Forbes: Xbox 360 Has Nothing On Atari 2600

AirRa...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2005, 2:36:17 AM11/24/05
http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2005/11/23/microsoft-xbox-videogames-cx_el_1123oldgames.html?partner=yahootix

Xbox 360 Has Nothing On Atari 2600
Ed Lin, 11.23.05, 11:55 AM ET

NEW YORK - Has there ever been as confused a launch as the Xbox 360?

Microsoft offers gamers two different choices. One has a hard drive,
component display cable and a wireless controller. The other is a
stripped-down model that lacks a hard drive, has a composite cable and
a fixed-line controller.

Want the one with the hard drive but don't want (or need) the wireless
controller or component cable? Tough. Buy the composite cable and wired
controller separately.

On top of this enforced "freedom" of choice, retailers took it another
step and offered pre-orders on systems bundled with games, accessories
and even pre-paid game rentals.
Toys R Us , four variations: the Pro Players Bundle I and II, and the
Core Players Bundle I and II. These bundles are priced at $999.95.
Picking one of these bundles makes you a sucker, not a gamer.

The confusion may be intentional. Microsoft likely hoped to cover up
its lack of original games available at launch.

"The two editions allow consumers the flexibility to enter the
immersive, high-definition world of Xbox 360 gaming and build toward
the complete Xbox 360 entertainment experience," a Microsoft
representative said.

Ridge Racer 6? Project Gotham Racing 3? Do developers (and Microsoft)
lack so much faith in the new system that they have to recycle
repetitious-by-nature racing games? How embarrassing is it that The
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has been delayed to some point in 2006? How
embarrassing is it that the advertising blitz for that game had already
begun before the delay was announced?

It doesn't matter how many different faceplates a gamer can slap onto
the front of a system. Granted, the wood-grain edition looks more
interesting than another first-person shooter game, but unlike
computers, one doesn't sit at a desk in front of the system. Also, why
would Microsoft spend such time and money on an aspect that it
acknowledges its gamers will likely ignore? Ideally the system would
sit in the dark, outside of the glow of the television, as the gamer
ploughs on through the night.

The influence of movies and the movie industry has destroyed the gaming
field in recent years. Is it possible to play a game that doesn't have
tiresome cinematic introductions and cut scenes interspersed? Even more
disingenuous are the screen shots from those clips passed off as actual
scenes of game play.

The best gaming platform of all time is undoubtedly the Atari 2600.
What other system had or will have as wide a variety of games that were
genre-less (Human Cannonball and Lost Luggage, for example)? What other
system will have the permanence of Atari 2600 games, which are
available on every modern platform in the form of anthologies and as
mobile games?

The Atari 2600 controllers--the joystick and the paddle--each only had
one button. That spoke to the elegant simplicity of gaming. A game that
requires a controller with one analog and one digital direction stick
and ten buttons is certainly more complex, but it's not more fun to
play. The Apple Computer Macintosh mouse had only one button for 20
years, yet, it was always easier to use than a PC mouse. Even the new
multi-button Mighty Mouse bends to the use of one button.

In fact, the most enduring videogame in the American collective
consciousness, Pac-Man, doesn't even require buttons. And will anybody
ever record a song, "Ridge Racer 6 Fever"?

The best title ever made in the history of U.S. videogaming was
DragonStomper. It will never be surpassed because games are no longer
comprised of the labor and love of one person. Games no longer have the
consistent vision of a single artist/programmer, nor the dignity to end
with a finality to close off all sequels. Hats off to DragonStomper
creator Stephen Landrum!

DragonStomper was innovative for its graphics (which are still charming
today) and music cues. "Taps" played when the player was killed; "I'm
in the Money" chimed out when booty was picked off a fallen foe. There
were also multiple ways to solve problems. One could descend to the
dragon's lair on a rope or simply jump down (and absorb some damage).

It was simple, due to Landrum's ingenious menu system, and infinitely
replayable, due to randomized monsters and items. The game, along with
the Supercharger memory charger needed to play it, was also a huge risk
to produce. In today's conservative game-publishing environment, there
is no way DragonStomper could have been done today, unless it was tied
in with the Lord of the Rings franchise. Certainly, it wouldn't have
been as well executed.

Isn't that the point to gaming, to have fun? How much more
incrementally fun is Ridge Racer 6 than Ridge Racer 5, or even the
original Ridge Racer? Are things even more fun when manufacturers bring
out different iterations of the very hardware you play on?

If anything, the Xbox 360 is aptly named: Microsoft is trying to give
gamers the spin.

Blig Merk

Nov 24, 2005, 4:33:13 AM11/24/05
This writer clearly is paid off by Sony.

