EVIG

Sean Franklin

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

What is EVIG? How can you get involved?

EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate
games to under-age children to STOP. We support the development of
educational and intelligent games, such as Cognitive Technology's Trig
Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.

Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
and ordering something like this?

It's our aim to put an end to this clear abuse of freedom of speech. We
have committments from several of this coast's larger distributors to
discontinue the sale of products to retail stores that refuse to
cooperate. Send email to sd...@hampshire.edu to find out how you can
help!
--

E - nd
V - iolence

-= contact sd...@hampshire.edu for more info. =-

Circle_Jerk

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

I dont know have you ever heard of Free Speech, includes making violent and
bloody games. EVIG stands for End Violence In Gaming. If you don't like
violence in games than HEY I have a suggestion DONT f******* BUY IT. What
harm can a game like doom be to a 15 year old, I mean really get a life
broham. Violence in games isnt the problem with kids today, it's violence
in reality thats the problem. Instead of wasting your time trying to stop
kids from playing violent games you should be at your local center for
abused and neglected children and be talking with them about the dangers of
gangs and drugs etc. thats all. Games dont hurt people, people hurt people.
I have a 6 year old girl cousin who loves to play Mortal Kombat. Does this
mean that in real life she trys to kick my ass, no ofcourse not, your whole
organization is absurd. No offense, thats what I think.
From
Circle Jerk!

Sean Franklin <sd...@hampshire.edu> wrote in article
<32AC3A...@hampshire.edu>...

Dman

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

Sean Franklin <sd...@hampshire.edu> wrote in article
<32AC3A...@hampshire.edu>...
> What is EVIG? How can you get involved?

> (much crap deleted...)

> EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
> with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
> retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate
> games to under-age children to STOP. We support the development of
> educational and intelligent games, such as Cognitive Technology's Trig
> Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.

> -= contact sd...@hampshire.edu for more info. =-

Why don't you do us all a favor and watch your own kids rather than insist
the government be their parents for you. A parenting task as simple as
making sure kids aren't "borrowing credit cards" from you and playing
games, etc should not be too hard of a task for any halfway competent
parent............get a life loser!!
(Sorry about keeping this alive, but these types of post tick me off!!!!)

Joel Lingenfelter

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

>Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
>minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
>What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
>and ordering something like this?

You couldn't have picked a worse example. This is probably one of the most
white-bread non-offensive games out there.

I hope you enjoy playing it thought, it's a great game!

Joel

PS - Marathon 2 is not inappropriate for minors. Sure, maybe kids under 13
would be adversely affected by a game such as this, but then again, how
many kids under 13 have credit cards and buying power? They want Mario,
not Doom...

| Joel Lingenfelter
-=+=-
| Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be
| transformed by the renewing of your mind. - Romans 12:2a

Tarantula

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

Sean Franklin wrote:

> Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
> minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
> What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
> and ordering something like this?

Proper parents.

--
_________________
// \\

Phaedrus

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

In article <32AC3A...@hampshire.edu>,

Sean Franklin <sd...@hampshire.edu> wrote:
>What is EVIG? How can you get involved?

For those who are not familiar with the terms used in press releases
like this, a handy translation is provided.

>EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
>with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
>retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate
>games to under-age children to STOP.

"EVIG is a grass-roots organization dedicated to the proposition that
life would be so much simpler if we didn't have these troublesome _choices_."

> We support the development of
>educational and intelligent games, such as Cognitive Technology's Trig
>Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.

"We oppose the development of games unsuitable for the lowest common
denominator."

>Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
>minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
>What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
>and ordering something like this?

"We clearly should not be expected to prevent our children from committing
state and federal crimes such as credit card fraud. It should be the job of
business and the government to take over the parental role from us, and
prevent our children from accessing anything we would disapprove of. We
should not have to exercise control over our children; that should be everyone
else's job."

>It's our aim to put an end to this clear abuse of freedom of speech.

"Naturally, anything we disapprove of is unfit for Constitutional
protection. When the founding fathers talked about 'freedom of speech', what
they meant was 'freedom of speech we like'."

> We
>have committments from several of this coast's larger distributors to
>discontinue the sale of products to retail stores that refuse to
>cooperate.

"We have no hope of winning an open exchange of ideas, so we'll just
make trouble for anyone who disagrees with us. Hopefully they'll cave, or
at least humor us by saying they're caving."

> Send email to sd...@hampshire.edu to find out how you can
>help!

"Because we all know, the problems with our kids can't be _our_ fault,
and videogames make as good a scapegoat as any."

>E - nd
>V - iolence
>I - n
>G - aming

"And don't forget, we're only trying to stop sales to _children_. Don't
let the name of my--er, our 'organization' cause you to doubt our sincerity in
the least."

