PhillyClassic - Recap (long)

Chuck Whitby

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
Well PhillyClassic 2000 is over, and what a GREAT event it was. There
was so much to see, and so many faces to put to names.

Friday night was our setup and meet and greet night. Unfortunately
myself and my traveling partner had a rough time finding the Villanova
Conference Center (note: www.mapsonus.com stinks) so we got there an
hour or so late. We dropped off some of my stuff and announced we're
going to go get our hotel room. We got lost, about 2 hours later we
finally found a hotel nearby to PhillyClassic. Hampton Inn wouldn't let
us stay because were under 21, bastages. So a few miles down the road
we found a Best Western. Paid the $$ and went to our room. By now it
was already well after 10 and we didn't want to go back to the event
again that night for fear that no one would be there. So if anyone who
was there Friday night could fill me in, please do. 8*)

Saturday was our main day. It started off with more unpacking and
setting up. There was a great deal of stuff to look at. Jeff and his
wife had his Adventurevisions all setup for playing. Really neat to see
one, we were informed that only about 10 are known to exist, so seeing
multiple of them was a sure treat. While over at Jeff's tables we were
sure to pick up a couple of packs of the Donkey Kong cards he was giving
out. And against my better judgement, my friend decided to try out the
10+ year old gum in the pack, he quickly found out it wasn't too
appitizing. 8*)
I was running quite a few systems at my table. I had the Vec setup for
the entire day, and throughout the day I swapped systems that I had
hooked to the TV. Intellivision, N64, Playstation, Jaguar/CD, etc...
Everyone's collections looked great, so many hard to find items in one
room, it was a ER overload. 8*) There were a TON of trades going on
throughout the event, I even picked up the elusive Intellivision ECS and
Music Synthesizer thanks to Marc P (hope you're enjoying that stack of
2600 and Intellivision carts 8*)).
Around noon we decided to get started with the tournaments. We started
of with the Galaga coin-op graciously lent to us by TNT Amusements. It
was decided that each player would be given a 5 minute time limit and
the number of points he amounted would be placed against the other
opponents. God help me if I can remember the player's name, but with a
score of 122,000 he won by a landslide. 8*)
Around this time John Hardie whipped out the 5200 Tempest proto and
fired it up in MY 5200 (I'm so proud 8*)). While lacking hit detection,
it was a great game, and everyone was more than happy to try it out.
Next came the Tekken 3 Playstation tournament. I was hoping the
dominate this tournament (I'm really good at Tekken) but I was quickly
shut down in the second round. Marc won that tournament and walked away
with the prize.
Next came the Nintnedo 64 Goldeneye tournament. It was decided that it
would be 5 minute rounds of 1 on 1 with the Remote Mine set of weapons.
The first level of the Facility was chosed and we were set off
shooting. I dominated the first round, but then in the second I was
placed up against my friend Keith. He, as he always does, blew me away
in Goldeneye. A 3-0 killing spree ended my participation in that
tournament. Because we had an odd number of combatitants we had tho
have a 3 way match at the end. We placed it on a 10 minute match.
Keith thought he had this one in the bag, but newcomer Norm decided it
was his turn to win a tournament. With a well placed shot from the PP7
he ended the match in 1st place. Way to go Norm!
We took a break from tournaments for a while so everyone could stretch
their legs and get a soda. Next was the auctions...
The first few items were various items like Sean Kelly Multi-carts, the
SWed 2600 Berenstain Bears, an Atari multimedia CD (of which I won).
They were ALL great deals. After Dave auctioned off about 7 or 8 items
I decided to give Dave's voice a rest and auction off whatever anyone
else had to take care of. I got rid of a box full of misc Coleco
controllers, a CIB Intv Super Pro Football, and attempted to pawn off 3
delapidated Intv carts (Dig Dug, Pinball, and Super Pro Football), but
had no takers. Hardie just kept bringing up set after set of games he
wanted to auction off. All new and SWed. And of course his now
infamous 'Box of Assorted Crap' which included a Star Wars puzzle mug,
no collection is complete without it. 8*) The auction was great,
everyone got GREAT items at rock bottom prices.
After the auction ended, sadly a lot of people started to drift off for
the night, but a handful of about 15 stuck around. We continued the
tournaments next with Atari XE Defender. This was a great looking
title. I personally have never see it, but it looks terrific. The goal
of the Defender tourney was just rack up as many points before you lost
all your lives. With a score of over 300,000 Eric dominated the
tournament. He told me if I thought that was good I should have seen
him while he was warming up. 8*)
More and more people were dispersing, and only 8 people were left to
play in the 2600 Warlords tournament. As always, Warlord was great
fun. Great defense and quick moves were the skill for this one. But in
the end Eric once again dominated and won the prize.
By the time the last tournament rolled around, Space Invaders '91 on the
Genesis (well, Nomad actually) there were only 10 people left, and only
5 played. But after a rocky first game and an excuse that I didn't know
how to play, I played a second time and racked up a score close to
200,000. No one could touch me and I walked away the proud owner of my
very first Digital Press guide.
It was decided that since everyone was already leaving that
PhillyClassic would be cut short a day and end Saturday. Final
conversations and good-byes ended the night as Keith and myself packed
up my belongings and headed back to our little town of Fleetwood. Never
forgetting the time we had that night.

