PENGO ROMs.

Chuck Cochems

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

It seems that the available archives of the PENGO ROMs are not the
much-favored "Popcorn" music variety. The Pengo emulator author can't
find them, and desperately wants them. Does any of you people witha rom
reader own a pengo that plays "Popcorn" in mid level like every home
translation I can find?

I'v tried the emulator, but have only found versions without Popcorn. I
*like* popcorn. :)

Besides, I'm sure a lot of people who DO own the Popcorn ROMs would like
a backup on tant to retreive.

Now, I'm not entirely convinced it isn't a dip switch setting to enable
popcorn, as I don't have a real arcade, but if it's a function of the
sound roms, people want the popcorn version...

Chuck Cochems

PS: TO the Pengo emulator author: PLEASE ADD A VOLUME CONTROL!!! EVERY
TIME I LOAD IT IT BLASTS MY EARS OUT LIKE THIS! It does'nt matter what
the mixer volume is, when I run the Pengolator, it ALWAYS MAXES the
volume and blasts my ears out (my card has no rear volume knob, and I'm
using unpowweres speakers...)

P.P.S. To David Spicer. We would like an update on the progress of
your wonderful EmuLater. I'd love to see someone outdo the guy who's
outdoing Marat's game gear emulator.

Paul Swan

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Dear Chuck,

I have a version (pirate?) of Pengo called Penia, but what is Popcorn music??
From memory, it played the same theme as a shareware version of Dig Dug I had
for the PC that was also the same as the opening theme to a science TV program
in the UK.

Best regards,

Paul.

sibert@scrooge

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

>I have a version (pirate?) of Pengo called Penia, but what is Popcorn music??
>From memory, it played the same theme as a shareware version of Dig Dug I had
>for the PC that was also the same as the opening theme to a science TV program
>in the UK.

My Pengo upright plays Beethoven between levels... I believe it's a portion
of the 9th Symphony... I'd be curious to find out what this "Popcorn" music is...
I've never heard anything other than the 9th...

- Mark
(sib...@raleigh.ibm.com)

Riccardo Pizzi

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

In article <b26.9/21/95M52.62903296@scrooge> sib...@raleigh.ibm.com writes:

>My Pengo upright plays Beethoven between levels... I believe it's a portion
>of the 9th Symphony... I'd be curious to find out what this "Popcorn" music is...
>I've never heard anything other than the 9th...

Here in Italy, I never heard anything other than "Popcorn" on all Pengo's I
have met.

Ciao,

Rick
--
__
/ \ Riccardo Pizzi, Network and System Administrator
| |/ \ | (_)_ __ ___ _ __ _ __ ___| |_
| | | | | | '_ \ / _ \ '__| | '_ \ / _ \ __|
| | | | |_| .__/ \___|_| (_) |_| |_|\___|\__|
|__| |__| |_| INTERNET SERVICES srl

IPER-NET Internet Services - viale Viareggio, 19 - 47037 Rimini - ITALY
Phone/Fax: +39-541-378202 URL: http://www.iper.net

sibert@scrooge

Sep 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/27/96

>Here in Italy, I never heard anything other than "Popcorn" on all Pengo's I
>have met.

Anyone with a "Popcorn" Pengo machine want to sample the music and
make it available? I'd really like to hear what it sounds like. I'd be glad
to do the same with my machine and make the wav files available...

- Mark
(sib...@raleigh.ibm.com)

Riccardo Pizzi

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96

I think I have the "Popcorn" single somewhere... maybe I can find it
and sample that (easier).

later,

wolfi

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:03:52 GMT, sibert@scrooge wrote:
>My Pengo upright plays Beethoven between levels... I believe it's a portion
>of the 9th Symphony... I'd be curious to find out what this "Popcorn" music is...
>I've never heard anything other than the 9th...

hmmmm,

the pengo i played at arcades used to play popcorn in the levels,
not in the interludes....

you can download "popcorn" in midi-format from
ftp://ftp.mpx.com.au/m1/moremods/incoming/midi/popcorn.mid
it`s not the best midi-file but you will remember if you
ever heard it.....

maybe it was only a hit here in europe ?!?

cu

wo...@hamburg.netsurf.de

Al Kossow

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96

From article <324cf1c0...@news.hamburg.netsurf.de>, by wo...@hamburg.netsurf.de (wolfi):

> maybe it was only a hit here in europe ?!?

nope, it was popular in the states as well

it was done by either Jean Jaque Perry of Gershan Kingley in
the early 70's under the name 'Hot Butter'

Mark Vanstone

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

sibert@scrooge wrote:

>>Here in Italy, I never heard anything other than "Popcorn" on all Pengo's I
>>have met.

>Anyone with a "Popcorn" Pengo machine want to sample the music and
>make it available? I'd really like to hear what it sounds like. I'd be glad
>to do the same with my machine and make the wav files available...

The music in the GAME GEAR version of PENGO is perfect. Including
Popcorn on the lower levels, and alternating with another song the
higher the level you get. Come to think of it the GG PENGO is pretty
accurate to the arcade in most all respects !

Mark

Excelsis Limited

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

Hello,

I have access to a board that plays the original popcorn music. I have already
read the ROMS off my original Pengo board - but this has some weird Z80 which
means it probably won't work with the emulator. Keep meaning to pop round to
my friends who had my previous ( verbatim ) copy of pengo with a 'normal' Z80.
Will try and do this very soon ( I promised this before - sorry ). Will post
them to Procyon asap.

Gary

Excelsis Limited

Pete Rittwage

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

I played Pengo quite a bit here in the US and it always played the same
music as the emulator does. The only version that I remember playing
Popcorn was the C64 version. Perhaps some are getting these confused?

Pete

Rodger Boots

Sep 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/30/96
to Al Kossow

And the song on the flip side was "At the Movies".
And, NO, I'm NOT making this up! Have the record somewhere.

Robert Bark

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

You must have played a different GG version than I did; I've played both
and I think the Game Gear blows in comparison to the original. Yeah,
it's fun, but accurate? No way!

Bob

Joseba Epalza

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

"Pete Rittwage" <bush...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Pete

NO: In Spain, has seen the game with this music (popcorn)

sibert@scrooge

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

I am going to attempt to sample the music from my Pengo game,
as I don't believe any of it is the "Popcorn" music that is being
referred to. (I downloaded a Popcorn MIDI file and I had never
heard it before...) I will sample both the music that is played during
the level and the music that is played during the intermissions.
I will post the files when they're ready (hopefully is a day or two...)

- Mark
(sib...@raleigh.ibm.com)

Nick Woodfine

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

Joseba Epalza <jep...@arrakis.es> wrote in article
<3252c...@news.arrakis.es>...

All the UK Pengo arcade units I have seen, both recently and 10 years ago
played POPCORN and not the emulator tune.

--

Nick Woodfine
nick.w...@dial.pipex.com