--
\o\ If you're interested in books/stories with transformation themes, \o\
/o/ try <URL:http://www.halcyon.com/phaedrus/translist/translist.html>. /o/

Jeff Marks

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

Sean Franklin wrote:

> What is EVIG? How can you get involved?
>
> EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
> with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
> retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate
> games to under-age children to STOP. We support the development of

> educational and intelligent games, such as Cognitive Technology's Trig
> Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.
>
> Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
> minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
> What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
> and ordering something like this?
>
> It's our aim to put an end to this clear abuse of freedom of speech. We

> have committments from several of this coast's larger distributors to
> discontinue the sale of products to retail stores that refuse to
> cooperate. Send email to sd...@hampshire.edu to find out how you can
> help!
> --

> E - nd
> V - iolence
> I - n
> G - aming
>
> -= contact sd...@hampshire.edu for more info. =-

As the head of the Videogame division of M.S. Distributing in Chicago
Il, I would never agree to abide to your ideals of free speech. We buy
the product from the manufacturer and then sell to informed buisness
people. What they do with the product is thier buisness, and to
withhold sales based on whom they sell/rent the product to is redicules.
You only support free speech and freedom by opening doors, not closing
them.

Jeff Marks
M.S. Distributing
msdist.com

have clue--will travel

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

In article <32AC3A...@hampshire.edu>,

Sean Franklin <sd...@hampshire.edu> wrote:
>What is EVIG? How can you get involved?
>
>EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
>with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
>retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate
>games to under-age children to STOP.

EVISCERATE (End Victorian Intimidation; Stop Censorship Efforts; Ratings
Aren't That Essential) is a grass-roots organization that will support those
software, music, publishing and other mass-media product distributors
who refuse to let one group's opinions dictate what should be available
to everyone else, who hold the notion that 15-year-olds (much like
9-year-olds, 39-year-olds and 99-year-olds) are capable of making their
own informed decisions about whether or not such things are harmful or
thought-provoking, and generally lampoon the efforts of the crusaders
trying to turn America in a neatly packaged Norman Rockwell landscape.

>We support the development of
>educational and intelligent games, such as Cognitive Technology's Trig
>Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.

EVISCERATE also supports the development of educational and intelligent games.
It is important for humans (young and old alike) to use their brains,
learn and continue to learn until they're finally cut down by the Runaway
Mack Truck of Fate. Since the learning process involves encountering
multiple points of view and both positive and negative experiences, it is
essential that 'sugarcoating' of an industry -- any industry -- be considered
a bad thing. A person does not fully appreciate sweetness if he or she
has never tasted anything bitter.

However, EVISCERATE also recognizes the basic human need to kick back,
stick a hatpin through each frontal lobe and enjoy some basic R-complex
mindless mayhem on a regular basis. Therefore, the development of intense,
vicious, hard-driving, techno-soundtracked, body-part-splattering, arousing,
stimulating, ass-kicking, primal-scream-inducing adrenaline-fests is to
be encouraged at all costs.

>Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
>minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!

It could be that the telephone operator recognized that your voice was
not that of a fifteen-year-old. Assuming, of course, that you are not a
fifteen-year-old.

>What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
>and ordering something like this?

Spending more time teaching kids what's right and what's wrong, instead
of trying to remove anything that fails your moral litmus test from
their path and assuming that they're going to steal your credit card and
order Tecmo's Deception, a White Zombie album and a Playmate of the Month video
as soon as they see the parents' backs are turned.

Or ordering it for him (or renting it, if you don't want to spend the cash)
so that the child can see what it is that he'd be getting into, get bored with
it and move on to some QUALITY carnage and mayhem like Metal Slug.

>It's our aim to put an end to this clear abuse of freedom of speech.

Pardon my cynical chuckle.

The 'abuse of freedom of speech' (more freedom of expression than of speech
in this case, of course) stems solely from the fact that you and your group
don't like the speech in question. To which EVISCERATE's overall reaction
is: "and?"

As the founder of EVISCERATE, I don't like your statements as found in the
justification in impeding your efforts with wit and support for clear-thinking
developers and distributors as EVIG does for its purpose in life.

Share and enjoy.

>We have committments from several of this coast's larger distributors to
>discontinue the sale of products to retail stores that refuse to
>cooperate. Send email to sd...@hampshire.edu to find out how you can
>help!

Which means it's up to you, the consumer, to support EVISCERATE by calling
retail stores, calling distributors, calling developers and requesting
(nay, demanding) the products that you desire. Let them know who the real
power behind the throne is -- the people who pay the money that goes into
_their_ pockets. Refuse to buy from stores that _do_ dictate "what's right
and what's wrong." And when zealotry emerges from the dark corners of
Mayberry like this, combat it with the most effective tactic; swift and
blinding violen^H^H^H^H^H^Houtright ridicule.

Further postings as events warrant. Follow-ups redirected.

---jeff.
Grand Poobah and Pipebomb Launcher,
EVISCERATE

--
--- If you look very, very closely, you can see Edward R. Murrow. ---
http://www.netaxs.com/~vsp/ -- the usual array of cartlists and crap.

David Blume

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

Sean Franklin wrote:

> What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card

> and ordering something like [violent Marathon II].

