Archer's Artwork...My Review...

Hans O

Dec 22, 2005, 12:38:37 AM12/22/05
Let me preface my review with this; I originally came into contact with
Archer when I bought a Gravitar CPO a couple years back. Since
Arcadeshop and Arcade Renovations didn't sell it, it was my only choice.
Bang, within a week it show up. I was stunned by the quality of the
piece. I started a dialog and eventually received his Rip Off side art,
too. Again it was excellent in color, quality and faithfulness to the
original.

Fast forward to last month. I was traveling to the Netherlands and was
passing through London. Archer extended an invite and which I gratefully
accepted. We met in his studio about 1-1/2 hours outside of London and
spent hours looking at his collections and discussing all things arcade.

Arch is doing amazing things using modern graphic art technology to
repro and in some cases upgrade video and pin artwork. He's got a method
to produce art that dead nuts on. Sometimes the original art needs
improvement. I don't mean change the color or design at all, rather take
advantage of 2005's methods and materials. Take Rip Off as an example.
The original piece of sideart is thin and not well suited to the
textured cab. Arch made it a little thicker and more rigid. It goes on
without the imperfections from the cab showing through. To the eye it's
imperceptible but what a difference it made putting it on the cab. There
are pictures on ionpool, but you really need to see it in person. It had
a special poly coating that gets put on with heat and high pressure. The
coating can faithfully reproduce different textures found on CPO's.

I also saw the Black Widow art applied to the cab. Rather that making
the die cut decal, he printed the entire side. Again, a little thicker
than artwork you normally buy to hide imperfections in the cab. (I
suppose the beauty is he can repro it in any thickness depending on
application.) The decal was carefully cut at the cabinet edges.
Beautiful. I did take some pictures but didn't think at the time to get
close up shots of specific art. It was apparent that arcade restoration
is a passion for Archer, not a business. He's a bit of a perfectionist.
He was working on Cosmic Chasm during my visit. It looked like
painstaking work. Cinematronics did a crummy job on the originals.

I'm rambling. I read the thread about Archer today and felt compelled to
post after visiting him. I'm glad I met Archer and saw all the stages of
his work. I guess it confirmed what I already suspected. Good materials,
modern techniques, accurate reproductions, and a passion for video
games. I would highly recommend Arch's stuff, in some cases even ahead
of the good repro stuff being done already. He doesn't have a web site
promoting his wares, but stuff does come out regularly. I wouldn't
expect goofy stuff like Looping cabaret art to show up anytime soon, but
Arch can do small runs and big runs of stuff. Drop him an email or send
me one if I've left anything out.

Hans O in Chicago

phoenixarcade.com

Dec 22, 2005, 1:10:57 AM12/22/05
he is a great asset for sure.

Mark

Dec 22, 2005, 9:48:06 AM12/22/05
The quality of Arch's work and his attention to detail, is absolutely
second to none. I have purchased many replacement graphics, overlay's
etc. from sevearl different sources, And found that his are of the
highest quality I have seen. Not to disrespect any others who are
currently reproducing this stuff... What like about his work, is that
he takes a quality piece, and makes it better (such as the Ripoff side
art thickness). Basiclly finding the flaws and correcting them, without
ruining the original intent. And He''s a great guy also.

A. Merry Christmas
B. Happy Chaunuka
C. Merry Kwanza
D. Happy Holidays
E. None of the above

Take your pick,
regards

Mark

matt

Dec 22, 2005, 12:07:44 PM12/22/05
On 22 Dec 2005 06:48:06 -0800, "Mark" <patc...@mail.com> wrote:

>The quality of Arch's work and his attention to detail, is absolutely
>second to none. I have purchased many replacement graphics, overlay's
>etc. from sevearl different sources, And found that his are of the
>highest quality I have seen. Not to disrespect any others who are
>currently reproducing this stuff... What like about his work, is that
>he takes a quality piece, and makes it better (such as the Ripoff side
>art thickness). Basiclly finding the flaws and correcting them, without
>ruining the original intent. And He''s a great guy also.

Couldn't agree more - he's a first class guy. Can't fault him or his
arcade related work.

Mo

Dec 22, 2005, 1:56:23 PM12/22/05
That is awesome. If he has no site, how does one contact him? I'd like
to know if he'll do a repro of Joust 2 CPO that I still need. Mo

cnlmoore

Dec 22, 2005, 1:57:07 PM12/22/05
Archer is a great guy and has made a significant contribution to the hobby
both past and present. Pick up a copy of Mercury for the PSP and support
Archer!

Chris M
Chicago, IL

"Hans O" <p1...@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message

jkoolpe

Dec 22, 2005, 3:25:01 PM12/22/05
I'm totally up for a Joust 2 CPO, too! Archer, if you're reading this,
I humbly request that this be an upcoming project for you to do (and
let me know:)).

Keep up the magnificent work!

Jon

amre...@hotmail.com

Dec 22, 2005, 7:03:53 PM12/22/05
Hans - Thanks for your support, it makes my efforts all the more
worthwhile :)

I've got to recoup some of the substantial outlays for all this, so I
will be posting info more regularly. Now that I have more time on my
hands I'm working to clear the back log of production art.

Someone posted something about Phoenix side art somewhere, and I forgot
to mention it in my last post ... Its done ! I'll be shipping it in
January though. Watch this space ...

Arch

Steve Prendergast

Dec 22, 2005, 9:11:51 PM12/22/05
Any word on the Major Havoc conversion artwork?

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

<amre...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

davep...@aol.com

Dec 22, 2005, 9:19:50 PM12/22/05
Can he remake the orginal dc comic book superman in all its glory and
correct any mistakes?

Cliffy

Dec 22, 2005, 10:19:26 PM12/22/05
ARGH! =O For SHAME! There are no errors in Superman #1! Every line of
ink is a part of history :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!