Why NOT rent video games?

Ed Federmeyer

Aug 18, 1989, 1:39:43 PM8/18/89
I don't understand why Nintendo does not want Blockbuster (or other places)
to rent thier video games out to people... I would think it would give people
a chance to try out alot of video games and help them decide which ones to buy.

Its not like by renting out games you are preventing people from buying them...
Is it?

--
//==========================================================================\\
|| Ed Federmeyer || UUCP: e...@iitMax.iit.edu ||

Nathan Glasser

Aug 18, 1989, 9:14:54 PM8/18/89
In article <26...@iitmax.IIT.EDU> e...@iitmax.IIT.EDU (Ed Federmeyer) writes:
>I don't understand why Nintendo does not want Blockbuster (or other places)
>to rent thier video games out to people... I would think it would give people
>a chance to try out alot of video games and help them decide which ones to buy.

In some sense, video game manufacturers have been letting places rent their
games for a long time, Nintento included.

It is typical for a video arcade to purchase a game, and rent it to others
at the rate of $.25 per game (or whatever). Often the arcades
themselves are renting it from another company.

Why is there a difference between the cheap little game cartridges and
the expensive big games? Is it just the instruction booklets?
--
Nathan Glasser
fnord nathan@{mit-eddie.uucp, brokaw.lcs.mit.edu}