His parent? :-) Did I get it? Did I?

If I were said parent, I'd be mad about the credit card fraud,
not Marathon II. My 15 year old would be allowed to buy Marathon
II with his own money...

--David

Crisis

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96
to sd...@hampshire.edu

> EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
> with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
> retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate
> games to under-age children to STOP.

What do you think the video game rating system is for?
Judging how good the graphics are? Seriously, I don't
get why you don't realize that there *is* a rating
system out there. It can work if parents are willing
to accept it. I don't see how the game companies are
responsible if little Timmy's mom ignores the "M" rating
on a Mortal Kombat 3 box.

> We support the development of educational and intelligent games, such
> as Cognitive Technology's Trig Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.

That's all well and good, but if the entire market consisted of
these sorts of games, the market would crash something fierce.
We mature gamers don't want something like Putt-Putt goes to
Happy Land.

> Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
> minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!

You don't say. The companies need to treat the rating system more
seriously. If they did, this wouldn't be a problem.

> What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card

> and ordering something like this?

You're saying that a 15 year old would be scarred by Marathon?
Good grief, I've known people younger than that that handle
Resident Evil without any problems that a grown adult wouldn't
get. A seven year old, on the other hand would get nightmares
for a month, if not two.

> It's our aim to put an end to this clear abuse of freedom of speech.

*sigh* You don't get it. Not everyone who playes video games is
eight years old. Most of us can handle this kind of stuff. Just
because Johnny got nightmares from playing Quake and Doom doesn't
give you any right to ruin it for the rest of us. As far as little
kids are concerned, yes, they shouldn't play excessivly bloody
games, and yes, educational software is a good idea for them,
but we're not eight years old, and we don't get fazed much by
videogame violence.

> We have committments from several of this coast's larger distributors to
> discontinue the sale of products to retail stores that refuse to
> cooperate.

Let's see if I understand this right -- you're getting these
companies not to sell bloody games (or otherwise) to retail
stores who *don't* co-operate, and those that do co-operate
don't get bloody games anyways? Well, I must admit, that's
a pretty good plan, but first of all, all of my statements
about not having any right to ruin it for the older gamers
apply here, and second of all, good luck getting companies
who make bloody games to co-operate with *that* plan. They'll
never, ever co-operate, believe me.

> Send email to sd...@hampshire.edu to find out how you can
> help!

> --
>
> E - nd
> V - iolence
> I - n
> G - aming
>
> -= contact sd...@hampshire.edu for more info. =-

/ |\ | / | / "I find life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone's
\ |\ | / | / expectations." -Calvin & Hobbes

Curt Warner

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

For one thing, that's the single stupidest acronym I've EVER seen.
Secondly, who gives a fuck? Well, the government, Ron Edwards, you...
everyone else? While you're putting up posts for a dumb cause, we're
being eaten by zombies, torching opponents in battle, ripping out
spleens and all that stuff. AND IT'S FUN! Not like it's gonna make me
kill someone in real life...
--
-Curt Warner

//////// ////// // \\treme
// /// // // \\treme
// /// //// // \\treme
///// // \\//treme
// ////// \\ //treme
// \\ \\treme
//
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/2320
E-mail cur...@internetmci.com
To join PSXtreme E-mail curt....@deathsdoor.com

"Can someone point me to the bathroom?"

Charles Doane

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

blake fischer wrote:

> > Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
> > minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
> > What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
> > and ordering something like this?
>
> If their stealing their parents credit card to buy this game wouldn't it
> be more appropriate to form a group - ESC- end stolen credit?? I think
> that the parents need to be responsible- not some outside group because,
> lets face it, my views don't correspond with yours.
>
> --
> ----- Blake The STU *************************
> "Backing out of the driveway, Mr. Peabody suddenly brought his car
> to a stop. He had already heard a peculiar "thump," and now those
> flattened but familiar looking glasses further intrigued him"
> ************************* STU'n In '96 -----
> ---END TRANSMISSION---

EVIG (end violence in games) is obviously a JOKE. Read the original. 'We
ordered...as a test' and then 'company didn't even ask my age'. A
one-person organization, and mislead at that. Really, think about it.
EVIG is planning Supply-side enforcement. That has never worked, never
will. Hookers still hook, drug dealers still deal, even though it's
illegal. It's because there are customers.If you are SERIOUS about
stopping it, hit the customers. HARD. If a court found a parent bought a
child drugs, booze, pornography or hookers, the penalty would be swift
and certain, including loss of custody, and jail time for endangering a
minor. EVIG isn't serious. If they (he) were, parents would be going to
jail left and right for buying adult-only materials (games) for children.
Big Brother watches too closely, I think. EVIG is a pathetic joke, poorly
thought out, badly executed, and misdirected.
--
eppur si muove... 'and yet it does move'... Galileo,
after recanting his assertion of the Earth's motion.

