State of the Industry Survey is out---Look at this!

Todd Tuckey

Jan 14, 2008, 9:12:15 PM1/14/08
Got my Playmeter magazine a couple days ago...which is for the whole
amusements industry. The annual State of the Industry survey was quite
interesting...The change from 2006 was this...in 2007, the arcades were 38%
fewer, Street locations 12% fewer, Family Entertainment Centers 60% fewer
(!)...total locations down to 225,000 (down overall 12%)...however, it also
said equipment on location is up 15% to 1.5 billion machines! BILLION! The
industry gross was 5.8 billion for 2007. Average weekly gross of a dedicated
Video Game is $88--the high point in the last 5 years was in 2005 with $129.
Average weekly gross of a Video game Kit conversion was $71--a high point in
2005 again with $86. Deluxe Video Game Simulators averag $102...a high in
2005 of $179. Total of these units in locations in 2006 was 386,000. The
high for the last 5 years was in 2004 with 602,000 games! (the high year of
2005 had 549,000 games) Average weekly gross for a pinball is $47--down
from $48 a week from last year, from $54 a week in 2005, but in 2004 and
2003 it was $48 a week. But total games on location is at 33,000
pinballs--up from 26,000 in 2006! They took in 81 MILLION..In 2004, there
were 45,000 pins in location---.total brand new machines purchased in 2006
was 2500 (I doubt this reflects games sold directly to the home.) Of
course, this does not account for the accounts that do NOT participate in
this annual survey too...so the number on location is much more. Anyway,
does that make anyone feel any better?? Todd from TNT Amusements

MARK

Jan 14, 2008, 10:41:26 PM1/14/08
When i posted that i saw this coming 2-3 years ago and told everyone to get
out while games are worth the wood they are made of many people on here got
mad at me?.I said this business is becoming a thing of the past and that you
can buy Multigames that take up less space then the hundreds of games that
you can play on them and that with all the new Technology you can play on
your home system for free anytime you want 24 hours a day.This is exactly
what happened and i also said i think i was getting out at just the right
time after 25 years in the business.Sorry to say it all came true and if you
look at the majority of posts on here they are people selling their stuff
just to help pay their super high inflated bills.Even if you are just going
on a road trip to pick up a game you really have to think twice with the
price of gas being almost half the price of the game you just scored a cheap
price on.I also said that it would be good for collectors because Ops like
me were getting out and selling their games for pennies on the dollar.I
think it's at the point now that even many collectors can't keep their
collection running and pay for things like gas ETC..Very sad but true.My
main business that i did so well at for years was drying ups years ago and i
watch my books reflect it right after 9/11 The books don't lie when they are
off by 30-40% each season.Hey Todd you know exactly what im talking about.
"Todd Tuckey" <tntqu...@aol.com> wrote in message

Gary V

Jan 14, 2008, 11:37:45 PM1/14/08
I still dont buy your stance 100%. The "top 20" games will still fetch
decent money. The crazy boom of the late 90's is indeed over. The
industry still sells shitloads of new product as stated in Todd's post
ALL locations around my house have NEW digital jukes, NEW Merits ( I
havnt seen a tube Merit in 2-3 years) lots of LIVE 08's loads of SSB's.
I will agree pins are a dying thing I would belive seeing a Yeti in a
bar before a pinball. There is money to be made....not like years ago
but with the advent of DVD based home consoles what do you expect. Wait
till new display technology comes arond there may just be a new acrade
revival.

monster kong

Jan 14, 2008, 11:48:08 PM1/14/08

MARK,

ture things you have stated but people still do like to go out to have
entertainment thow.
people still go to the movies even thow you can download current
movies for free and get burned advanced copies of dvd's etc.
you cant emulate pinball , air hockey, foosball, billards on a home
system.

you cant go out and pick up GIRLS at home. you gotta go out for that
(kids in arcades/bowling alleys/movie theatres/etc that have games.

what you have to do is mix several forms of entertainmtn in one
building, those still survive.

arcades alone, not as good, pends who they are marketed too. if
marketed to teens only then no
if marketed to familes and toddlers and kids ages 1-12= yes...
redemption is king....cant emulate that at home either.
ops/arcades have to change with the times......

