N64 analog stick

St. Sinner

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Am I the only one here who absolutely abhors this damn thing? After
playing Super Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire, I am starting to lose
faith in this system. the snowspeeders are hard to control and the
first-person levels are too jerky. If any other promising games such as
Starfox or Doom will use this "joy" stick, i will probably be better off
with a PSX.

As a sidenote (and the possible risk of getting flamed), I actually
enjoy full motion video in my games.

just wanted to vent my frustration. Hell, it's cheaper than therapy.

St. Sinner

Siegfried

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

I personally think the analog stick is the best controller device I've
ever used. I think the controls in any game where you can play with the
D-pad or the analog stick (like PW64 - Original PW) feels so much better
with the analog stick. As long as you don't push it too hard it won't
hurt your thumb.

-Siegfried

OrBiTaL

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996 17:33:16 -0600, "St. Sinner"
<stsi...@world-net.net> wrote:

>Am I the only one here who absolutely abhors this damn thing? After
>playing Super Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire, I am starting to lose
>faith in this system. the snowspeeders are hard to control and the
>first-person levels are too jerky. If any other promising games such as
>Starfox or Doom will use this "joy" stick, i will probably be better off
>with a PSX.

>just wanted to vent my frustration. Hell, it's cheaper than therapy.

It's OK, I don't think any pads are good really...N64's isn't any
worse than PS or Saturn. I always have liked joysticks. I did see
that there's a couple joysticks in the works for N64 that allows the
stick to be either analog or digital. Could be a big improvement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-SS [FoS VGA]
http://www.warped.com/~kwagner
email me for logos, bbs ads, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Randy Varnell

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

>St. Sinner wrote:
>
> Am I the only one here who absolutely abhors this damn thing?

And Randy replies:
Actually, I rather like. Having grown up in the Atari, Intellivision,
and C-64 era of videogaming, let me say that I VASTLY appreciate the
analog stick of the eight-direction, one-buttoned joysticks of old. The
stick allows for very precise control of movement and speed, which in 3D
gaming is a huge benefit in play. (Of course, except in networked play,
where the idea is just to run as fast as possible to keep from being
toasted...)

> As a sidenote (and the possible risk of getting flamed), I actually
> enjoy full motion video in my games.

Then buy a computer. Seriously. Let consoles do what they do best in
games, and let computer do what they do. FMV is best exploited on a
computer that is configured properly.

> just wanted to vent my frustration. Hell, it's cheaper than therapy.
>

> St. Sinner

Jason Brian Chapa

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

<stsi...@world-net.net> wrote:

>Am I the only one here who absolutely abhors this damn thing? After
>playing Super Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire, I am starting to lose
>faith in this system. the snowspeeders are hard to control and the
>first-person levels are too jerky. If any other promising games such as
>Starfox or Doom will use this "joy" stick, i will probably be better off
>with a PSX.

Maybe you haven't figured this out yet, but it is analog. Which means
that the farther you push the stick from center position, the more
your character will react, ie., Mario will run rather than walk. Most
people I've encountered who say they hate the analog joystick, are the
same people who play with the stick pushed the full direction.
Therefore, Mario runs everywhere instead of walking. Learn how to use
it subtely. It really adds a whole new experience to gaming.

>As a sidenote (and the possible risk of getting flamed), I actually
>enjoy full motion video in my games.

Just curious, are you 8 years old? Or do you just have the IQ of an 8
year old? If so, pick up a PSX, you'll be better off.

>just wanted to vent my frustration. Hell, it's cheaper than therapy.
>
>St. Sinner

| Jason Brian Chapa Jason...@cyberstation.net |
| http://www.cyberstation.net/jasonchapa/home.html |

Shoos to Save Swans

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

In article <32B72D...@world-net.net>,

St. Sinner <stsi...@world-net.net> wrote:
>Am I the only one here who absolutely abhors this damn thing? After
>playing Super Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire, I am starting to lose
>faith in this system. the snowspeeders are hard to control and the
>first-person levels are too jerky. If any other promising games such as
>Starfox or Doom will use this "joy" stick, i will probably be better off
>with a PSX.
>
>As a sidenote (and the possible risk of getting flamed), I actually
>enjoy full motion video in my games.

I don't like it either. I haven't concluded why though. I like
the range of motion it provides for the games, but it doesn't feel
right for my hand. I haven't decided if it is too tall or has too
much of a physical range of motion, but it feels like it is putting
too much stress on my thumb.

--
Rob Cupples--http://www.public.iastate.edu/~cupples/homepage.html

"Mulder, do you believe in swans?"
"Sculley, I believe that somewhere the trumpeter is out there."
"< Honk! Honk! Honk! Honk! Honk! >" The S-philes

so...@inforamp.net

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

In <32B72D...@world-net.net>, "St. Sinner" <stsi...@world-net.net> writes:
>Am I the only one here who absolutely abhors this damn thing? After
>playing Super Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire, I am starting to lose
>faith in this system. the snowspeeders are hard to control and the
>first-person levels are too jerky. If any other promising games such as
>Starfox or Doom will use this "joy" stick, i will probably be better off
>with a PSX.
>
>As a sidenote (and the possible risk of getting flamed), I actually
>enjoy full motion video in my games.
>
>just wanted to vent my frustration. Hell, it's cheaper than therapy.
>
>St. Sinner

If you hate it so much, just post a ad here to sell your unit. I sure a lot of
people would like to buy it from you as long as you don't ask for $500.

Ryan Morse

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

Shoos to Save Swans wrote:

> In article <32B72D...@world-net.net>,

> St. Sinner <stsi...@world-net.net> wrote:
> >Am I the only one here who absolutely abhors this damn thing? After
> >playing Super Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire, I am starting to lose
> >faith in this system. the snowspeeders are hard to control and the
> >first-person levels are too jerky. If any other promising games such as
> >Starfox or Doom will use this "joy" stick, i will probably be better off
> >with a PSX.
> >
> >As a sidenote (and the possible risk of getting flamed), I actually
> >enjoy full motion video in my games.
>
> I don't like it either. I haven't concluded why though. I like
> the range of motion it provides for the games, but it doesn't feel
> right for my hand. I haven't decided if it is too tall or has too
> much of a physical range of motion, but it feels like it is putting
> too much stress on my thumb.
>
> --
> Rob Cupples--http://www.public.iastate.edu/~cupples/homepage.html
>
> "Mulder, do you believe in swans?"
> "Sculley, I believe that somewhere the trumpeter is out there."
> "< Honk! Honk! Honk! Honk! Honk! >" The S-philes
O.K., O.K., so it's a little tough to use right now, You guys remeber
when the first nintendo came out? That contoller was tough at first
too, totally differnt, but now, it's second nature.
pudleduk