Crisis

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

Charles Doane wrote:

> EVIG (end violence in games) is obviously a JOKE. Read the original. 'We
> ordered...as a test' and then 'company didn't even ask my age'. A
> one-person organization, and mislead at that.

Didn't think about that...kinda goes to show just how many people
agree with him :)

> Really, think about it. EVIG is planning Supply-side enforcement.
> That has never worked, never will. Hookers still hook, drug dealers
> still deal, even though it's illegal. It's because there are
> customers.

Never thought about that either. Also, under EVIG's rules, it
would be illegal not only for kids to buy games like Doom,
but it would be illegal for *everyone*. That is why I have a
problem with it -- not because they don't want six year olds
to play Resident Evil, which IMO is a good idea -- but because
they apparently think twenty-somethings can't handle Mortal
Kombat, or else that everyone who playes video games is under
10, the latter being a simply uneducated belief, and the
former being complete BS.

> If you are SERIOUS about stopping it, hit the customers.
> HARD. If a court found a parent bought a child drugs, booze,
> pornography or hookers, the penalty would be swift and certain,
> including loss of custody, and jail time for endangering a minor.

> EVIG isn't serious. If they (he) were, parents would be going to
> jail left and right for buying adult-only materials (games) for children.

I think they're serious, but they will never, I repeat, *never*
be able to make bloody games illegal for kids. If there are
ever going to be pornographic games made, then they would fall
in to the same category as the mags and thus they really should
be illegal for minors, but I really don't think that anyone
ought to go around cracking down on 15 year olds just because
they tried to buy Resident Evil. It just isn't right.

> Big Brother watches too closely, I think. EVIG is a pathetic joke, poorly
> thought out, badly executed, and misdirected.

I don't think EVIG is literally a joke, but it is incredibly
stupid. Also, it's obviously not created by *anyone* who actually
*playes* games, or else (t)he(y) would A) realize our position and
B) know what they're talking about.

> eppur si muove... 'and yet it does move'... Galileo,
> after recanting his assertion of the Earth's motion.

/ |\ | / | / "Does anybody have any unproductive yet insightful
\ |\ | / | / comments to show how smart they are?" -Dilbert

blake fischer

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

Stephan A. Manchir

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

"Dman" <Dun...@ix.netcom.com> wrote, well, typed, actually (unless
they have a newton or other pen based computer, but that's not
important right now, oh, or voice recognition):

>Sean Franklin <sd...@hampshire.edu> wrote in article
><32AC3A...@hampshire.edu>...

>> What is EVIG? How can you get involved?

>> (much crap deleted...)

>> EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
>> with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
>> retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate

>> games to under-age children to STOP. We support the development of

>> educational and intelligent games, such as Cognitive Technology's Trig
>> Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.

>> -= contact sd...@hampshire.edu for more info. =-
>>

>Why don't you do us all a favor and watch your own kids rather than insist
>the government be their parents for you. A parenting task as simple as
>making sure kids aren't "borrowing credit cards" from you and playing
>games, etc should not be too hard of a task for any halfway competent
>parent............get a life loser!!
>(Sorry about keeping this alive, but these types of post tick me off!!!!)

And so do these types. You can make a point without name calling, it
pretty much makes everything else you say look like so much drivel.

"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies
in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
sa...@po.cwru.edu http://k2.scl.cwru.edu/~sam14

Robert A. Jung

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

In article <32AC3A...@hampshire.edu> Sean Franklin <sd...@hampshire.edu> writes:
>EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
>with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
>retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate
>games to under-age children to STOP. We support the development of
>educational and intelligent games, such as Cognitive Technology's Trig
>Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.

Count me out. I support responsible parents who monitor what their kids
play and read and watch and listen. I have no respect for lazy folks who
want parental groups or government regulations to raise their children in
their place.

--R.J.
B-)

//////////////////////////////////////|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Send whatevers to rj...@netcom.com | If it has pixels, I'm for it.
--------------------------------------+------------------------------Lynx up!
"You weren't chosen because you are the best pilot in the Air Force. You were
chosen because you are the class clown and frankly, you're expendable."

Jeremy Haines

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

Am I the only one to notice that "EVIG" is "give" spelled
backwards? How thoroughly appropriate...
- Jer

| Atheist, Computerist, Dysteleologist |
| The Bruce Dickinson / Skunkworks Page |
| http://powered.cs.yale.edu:8000/~haines/skunkworks.html |

The Piper

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

I and many others who can program games will spend the REST OF OUR LIVES placing
OBSCENE, PORNOGRAPHIC, GRAPHICALLY GORY PICTURES. in every game we create! WE
PROMISE to hide them in even the most innocuous disney/kiddie titles...which
YOUR KIDS will find out the CODES for and as soon as you leave the room they
will see big bouncing titties on bitches which get blown away by satan in a gory
hellraiser type of fashion. you are just scratching the icebergs tip, and you
will never succeed in you NAZI CENSORSHIP YOU FUCKING WORTHLESS WASTE OF HUMAN
FLESH..

