Pros give me your restoration tips please for old games.

Trebor

Jul 29, 2008, 3:03:55 PM7/29/08
I have been out of this hobby for a while. Sold my games, then found
myself drawn right back to it. I purchased my first game again and
need to brush up on some restoration tips. Can you all give me your
tip on various cabinet repairs? What is the proper way to strip metal
control panels? Would a heat gun be best to remove the old overlay?
After that what product does a good job of removing the adhesive
residue completely? After this would sanding the panel a bit (I have a
cheapie black and decker electric sanding block). Or should I strip
the old paint off entirely first? What is the best product for
stripping paint of say a cpo? How about rusty coin doors. Should it be
stripped with a chemical or just sanded and painted? I like using a
satin type spray paint on panels as the finished look is not to shiny.
How about when you place on new cpos and sideart? Someone told me once
to spray the art of overlay with green windex then you can slide it
around to get it just right before you squeegie out the windex?
Someone else told me warm water with a small amount of soap does the
same thing? Send me your restoration tips for just about anything.
Cabinet holes, overlays, sideart, resurfacing everything. Thanks.

Les Manley

Jul 30, 2008, 12:00:56 PM7/30/08

What game is it?

Trebor

Jul 30, 2008, 8:53:52 PM7/30/08
Midway Cocktail Ms. Pac

Les Manley wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2:03?pm, Trebor <robatv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I have been out of this hobby for a while. Sold my games, then found
> > myself drawn right back to it. I purchased my first game again and
> > need to brush up on some restoration tips. Can you all give me your

> > tip on ?various cabinet repairs? What is the proper way to strip metal

Pat D.

Jul 31, 2008, 1:44:53 AM7/31/08
Why don't you just google for the info you are looking for. There are
years of tips and techniques posted to various forums. I'm sure you can
find links to at least a dozen fabulous repair sites and these topics
have been covered at least once if not fifty times.

Those are my tips for you.

Pat

syn...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2008, 11:08:39 PM7/31/08
I've restored a ton of Ms Pac cocktails over the years so I'll pass on
a few tips. I usually start by unbolting the top at the two hinges
and separating it from the cabinet, that way you can work on the
insides of the cab without leaning over all the time. Then I set it
up on saw horses and change out the fuse holders with a new set from
Radio Shack. The balance of the work is cleaning the cabinet inside
and out, replacing the t-molding and finishing it off with new glass.
If the control panels are torn up, Arcade Shop sells new powder coated
ones for $45 bucks.

As for coin doors, I disassemble them and polish the chrome parts with
OOOO steel wool and Turtle Wax Chrome Polish, then sandblast the coin
door and repaint it with Painters Touch Satin Black from Home Depot.
Polish the 25 cent windows with Novus 2, add a new lock and touch up
the Midway logo plate with a Testor's Gloss Black paint pen.

For carriage bolt heads, I chuck them in a drill and press them
against one of those foam sanding blocks to knock off the rust, then
polish them with a finer grit sandpaper and finally degrease them and
shoot them with clear lacquer. To hold them for painting, I punch
small holes in corrugated cardboard and screw them in with the heads
sticking up.

Be sure to clean the monitor and plex tint screen too, those need to
be disassembled and cleaned since they fog up from years of route use.

To finish off the project, install a "96 in 1" Multi Pac available
from me :-)

http://home.everestkc.net/mdoyle/multipac.htm

Mike Doyle

Kerry Stair

Aug 8, 2008, 5:38:54 PM8/8/08
Mantis Amusements sells the powdercoated control panels for $ 16.00 each . .
.

http://www.mantisamusements.com/mrspacnos.htm

--
Kerry Stair

Mantis Amusements "Its all about Pinball"

<syn...@gmail.com> wrote in message