SEGA never made a good game!!!

Ed Zagmoon

Jan 19, 2007, 3:57:21 AM1/19/07
They just pirated the good ideas and copycatted the crap.

That makes SEGA the worst games manufacturer ever!

BelPowerslave

Jan 19, 2007, 4:54:13 AM1/19/07
Ed Zagmoon wrote:
> They just pirated the good ideas and copycatted the crap.
>
> That makes SEGA the worst games manufacturer ever!

I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but this is the most masterful
trolling I've ever seen....

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Question: What is Web 2.0?
Answer: Web 2.0 is a combination of Web 1.0 and being punched in the dick."
- The Hogosphere, Something Awful

Eiji Hayashi

Jan 19, 2007, 2:50:22 PM1/19/07
BelPowerslave wrote:
> Ed Zagmoon wrote:
> > They just pirated the good ideas and copycatted the crap.
> >
> > That makes SEGA the worst games manufacturer ever!
> >

> I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but this is the most masterful
> trolling I've ever seen....

It's also the most bizarre. Sega hasn't been making hardware for over 6
years, so what possible motivation would there be to troll? Software
rivalry have never approached the level of hardware, and there hasn't
even been any for decades, with the last between Nintendo and Sega back
in the 8/16 bit days. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen
software related trolling on usenet.

While one could argue Sega has lagged somewhat from it's heydays
they're still one of the most innovative developers out there. If
plagiarism can be attributed to Sega, then there is probably no
developer that is safe.

Relic

Jan 19, 2007, 7:34:43 PM1/19/07

"Ed Zagmoon" <sparta...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> They just pirated the good ideas and copycatted the crap.
>
> That makes SEGA the worst games manufacturer ever!

(removed the baby-eating NG)

In terms of trolling, from 1-10...
Uh, do they give out -8?

--
New version of an old favorite!
The Briefcase Fulla Rant!

My Selling Page:
http://briefrant.com/Selling/Selling
Wide selection of American Comics and Manga at Bargain Prices!

Azel

Jan 20, 2007, 5:26:21 AM1/20/07

true. it's a level of company hate that is bizarre. that and the cross
post goes to alt.recipe.babies or something. is this like a beanie baby
sewing circle? if so, i'm trying to figure out what's the relevance.

Rumba

Jan 20, 2007, 3:15:17 PM1/20/07
> true. it's a level of company hate that is bizarre. that and the cross
> post goes to alt.recipe.babies or something. is this like a beanie baby
> sewing circle? if so, i'm trying to figure out what's the relevance.

Cross-posting to dead groups serves two purposes:
1) they can read all the replies to their varrious trollings in one
convenient group (they troll many different legit groups, cross-posting to
the same dead group)
2) they can check the activity of the dead group and keep 'score' by seeing
how much activity increases

Phillip Roncoroni

Jan 21, 2007, 1:08:47 PM1/21/07
"Eiji Hayashi" <li...@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message

Are you drunk?

Sega has put out almost 100% garbage since the Dreamcast died, Sonic Team is
a joke, as is every post-Dreamcast Sonic effort, we're never going to see
Shenmue 3, and the company is basically dead to me at this point.

They took a huge nosedive once they went third party, and the Sammy merger
sealed it.

Meanwhile, we have fan projects like Streets of Rage Remake which piss all
over whatever official efforts Sega themselves have made in the past several
years.

--

goodcow
goodcowfilms.com

Ted

Jan 21, 2007, 10:46:08 PM1/21/07

Phillip Roncoroni wrote:

> "Eiji Hayashi" <li...@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
> > BelPowerslave wrote:
> >> Ed Zagmoon wrote:
> >
> > While one could argue Sega has lagged somewhat from it's heydays
> > they're still one of the most innovative developers out there. If
> > plagiarism can be attributed to Sega, then there is probably no
> > developer that is safe.
>
> Are you drunk?
>
> Sega has put out almost 100% garbage since the Dreamcast died, Sonic Team is
> a joke, as is every post-Dreamcast Sonic effort, we're never going to see
> Shenmue 3, and the company is basically dead to me at this point.

Sonic Team has always been touch and go; I'd go as far as to say the two
Sonic Adventure games weren't all that good. And the mainline Genesis
games weren't good either.
Post DC, Sonic Pinball Party for the GBA was great tho, and Puyo Puyo
Fever was also good.
Sega's output is down, and I'd say the overall quality is down and the
percentage of decent games is down, but they've put out a number of good
games, from PDO to Rub Rabbits to Yakuza.