EAT SHIT AND DIE

Sean Franklin <sd...@hampshire.edu> spewed forth:

}What is EVIG? How can you get involved?
}

[...]

}--
}
}E - nd
}V - iolence
}I - n
}G - aming
}
}
}

Bill Blake

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

Maybe you should try to be a resposible parent rather than trying to
"ban" something you jerk! Have you burned any good books lately?
Better yet, if you don't like violent video games don't play them
or even better sell your computer so people like us don't have to listen
to your pathetic whining. Get a life or rent one for a while at least.
Well, on the up side no one is going to join your ridiculous group!

Justin Pinnow

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

The Piper wrote:

> I and many others who can program games will spend the REST OF OUR LIVES placing
> OBSCENE, PORNOGRAPHIC, GRAPHICALLY GORY PICTURES. in every game we create! WE
> PROMISE to hide them in even the most innocuous disney/kiddie titles...which
> YOUR KIDS will find out the CODES for and as soon as you leave the room they
> will see big bouncing titties on bitches which get blown away by satan in a gory
> hellraiser type of fashion. you are just scratching the icebergs tip, and you
> will never succeed in you NAZI CENSORSHIP YOU FUCKING WORTHLESS WASTE OF HUMAN
> FLESH..
>
> EAT SHIT AND DIE

That's a bit severe, don't you think? Sheesh. Someone expresses their
opinion on something you disagree with, and you go ballistic on them.
Get a grip.

Justin Pinnow
jpi...@umich.edu

Carble

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

> Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
> minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
> What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
> and ordering something like this?

I wouldn't worry about a kid taking their parents' credit card and
ordering games, its something your parents would question at the end of
the month. Besides a pre-puberty child won't be able to claim that he is
Mr. Smith.

I would worry more about the cash flying around everyones' house, where
your kid could easily find a couple of bucks to buy a a couple of
joints.

=) Carble
--

Visit My little homepage
for pictures of Japanese Games

Herman McClain

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

I say to The Piper, MORE POWER TO YOU!
Parents need to take more responsibility
in controlling they're kids. Otherwise,
don't have any!

Carl-Henrik

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

Sean Franklin wrote:
> EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
> with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
> retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate

How can a retailer determine violence content in ALL games in
distribution? A retailer could not possibly be required to play
through _ALL_ games on the market or read _ALL_ reviews and strategy
guides before selling a game marketed towards so called "inappropriate
age groups". Or is this what you propose? And besides, what is objective
content of games varies from group to group, depending on religious
conviction, nationality, person being American. Some may find it
objective
to see women without a fully covered body (i.e. even images of the face
or
feet would be objective).

> games to under-age children to STOP. We support the development of
> educational and intelligent games, such as Cognitive Technology's Trig
> Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.

And these would be the only sort of game that would be approved of by
EVIG? I find it difficult to believe that they would suit the gameplay
taste of everyone..

> Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
> minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!

As of today, noone can deny anyone the purchase of a piece of software.
You can argue that you only purchase a set of data which you do not
need to specify the exact use of.

Evig is also a Swedish word which means "For ever" which in this
situation
is kind of amusing.. That is how long you'd have to fight for preventing
these kinds of software on the market.

I would recommend showing more support to SPA and ELSPA in their
attempts
to achieve the same thing in moderation. They represent the industry
that
publishes the software availiable for purchase. So far their major
achievement is to put age recommendations on console games and some
computer
games (voluntary age recommendation). These recommendations are supposed
to help parents choose a game suited for their child.

/Carl

Canberra Design Centre

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

The Piper wrote:

> I and many others who can program games will spend the REST OF OUR LIVES placing
> OBSCENE, PORNOGRAPHIC, GRAPHICALLY GORY PICTURES. in every game we create! WE
> PROMISE to hide them in even the most innocuous disney/kiddie titles...which
> YOUR KIDS will find out the CODES for and as soon as you leave the room they
> will see big bouncing titties on bitches which get blown away by satan in a gory
> hellraiser type of fashion. you are just scratching the icebergs tip, and you
> will never succeed in you NAZI CENSORSHIP YOU FUCKING WORTHLESS WASTE OF HUMAN
> FLESH..
>
> EAT SHIT AND DIE

Can you send me a possible release date for your "big bouncing titties on bitches,
being blown away by Satan" type game.

Jaw

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

Canberra Design Centre <Cade...@moore.com.au> wrote in article
<32AE95...@moore.com.au>...

ROTFL !! Yeah, I wanna buy this game too. Oh and if you haven't finished
coding the game, please put in some deformed children to torture. And some
sodomy. Yes, that'll do nicely. ;-)

Jaw.

