svea people of my part of Sweden that gave
their name to the whole country when it was united under their rule.)
It is also called "the Nordic rose". It is hardy all over Sweden,
almost to the tree limit.

Marianne Ahrne
Uppsala, Sweden

Colette Tremblay

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

Ah ah! another roses-and-cats thread! Minette in French is an affectionate
name for a she-cat (the masculine being, of course, minet).

--
Colette Tremblay
Quebec Canada

Purple Tiger z-5/6

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

In article <52rpd0$r...@hatathli.csulb.edu>, odin...@csulb.edu says...

>According to the manuscript of a book which has come under my gaze once
>or twice:
>
>MINETTE
>(Vibert, 1819)
>Centifolia

For those of us in the US (and Canada?) of Swedish Heritage I wish to report
that "Minette" is available from Hardy Roses for the North, as is a second
rose of Scandinavian heritage whose name escapes me. I intend to get one
of them, as a historically accurate rose for the Chelbourg farm, a national
historic site in Northern Indiana settled by Swedish immigrants...

--
Katherine Yngve
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA

helg...@gold.tc.umn.edu

Oct 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/8/96
to Purple Tiger z-5/6

If you remember the other name - could you pass it on to another
scandinavian - I would love to grow both:)

Lois Ann Helgeson
helg...@gold.tc.umn.edu

Colette Tremblay

Oct 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/10/96

In article <325A8A...@gold.tc.umn.edu>, helg...@gold.tc.umn.edu wrote:

(edited)

> > For those of us in the US (and Canada?) of Swedish Heritage I wish to report
> > that "Minette" is available from Hardy Roses for the North, as is a second
> > rose of Scandinavian heritage whose name escapes me. I intend to get one
> > of them, as a historically accurate rose for the Chelbourg farm, a national
> > historic site in Northern Indiana settled by Swedish immigrants...
>

> If you remember the other name - could you pass it on to another
> scandinavian - I would love to grow both:)

*****************The other name is Rosa suionum but it is the same rose as
Minette.