Complaining of rehashes? Is'nt that every console ever launched?
Surely Kameo is original?!!! Perfect Dark Zero is new to the format
toooo!!!!!!!!1

MrBiggles

Nov 24, 2005, 2:18:01 PM11/24/05
The article spews propaganda and a lack of critical analysis.

MrBiggles

Nov 24, 2005, 2:20:57 PM11/24/05
If you want to email the author, send an email to: el...@forbes.net

Scott S

Nov 24, 2005, 9:12:00 PM11/24/05
The author raises some valid questions (the whole forced-bundled packages is
def not cool), but the "limited number of consoles at launch" deal is pretty
common practice at this point. Yeah, Dragonstomper is a great game, but he
goes on to rave about it for 3 paragraphs. And he uses Human Cannonball as
an example of how original games used to be, when it's a better example of
horrible they can be.

<AirRa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

VastFear

Nov 24, 2005, 11:57:33 PM11/24/05
I am not sure about his game choices for Atari but he is right ... Atari
2600 will always reign...

Screen shots from games are almost always from the movie clips I been saying
that since the PC 486 days.... thinkin wow too bad the game play doesn't
look like that.... although Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube had some missions
that were like playing an animated movie.

The games for the classic systems and games at the arcades back in the 80's
were original... you don't get that now as often. The arcade had Zoo
Keeper, Donkey Kong, Popeye, Dragon's Lair.... now they have .... (if you
can find an arcade open still) Virtual Deluxe Fighting 9, Mortal Kombat
20... and not a pinball machine in sight. And what do we play when we go to
the arcade? Galaga... :)

Very true about if people want the state of the art graphics then why do the
new systems have the classic games for purchase. Why do people buy these
arcade / Atari greatest hits games when they could own the original system
and play it like it was meant to be played or get the MAME emulator and get
games for umm free?

When a new system comes out whats up with all the racing / fighting / sports
games... kinda like porno you seen 1 you seen them all right? :)

I am a huge fan of Resident Evil / Zelda / GTA series so 100 more sequals is
ok by me. Personally I wish Nintendo would keep release new Zeldas for the
original Nintendo... I am currently playing Zelda: Outlands that I purchased
on cartridge format online and its amazing (and quite challenging it 'will'
make you say bad words outloud!)

I still think overall Gamecube is the best yet when looking at the last few
years though I am not too sure about the Nintendo Revolutions controllers
those should of been an option instead of 'this is what you get'.

Oh I am sorry was I ranting?

Joerg Jaeger

Nov 25, 2005, 1:39:51 AM11/25/05
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:57:33 -0600, "VastFear" <vast...@csinet.net>
wrote:

>original Nintendo... I am currently playing Zelda: Outlands that I purchased

Just curious. Which game is this? Did i miss one Zelda title?

jorda...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2005, 2:02:39 AM11/25/05
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite so stupid in the
straight press:

"How embarrassing is it that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has been
delayed to some point in 2006?"

It would be embarassing if it were just the 360 version that was
delayed, but the PC version has been delayed as well and the game comes
from a publisher known for delays.

"Is it possible to play a game that doesn't have tiresome cinematic
introductions and cut scenes interspersed?"

It's called "plot" and "story". Something that, oh, Elder Scrolls IV:
Oblivion is going to require.

"The best gaming platform of all time is undoubtedly the Atari 2600.
What other system had or will have as wide a variety of games that were
genre-less (Human Cannonball and Lost Luggage, for example)? What other
system will have the permanence of Atari 2600 games, which are
available on every modern platform in the form of anthologies and as
mobile games?"

The NES?

"The Atari 2600 controllers--the joystick and the paddle--each only had
one button. That spoke to the elegant simplicity of gaming. A game that
requires a controller with one analog and one digital direction stick
and ten buttons is certainly more complex, but it's not more fun to
play. The Apple Computer Macintosh mouse had only one button for 20
years, yet, it was always easier to use than a PC mouse. Even the new
multi-button Mighty Mouse bends to the use of one button."

None of the current consoles feature a single action button, gamers
expect more.

"The best title ever made in the history of U.S. videogaming was
DragonStomper."

I've been a gamer from the very beginning and I've never heard of
"DragonStomper". Aha, found it on Google. It was an Atari 2600 game
that required the StarPath casette tape adaptor. I actually had one of
those, but I don't recall ever owning DragonStomper.

- Jordan

steele

Nov 25, 2005, 10:33:27 AM11/25/05
So the genius bashes racing games for their repetitive gameplay (which
isn't really true, unless we're speaking of the likes of Outrun) but
goes on to praise the Atari 2600? I loved my Atari 2600, but games
don't get more repetitive than that.

steele

Nov 25, 2005, 10:37:00 AM11/25/05

Blig Merk wrote:
> This writer clearly is paid off by Sony.

