Sega's Scud Racer and Daytona USA 2

Radeon350

Mar 8, 2003, 11:17:47 PM3/8/03
Sega's Scud Race aka SuperGT and Daytona USA 2 (all versions) are
games that DESERVE XBox ports, with a new coat of paint. XBox is
probably the only console capable of handling all the textures and
anti-aliasing of the originals @60FPS.

Come on Sega!

RedFox

Mar 9, 2003, 4:02:00 AM3/9/03
"Radeon350" <Rade...@yahoo.com> wrote

Scud Race was ported as a rolling demo to showcase the power of the
Dreamcast to developers and publishers before it was released. Sega should
have finished the job and released it, I would have bought it.

-RedFox

Scott H

Mar 9, 2003, 8:26:14 AM3/9/03

"RedFox" <red...@firenet.ws> wrote in message

It would have taken a lot of work to run at 60FPS on the Dreamcast as a
port. I would have bought two, but still, it would be more likely to have
been handled by Genki as a quick port which worked well for Daytona.

> -RedFox

RedFox

Mar 9, 2003, 1:04:15 PM3/9/03
"Scott H" <Weapo...@yahoo.com> wrote

> > > Sega's Scud Race aka SuperGT and Daytona USA 2 (all versions) are
> > > games that DESERVE XBox ports, with a new coat of paint. XBox is
> > > probably the only console capable of handling all the textures and
> > > anti-aliasing of the originals @60FPS.
> > >
> > > Come on Sega!
> >
> > Scud Race was ported as a rolling demo to showcase the power of the
> > Dreamcast to developers and publishers before it was released. Sega
should
> > have finished the job and released it, I would have bought it.
>
> It would have taken a lot of work to run at 60FPS on the Dreamcast as
> port. I would have bought two, but still, it would be more likely to have
> been handled by Genki as a quick port which worked well for Daytona.

The demo was ported by AM2 and I don't think it would have taken much more
work to get it up and running. The core of the game was in there.

-RedFox

Scott H

Mar 9, 2003, 7:01:11 PM3/9/03

"RedFox" <red...@firenet.ws> wrote in message

I'm sure it could run well on the Dreamcast. I'm just not sure about
60FPS as a Model 3 port and not ground up software. It's highly possible,
it just would have taken some work.

> -RedFox

Sprite Scaler

Mar 9, 2003, 7:41:59 PM3/9/03
"Scott H" <Weapo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<WhHaa.1969$qB5...@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...

http://members.tripod.com/~David_Sharp/news3.html

one track from Scud Race was ported to the "step 4" version of
Katana/Dreamcast. Step 4 had approx 40% of the speed/power of the
final Dreamcast PowerVR2DC chip. It was running at 60fps with most of
the graphics from the Model 3 arcade version, minus a few FX. this was
coded up in a few weeks, IIRC.
I think AM2 could have handled a very, very sweet conversion of the
game, that would have appeared to be 95% the same as the arcade, to
the naked eye. if Genki did it, maybe 85-90% - when I say 95% from
AM2, i mean not quite exact, but *incredibly* close, going by how
not-close Daytona USA was on Saturn, which was also done by AM2. given
the capablity of Dreamcast over Model3 compared to the weakness of
Saturn compared to Model2.

Joseph

Mar 10, 2003, 1:27:31 AM3/10/03

>AM2, i mean not quite exact, but *incredibly* close, going by how
>not-close Daytona USA was on Saturn, which was also done by AM2. given
>the capablity of Dreamcast over Model3 compared to the weakness of
>Saturn compared to Model2.

Remember, they ported VOOT, another model 3 game to the DC, and it even looked
a bit better. Scud Race could have easily been done and I woulda bought it.

--

Daytona: nineBall (Retired)
PSO: emCrysnen (Retired)

Scott H

Mar 10, 2003, 7:11:01 AM3/10/03

"Sprite Scaler" <sprite...@directvinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Scott H" <Weapo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > It would have taken a lot of work to run at 60FPS on the Dreamcast
as a
> > port. I would have bought two, but still, it would be more likely to
have
> > been handled by Genki as a quick port which worked well for Daytona.
> >

> http://members.tripod.com/~David_Sharp/news3.html
>
> one track from Scud Race was ported to the "step 4" version of
> Katana/Dreamcast. Step 4 had approx 40% of the speed/power of the
> final Dreamcast PowerVR2DC chip. It was running at 60fps with most of
> the graphics from the Model 3 arcade version, minus a few FX. this was
> coded up in a few weeks, IIRC.
> I think AM2 could have handled a very, very sweet conversion of the
> game, that would have appeared to be 95% the same as the arcade, to
> the naked eye. if Genki did it, maybe 85-90% - when I say 95% from
> AM2, i mean not quite exact, but *incredibly* close, going by how
> not-close Daytona USA was on Saturn, which was also done by AM2. given
> the capablity of Dreamcast over Model3 compared to the weakness of
> Saturn compared to Model2.

I don't see this in the link above, am I missing something? Just to
clarify, I'm not talking about capability, I'm talking about difficulty in
the conversion, and the probably lack of invested time and money to do the
port right, preventing the game from being near perfect visually and 60FPS.
Personally, I'd have settled for a solid 30FPS and some filtering to handle
the aliasing the arcade version suffers from. Hell, I'd probably buy the
game even if the framerate weren't solid. I'll probably buy the arcade
cabinet someday.

AM2forever

Mar 10, 2003, 3:20:40 PM3/10/03
"Scott H" <Weapo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<ph%aa.10216$iq1....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...

I think AM2 would have kept the framerate a solid 60, while cutting
back on the animation and effects going on in the background. not that
dreamcast couldn't handle it. in the end, Sega had several reasons for
not bringing us Scud Race.
Licences, the age of the game even when DC arrived and the probability
that Daytona 2 would be coming within a year of DC's launch. even
though it didn't.

stvv

Mar 15, 2003, 2:38:55 PM3/15/03
OMFG, what I would give for a completely accurate port
of Daytona 2 + Power Edition on XBox with Live support.

I'd give my eye teeth!

BelPowerslave

Mar 17, 2003, 11:20:06 AM3/17/03
> OMFG, what I would give for a completely accurate port
> of Daytona 2 + Power Edition on XBox with Live support.
>
> I'd give my eye teeth!

Ah, but be careful...they gave us the first Daytona on DC, and it was a
sad, sad version...

Bel

--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://users2.ev1.net/~belpowerslave/

RedFox

Mar 19, 2003, 7:37:28 AM3/19/03
"BelPowerslave" <belpow...@ev1.net> wrote

> > OMFG, what I would give for a completely accurate port
> > of Daytona 2 + Power Edition on XBox with Live support.
> >
> > I'd give my eye teeth!
>
> Ah, but be careful...they gave us the first Daytona on DC, and it was a
> sad, sad version...

I thought it was great! They even kept most of the Saturn music :)

-RedFox