Fright of an arcader's lifetime!

David Jakovac

Feb 2, 1995, 9:58:22 PM2/2/95
On a recently completed trip to Australia, the land of beautiful sun,
surf, and women, I had one of the more shocking experiences of my life.
I must admit that I'm quit an avid arcade goer though it's more of a
hobbie to get away from the monotony of work then a place I spend a great
deal of time.

The first thing I noticed when I arrived in Auz is the number of
arcades they have there (almost literally one per 3 blocks in some
places!) and was patting myself on the back knowing that if there was any
down time I could most certainly pop into one of them and proceed to
trounce any competitor I encounter (sure I was cocky, I was in pulsating
heat while the rest of my cohorts were wallowing in snow back home, I
felt good).

Thus the time came when I was able to get away and venture into one of
these neon emblazoned dungeons to spend some of this new-fangled currency
that I was lugging around (they have $1 and $2 coins there). I was
shocked to the core when I saw what awaited me within. Now coming from
Canada I swore I'd NEVER pay more than 50 cents for ANY arcade game, no
matter how good it looks. Here in Auz (are you sitting down?) every game
was $1!!!!! I mean what you and I would spend a quarter to play there it
was a dollar! The games which we'd spend 50 cents to $1 to play there
would be $2 (since they have a $2 coin it's easy to implement)!!

To finish a full game of NBA Jam (all four quarters) cost me $4!!!!!!
I felt faint, I had to get out, where was that paper bag I had at lunch?
I thought I was going to throw up! Needless to say I spent the remainder
of my trip firmly planted upon my back at the beach soaking in the rays
for a good tan as opposed to a neon induced one inside those money
sucking hell holes!

Just to note, all of the arcades I encountered in Auz were 'Timezone'
arcades, I'm not sure, but can one have a monopoly in the arcade biz and
end up charging whatever the heck they want? It appears to me that this
was the case at least on the east coast (I travelled from Melbourne up to
Cairns with all major stops in between and found nothing but Timezones
everywhere). No wonder their as prolific as MacDonalds over there, they
must be making a killing for there was no shortage of people in any of
the arcades I visited!

+-------====> David Jakovac (spa...@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca) <====------+
| "Captain, sensors show a speed trap, slow to impulse?" |
| "Negative. Arm Phasers!" |
+----====> ** This message has been SOUPed up by YARN v0.78 ** <====----+

--
+-------====> David Jakovac (spa...@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca) <====------+
| "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" |

rlf...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2016, 3:40:05 PM2/28/16
Hello David,

I've been researching the early bird quote "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" and came across it on your signature in this message. Can you tell me who the source of the quote is, and when you first heard it?
Tracking down the source of quotes is a hobby of mine. Whenever I come across a quote that I like that has conflicting sources, I like try to sort out who the correct source is. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Rolf Wandel