Actually, the way he was bitching about games being essentially the
same as their predecessors, I was expecting him to start gushing over
the Nintendo Revolution any minute. I was surprised it wasn't even
mentioned.

ultibloo...@yahoo.com

Nov 25, 2005, 5:12:55 PM11/25/05
VastFear wrote:
> The arcade had Zoo
> Keeper, Donkey Kong, Popeye, Dragon's Lair.... now they have .... (if you
> can find an arcade open still) Virtual Deluxe Fighting 9, Mortal Kombat
> 20... and not a pinball machine in sight. And what do we play when we go to
> the arcade? Galaga... :)

Har, that's exactly right. Whenever I happen by someplace that has some
classic games around I'm sure to give Galaga and Ms. Pac-man a spin.
Unfortunately, however, that's because they're usually the only classic
arcade games I ever see that are still playable. Must be testament to
their manufacturing quality though, because they sure weren't unpopular
games in their time.

richar...@hotmail.com

Nov 25, 2005, 8:53:53 PM11/25/05
Plug in PS3 in here, and you can do the same, minus the multiple
bundles. Shoot, we don't even know if the PS3 won't have them. It is
very possible.

This dude is stuck in a time warp. He needs to move on and find some
new stuff. This dude might of been Satan's Hollow who wrote in one of
the retro newsgroup that the Atart 2600 is all one ever needed for
their videogame needs.

- Richard Hutnik

Aaron J. Bossig

Nov 25, 2005, 11:54:04 PM11/25/05

Aaron J. Bossig

Nov 25, 2005, 11:55:44 PM11/25/05
"VastFear" <vast...@csinet.net> wrote in

> I still think overall Gamecube is the best yet when looking at the
> last few years though I am not too sure about the Nintendo Revolutions
> controllers those should of been an option instead of 'this is what
> you get'.

Well, the Revolution is supposedly fully compatible with GameCube
controllers. This leaves Nintendo an "easy out" if the gaming public
rejects the new designs.

VastFear

Nov 26, 2005, 7:01:48 PM11/26/05
It's a complete redesign of the original Zelda

New maps/dungeons/storyline... and a lot more challenging.

Good stuff was well worth the $25 to have it put on cartridge format!

"Joerg Jaeger" <yest...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Joerg Jaeger

Nov 27, 2005, 2:51:14 AM11/27/05
Have to search for the title. Did not make click anywhere? :)
Is it available for the GC?

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:01:48 -0600, "VastFear" <vast...@csinet.net>

jt august

Nov 27, 2005, 9:22:50 AM11/27/05
In article <Xkohf.4865$pF.1424@fed1read04>,
MrBiggles <mrbigg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The article spews propaganda and a lack of critical analysis.

A lot of the replies complaining about this article are likely from the
xbox camp. The article is looking at the business of x-box and in
future tense the ps/3. He sited some games from over twenty years ago,
although for his argument, he over detailed his sitings, where he could
have brought forth additional examples.

But what he was emphasizing is that the x-box release is marketed hard
on the name, offers disturbing little innovation on the content level,
is priced incredibly high, and the only truly creative facets in the
initial release is some cosmetic components which many gamers - if not
most - don't really care about.

Of course, the loyalty of the most hard-core x-box fans will ensure the
launch is successful, and that is what MS wants in the initial wave, so
they're happy.

jt

jt august

Nov 27, 2005, 10:38:43 AM11/27/05
"steele" <ilooo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

But Atari did have a lot of firsts, since there was nothing
(effectively) before it.

jt

VastFear

Nov 27, 2005, 7:40:28 PM11/27/05
I bought my cartridge here:
http://www.gamereproductions.com/

Complete information about the game and download rom here:
http://rha.cymoro.com/zelda3c/ZeldaC/

Get it on cartridge format though and relive the experience! It's awesome...
and quite difficult.

VastFear

"Joerg Jaeger" <yest...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Joerg Jaeger

Nov 28, 2005, 1:40:16 AM11/28/05
Thanks again :)

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:40:28 -0600, "VastFear" <vast...@csinet.net>

cosmo_...@rocketmail.com

Nov 30, 2005, 3:03:52 PM11/30/05

> Har, that's exactly right. Whenever I happen by someplace that has some
> classic games around I'm sure to give Galaga and Ms. Pac-man a spin.
> Unfortunately, however, that's because they're usually the only classic
> arcade games I ever see that are still playable. Must be testament to
> their manufacturing quality though, because they sure weren't unpopular
> games in their time.

I'm guessing the Ms. Pac's and Galagas you are playing in the arcades
are relatively new machines, not originals from the early 1980's. They
are still producing/selling these new. So I wouldn't take it as a
testament to their manufacturing quality as much as a testament to
their universal appeal for games of all ages.

Message has been deleted