What game is your money pit?

guinness

Jun 20, 2003, 9:59:13 AM6/20/03
Including a nos control panel, I've spent over $600 for a mario
brothers wide body (and I'm going to put another $100+ into it). For
a Mario, this is alot.

What game do you own, that you'll *never* recoup the money sunk into
it? Chances are, this is a game you wouldn't ever sell anyways.
Whether its $1300 for a Tempest or $500 for a LadyBug, whats your
money pit? Cmon, make me feel good about my own crap...

tim (NH)

DevilMan

Jun 20, 2003, 10:05:59 AM6/20/03
Tapper. Bought it as a jammatized painted over skins game, without boards
for $75.

Spent about $400 so far, and still need to repro the front art, wire the
cab, restore monitor bezel which is in pretty bad shape, and oh yeah.... the
most important part: TAPPER HANDLES!

God I hope it fits in my basement.

"guinness" <guin...@aspi.net> wrote in message

Azarcadegames

Jun 20, 2003, 10:09:18 AM6/20/03
without question a sea wolf we got ripped off on from kevin rogers in tyler
texas

games was incomplete, boards didnt work, broken neck, art was miserable.

but i love the game (have 3 of them) and thought what the hell, lemme see what
we can do with this.

well 18 months later the game is cosmetically sweet. still have some electronic
issues to iron out as soon as we have the time. but this was a money pit that i
know we will never recoup. ill not be doing this again for sure.

Matt Hoy

Jun 20, 2003, 10:10:16 AM6/20/03
Spyhunter. Paid $250 for a nice looking cab, paid about $100 to get the
boards fixed, now I have power supply issues, and I still need to get
some sideart. It's gonna be one expensive Spyhunter.

MAtt

Mark C. Spaeth

Jun 20, 2003, 11:13:44 AM6/20/03
guinness <guin...@aspi.net> wrote:
: Including a nos control panel, I've spent over $600 for a mario

: brothers wide body (and I'm going to put another $100+ into it). For
: a Mario, this is alot.

Hmm... I've got this really crappy space invaders mini that's never
going to work :)

--
Mark Spaeth msp...@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 msp...@mit.edu

Dan

Jun 20, 2003, 12:28:43 PM6/20/03
Mine's a dead Tempest I swapped a working Galaxian cocktail for. Dead
board replaced, dead power board fixed, some work on the monitor (monitor
is now working), and I still don't have the game running (it might be this
weekend's project). Oh, and some kid scratched the eyes out of the
monsters on the side art... so basically I've had to fix or replace about
everything in it. But I love that game and it's never for sale locally...
-dan

Bish

Jun 20, 2003, 3:08:57 PM6/20/03
This would be the Ms. Pac I'm restoring.

Cab: $275
New AC wiring + harness $100
New Bezel Glass $80
New CP + Overlay $100
Joystick+Adapter $40
Florescent light fixture + tube $40
----
$535

I still need to recap the monitor, get a new marquee, and then worry about
filling the holes in the cabinet, and get new sideart.

I figure by the time I'm done, I'll have spent well over $1000.

However...I'll *never* sell it once its complete.

(By the way, prices are in Canadian dollars, and do not figure into account
things like converting to US dollars, shipping, duty, etc.)

Blaine.

- - - - -

Ceg...@webtv.net

Jun 20, 2003, 3:29:22 PM6/20/03
i've gotten some great games dirt cheap over the years and some games i
had to pony up some good cash for.

Subs from brian kirby: $1500 plus to and from shipping and all of the
little fee's associcated when buying something canadian... cost nearly
as much as the game. this was the worst money pit ever,but the condition
of this one makes it all worth it and brian worked w/ me through the
whole deal.

Pengo.. $850 from mike doyle... i had a really nice pengo and only got
$200 at the auction. the condition of mike's pengo plus the cardboard
poster helps, but i didn't do all that great on the sale of my other one
:(
the whole auction was a buyers market.

Mike is a great trader.. i wouldnt hesitate to buy from him again.

Robotron $1400... last nights buy. it is a nice as you'll ever get for a
robotron. came w/ extra boardset...

Duramold blaster $1450..... had to pay shipping on this one.. expensive,
but oh well... its home now:)

im sure there are others i've spent a few bucks on, but the biggest loss
came from Chris Grahm out of Modesto.
I lost a Mrs pac cocktail , $125 shipping and a crate i was using for
trades. i have nothing to show for. he ran off w/ the cocktail and never
sent my pong.