Scott H

Jan 21, 2007, 11:30:17 PM1/21/07

I've got to say that I have to agree with you Ted, I have
definitely been proven wrong about my impression of post Dreamcast Sega.
From Outrun 2 + 2006, House of the Dead 3, Sega GT 2002, Spikeout, and
even their published stuff has been pretty good, especially the Otogi
games, and then Yakuza, Shinobi, VF4 and Evo and a few others on the
PS2, Sega has been about the same as they always were, but more
profitable. I also saw a list of releases from Sega multiplatform
since 2001 and it was huge, easily matching Sega from the Genesis days
which was their former peak. They just don't poor their heart into
system sellers like they used to, that's the biggest major lack we're
noticing.

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com

Eiji Hayashi

Jan 25, 2007, 8:34:13 AM1/25/07

On Jan 21, 1:08 pm, "Phillip Roncoroni"
<goodcowfi...@the.same.name.com> wrote:
> "Eiji Hayashi" <l...@mcmaster.ca> wrote in messagenews:1169236222.3...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

> Sega has put out almost 100% garbage since the Dreamcast died,

I disagree. The good game bad game ratio is probably down to about 2:1
from maybe 4:1 in it's heydays, but 100% is a gross exageration.
Examples abound, VF4, Orta, Monkey Balls, even less heard about and
often maligned ones such as Shinobi, Blood Will Tell, and Shining Force
Neo are in no way garbage.

> Sonic Team is
> a joke, as is every post-Dreamcast Sonic effort, we're never going to see

I've never been a Sonic Team fan.. sorry, not even back in the days

> Shenmue 3, and the company is basically dead to me at this point.

never been a Shenmue fan either, even back in the days. But Yakuza is a
new series in similar style (though far more action oriented) and it's
quite good, especially the second one

> They took a huge nosedive once they went third party, and the Sammy merger
> sealed it.
>
> Meanwhile, we have fan projects like Streets of Rage Remake which piss all
> over whatever official efforts Sega themselves have made in the past several
> years.

perhaps you already have that mindset from far before? or perhaps you
havn't played as many Sega games since? just a guess. No.. Sega still
has what it takes. It still retained a good chunk of it's talents,
particularly AM2. There hasn't been many major defections other than
Mizughchi, and his products have always been niche. So Sega still has
the brains. What has change, and what a number of people here have
already alluded to, is motivation. They're less likely to put out great
games that lose a ton of money this day and age. If they can make great
games that make alot of money, like Yakuza and VF4, then they will, if
not they'll settle for games that just make alot of money, or atleast
break even.

Ted

Jan 25, 2007, 10:50:01 AM1/25/07

Eiji Hayashi wrote:
snip

> > Shenmue 3, and the company is basically dead to me at this point.
>
> never been a Shenmue fan either, even back in the days. But Yakuza is a
> new series in similar style (though far more action oriented) and it's
> quite good, especially the second one

snip

While it's more in the style of Shenmue than, say, Sonic Adventure (or
even Blood Will Tell), I think it's misleading to say Yakuza is really
along the same lines as Shenmue. The cut scenes and even the game engine
have a fairly similar look, they're both real world adventure games,
etc. I was excited when I first saw stills from the game because it made
me think it would be a lot like Shenmue. But as someone who loves the
Shenmue games, I can't say Yakuza is really very much like Shenmue; I
think it's unfair to Yakuza to get people to think it's more like
Shenmue than it is, as they might be disappointed. Yakuza stands on its
own as a good game, but it lacks the experiencial depth of Shenmue, the
intricacy of the world. There are optional things to do in Yakuza (I
enjoy the batting cages, myself), but they don't have the number or
depth that they reached in Shenmue (2, especially). And the fighting
experience system differs significantly from Shenmue; each system has
its merits, but I find it a little odd that GTA San Andreas is in some
ways more similar to Shenmue than Yakuza is. Not the fighting itself, of
course, as GTA's fighting system is barely a fighting system; I'm
actually better at Yakuza's fighting engine than I am at Shenmue's, but
it's because Yakuza's fighting engine is kinda dumbed down (which
detracts from the game for some people, tho not for me in practice; I do
miss being able to pump stats as I want).

I need to actually finish Yakuza; altho I suppose it can wait until 2
has a release date here...

BelPowerslave

Jan 26, 2007, 7:39:10 PM1/26/07
Hmmmm, I'm not sure about all this post-DC Sonic Team bashing, are
ya'll really saying you didn't like Sonic 1, 2, 3 or S&K that much?
Shining Force, II, CD? No Pulsman? Nights, Burning Rangers, Sonic R!? I
don't know ya'll, everything they did up until the DC's death was
pretty hip. Their early Xbox/PS2 stuff seemed ok, it's just nowadays
they really seem to blow...