Everyone who attended, how did you enjoy it? Please post your story and
let everyone know how much a success the first PhillyClassic was. We're
hoping next year will be bigger and better!
--
ซค Chuck Whitby คป
*-->The Intellivision WebRing<--*

ง Note: E-Mail Address Has Changed! ง
*** Spam Guard In Use! Reply To: ***
*** intv...@worldnet.att.net ***

Dan

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
I had a great time at Philly Classic. David did a heck of a job organizing
the event. Between the trading and playing it was a pretty full day. I
don't post a lot of brags, but it seems like a good way of summing up the
day's highlights.

Brag #1: I played an Adventurevision!

Brag #2: I played the 5200 Tempest proto

Brag #3: Picked up a loose Frogger II and a shrink wrapped Pete Rose
Baseball, both for 2600

Brag #4: Sold enough spare games to purchase a Vectrex multi-cart. If
only they hadn't sold out. :-(

Brag #5: Picked up a Colecovision steering wheel

Brag #6: Got a free Tennis/Squash cart (complete) for the Studio II from
Mr. DP Guide himself, Joe Santulli. Nice guy. Thanks Joe.

Brag #7: Found good homes for a lot of Intellivision stuff that I didn't
have time or room for.

My best brag of all is for a find on the drive home, buts that's a separate
brag.

Dan

Jerry Jessop

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:24:35 GMT, Chuck Whitby
<intv...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

----- Ton's of stuff cut-----------

> Hampton Inn wouldn't let
>us stay because were under 21, bastages.

I'll go back to reading your review in a second, but is the above
correct? I assume you ARE over 18, a legal adult............and why
did they ask your age??

F Hampton Inn!

Jerry

Chuck Whitby

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
Exactly our question. They asked if either of us was over 21, we said
no we're 18. They said you had to be 21 to get a room. I'm going to
call tomorrow and check up on this. I hope they realize that I can sue
them for age discrimination.

Dan

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
I'm sure I'll never have a better brag, so here it goes.......

My small contribution to PhillyClassic was setting up my RCA Studio II was the
demo cart. I owned (at the time) about half of the Studio II catalog, but
only brought the demonstration cart to the show. I figured that few people
had seen the demo cart and the games are no fun to play anyway.

After talking with hardcore collectors at the show who don't have some of my
items, I felt pretty fortunate. I was ecstatic after receiving a boxed cart
that I needed (see previous post).

.... fast forward to the drive home

I was passing the "Circle 40" indoor flea on the drive home. I hadn't been
inside it for a few years, but I had a little time before my wife was
expecting me home. The first item I spotted was a boxed Odyssey 300. No
price on it, but it had a real funky smell. Pass.

I spotted a Ms. PacMan upright. This is the first arcade game I'd seen in a
flea or thrift store. The price seemed right at $150 until I took a second
look--$1,500. Guess I missed a zero. I moved on.