Justin Pinnow

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

Herman McClain wrote:

> Justin Pinnow wrote:
> >
> > The Piper wrote:
> > >
> > > I and many others who can program games will spend the REST OF OUR LIVES placing
> > > OBSCENE, PORNOGRAPHIC, GRAPHICALLY GORY PICTURES. in every game we create! WE
> > > PROMISE to hide them in even the most innocuous disney/kiddie titles...which
> > > YOUR KIDS will find out the CODES for and as soon as you leave the room they
> > > will see big bouncing titties on bitches which get blown away by satan in a gory
> > > hellraiser type of fashion. you are just scratching the icebergs tip, and you
> > > will never succeed in you NAZI CENSORSHIP YOU FUCKING WORTHLESS WASTE OF HUMAN
> > > FLESH..
> > >
> > > EAT SHIT AND DIE
> >
> > That's a bit severe, don't you think? Sheesh. Someone expresses their
> > opinion on something you disagree with, and you go ballistic on them.
> > Get a grip.
> >
> > --
> > _____________________________________________________________________________
> > Justin Pinnow
> > jpi...@umich.edu
>
> I say to The Piper, MORE POWER TO YOU!
> Parents need to take more responsibility
> in controlling they're kids. Otherwise,
> don't have any!

I am not disagreeing with that. However, I have a problem with people
going ballistic over the opinions they don't agree with. It's childish.

Justin

Poom Nukulkij

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

<sd...@hampshire.edu> wrote:

> What is EVIG? How can you get involved?
>

> EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
> with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
> retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate

> games to under-age children to STOP. We support the development of
> educational and intelligent games, such as Cognitive Technology's Trig
> Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.

Goody, more people without lives who think their opinion is the only one
that matters. BTW, have you considered that not all gamers are children?
I'm 22, and I'd bet that the average age of a next generation system owner
is within three years either way of that--not exactly toddlers here.

> Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
> minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!

> What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
> and ordering something like this?

Gee, maybe it's up to PARENTS to stop their younger children from
borrowing their credit cards? My god, what ever happened to common sense?

> It's our aim to put an end to this clear abuse of freedom of speech. We
> have committments from several of this coast's larger distributors to
> discontinue the sale of products to retail stores that refuse to
> cooperate. Send email to sd...@hampshire.edu to find out how you can
> help!

Huh? I really don't see your reasoning. Where is there an abuse of
freedom of speech? And whatever happened to the idea of parental
responsibility? Sure, some responsibility lies on the part of game makers
and retailers, but the bottom line is that PARENTS, not the government,
are responsible for keeping an eye on their children.

> --
>
> E - nd
> V - iolence
> I - n
> G - aming
>

> -= contact sd...@hampshire.edu for more info. =-

G: Get
A: A
L: Life

--
Poom Nukulkij
pon9...@uconnvm.uconn.edu

Free thinking entity

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

In article <rjungE2...@netcom.com>

rj...@netcom.com (Robert A. Jung) writes:

> Count me out. I support responsible parents who monitor what their kids
>play and read and watch and listen. I have no respect for lazy folks who
>want parental groups or government regulations to raise their children in
>their place.
>
> --R.J.
> B-)
>
>//////////////////////////////////////|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
> Send whatevers to rj...@netcom.com | If it has pixels, I'm for it.
>--------------------------------------+------------------------------Lynx up!
>"You weren't chosen because you are the best pilot in the Air Force. You were
> chosen because you are the class clown and frankly, you're expendable."

Surely you jest, R. J.! I doubt that parents have the ability to
monitor their kids anymore. I believe that this practice went out with my
generation. I guess parents just don't care anymore like they used to. It's
easy to just blame anything out there... yeah... like kids didn't hit each
other before video games. Ok... we need to rid the world of evil video games.
Ok... sure. I'm there. Wake up people. I'm with R.J. here definitly. It's
funny... you need a license to drive, a license to serve alcohol, a license to
unclog a toilet full of human excrement... but you DON'T need anything to have
a kid. I'm not saying that we need a 'Kid' license... I'm just trying to put
it in some sort of perspective.

---- Dave 'Burgundy' Bock

Rob Alexander

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

People of your ilk could benefit more from mass sterilization than video
game legislation. Try actually spending time raising your kids or
practice better birth control (see first sentence).

Sean Franklin wrote:

> What is EVIG? How can you get involved?
>
> EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
> with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
> retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate
> games to under-age children to STOP. We support the development of
> educational and intelligent games, such as Cognitive Technology's Trig
> Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.
>

> Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
> minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
> What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
> and ordering something like this?

Anonymous

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

In article <58jb55...@POWERED.ZOO.CS.YALE.EDU>,
haines...@cs.yale.edu (Jeremy Haines) wrote:

> Am I the only one to notice that "EVIG" is "give" spelled
> backwards? How thoroughly appropriate...

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

.
THE PRISONER

John Haasl

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

Free thinking entity wrote:

> In article <rjungE2...@netcom.com>
> rj...@netcom.com (Robert A. Jung) writes:
>
> > Count me out. I support responsible parents who monitor what their kids
> >play and read and watch and listen. I have no respect for lazy folks who
> >want parental groups or government regulations to raise their children in
> >their place.
> >
> > --R.J.

