Saturn's Resolution: what is it??

Dave Oconnor

Jun 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/11/95
Deos anyone know Saturn's true resolution capabilities? I have read that
the PSX and Jaguar have higher resolution. Is this true? The reason
being that if a game is released on the PSX and Saturn, I'd rather get
the PSX version because grpahics would be improved. (Assuming the same
level of gameplay) For example Streetfighter the movie will be released
on both platforms with the PSX version having better resolution.
(According to a magazine)

Patrick Deupree

Jun 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/11/95
Dave Oconnor (LWY...@prodigy.com) wrote:
: Deos anyone know Saturn's true resolution capabilities? I have read that

Well, there have been some differences on opinion here, but the best
figure I've seen (in the Saturn manual, and in the magazines) is ...
shoot, can't find the manual right now. It was basically >700 x >500 if
memory serves. At the moment, however, the games are using 352x224
resolution.

We'll just have to see what happens with games in the future.

Dustin Cushman

Jun 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/11/95
> : Deos anyone know Saturn's true resolution capabilities? I have read that
> : the PSX and Jaguar have higher resolution. Is this true? The reason
> : being that if a game is released on the PSX and Saturn, I'd rather get
> : the PSX version because grpahics would be improved. (Assuming the same
> : level of gameplay) For example Streetfighter the movie will be released
> : on both platforms with the PSX version having better resolution.
> : (According to a magazine)

According to the Sega web the Saturn has a resolution of 300x200 and
700x500. I don't remember the tenth and one digit exactly so I just put
the zeros in there.

Dustin--

Dustin Cushman ||
Rcus...@vms1.gmu.edu __//__ I'd rather be excavating
Geroge Mason University \ /
\ /
\/

ksa...@telerama.lm.com

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
Dustin Cushman (rcus...@vms1.gmu.edu) wrote:
> > : Deos anyone know Saturn's true resolution capabilities? I have read tha

> > : the PSX and Jaguar have higher resolution. Is this true? The reason
> > : being that if a game is released on the PSX and Saturn, I'd rather get
> > : the PSX version because grpahics would be improved. (Assuming the same
> > : level of gameplay) For example Streetfighter the movie will be release

> > : on both platforms with the PSX version having better resolution.
> > : (According to a magazine)
> >
> According to the Sega web the Saturn has a resolution of 300x200 and
> 700x500. I don't remember the tenth and one digit exactly so I just put
> the zeros in there.

> Dustin--

> Dustin Cushman ||
> Rcus...@vms1.gmu.edu __//__ I'd rather be excavating

> Geroge Mason University \ /
> \ /
> \/

Well in my book they said they all are the same.

B.Jury

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
Dustin Cushman (rcus...@vms1.gmu.edu) wrote:
: > : Deos anyone know Saturn's true resolution capabilities? I have read that
: > : the PSX and Jaguar have higher resolution. Is this true? The reason
: > : being that if a game is released on the PSX and Saturn, I'd rather get
: > : the PSX version because grpahics would be improved. (Assuming the same
: > : level of gameplay) For example Streetfighter the movie will be released
: > : on both platforms with the PSX version having better resolution.
: > : (According to a magazine)
: >
: According to the Sega web the Saturn has a resolution of 300x200 and
: 700x500. I don't remember the tenth and one digit exactly so I just put
: the zeros in there.

700x500.. Am i right in thinking a uk TV cant display such a resolution.
If so, what are they planning to do with this mode? I dunno, maybe
its different in the states... (Isnt there a new standard or summit?
SVHS or ???)
-Ben.

--
B.Jury - University Of Kent. PSX Owner WannaB.
i _WILL_ win the national lottery. Ohhh yes, it will be mine!@#

Teh Kao Yang

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
In article <10...@merlin.ukc.ac.uk>, B.Jury <b...@ukc.ac.uk> wrote:
>Dustin Cushman (rcus...@vms1.gmu.edu) wrote:
>: > : Deos anyone know Saturn's true resolution capabilities? I have read that
>: > : the PSX and Jaguar have higher resolution. Is this true? The reason
>: > : being that if a game is released on the PSX and Saturn, I'd rather get
>: > : the PSX version because grpahics would be improved. (Assuming the same
>: > : level of gameplay) For example Streetfighter the movie will be released
>: > : on both platforms with the PSX version having better resolution.
>: > : (According to a magazine)
>: >
>: According to the Sega web the Saturn has a resolution of 300x200 and
>: 700x500. I don't remember the tenth and one digit exactly so I just put

Ok enough with the BS. Here is the low down on the resolutions:

Supported resolutions on Playstation

non-interlaced 256X240
320X240
512X240
640X240
384X240

interlaced
256X480
320X480
512X480
640X480
384X480

Supported resolutions on Saturn

Non-interlaced NTSC
320X224
320X240
352X224
352X240
352X256
640X224
640X240
640X256
704X224
704X240
704X256

Interlaced
320X448
320X480
352X448
352X480
640X448
640X480
704X448
704X480

Non-interlaced, 31kHZ monitor only
320X480
640X480

Non-interlaced Hi-vision monitor only
352X480
704X480

As you can see, the Saturn is MUCH more flexible in terms of resolution
modes.

-TK

GREG HJELSTROM

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
Dustin Cushman (rcus...@vms1.gmu.edu) wrote:

: According to the Sega web the Saturn has a resolution of 300x200 and
: 700x500. I don't remember the tenth and one digit exactly so I just put

: the zeros in there.

The saturn has a range of resolutions between the two you list.

"A trap door in the ceiling opens and a rock falls on your head!"
"Fortunately you are wearing a hard helmet."
"You feel wise!" Greg Hjelstrom - to...@nevada.edu

Royce Shih-Wea Liao

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
Teh Kao Yang (teh...@crl.com) wrote:
: Ok enough with the BS. Here is the low down on the resolutions:

: Supported resolutions on Saturn

: Non-interlaced NTSC
: 320X224
: 320X240
: 352X224
: 352X240
: 352X256

: <stuff deleted>

I guess the 352x240 mode should make VideoCD support a bit easier...no
need to strech/crop/leave black space on the screen.