Silpheed vs. Starfox

Bryan Carter

Feb 24, 1993, 11:58:35 PM2/24/93
To be blunt, how EGM can get off praising a game mearly from
hype really puts me off in a big way. I was at Winter CES, and
all Sega had of Silpheed was a psudo-playable demo, this demo blew
chunks to but in nicely. Sure it had really cool looking graphics,
but if play responce is anything like in this demo, Sega can forget
this title.
As for Starfox, I played this also, several times! To be blunt,
IT ROCKS! This has got to be hands down the best new SNES game
coming out next to Bubsy Bobcat and Batman Returns. Beleive me, I
plan to be at the store the morning Starfox comes out, cash in hand.

By the way, if anyone out there is looking for a less biased
look at gaming than EGM likes to offer, check out GAME ZERO. It's a
magazine I co-edit. We run a small circulation out of Columbus,
Ohio currently, but offer subscriptions to anyone interested.
Game Zero is bi-monthly and is normally free, so we only charge
you postage if you want a copy/subscription.
For more information, write to:
GAME ZERO
P.O. Box 169
Columbus, Ohio 43216

Mention you heard about it from this post when you write.
Issues are $1.00 each, $6.00 for a years subscription. And if
you want credibility. We were just mention in the January issue
of Turbo Force magazine, which was packaged in with the January
release of EGM.
If you anyone wants more information, send me mail and I'll try
and tell you what I can.

Thanks...

R.I.P.

This is from
r_i...@bluemoon.use.com
who doesn't have his (or her) own obnoxious signature yet

Nathan W Stehle

Feb 26, 1993, 11:13:50 AM2/26/93
In article <c1giZB...@bluemoon.use.com> r_i...@bluemoon.use.com (Bryan Carter) writes:
> To be blunt, how EGM can get off praising a game mearly from
>hype really puts me off in a big way. I was at Winter CES, and
>all Sega had of Silpheed was a psudo-playable demo, this demo blew
>chunks to but in nicely. Sure it had really cool looking graphics,
>but if play responce is anything like in this demo, Sega can forget
>this title.

Well... EGM is hype. And they are prone to do it. In their preview they
rag on Sega for not getting CD's out. But it isn't only Sega's fault, but
third party companies who said they would release games. And if it was only
a demo, how can you say it was good OR bad?

Nathan

Crying Freeman

Feb 26, 1993, 2:33:51 PM2/26/93

>Nathan

The article/preview in EGM was one of those hype the game and show some screen
shots pages that they do. They usually say the game is awesome no matter
what it is... It wasn't a review.
--
Che-Yuan Wang
cw2...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

U59...@uicvm.uic.edu

Feb 26, 1993, 11:55:32 PM2/26/93
There is one big advantage that Starfox has over Silpheed: You don't need a CD
unit to play it. I don't know about other people, but I'm sorta wary about payi
ng $400 for a game system (Genesis +CD). If people didn't mind paying this much
I think NeoGeo would have done a little better. This is no matter how awesome
the games are. A game is a game. No matter how awesome the graphics are, no mat
ter how awesome the sound is, people will get bored of the game after a while.
True some games hold your interest longer than others, but I haven't found a ga
me yet that can justify the $300 is hardware the CD unit goes for.

I know, I know. What about arcade games. Well, personally, I would never buy on
e, but remember with the arcade game you are getting a high quality monitor and
controls as well as the cabinet. Besides I don't know many people that buy new
arcade games.

I think StarFox at $60 is a good game at a reasonable price. True, Silpheed may
have superior graphics. True Silpheed may have better sound and surround sound
, but I'm not going to pay $360 to play this game (I'm assuming Silpheed will c
ost about $60).

Just my $.02 worth.

Thommas

Teh Kao Yang

Feb 27, 1993, 3:21:19 AM2/27/93
In article <93057.225...@uicvm.uic.edu> <U59...@uicvm.uic.edu> writes:
>There is one big advantage that Starfox has over Silpheed: You don't need a CD
>unit to play it. I don't know about other people,but I'm sorta wary about payi

>ng $400 for a game system (Genesis +CD). If people didn't mind paying this much
> I think NeoGeo would have done a little better.

But if Nintendo comes out with Starfox 2 on their $300 SNES CD(for example),
you'd still get it, right? Anyways...

Maybe you should change the way you think about spending money on video
games: if you want to get your money's worth out of any system you will have to
buy quite a few games for it. After a while the amount you spent on the system
will be insignificant compared to the amount you've spent on your games. So
it's actually the price of the individual games that is the determining factor
on how much you will spend on a system. If Neo Geo games cost as much as SNES
and Genesis games, I would have gotten one a long time ago. And that's why
even though the 3DO may cost a bundle, people will still get it since its
games will be on CD and hopefully not too expensive.

-Teh Kao

Lewis Curl

Mar 3, 1993, 5:08:02 PM3/3/93
I purchased a copy of Silpheed about 5 years ago for my PC. It was made by
Sierra-On-Line. It was basically a shoot-em-up space type game if my memory
serves me. Is this the same game being discussed?

--

\\ Lewis K. Curl Direct: (415)691-7496 \\