Thank you! I am so tired of hearing people blame other people/things
for their childs irrational behaviours. Just because some parents don't
want to see something in a game or movie or music means that everyone
else has to suffer for their petty whims. What ever happend to freedom
of speech and action, surely parents can relate to that! (remember the
60's, all that hassle for freedom and all has really turned out great!)
I am not bashing everyone, but it just seems that people like to blame.
Blame MK for there kids actions, blame DOOM for their kids mischief,
Blame music for thier kids doing stupid things. Hello? I grew up doing
all of these things and still do. I enjoy being able to do things like
this because I KNOW THAT I CAN'T IN REAL LIFE! I suppose since I just
finished playing Cruisin USA, that means that I am going out right now
and am going to drive 150mph becuase I did it in a game! Geez, people
need to be taught what is right and wrong, it's called parenting and it
should come before anything else a parent does. By the way (INSERT ALL
FLAMES HERE -----> ) I am not a parent, I am a 21 year old who loves
videogames, music and movies. I suppose some of you out there want to
ruin my entertainment. Go ahead, as long as I have a voice, I will use
it. You may all think,"Oh my gosh, I saw blood on the screen, my
goodness we need to pass an amendment to ban this gratuitous violence."

Sorry for not conforming to all your censored ideals, but I don't care.
As long as there are kids out there who want these games (you know,
Bloodfest 2001), there will be a demand. Take it away and well, you'll
have a bunch of young people out there thinking,"hmmmm, wonder what
Fluffy would look like flying through the air."

I agree that there should be limits and standards set, but the things
people are boycotting are ridiculus. Violence is a part of our lives.
From across the seas to our own neighborhoods. Children should be
educated between right and wrong, and as our ancestors managed to do
long before our 90's generation, it's time to take charge of parenting
and forget our schools, morals are instilled in the family, not video
games/music/movies.

ALL FLAMES DIRECTED TO -----> JOHN HAASL
jlh...@batman.tamucc.edu

John Haasl

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

Charles Doane wrote:

> blake fischer wrote:
> >
> > > Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
> > > minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
> > > What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
> > > and ordering something like this?

E V I G stands for some crap, I have one of my own!

S H I T

S tupid
H ypocrits
I nterrupting
T eenagers

Come on, let's make our own groups! YEAH!

LATERS FELLOW GAMERS!
JOHN

Steve

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

Sean Franklin wrote:

> What is EVIG? How can you get involved?
>
> EVIG is a grass-roots organization to control the distribution of games
> with obscene and excessively violent content, and to put pressure on
> retailers and mail-order houses that knowingly distribute inappropriate
> games to under-age children to STOP. We support the development of
> educational and intelligent games, such as Cognitive Technology's Trig
> Explorer or C&G's Oragimi.
>
> Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
> minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
> What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
> and ordering something like this?
>
> It's our aim to put an end to this clear abuse of freedom of speech. We
> have committments from several of this coast's larger distributors to
> discontinue the sale of products to retail stores that refuse to
> cooperate. Send email to sd...@hampshire.edu to find out how you can
> help!
> --
>
> E - nd
> V - iolence
> I - n
> G - aming
>
> -= contact sd...@hampshire.edu for more info. =-

As a christian, I feel EVIG is an appauling show of parents not
willing to do their job and have some lame org do it for them. Be a good
parent and the rest will follow. All the boycots in the world wont make
your job as a parent any easier. Evig is just plain stupid and
unconstitutional. Besides, if you banned every game with violent themes,
there wouldn't be any games left to play!!!!

--

Join the Telegames list. As a result of the list, 4 new games will
be released for the JAguar. Show your support!!!! Contact Telegames at

Steve

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

Sean Franklin wrote:

Is your name really Tipper Gore? I told you guys to vote for
Dole!!!

> E - nd
> V - iolence
> I - n
> G - aming
>
> -= contact sd...@hampshire.edu for more info. =-

The Animus

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Justin Pinnow wrote:

> The Piper wrote:
> >
> > I and many others who can program games will spend the REST OF OUR LIVES placing
> > OBSCENE, PORNOGRAPHIC, GRAPHICALLY GORY PICTURES. in every game we create! WE
> > PROMISE to hide them in even the most innocuous disney/kiddie titles...which
> > YOUR KIDS will find out the CODES for and as soon as you leave the room they
> > will see big bouncing titties on bitches which get blown away by satan in a gory
> > hellraiser type of fashion. you are just scratching the icebergs tip, and you
> > will never succeed in you NAZI CENSORSHIP YOU FUCKING WORTHLESS WASTE OF HUMAN
> > FLESH..
> >
> > EAT SHIT AND DIE
>
> That's a bit severe, don't you think? Sheesh. Someone expresses their
> opinion on something you disagree with, and you go ballistic on them.
> Get a grip.
>
> --
> Justin Pinnow
> jpi...@umich.edu

I didn't think he was going ballistic on them- I think he was taking the
piss out of them. Read it again, what the Piper's saying is clearly
irrational and illogical- ergo, he's taking the piss out of them. Have a
good laugh at Piper's comments, like I did.