Im discussing the matter w/ my lawyer right now. i just don't have the
time to pursue it this year....
it seems you can get away w/ ripping folks off these days.. sucks
doesn't it?

ronald

Sean Kovacs

Jun 20, 2003, 4:11:17 PM6/20/03
For me it is my Atari 720.

$750 - 720 machine
$136 - NOS CPO
$35 - NOS monitor glass bracket overlay
$55 - Repro sideart
$18 - monitor glass bracket
$20 - manual & schematics
$15 - T-Molding
$10 - Controller cover disc

Most of these items also had shipping charges associated with them that were
not included above.

I still need to find an NOS Boombox overlay (anybody have one of these they
will sell me?).

I probably have more $$$ into my Tempest but then again it is worth more. I
could NEVER sell my 720 for as much as I have into it.

Good thing I happen to really like this game...

Sean

Arcade-Revival

Jun 20, 2003, 7:17:29 PM6/20/03
missile command cockpit,
lost track at $2000
(but at least it's really clean)

Dave

www.arcade-revival.com

"Sean Kovacs" <seank...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

DANIEL BERGER

Jun 20, 2003, 7:56:25 PM6/20/03
I spent over $700 for my Pac-Man...

$225 - cab
$215 - pcb
$90 - board repair[still being worked on by Mike's Arcade Shop]
$12 - ribbon cable
$25 - joystick grommet
$80 - replacement bezel glass w/ artwork
$45 - power supply conversion kit
$35 - wiring harness

-Dan Berger

Toyguy

Jun 20, 2003, 9:17:38 PM6/20/03
Mine would be the Sinistars you sold me! I may actually sell one now
that both are working, but one will never leave my house! Nor will
the spare boards with all the ROM revisions, except for the AMOA
prototype ROMs. Still need to get those burned for one of my spare
boardsets. I probably have near $1000 in the one I'm keeping, with
all the spare boards, parts stash, etc.

Thanks!

Dave

Mike Appolo

Jun 20, 2003, 9:35:04 PM6/20/03
Mine is Mad Planets...
http://www.appolo.com/collection/madplanets/mad_planets.htm

Bought on eBay and shipped via Forward Air.

--
Mike Appolo
http://www.appolo.com

WAABRUNO

Jun 20, 2003, 9:56:17 PM6/20/03
Missile command. Paid 200.00 for it about 15 years ago, and since I have about
300.00 on spent boards. I guess 500.00 in 15 years isn't to bad, but the main
pcb keeps going.

(Classicade) Bret Pehrson

Jun 20, 2003, 10:36:30 PM6/20/03
Reactor:

$1279 for the game (I bought when prices were way up, and supply was way down).

$200 for shipping

$230 for a NOS control panel overlay (I bought this just *days* before the
reproductions were announced).

$50 for a used good condition marquee (again, before the repros hit the market)

$80 for a repro overlay/marquee

$14 for flyer

$20 for manual

$180 for repro side art

That currently puts it at $2053.

Beat that!

--
Bret Pehrson
Classicade

*** N O W S E L L I N G ***
Check out C-POP -- the ultimate overlay protectant and conditioner!
http://www.classicade.com/cpop.htm

Atari Star Wars thumb trigger rebuild kits!
http://www.classicade.com/trigger_kit.htm
*** N O W S E L L I N G ***

JHS

Jun 20, 2003, 10:46:48 PM6/20/03
Not really a single game, but....went to the Funspot in NH. Played twin
Cobra and remembered why it was my favorite. Decided it was time to own my
own video game and ended up with a cabinet with multi-jamma with Twin Cobra,
Contra, Sky Shark, Task Foce Harrier, Twin Eagle. Plus new CP, overlays,
joysticks etc. Must be at least $800, probably more. Damn the
funspot.....

Ignus Fast

Jun 20, 2003, 10:47:06 PM6/20/03
Tempest, at $995 initially, and probably $300 in monitor/board work
now... :(

--
Please remove the 'notsomuch' to reply by email... Thanks!

ggrandprixx

Jun 20, 2003, 11:16:38 PM6/20/03
Hey Bret
Just think about the Inferno deal and all of a sudden the reactor isnt so
expensive! At one point i think you would have paid 2000 dollars for a
Timber Manual! :)
Kyle O.

