Lynx New Stuff...

Andy Bates

Jun 9, 1990, 9:02:04 PM6/9/90
First, my own comment about the huge pro-Nintendo, anti-Atari post: I agree
with Robert in the fact that it would be nice to see the superior machine
come out on top (Lynx over Gameboy). However, that is not the case right now.
There have been MANY more Gameboys sold than Lynxs. But that does NOT mean
that the Gameboy is technologically superior. It is simply more popular
because of Nintendo's higher visibility in the video game market. Personally,
if I was the only person in the world with a Lynx, and Atari kept making
cartridges just for me, I'd buy them. If the fewer units (compared to Gameboy)
means that the new games will be coming out less often, so be it. I'm sure
that the games coming out will be superior in many ways to the hundreds of
games out for the Gameboy. I'm pretty sure that Atari won't be porting over
Space Invaders, anyway.

Now, for the new news. I read the comment about Rampage being released (and
have since found out it is inaccurate), and called a local store to find out
what was coming out when. The salesman said that Rampage won't be out until
August or September. He also said that three new games should be out by
July, and they are: Klax ("A kinda Tetris-like game"), "some basketball game",
and "some baseball game." My eyes kinda went BOINNNGGGGG!!!! If a baseball
game is coming out this soon, SIGN ME UP! Anyway, just thought everyone would
like to know. Now, call your local stores and start bugging them about it!

Andy Bates | "When you wet the bed, first it is warm,
amb...@ames.arc.nasa.gov | then it gets cold." -- Patrick Stewart
or ccm...@deneb.ucdavis.edu | "Are you calling my flower a dilletante?!?"

Robert allen Jung

Jun 12, 1990, 1:03:11 AM6/12/90
In article <74...@aggie.ucdavis.edu> ccm...@deneb.ucdavis.edu () writes:
> I'm sure that the games coming out will be superior in many ways to the
>hundreds of games out for the Gameboy. I'm pretty sure that Atari won't
> be porting over Space Invaders, anyway.

Right. Lots of dreck is still dreck. You sure won't see TOURNAMENT CYBERBALL
(yes! Thank you Lord!) out on the Gameboy. NFL FOOTBALL is very pathetic
anyway.

>Now, for the new news. I read the comment about Rampage being released (and
>have since found out it is inaccurate), and called a local store to find out
>what was coming out when. The salesman said that Rampage won't be out until
>August or September.

Just to stir the pot up more: I had a talk with my "inside Atari" contact,
and he teased me that he already has RAMPAGE DELUXE. Agh! This might mean
that RD is out sooner than expected...As for reliability, this is the same guy
who first tipped me off to the availability of GAUNTLET III, so maybe there
is some news to the Tex's Toys rumor. Official word means nothing next to
actual availability, y'know?

> He also said that three new games should be out by
>July, and they are: Klax ("A kinda Tetris-like game"), "some basketball game",
>and "some baseball game."

Hmm. My Upcoming Lynxwares List (tm) shows "Stealin' Home" for the Lynx
coming out in January. No basketball game listed. I wonder if this is an
unsubstantiated rumor? As for KLAX, I have played it in the arcades, and will
give it a look when it's out on the Lynx (pluses: An addictive yet casual
game. minuses: I have to turn the Lynx vertical to play it).

--R.J.
B-)

Send whatevers to rj...@nunki.usc.edu | If it has pixels, I'm for it.
"You weren't chosen because you're the best pilot in the Air Force. You were
chosen because you're the class clown and frankly, you're expendable."