Where are the O^2 pinouts?

Bruce Tomlin

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
William Cassidy (kcas...@zoomnet.net) wrote in rec.games.video.classic:
>About a week ago, someone said they were going to post pinouts to let
>you rewire a 2600 joystick to work on the detachable-joystick model
>Odyssey^2 consoles. Any further word on this?

Here's what I have in my archives:

From: syn...@chinook.halcyon.com (Ben Lincoln)
Newsgroups: rec.games.video.classic
Subject: O2 Joystick patch
Date: 6 Aug 1995 19:39:06 GMT

Okay... I've been meaning to post this for awhile, but I couldn't
find my notes on the pinouts for the two systems involved. Anyway, here
is how to modify an Odyssey^2 system to use Atari 9-pin joysticks.
First, a note: This research was done on a later-model O2--It has
a standard RF cable, and the Odyssey2 logo is on a raised plate rather
than simply stenciled on the unit.
Materials needed:
1. A Hex driver (Size unknown). A rachet set might work as well.
2. 2 Atari 9-pin style joystick ports.
3. Some solder and an iron, OR electrician's tape for the quick version.

The procedure:
1. Open the O2 case, and remove the bottom half.
2. Chop off the joystick cables about 1 to 1-1/2 feet from the
connector on the motherboard.
3. Looking at the connector on the motherboard, the following
wires should be exposed just before they enter the cable cover:
(Left to Right)
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Black
White
4. Strip the ends of the whacked-off joystick cable to the bare
wire, and splice them into the Atari ports as follows:
(Atari port diagram)
5 4 3 2 1
_____________
\ . . . . . / (Front view--These are the pins the
\ . . . . / joystick will connect to. They are pointing
\_______/ towards you).
9 8 7 6

Function Odyssey 2 Connects to Atari Pin #
Joystick Up Red 5
Joystick Down Yellow 4
Joystick Left Green 3
Joystick Right Orange 2
Action/Fire White 9
Ground Black 7

5. Mount the ports anywhere you want. I'm thinking of doing mine
7800-style, on the front of the O2.

I've only tried this on mine, so any corrections are greatly
appreciated.
--
Ben Lincoln +/\s Syn...@Halcyon.com