Tech: West Valley Leisure Electronics Genesis to JAMMA Adapter

Alex Judd

Jun 7, 2006, 9:10:45 AM6/7/06
Hi list

Slightly off topic I know but I've acquired an interesting board made in
1994 by a company called 'West Valley Leisure Electronics' which is a
Genesis/Megadrive to JAMMA Adapter.

I can't find _anything_ about this board on the web and I'm trying to
get some schematics for to work out if I need to supply it with power,
at what voltage and generally to see why it's not working.

Anyone got one or seen one of these before?

Regards

Alex

Alex Sure

Jun 7, 2006, 6:20:21 PM6/7/06
"Alex Judd" <newsg...@alexjudd.com> schreef in bericht

Sounds interresting. I assume it is a sort of 'time based' device where you
buy 'time' ?
Seen many like these for the Dreamcast / Xbox / ps1 etc.

My best guess it takes +5vdc or even +12vcd from the jamma edge.
Shoot some pics to asure at jamma dot nl, or post them somewhere ? I'm
curious :)

- Alex

Alex Judd

Jun 9, 2006, 1:55:13 PM6/9/06
to Alex Sure
Hi Alex

Thanks for your reply.

I've put some pictures up for everyone to see below

www.skywire.co.uk/arcademachine/Arcade_001_Small.gif
www.skywire.co.uk/arcademachine/Arcade_004_Small.gif
www.skywire.co.uk/arcademachine/Arcade_005_Small.gif
www.skywire.co.uk/arcademachine/Arcade_002_Small.gif
www.skywire.co.uk/arcademachine/Arcade_003_Small.gif

What you can see in the lead close ups is that the power lead has both a
jack (which I would imagine is to power the Genesis/Megadrive) and two
sets of spades that I have NO IDEA what these are for or whether that's
where power is supplied.

Regards

Alex

Regards

Alex

Alex Sure

Jun 10, 2006, 7:19:35 AM6/10/06
See http://www.coin.demon.co.uk/jamma.htm for the jamma pinout
The LM380 is your sound amp. I tried enhancing the colors to read the
other ic's but i can't make them out :(

D1 is a relais, i think it switches the joysticks on/off, this would make
sense, it appears to be a time-based board. (insert coin, you get play time,
joysticks are turned on for that time.)

Dip switch probably controls time purchased with coins. Gueswork
again, based on the other boards i've seen for DC and Xbox.

What you would need to do, is figure out where the pins on the jamma edge
go. I'd assume they go to the 'power' connector, so that the genesis/md can
get its power from this board, and would not need a separate psu.

The connectors in this pic :
http://www.skywire.co.uk/arcademachine/Arcade_004_Small.gif
Left to right: Joystick , Joystick, video
Are all pins present in the right (video) connector ? Otherwise there would
be
no RGB signal.(see http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/av/sega2.html)
Pins 1, 3, 5, 7 should be present, 8+9 for audio.
Note: i only see two pins in the shot..

In this shot:
http://www.skywire.co.uk/arcademachine/Arcade_005_Small.gif
The two clips.. could be anything, i would need to see where they go on
the bottom of the board itself. My guess would be +5v and GND.. but don't
guess or connect yet.. a pic of the bottom would do wonders :)

The plug on the right would suggest it powers the genesis/md..
Original specs are 9vdc, which you can't get from the jamma connector.
Perhaps the +12vdc was used.. i think the gen/md can run with a bit higher
power, but it will degrade the 'lifetime' of the console since it runs above
spec power.

Now, about the clips. I don't know why they are there, but perhaps the
original
jamma power (from the pins on the edge) was gone, and someone threw in a
switching power supply, with screw terminals.. they seem to fit right in..
http://www.arcade-equipment.com/assets/images/galaga-ps-conversion-kit.jpg

Anyway, shoot me a pic of the bottom side of the board, perhaps it will
become
much clearer then :)

- Alex

iGREKKESS

Jun 28, 2006, 12:42:55 PM6/28/06
Hello,

I've got one, just won on eBay a few days ago, and already looking for
informations about it...

Mine came with switch 1 = ON & 4 = ON on the dipswitch.

http://www.skywire.co.uk/arcademachine/Arcade_005_Small.gif
About the green-&-white wires with the red faston terminals, I've a message
stuck on mine, which says :
"Connect to 12V DC on Power Supply"

I think that should help you a lot ;-)

As I said, I'm working on mine and looking for informations, because when I
plug it to my Aero City cab, I get some strange things (grey image, bad
synchro, sometimes sound is working, sometimes not,...)

I'll try to make a schematic to understand how this interface works exactly
after I clean the PCB !

Regards,
iGREKKESS