Decap Attack troubleshooting?

Etti...@hotmail.com

Feb 19, 2006, 2:35:48 AM2/19/06
Hmmm, is this a known problem or a busted copy?

So last night in the dead of the night I popped in Decap Attack. Game
looks fine. I am playing with a six button "Super Pad by Performance"
controller. I watched the intro, and then it came to the "press start"
screen. I then pressed start, but nothing happens. I then try several
times, but to no avail. I only have one controller, so I couldn't test
with another.

I turned off the game and figured maybe the controller just broke. So
I pop in SSF 2 and it plays perfectly fine. Same with Altered Beast.
I go back to Decap Attack. No good.

Any ideas? Is it the game or the pad? =/

Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Feb 19, 2006, 5:28:42 AM2/19/06
<Etti...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Decap Attack is an earlier Genesis game and there were some issues with
six-button controller compatibility for some ealier games. (Someone may know
where that short list of games is located, but I remember that games such as
Ms. Pac-Man and Forgotten Worlds were two of the games on that list.)

To work around these incompatibilties, genuine Sega Genesis six-button
controllers had a Mode button that would force three-button mode, for those
few games that did not work properly with the default six-button mode. The
Mode button had to be held down when the console was powered up with the
game loaded; however, at least one game--Arcade's Greatest Hits Sega
Genesis--also used the Mode button as an in-game 3/6-button mode toggle for
some games like Robotron 2084 and Defender II.

So, if the Super Pad by Performance controller has a Mode button, use that
as a troubleshooting step. Hold the Mode button down while powering on the
console with the Decap Attack game loaded and, just to be sure, keep the
Mode button down until the game's title screen appears.

Now, release the Mode button and try starting the game by pressing Start.

If that works, then the issue was that the game wasn't working with the
controller's default six-button mode. If that still fails, other
troubleshooting steps may be required.

Etti...@hotmail.com

Feb 19, 2006, 6:51:35 AM2/19/06
Hey thanks a ton man. I appreciate that. Yeah, I had a feeling it was
due to its early release and 3-button setup.

Scott H

Feb 19, 2006, 8:53:36 AM2/19/06
Etti...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hey thanks a ton man. I appreciate that. Yeah, I had a feeling it was
> due to its early release and 3-button setup.

It should still work then if you hold down the 'mode' button from before
you turn the game on until the title screen. But then, if I recall,
Forgotton Worlds really messes up with a six button controller, regardless.

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com

Useful Usenet definitions:

Hypocrite
Gr: Hupokrites;
1. an actor, stage player
2. a dissembler, pretender, hypocrite

Dissembler(Synonym of hypocrite);
1 : to hide under a false appearance
2 : to put on the appearance of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_%28law%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact_(law)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_argument
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Benjamin

Feb 19, 2006, 9:54:02 AM2/19/06
Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:

<Cookie>

> To work around these incompatibilties, genuine Sega Genesis six-button
> controllers had a Mode button that would force three-button mode, for those
> few games that did not work properly with the default six-button mode. The
> Mode button had to be held down when the console was powered up with the
> game loaded; however, at least one game--Arcade's Greatest Hits Sega
> Genesis--also used the Mode button as an in-game 3/6-button mode toggle for
> some games like Robotron 2084 and Defender II.

Technoclash used it as well, though all the six-button controller's
extra buttons were basically just single press short cuts for a
three-button controller's button combination actions.

<Crisp>

Benjamin

BelPowerslave

Feb 19, 2006, 6:14:53 PM2/19/06
> Decap Attack is an earlier Genesis game and there were some issues with
> six-button controller compatibility for some ealier games. (Someone may know
> where that short list of games is located, but I remember that games such as
> Ms. Pac-Man and Forgotten Worlds were two of the games on that list.)

This is a good topic to shoot off the original with, see if we can come up with
a list of what doesn't work with the 6 button pad. I don't know if even Sega's
official manual for the 6 button pad had all the games on there.

> however, at least one game--Arcade's Greatest Hits Sega
> Genesis--also used the Mode button as an in-game 3/6-button mode toggle for
> some games like Robotron 2084 and Defender II.

Here's another great topic: See if we can find games that actually use the Mode
button. I know Star Wars 32X will use it to switch from cockpit to 3rd person
view.

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"I love collecting big guns! It looks so Unreal!"
- Sam Stone, Serious Sam II

BelPowerslave

Feb 19, 2006, 6:15:46 PM2/19/06
> however, at least one game--Arcade's Greatest Hits Sega
> > Genesis--also used the Mode button as an in-game 3/6-button mode toggle for
> > some games like Robotron 2084 and Defender II.
>
> Technoclash used it as well, though all the six-button controller's
> extra buttons were basically just single press short cuts for a
> three-button controller's button combination actions.

Sounds like SoR 3's use of the extra buttons as well. Was pretty nice...

BelPowerslave

Feb 19, 2006, 6:20:24 PM2/19/06
Etti...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hmmm, is this a known problem or a busted copy?