Bel

BelPowerslave

Jan 26, 2007, 7:40:46 PM1/26/07
(Edit: Sorry, meant Pre-DC)

Hmmmm, I'm not sure about all this Pre-DC Sonic Team bashing, are ya'll

Ted

Jan 26, 2007, 8:23:13 PM1/26/07

BelPowerslave wrote:

> (Edit: Sorry, meant Pre-DC)
>
> Hmmmm, I'm not sure about all this Pre-DC Sonic Team bashing, are ya'll
> really saying you didn't like Sonic 1, 2, 3 or S&K that much?

That's correct.

Shining
> Force, II, CD? No Pulsman? Nights, Burning Rangers, Sonic R!?

I only have Shining Force 3, and I don't like it all that much. RPGs
aren't my thing.
I don't know what Pulsman is. It's not listed under Sonic Team's credits
on GameFAQs (but neither is Sonic 3)...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/13171.html
I love Nights and Burning Rangers; I didn't say I didn't like any old
Sonic Team games, I said I don't like the mainline Sonic games.
I love Sonic R. It wasn't developed by Sonic Team tho, it was developd
by Traveler's Tales. I also like the Sonic Drift games, and Sonic
Spinball. Those aren't listed under Sonic Team either, but maybe that's
an error on GameFAQs part.
Sonic Adventure looked great, played ok, and was sorta irritating. Samba
de Amigo was great, Chu Chu Rocket was great, PSO was great.

I don't
> know ya'll, everything they did up until the DC's death was pretty hip.
> Their early Xbox/PS2 stuff seemed ok, it's just nowadays they really
> seem to blow...

I don't think Nilly Hatcher was any worse than the Sonic Adventure
games. I don't think it's all that good, but I think it might actually
have more solid gameplay than SA2.

Andrew Ryan Chang

Jan 26, 2007, 9:59:07 PM1/26/07
Eiji Hayashi <li...@mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>I disagree. The good game bad game ratio is probably down to about 2:1
>from maybe 4:1 in it's heydays, but 100% is a gross exageration.
>Examples abound, VF4, Orta, Monkey Balls, even less heard about and
>often maligned ones such as Shinobi, Blood Will Tell, and Shining Force
>Neo are in no way garbage.

I found Shinobi to be mildly good, but it's not up there with the
first three on your list. I haven't played the last two and thus can't
comment 'bout them.

--
'"tort reform" -- the ongoing effort by corporations to immunize
themselves from legal responsibility for causing injuries or death.'

-- TomPaine staff [http://www.tompaine.com/features/2001/05/08/3.html]

BelPowerslave

Jan 27, 2007, 3:41:26 AM1/27/07
>> Hmmmm, I'm not sure about all this Pre-DC Sonic Team bashing, are ya'll
>> really saying you didn't like Sonic 1, 2, 3 or S&K that much?
>
> That's correct.

Man, I don't know how anyone couldn't like any of the first four Sonics.

> Shining
>> Force, II, CD? No Pulsman? Nights, Burning Rangers, Sonic R!?
>
> I only have Shining Force 3, and I don't like it all that much. RPGs
> aren't my thing.

Though I haven't played SF3, I'd imagine that if you've played it and
didn't like it, you probably wouldn't like the earlier version either. :(

> I don't know what Pulsman is.

Unbelievably expensive MD import game. Really slick graphics,
action-based goodness.

> It's not listed under Sonic Team's credits
> on GameFAQs (but neither is Sonic 3)...
> http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/13171.html

Hmmmm, I was looking over at Moby Games:

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/sonic-team/developed-by/offset,0/so,1a/list-games/

> I love Nights and Burning Rangers; I didn't say I didn't like any old
> Sonic Team games, I said I don't like the mainline Sonic games.
> I love Sonic R. It wasn't developed by Sonic Team tho, it was developd
> by Traveler's Tales. I also like the Sonic Drift games, and Sonic
> Spinball. Those aren't listed under Sonic Team either, but maybe that's
> an error on GameFAQs part.

Either that, or Moby Games. It's a hard call...I mean, TT really did do
Sonic R, but I wonder if Sonic Team contributed?

> Sonic Adventure looked great, played ok, and was sorta irritating. Samba
> de Amigo was great, Chu Chu Rocket was great, PSO was great.

I really liked SA 1...I liked SA 2 during the Sonic and Shadow levels only.

> I don't
>> know ya'll, everything they did up until the DC's death was pretty hip.
>> Their early Xbox/PS2 stuff seemed ok, it's just nowadays they really
>> seem to blow...
>
> I don't think Nilly Hatcher was any worse than the Sonic Adventure
> games. I don't think it's all that good, but I think it might actually
> have more solid gameplay than SA2.