-The Animus

Craig M. Kazial

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Sean Franklin (sd...@hampshire.edu) wrote:
: Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for

: minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
: What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
: and ordering something like this?

A responsible parent who has brought their child up right.
Is the kid going to be able to get around the upcoming credit charge,
receiving/hiding the package, and then playing it on the family pc/other pc
as well? People need to take some responsibility.

There may be better examples, but IMO this sure ain't one of them.
Oh, btw, do you speak particularly like a youngster? Otherwise your voice
might have been a dead giveaway to your age. Also any kid 'borrowing'
a parents credit card probably would lie about their age.. and it may be
argued that they have more of a problem than playing violent video games.

: It's our aim to put an end to this clear abuse of freedom of speech. We

: have committments from several of this coast's larger distributors to
: discontinue the sale of products to retail stores that refuse to
: cooperate. Send email to sd...@hampshire.edu to find out how you can
: help!
: --

: E - nd

: V - iolence
: I - n
: G - aming

Violencing in gaming will always be around.. isn't more your aim to stop
children from getting hold of such games? Ending violence in gaming would
be a clear abuse of the freedom of speech. I don't enjoy some of the
drivel that comes out but if people meet the rating system, by all means.
If you can get retail to be better about reaching those guidelines great,
but how about parents taking the responsibility rather than society calling
for retailers to handle it? The above picture is very poor.. if the kid
above manages to get a game in the manner in which you speak it is a failure
of the parent, not the retail chain, IMO (and I hope many other 'IMOs').

Craig
kaz...@acsu.buffalo.edu

John Allen

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

WHo cares about violence in games. It adds to the fun. I am 15, and I
can go to any store and buy any game I want, no matter what the rating.
Just like i can go the the movies and get in any movie I want, no matter
what the rating is. EVIG sucks

Sean Aschen

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:10:15 -0500, Justin Pinnow <jpi...@umich.edu>
wrote:

>The Piper wrote:
>>
>> I and many others who can program games will spend the REST OF OUR LIVES placing
>> OBSCENE, PORNOGRAPHIC, GRAPHICALLY GORY PICTURES. in every game we create! WE
>> PROMISE to hide them in even the most innocuous disney/kiddie titles...which
>> YOUR KIDS will find out the CODES for and as soon as you leave the room they
>> will see big bouncing titties on bitches which get blown away by satan in a gory
>> hellraiser type of fashion. you are just scratching the icebergs tip, and you
>> will never succeed in you NAZI CENSORSHIP YOU FUCKING WORTHLESS WASTE OF HUMAN
>> FLESH..
>>
>> EAT SHIT AND DIE
>
>That's a bit severe, don't you think? Sheesh. Someone expresses their
>opinion on something you disagree with, and you go ballistic on them.
>Get a grip.

You don't understand.. the plan is already in motion...

Mike Walker

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

The Piper wrote:

> I and many others who can program games will spend the REST OF OUR LIVES placing
> OBSCENE, PORNOGRAPHIC, GRAPHICALLY GORY PICTURES. in every game we create! WE
> PROMISE to hide them in even the most innocuous disney/kiddie titles...which
> YOUR KIDS will find out the CODES for and as soon as you leave the room they
> will see big bouncing titties on bitches which get blown away by satan in a gory
> hellraiser type of fashion. you are just scratching the icebergs tip, and you
> will never succeed in you NAZI CENSORSHIP YOU FUCKING WORTHLESS WASTE OF HUMAN
> FLESH..
>
> EAT SHIT AND DIE

Wow!

Nicholas Beagley

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

Sean Franklin (sd...@hampshire.edu) wrote:
: Last week, as a test, we ordered a game obviously inappropriate for
: minors, Marathon 2 -- the mail order company didnt even ask my age!!
: What would stop a 15 year old from "borrowing" a parent's credit card
: and ordering something like this?

And what stops a 15 year old borrowing dad's porno movies, drinking his
alcohol, or taking his car for a spin?

How can I get involved in a grass roots organisation opposed to this sort
of censorship?

-*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*-
Nick Beagley "Who dares to call my name.....
ni...@usa.net And not bow down before me?" CB'95
-*--*--*--*--n--*--a--*--t--*--s--*--l--*--o--*--v--*--R--*--*--*--*-

Phil Rutschman

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

In article <32B44A...@intac.com>, Steve <kru...@intac.com> wrote:

> Sean Franklin wrote:
>
> Is your name really Tipper Gore? I told you guys to vote for
> Dole!!!

Yeah, that way instead of
End
Violence
In
Gaming

we could have

End
Sex
In
Gaming

---/ Phil Rutschman, Macintosh Consultant / Kill Spam Dead! \
--/ mailto:mac...@nwhouse.com / \
-{ { End Corporate Abuse }
-| CompSci Major, Western WA Univ | http://www.vix.com/spam/ |

Probably the earliest fly swatters were nothing more than some sort of
striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.