Hopefully you got it working. Pretty much any game that just freaks out, or
doesn't work at all with a 6 button pad needs to have that method, that
others have mentioned, applied. As far as I've seen, there aren't that
many...

As for DecapAttack itself...man I love that game. Give it a good, serious
try once you get it running...it's great!

Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Feb 20, 2006, 3:41:37 AM2/20/06
"BelPowerslave" <belpow...@ev1.net> wrote in message

> > Decap Attack is an earlier Genesis game and there were some issues with
> > six-button controller compatibility for some ealier games. (Someone may
know
> > where that short list of games is located, but I remember that games
such as
> > Ms. Pac-Man and Forgotten Worlds were two of the games on that list.)
> >

> This is a good topic to shoot off the original with, see if we can come up
with
> a list of what doesn't work with the 6 button pad. I don't know if even
Sega's
> official manual for the 6 button pad had all the games on there.

Well, I just found the insert for the Sega 6-Button Arcade Pad controller.

The insert describes the Mode Button workaround as follows:

[begin quoted text]

1. Make sure the Arcade Pad is plugged in and the Genesis power switch is
turned off.

2. Press and hold the Mode Button on the top side of the Arcade Pad (above
Button Z).

3. Turn the Genesis power switch on.

4. Release the Mode Button when the Sega screen appears.

[end quoted text]

The insert then lists the following games as needing the Mode Button
workaround:

Arch Rivals
Exile
Forgotten Worlds
Golden Axe II
Ms. Pac Man

Also, the insert also has an Important Note that says "The following games
are not recommended for play with the Sega Arcade Pad". They list the
following games below the important note:

Air Diver
Aliens 3
Clue
Decapattack
Double Dragon 2
John Madden Football (1)
Jordan vs. Bird
Pit-Fighter
Slime World
Storm Lord
Trouble Shooter

[snip...]

Tim Miller

Feb 20, 2006, 10:04:22 AM2/20/06
BelPowerslave wrote:

> This is a good topic to shoot off the original with, see if we can
> come up with a list of what doesn't work with the 6 button pad. I
> don't know if even Sega's official manual for the 6 button pad had
> all the games on there.

It certainly didn't in the UK. The 'manual' was a single sheet of
a paper with very basic "plug it in, maybe hold down 'mode'"
instructions printed in 53,974 different languages.

Tim (tm)
--
tim (at) economic-truth.co.uk
http://www.gamerwiki.com - the videogame encyclopedia

BelPowerslave

Feb 20, 2006, 1:38:05 PM2/20/06
> > This is a good topic to shoot off the original with, see if we can come up
> with
> > a list of what doesn't work with the 6 button pad. I don't know if even
> Sega's
> > official manual for the 6 button pad had all the games on there.
> >
> Well, I just found the insert for the Sega 6-Button Arcade Pad controller.
>
> The insert then lists the following games as needing the Mode Button
> workaround:
>
> Arch Rivals
> Exile
> Forgotten Worlds
> Golden Axe II
> Ms. Pac Man

Yeah, I've definitely run into issues with all of those(GA2 is really odd, it
just cuts off certain directions and buttons).

> Also, the insert also has an Important Note that says "The following games
> are not recommended for play with the Sega Arcade Pad". They list the
> following games below the important note:
>
> Air Diver
> Aliens 3
> Clue
> Decapattack
> Double Dragon 2
> John Madden Football (1)
> Jordan vs. Bird
> Pit-Fighter
> Slime World
> Storm Lord
> Trouble Shooter

I find the list odd because A) Double Dragon II never made it to the US, and as
far as I know was never scheduled to and B) I only ever use a 6 button pad, and
I've played all the way through Alien 3, DecapAttack and Pit Fighter. I've also
played quite a bit of Slime World, Storm Lord and Trouble Shooter, all with no
issues. I wonder why Sega has them on that list?

BelPowerslave

Feb 20, 2006, 1:39:39 PM2/20/06
> > This is a good topic to shoot off the original with, see if we can
> > come up with a list of what doesn't work with the 6 button pad. I
> > don't know if even Sega's official manual for the 6 button pad had
> > all the games on there.
> >
> It certainly didn't in the UK. The 'manual' was a single sheet of
> a paper with very basic "plug it in, maybe hold down 'mode'"
> instructions printed in 53,974 different languages.

Yeah, I've noticed that with a lot of stuff I get from the UK and
whatnot. I'll pop open the game and almost pass out when I see the
thick-ass manual...after reading it, I notice why it's so thick. ;)

Also, check out Daniel's post "Six button controller game issues (was:
Re: Decap Attack troubleshooting?)" for a reproduction of what was in
the US version's manual(well, insert).

