Military Madness Review (finally)

tons...@m.cs.uiuc.edu

Nov 16, 1990, 9:50:00 AM11/16/90

TGX-16 Game Review

Title: Military Madness
Type: Strategy
Platform(s): TGX-16
Price: 54.99

One word describes this game perfectly: Awesome. One word can also describe
the people who play this game: addicts. If anyone has any doubts as to what
game to buy first for the TurboGrafx-16 my recommendation is to get this one
before anything else. I am NOT biased towards strategy games as this
statement would suggest, but I do LOVE this game!

My preferences seem to be towards RPG type games and mindless shooters, but
I consider myself a well rounded gamer (I play just about every type of game
there is). Military Madness is one of the best strategy games I've ever
played. Basically the scenario goes like this: The AXIS empire has built a
super weapon and plans to use it to conquer earth. To save the earth you
must command your forces through sixteen maps until you reach the final
map in which you can capture the weapon and destroy it. The maps are very
easy at first if you are used to strategy games, but even the most experienced
will have trouble with the later ones. Once you finish the first sixteen
scenarios you will see the game ending. You will then be put into the
advanced stages. The advanced stages are another sixteen maps that are
identical to the first sixteen. The only difference here is that both you
and the enemy have better weapons to use very early. The initial positions
of your forces and the AXIS forces are also different.

Graphically, this is not the best of all TGX games but it is excellent
considering that this is a strategy game. Your units are represented as small
icons. When there is combat the game zooms closer to the combat field. The
opposing units are now really detailed and the battle is graphically displayed.
This is a pretty nice effect, since you can see what's going on instead of just
viewing the results of a battle.

The sounds to this game are fair. Pretty much what one would expect from a
strategy game. It'd be unfair to include this in the ratings, so I'll exclude
it this time.

The game play for this game is the BEST! If you like war games you'll love
Military Madness! There are several strategies that you have to learn, besides
how to move your troops. Surround effect, support effect, and other things
that determine the result of an encounter are all vividly explained in the
online manual so that it's easy to get started. To play this game you
basically move your units around the field of battle in an attempt to
wipe out the enemy or capture a factory. Factories can either be neutral,
yours or the enemy's. They usually contain units which you can use if
you control that factory. Factories also repair damaged units. To win the
game you must wipe out all the enemy units or capture their prison camp. Sounds
simple, but with 32 maps to conquer and a fairly decent computer opponent
you'll have many a sleepless night trying to beat this one!

Overall this game is a must get for anyone owning the TGX-16. The playability
is by far the best in any TurboGrafx game so far and it is also one of the more
challenging games. Well worth every penny you spend!

Graphics: 7
Playability: 10
Challenge: 10
Fun Factor: 10
Overall: 10

-Zandos Rhoe
(I apologize to person(s) who requested a review on this some time ago. I had
other reviews I wanted to write so it took me some time to get to this one. As
it is I have to put off writing the SideArms review until later.)

Sun Shin Park

Nov 17, 1990, 1:57:39 PM11/17/90
Yes! I second the motion that Military Madness is the best TG16 game
to date (and yes, I've finished Ys).

I would only add that the sound is encoded in Dolby Surround. If you
don't have a four-speaker dolby surround system, you are missing quite
a bit. I played it for a long time before I hooked it up to my
surround system, and was stunned by the improvement. I also tried out
Axe and Devil's Crush, but unfortunately those did not improve when
hooked up to a dolby decoder.

I've finished Military Madness all the way through twice, and now when
I play I like to let the computer get all the neutral factories so I
can try to hold with only what I started with. Makes it a lot more
challenging! Hopefully Super Daisenryaku will be out (in English)
pretty soon for other Military Madness addicts like myself.

--Neil W.

Thomas Wang

Nov 19, 1990, 4:46:15 PM11/19/90
/ hpcupt1:rec.games.video / sp...@oracle.com (Sun Shin Park) / 10:57 am Nov 17, 1990 /

>Yes! I second the motion that Military Madness is the best TG16 game
>to date (and yes, I've finished Ys).

Would anyone be interested in a Military Madness strategy guide?
This strategy guide should give you the ability to finish all 32 levels.
I won't state the obvious ones, only the powerful ones.

-Thomas Wang
(Everything is an object.)
wa...@hpdmsjlm.cup.hp.com
tho...@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com