I stopped to poke around in an open box with some portable phone stuff on
top. I thought I recognized a familiar looking item about the size of a deck
of cards. It was a Studio II cart. I poked around some more and realized the
boxed was packed with Studio II carts (all boxed complete) and a console
plus.......the TV/power box. Got the lot for $10.

But that's not the brag. I suspected that this might give me a complete
Studio II collection. When I got home I pulled out the DP guide and checked
them off: Baseball...needed that; Biorhythem...needed that,
BlackJack...needed that, Gunfighter/Monship Battle...needed that, Space
War...needed that, Tennis/Squash...I just got this one this morning, TV
Schoolhouse...don't need that, Fun with Numbers...don't need that,
Bingo...don't see that one in the guide. Then it slowly sinks in. I FOUND A
TITLE NOT LISTED IN THE GUIDE!!! WOHOO! Sure its no proto, but a dream of
mine none the less.

Turns out that I still need Speedway/Tag and the diagnostic cart to complete
my collection. Anyone have these for trade?

Dan

Classic Gamer

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
In article <38FA4B96...@worldnet.att.net>, Chuck Whitby
<intv...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>There were a TON of trades going on
>throughout the event, I even picked up the elusive Intellivision ECS and
>Music Synthesizer thanks to Marc P (hope you're enjoying that stack of
>2600 and Intellivision carts 8*)).

I am indeed. I had absolutely no intention of selling/trading that computer and
keyboard but -
1) I never used the keyboard
2) You had some great trade fodder! :)

I'll probably spring for another ECS soon.

>Around noon we decided to get started with the tournaments. We started
>of with the Galaga coin-op graciously lent to us by TNT Amusements. It
>was decided that each player would be given a 5 minute time limit and
>the number of points he amounted would be placed against the other
>opponents. God help me if I can remember the player's name, but with a
>score of 122,000 he won by a landslide. 8*)

Jeff got this one(Adventurevision). He didn't even want to enter the
tournament! :)

>Around this time John Hardie whipped out the 5200 Tempest proto and
>fired it up in MY 5200 (I'm so proud 8*)). While lacking hit detection,
>it was a great game, and everyone was more than happy to try it out.
>Next came the Tekken 3 Playstation tournament. I was hoping the
>dominate this tournament (I'm really good at Tekken) but I was quickly
>shut down in the second round. Marc won that tournament and walked away
>with the prize.

I warned everyone that King ruled! :) Of course I found out later that beating
your friend(sorry...I'm VERY bad with names) in the first round was a fluke. He
KILLED me in every game afterwards. Guess I'm good under pressure. :)

I enh\joyed my PhillyClassic trip and I'll post my take on it when I don't have
to go to work in 5 minutes(like now). Thanks all!!

- Remove "bat" in address to reply
Check out my webpage at:
http://members.aol.com/ClassicGMR/index.html
"See pictures of my GAMING APARTMENT on my website!"

mr_m...@my-deja.com

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
I have to say that it has been a very cool convention. It was nice that
it was small where you can do some trading and get to know people
instead of rushing to hear guest speakers or what have you.

My favorite trade was 8 of my 2600 carts (mostly rares) for 5200 Space
Dungeon. I mean, good thing I found a blue label Enduro at a thrift
store :) Also bought some NES carts, 5200 games, Haunted House (Sears
rare, but I still wanted to play it) and the big ol' 5200. Man, now I
gotta find a RF/Power converter and a working joystick. Oh well, I play
most of my crap on emulators anyway.

Sigh...I suppose I gotta explain the Defender tournament. I had that
game since I was 13 on my 130XE but the truth is that I didn't care much
for it. Still when they set it up, I just wanted to try it out for old
time sakes. Wow, I was starting to get into it so I figure why not sign
up. But during the entire auction I kept playing that blasted game, I
mean I couldn't even stop if I wanted to. It kept pulling me in... The
final score of that, after someone else wanted to play, was around 2.5
million. I'm not making it up! But I didn't want to tell anyone cause,
well who would believe me? Still I got a nice blister on my hand from
gripping the stick too hard. :)

Anywho, I can't wait for the next PhillyClassic. Great work Chuck and
Dave!! :D

Eric Noss
a.k.a
Mr. Maddog