DBG

Feb 20, 2006, 8:53:46 PM2/20/06
I ran into the same problem with forgotten worlds.I was looking through
digital press one day on my pc when I spotted a question about a person
not being able to play forgotten worlds.They said the solution was to
use the original red letter abc button controller or the black abc
buttons could also work.It fixed my problem.They also talked about the
mode button on the six button controller but they could'nt state it's
reliability.Used 3 button genesis controllers are very easy to get.Most
game shops handle them.I bet if you use a 3 button controller DeCap
Attack will work.Digital Press IMHO is a very reliable an informative
publication.Hope this helps.
Bruce

any one can develope common sense either through experience or living
long enough.it is the people who have uncommon sense who change the
world.

BelPowerslave

Feb 20, 2006, 10:30:49 PM2/20/06
> I ran into the same problem with forgotten worlds.I was looking through
> digital press one day on my pc when I spotted a question about a person
> not being able to play forgotten worlds.They said the solution was to
> use the original red letter abc button controller or the black abc
> buttons could also work.It fixed my problem.They also talked about the
> mode button on the six button controller but they could'nt state it's
> reliability.Used 3 button genesis controllers are very easy to get.Most
> game shops handle them.I bet if you use a 3 button controller DeCap
> Attack will work.Digital Press IMHO is a very reliable an informative
> publication.Hope this helps.
> Bruce

I actually like the old 3 button pads for some stuff...it just really
brings back that old school Genesis flavor for stuff like Altered Beast
and whatnot. I've bought one or two that were damn near mint quality,
for like $3 or something.

Bel

Tim Miller

Feb 21, 2006, 8:36:15 AM2/21/06
BelPowerslave wrote:

> I actually like the old 3 button pads for some stuff...it just really
> brings back that old school Genesis flavor for stuff like Altered Beast
> and whatnot. I've bought one or two that were damn near mint quality,
> for like $3 or something.

Indeed. But the 6-button pads are so well designed and easy to hold.
If a little difficult to get used to after using the Xbox pads for any
length of time.

Tim Miller

Feb 21, 2006, 8:35:09 AM2/21/06
BelPowerslave wrote:

> Also, check out Daniel's post "Six button controller game issues
> (was: Re: Decap Attack troubleshooting?)" for a reproduction of what
> was in the US version's manual(well, insert).

But at least that gave you a list of some of the games that you might
need to use it on. The Euro one didn't, as far as I can recall.

BelPowerslave

Feb 21, 2006, 12:55:40 PM2/21/06
> > I actually like the old 3 button pads for some stuff...it just really
> > brings back that old school Genesis flavor for stuff like Altered Beast
> > and whatnot. I've bought one or two that were damn near mint quality,
> > for like $3 or something.
> >
> Indeed. But the 6-button pads are so well designed and easy to hold.
> If a little difficult to get used to after using the Xbox pads for any
> length of time.

They are damn small, I'll give you that...I liked how Sega basically took
that design and made it a little bigger for the Saturn's controller(well, the
second revision, or Japanese controller). What kills me is Sega even made a
"kids" version of the 6 button controller that's even *smaller* than the
original. I think it had the "Sega Kids" logo on it, and the buttons were all
colored. It looked alright, I just don't think I could manage to do anything
with one. ;)

DBG

Feb 21, 2006, 6:51:20 PM2/21/06
Yea,I like the 3 button controllers too.I got my wings playing After
Burner 2 after about a million hours.Finally landed the jet on the air
craft carrier.My dad if he was still alive would have been proud.He was
a Navy carrier pilot.Like Father,like son.It kind of made him mad when I
joined the Marines though.He got over it though.I still love playing
After Burner 2.Hope a new version comes out on the 360 or xbox.That
would be cool.

Tim Miller

Feb 22, 2006, 5:05:12 AM2/22/06
DBG wrote:
> Yea,I like the 3 button controllers too.I got my wings playing After
> Burner 2 after about a million hours.Finally landed the jet on the air
> craft carrier.My dad if he was still alive would have been proud.He was
> a Navy carrier pilot.Like Father,like son.It kind of made him mad when I
> joined the Marines though.He got over it though.I still love playing
> After Burner 2.Hope a new version comes out on the 360 or xbox.That
> would be cool.

There's a new Afterburner game coming to the arcades very soon; I think
it'll get a home conversion sometime soon.

BelPowerslave

Feb 22, 2006, 1:42:23 PM2/22/06
> > Yea,I like the 3 button controllers too.I got my wings playing After
> > Burner 2 after about a million hours.Finally landed the jet on the air
> > craft carrier.My dad if he was still alive would have been proud.He was
> > a Navy carrier pilot.Like Father,like son.It kind of made him mad when I
> > joined the Marines though.He got over it though.I still love playing
> > After Burner 2.Hope a new version comes out on the 360 or xbox.That
> > would be cool.
>
> There's a new Afterburner game coming to the arcades very soon; I think
> it'll get a home conversion sometime soon.

The local GameWorks has been pretty good about getting new arcade games
lately, I wonder if they'll be able to swing this one. My buddy has a
camcorder, I wonder if they'd get pissed if we walked around filming these new
games...