Food Fight Replays

John Vivian Matthews

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
Just a note or two about criteria for getting a replay on Food Fight:

1) I have been keeping a tally of what boards I earn replays on.
I don't have the stats with me right now, but tonight I hope
to play some more and then post my results. So far, board 5
seems to be the winner with somewhere between 30% and 40% of
the attempts earning replays. This is the all watermelon stage
and it would lend creedence to the theories that "amount of food
thrown" and "number of chefs bopped" are part of the formula.

2) After paying closer attention to my play, I feel convinced that
"proximity to chef" is probably a factor. That is, if you get
really close to a chef (or to many chefs) and still survive, you
are more likely to get a replay.

3) I feel that "proximity to thrown food" is still likely to be part
of the formula. Ruffin disagrees, but I feel that I have seen enough
incidents where "proximity to thrown food" was the only remarkable
thing about the level to somewhat convince me.

4) The earliest that I have gotten my second replay was on the fifth board
following my first. If anyone has ever had it happen sooner, I would
like to know.

5) It is probably impossible to get a replay on levels 1,2, and 3. Getting
one on 4 is possible, but difficult. Levels 11, 12 and 13 (which are in
many ways similar to 1, 2, and 3) are fairly good for getting a replay.

6) Getting replays on levels higher than 15 seems impossible. If anyone
has gotten one on levels 16 or higher, I would like to know.

One sort of related yet unrelated note: When you play a game and get a replay
then end your game, the system will eventually go into demo mode and show
the board that you earned your last replay on. So you can see your own replay
more than once! In fact, you can see it until you get another replay in
another game, I guess! I just thought this was cool...

matt

||| John V. Matthews, III | PO Box 50355
||| NCSU Mathematics Graduate Student | Raleigh, NC 27650
/ | \ I collect Atari 2600/5200/7800 games and systems! | (919) 852 0927

John Vivian Matthews

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
Paul (Pau...@cris.com) wrote:
: for which system are you talking about 2600 or 7800?

The only system that I know Food Fight was released for was the 7800.
I thought that the status of Food Fight for the 2600 was NR.

Dave Stein

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
> matt

> / | \ I collect Atari 2600/5200/7800 games and systems! | (919) 852 0927

Mr. Matthews, sir, I would like to be in a position to believe any or some of the above material, but seeing how you have been
proved to be a hypocrite and your buddy a liar, on what basis can I believe any of this information given what has been proved
beyond cavil on this newsgroup.

While I appreciate with sincerity, sir, the effort you and your friend are making with respect to figuring out Food Fight, your message
seems to lack specifity and hard facts. It is full of fluff, statements like "I feel" and "it seems likely." These are personal opinions,
and, like a nose, everyone has them. Hard facts is what we need here, not useless drivel like this. Next time, please indicate with
greater specifity your sources-what date you played, what sort of stick you were using, the dates of all the e-mail and postings which
in any way might be perceived to relate to this.

Oh, and have a good day.

Dave's sarcastic post of the day.

In all seriousness, I think your information jibes with mine, although I am not certain about the proximity of the food being a
determinative factor, but it has been a while since I played. I will try to check it out this weekend. Food Fight is a great game, but
my time lately has been occupied on my Colecovision, playing Qubes and Tapper.

Mark Phaedrus

Nov 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/14/95
> One sort of related yet unrelated note: When you play a game and get a
replay
> then end your game, the system will eventually go into demo mode and show
> the board that you earned your last replay on. So you can see your own
replay
> more than once! In fact, you can see it until you get another replay in
> another game, I guess! I just thought this was cool...

The mystery of the 7800 Food Fight attract-mode replay is actually a
bit deeper than this.
If you've played 7800 Food Fight for a long time, you'll eventually
run into the "OOPPS MISSED" bug. That is, if you just _barely_ got out of
the way of a piece of food during actual play, sometimes that same piece
of food will hit you during the replay! If that happens, the game goes
through the lose-a-life sequence, actually takes the life off your total,
then prints "OOPPS MISSED" on the display (and yes, I think it really does
spell "OOPS" that way), plays the bonus-life music and puts the life
back. Then the game continues.
Now, the funny thing about this is that if you now let that game end,
that instant replay will be the one played during the attract mode. And
you'll find that, when the same replay is played over and over, sometimes
that piece of food hits you and sometimes it doesn't! Make bets with your
friends... :-)

--
\o\ If you're interested in books/stories with transformation themes,\o\
\o\please try <URL:http://www.halcyon.com/phaedrus/Menu.html>, or \o\

John Vivian Matthews

Nov 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/14/95
Mark Phaedrus (phae...@halcyon.com) wrote:
[...]

Man, that's *cool*! I can't wait to get home and try it. (goodbye homework!)

Must be that the velocities of the sprites get figured independently each
time they are replayed. Maybe the storage of the replay involves just
the direction of the food and time of release...not velocity. Man,
this just about makes me want to learn the assembly needed to find out
just how this program works!