> When i posted that i saw this coming 2-3 years ago and told everyone to get
> out while games are worth the wood they are made of many people on here got
> mad at me?.I said this business is becoming a thing of the past and that you
> can buy Multigames that take up less space then the hundreds of games that
> you can play on them and that with all the new Technology you can play on
> your home system for free anytime you want 24 hours a day.This is exactly
> what happened and i also said i think i was getting out at just the right
> time after 25 years in the business.Sorry to say it all came true and if you
> look at the majority of posts on here they are people selling their stuff
> just to help pay their super high inflated bills.Even if you are just going
> on a road trip to pick up a game you really have to think twice with the
> price of gas being almost half the price of the game you just scored a cheap
> price on.I also said that it would be good for collectors because Ops like
> me were getting out and selling their games for pennies on the dollar.I
> think it's at the point now that even many collectors can't keep their
> collection running and pay for things like gas ETC..Very sad but true.My
> main business that i did so well at for years was drying ups years ago and i
> watch my books reflect it right after 9/11 The books don't lie when they are

captain knobs

Jan 15, 2008, 12:22:35 AM1/15/08
I dont know what display technology could possibly bring people back
to the arcades that wont be available 1st to the consumer market.
Even todd's post about averaging $88 per game must be talking about
new equipment and a really decent location. Lets do a little math on
say any piece of gear. If your equipment costs $4k new , and your on a
50% split. thats 2 years before the gear has paid for its self. never
mind any repairs, gas money spent to do collections, pay any employees
to do the collections and service on the game, upgrades (we all know
the customers bitch about upgrades) Sounds to me closer to 3-4 years
of service before the machine actually makes a profit.

I collect/service some GT live08's in some good locations making gross
$300-400 per week. And then same town, same type of strong location
and they are making less than $50 per week with no explanation. All i
can say is thank god i sold out my business and equipment. I made my
best profit when i sold all my games.

Game manufacturers need to look more at online real time game play.
Look at how POGO has exploded. It is a community.

BTW - There is a game that is raking it in right now. A polish company
called Kalkomat makes a boxer punch game that is doing over $130 per
week in a bowling center. I hear they are doing great in bars too.

MARK

Jan 15, 2008, 12:30:36 AM1/15/08
I think your both taking what i said too literally.What i said doesn't mean
that nobody can or will never make a dime in the game industry again.I only
stated what was happening and it all came true.There will always be
something better as time goes on and yes ops have to change with the times.I
stated that the 80s type stuff was dying and definitely did.That also
doesn't mean that Pacmans,Galagas don't make any money at all anymore.It
means things like don't bother trying to open a Classic Arcade anymore and
things like that.I also said only the very strong will survive meaning that
the Ops that were very successful and have the capital to keep up with the
times by purchasing games that sell for 30 grand ETC.. will be around a
while longer as long as they can bring enough people in that warrant such an
expensive machines.My specialty was supplying Nice quality Classic games to
Home owners and many Rich Sports figures that could buy them for reasons
like capturing their youth and as a status symbol.Believe me i got pretty
rich for many years until all this started happening and there aren't enough
people who can afford the new very expensive machines for their
basement.Although as Todd from TNT knows i had a couple of those customers
and bought a few fairly expensive machines from him and sold them.Just not
enough so i had a nice Auction at my warehouse and sold well over 100 games
and other Arcade machines,Jukes,Slots ETC.. and lived off that money for
some years but that part of my life is over and im selling off the parts
ETC.. super cheap that i have left incase anyone needs anything.I do miss
those days.I can't deny that.
"monster kong" <who...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

monster kong

Jan 15, 2008, 1:38:10 AM1/15/08
thats why its best not to buy new equipment. buy it used a couple
years later. it will still earn well if its a good earning game (big
buck hunter, etc)

same thing with redemption, you dont always have to buy the newest
instant toy game. cranes you can buy used for $400- $700 will do well
if you have nice product inisde and the crane is kept clean and
working.
a used skee ball machine can cost 1/10th of a new ticket giver, but
still earn the same.
you just gotta be smart what you operate.

brand new games does not always mean it will earn the most.

Josh McCormick

Jan 15, 2008, 8:30:21 PM1/15/08
captain knobs wrote:
> I dont know what display technology could possibly bring people back
> to the arcades that wont be available 1st to the consumer market.

3D (stereo vision) games could have a good revival in the arcades before
the home equipment market would catch up.

When I've brought this up before, all I hear about are the costs of
developing a new system, but I don't buy it. I think it is because we've
got a patent minefield out there that would kill any company that tries
3D anything these days.

Gary V

Jan 15, 2008, 8:48:59 PM1/15/08
Supposedly there is a flexible plasma technology on the way. Imagine an
Enviro shoot'em up or driver.