This stuff is fun!

-Schieve,R.L.

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
Surprise! A posting from me that isn't all technical and I'm not
trying to sell anything :-)

I get so immersed in this hobby that I often approach it too much
like a project versus recreation which is what really got me
started fooling with this stuff.

Last week I visited one of my favorite operators and picked up a
few things. I wasn't really looking for one but I wound up with a
working Gaplus board. I had never seen a Gaplus board before.
It's a single board monster and I was pleased when I determined
that I could use my existing adapter to JAMMA that works for
Galaga, Mappy, and Bosconians, so all I had to do was plug it in
to my vertical JAMMA cabinet and play.

I realized that I hadn't played this game since it was first
released which is about the same time I started collecting around
11 years ago. There used to be a distributor in Chicago called
Bally/Midwest (yes, "Midwest"). It's the first place I bought any
sizable number of games from.

The salesmen were all really happy to see me until they realized I
was only interested in low buck used games. They didn't throw me
out at that point but I definitely became a second class citizen.
Every time the phone rang or any other interruption came up I was
completely ignored but this turned out to be just fine as just
outside the sales offices were all the new games on display and all
set on free play.

This is where I was introduced to Jr. Pacman, heard the first
rumors of conversions by manufacturers (Atari System 1) and also
the first and last time that I'd played Gaplus.

I'm thoroughly enjoying playing Gaplus now :-) It sure does get
tough fast even at it's easiest setting but all that firepower 8-)

Well, enough of this rambling. I hope you all get a similar kick
out of these treasures from the recent past!

Rick Schieve
r...@intgp1.att.com

Graham Bisset

Jul 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/1/95
In Article <DAxu9...@ssbunews.ih.att.com>
r...@intgp8.ih.att.com (-Schieve,R.L.) writes:

[snip]

>I'm thoroughly enjoying playing Gaplus now :-) It sure does get
>tough fast even at it's easiest setting but all that firepower 8-)

Rick,

I just picked up 2 Gaplus's recently. Is your ROMS marked GP2 or GP3 ?

GP2 seems to have a lot easier gameplay. GP3 also has additions in the score
table such as blood group and age! How weird...

Cheers
Graham

= Graham Bisset = Systems Manager =
= e-mail : gra...@aberdeen.wireline.slb.com = Schlumberger =
= = Scotland, UK =
= Disclaimer : These views are mine and no one else's =
= Arcade boards bought/sold/traded, mail me for more details =

gbbs...@ibmmail.com

Jul 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/2/95
My board has a mix off GP3 and GP2 roms and it is very Hard!!
I played a board with only GP2 roms and it was a lot easier also as
Graham has said the hi-socre tables differ.
On GP2 only it displays, Score, Name , Level Age and Blood Group!!!
On a mix of 2`s and 3`s it displays Score, Name and Level!

Do GP1 roms exist?? (easier?????)

Cheers
Lee

John Keay

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
> I had never seen a Gaplus board before.
> It's a single board monster and I was pleased when I determined
> that I could use my existing adapter to JAMMA that works for
> Galaga, Mappy, and Bosconians,

And Baraduke, of course.

> I'm thoroughly enjoying playing Gaplus now :-) It sure does get
> tough fast even at it's easiest setting but all that firepower 8-)

I don't know what it is about Gaplus that makes it as addictive as
it is. I'd played the original Galaga in the arcades but hadn't
come across Gaplus until I got a board some months ago. Since
then the board has been resident in one of my machines on a
semi-permanent basis.

For a fairly straight forward Galaxians-like game it generates
a large amount of interest and email and postings.

The reverse parsecs are the hardest. If I make it through with
anything more than the single ship I think I'm doing well.
Those times when you can get a full screen of ships firing at double
rate make all the hard work worth while.

I find myself counting out loud on the bonus waves.. 1-2-3 1-2-3...
then 1-2-3-4 etc etc..... drives people nuts. ;-)

I'm not quite sure why they decided to include a blood group entry
on the high score table (on one version of the ROMs), but that also
adds to the games uniqueness.
I wonder if this is an early symptom of a peculiar pre-occupation
with blood letting amongst the game writers, culminating in
Mortal Bleed'n Kombat maybe? ;-)

* John Keay ! TMS320C80 design *
* work: ke...@tiuk.ti.com ! Texas Instruments Ltd. *
* home: jo...@keay.demon.co.uk ! Northampton, U.K. *
* Disclaimer: All opinions expressed herein are personal. etc etc *

Stephen W. Ryner Jr.

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
> I'm not quite sure why they decided to include a blood group entry
> on the high score table (on one version of the ROMs), but that also
> adds to the games uniqueness.

If this is a Japanese game, this would make some sense.
In Japan, blood type is matched with personality, much like
horoscopes here in the US. It's not uncommon to see blood type
given for different characters in a game or comic, along with
sex, age, etc. It's an important vital statistic that gives
more insight to a person!

Steve
--
7/// Stephen Ryner, Jr. bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.
TLT "Keep Pedaling!"