Sweetest COC Guy

Jun 20, 2003, 11:47:24 PM6/20/03
750 for my First Pirate Treasure. Which were missing boards Finally got them
but they were dead. 1500 for my second Pirate Treasure. Monitor needed capped,
Joystick didn't work. Cabinet wasn't the best looking. I took the CP and used
it with my working Joystick and wires. Took the boardset and put in in my
first Pirate Treasue cabinet and the other will be used as a back up cabinet. I
may switch it all to a better cabinet which I got for 400.

Wanted to Buy Supermarket Bonus/Loyalty Cards and Key Tags ( New and Unused
unless a Discontinued one). See list for ones I need.
<A HREF="http://www.73ford.com/supermarket.html">Supermarket Want List</A>
www.73ford.com/supermarket.html

Mike Adkins

Jun 20, 2003, 11:58:45 PM6/20/03
Tron and Galaga. Fix one board issue and another comes up........

"Sweetest COC Guy" <sweetes...@aol.com> wrote in message

Brian Pipa

Jun 21, 2003, 12:23:18 AM6/21/03
Sweetest COC Guy wrote:

> 750 for my First Pirate Treasure. Which were missing boards Finally got them
> but they were dead. 1500 for my second Pirate Treasure. Monitor needed capped,
> Joystick didn't work. Cabinet wasn't the best looking. I took the CP and used
> it with my working Joystick and wires. Took the boardset and put in in my
> first Pirate Treasue cabinet and the other will be used as a back up cabinet. I
> may switch it all to a better cabinet which I got for 400.

You got pics of all of your Moppets? I'd like to see what you did to the
one I sold you. I still need to restore my Leprechaun - just curious how
it turned out.

brian

Roger

Jun 21, 2003, 11:05:25 AM6/21/03
You guys are making me feel better...Guess I'm not the only one :)

Here's my baby:

"Working" Galaxian cocktail at SuperAuctions $350+buyer's premium and tax
Board work $75 LOL
CPO $40
New Glass X2 $80 (clips too tight the first time)
New Monitor $250
Misc supplies $35

So...about $900 for a game worth about $300. But it is perfect, and I love
it. I will never sell it. It's a good reminder to think before buying ;)
Thanks for the great thread.

Roger

Jim Melcher

Jun 21, 2003, 12:56:01 PM6/21/03
1200 Qix
250 Shipping
80 Replace Boards
30 Replace Power Supply
10 Remove / Replace Battery
--------------------------------------
1570 Total

I just turned down an offer of $2000! It's mine and it's beautiful and I am
keeping it.

Brian Pipa

Jun 21, 2003, 1:02:56 PM6/21/03
Jim Melcher wrote:

Holy crap! I had 2 Qixs for sale both nice and working and about a year
ago I couldn't sell them for more than $300. I ended up selling on on
ebay for $355 and one locally for $325. Where were you and this $2000
buyer then? :)

brian

Brent

Jun 21, 2003, 1:14:27 PM6/21/03
So you bought that nice robo on ebay.
Sweet machine indeed.

Brent

Brent

Jun 21, 2003, 1:21:03 PM6/21/03
Man, with all the money being spent on all of these rare and classic games,
I'm almost ashamed to say mine...
Pole Position.
Too much for me to think about. I don't really want to know either.

Brent

DMooney870

Jun 21, 2003, 5:15:04 PM6/21/03
I've been lucky so far . I've not had to dump alot of cash into any game yet.
The most expensive purchase was my Galage at $1,200. I can't complain though
cause it's really nice ,new paint job, new sideart...

Doug

MothraRZ

Jun 21, 2003, 5:54:44 PM6/21/03
$2000 for a Qix? It better have cardboard around it that says Taito Games for
that price. Ray

HeadHuntaz

Jun 22, 2003, 2:27:40 AM6/22/03
Mine would have to be Dragon's Lair, I paid $400 for the cabinet "as
is" and have around $1500 into it....repro side art, marquee, and
marquee, new vinyl, laserace, pioneer ldv8000, power supply, PCB,
manual, restoration work, etc...
But it looks great so far...

Chris

Azarcadegames

Jun 22, 2003, 12:35:28 PM6/22/03
that DL doesnt sound like a money pit. DL games restored like this go for more
than what you put into it.

Scott Caldwell

Jun 22, 2003, 9:02:10 PM6/22/03
Hands down, my Dragon's Lair (vastly more than what I have
in any of my other games!).

Scott C.