Well, as SA2 had those damn Knuckles and Rouge levels...I'd agree. ;)

Phillip Roncoroni

Jan 28, 2007, 4:44:51 AM1/28/07
"Ted" <nospam...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Phillip Roncoroni wrote:
>>
>> "Eiji Hayashi" <li...@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
>> >
>> > While one could argue Sega has lagged somewhat from it's heydays
>> > they're still one of the most innovative developers out there. If
>> > plagiarism can be attributed to Sega, then there is probably no
>> > developer that is safe.
>>
>> Are you drunk?
>>
>> Sega has put out almost 100% garbage since the Dreamcast died, Sonic Team
>> is
>> a joke, as is every post-Dreamcast Sonic effort, we're never going to see
>> Shenmue 3, and the company is basically dead to me at this point.
>
> Sonic Team has always been touch and go; I'd go as far as to say the two
> Sonic Adventure games weren't all that good. And the mainline Genesis
> games weren't good either.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were quite good, and you're crazy to say the Genesis
games weren't good.

Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and "Sonic the Hedgehog" are garbage
though.

> Sega's output is down, and I'd say the overall quality is down and the
> percentage of decent games is down, but they've put out a number of good
> games, from PDO to Rub Rabbits to Yakuza.

PDO was disappointing, and I really would've perferred a sequel to Saga.

--
goodcow
goodcowfilms.com

Phillip Roncoroni

Jan 28, 2007, 4:47:53 AM1/28/07
"BelPowerslave" <b...@whipassgaming.com> wrote in message

Um... Shining Force II/CD were Camelot, and Sonic R was mainly Traveller's
Tales.

--
goodcow
goodcowfilms.com

> Bel

BelPowerslave

Jan 28, 2007, 12:52:33 PM1/28/07
>> Hmmmm, I'm not sure about all this post-DC Sonic Team bashing, are
>> ya'll really saying you didn't like Sonic 1, 2, 3 or S&K that much?
>> Shining Force, II, CD? No Pulsman? Nights, Burning Rangers, Sonic R!? I
>> don't know ya'll, everything they did up until the DC's death was
>> pretty hip. Their early Xbox/PS2 stuff seemed ok, it's just nowadays
>> they really seem to blow...
>>

> Um... Shining Force II/CD were Camelot, and Sonic R was mainly Traveller's
> Tales.

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/sonic-team/developed-by/offset,0/so,1a/list-games/

Yeah, I remembered Sonic R being by TT, but Moby Games still has it
listed as a Sonic Team game. I don't know why...I don't know if ST
contributed, but TT handled the bulk or what.

Terrence Briggs

Jan 28, 2007, 2:47:29 PM1/28/07
On Jan 28, 4:44 am, "Phillip Roncoroni"
<goodcowfi...@the.same.name.com> wrote:
>PDO was disappointing, and I really would've perferred a sequel to Saga.

Is that why it was a disappointment? :)

I'll probably never be able to play PDS, barring a rerelease. PDO,
about halfway through, is the only genuinely exciting Panzer Dragoon
title I've played :P

Terrence Briggs, who'd be playing PDO now, if not for an extended PSP
session right now.
Peace to you...

Phillip Roncoroni

Jan 28, 2007, 8:30:32 PM1/28/07

>>> Hmmmm, I'm not sure about all this post-DC Sonic Team bashing, are
>>> ya'll really saying you didn't like Sonic 1, 2, 3 or S&K that much?
>>> Shining Force, II, CD? No Pulsman? Nights, Burning Rangers, Sonic R!? I
>>> don't know ya'll, everything they did up until the DC's death was
>>> pretty hip. Their early Xbox/PS2 stuff seemed ok, it's just nowadays
>>> they really seem to blow...
>>>

>> Um... Shining Force II/CD were Camelot, and Sonic R was mainly
>> Traveller's Tales.
>>

> http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/sonic-team/developed-by/offset,0/so,1a/list-games/
>
> Yeah, I remembered Sonic R being by TT, but Moby Games still has it listed
> as a Sonic Team game. I don't know why...I don't know if ST contributed,
> but TT handled the bulk or what.

Traveller's Tales did the bulk of the development work for Sonic R, with
Sonic Team taking over an advisory role.

Also, the Shining games are all Camelot. Shining Force CD, for example, had
a logo of "Sonic: Software Planning," but the series was still Camelot's
baby until Sega of Japan pissed them off during the SFIII project, causing
them to later go to Nintendo.

--
goodcow
goodcowfilms.com

Suppafly

Jan 29, 2007, 11:34:47 AM1/29/07
DONT FEED THE TROLL

BelPowerslave

Jan 29, 2007, 1:36:29 PM1/29/07

At what point do you suppose we've fed him? We took away his other
newsgroup in the reply, and noone has attacked the guy...