Super Nintendo system is here!

Richard Guion

Aug 24, 1991, 8:22:12 PM8/24/91
I'm surprised I haven't seen any messages from other than 1 person
talking about the fact that you can BUY the Super NES 16-bit American
system at Toys R Us!!! I got mine at the "haunted" Toys R Us in Sunnyvale,
Ca, at the corner of Sunnyvale-Saratoga and El Camino Real.

It seems like we are getting a much better deal than they got for the SFC in
Japan. The system sells for $199 at TRU, comes with all the cables you'll
need (one for plugging into the ohms jack on the TV, another set for the RCA
audio/visual jacks, including left/right speakers), two "flat" joypad controllers,
AC adaptor plug, and best of all, SUPER MARIO WORLD game.

SMW is an utter delight. The worlds you travel thru in the game are really big
and varied, and there seem to be many hidden tricks/goodies for you to discover.
The graphics are not as flashy or spectacular as those in Sonic the Hedgehog on
the Genesis, but they have do have a very charming quality to them. I have a
feeling that this game only scratches the surface of what the Super NES can
really do. Also, the Super NES box advertises "Digital Stereo Sound", and I
can confirm that the music/sound effects on SMW are superb, and really do things
with your stereo speakers that really enhance the game play. Oh, and one other
think I should mention is that SMW has a battery-backed ram, and the game
allows you to save your progress thru the overworld at certain key points. It
would be really tiring to play this game without this feature.

There were only 2 other Super NES games out at TRU, Pilotwings and F-Zero.
I had played those on the SFC and am waffling about whether or not to buy them.
SMW has many many hours of game play left for me so I think I'll wait before buying
anything else.

Anyway, for those of you who still enjoy/would like to get back into Nintendo games,
I think the Super NES should not be passed up.

--
Richard J. Guion
UUCP: {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rguion or rgu...@mips.com)

"I want to be Robin to Bush's Batman."