Auction in Indianapolis

Joel L. Duerksen

Dec 22, 1993, 2:16:12 PM12/22/93
There is suppose to be someone putting together an auction site
list to be posted on the net, but I haven't seen it yet. So
FYI, info on the next auction in Indianapolis, Indiana
is as follows:

Location: Indianapolis Fairgrounds
Date: Jan 29th, 1993
Time: 10am-8pm (doors are open earlier though)
Phone: 927-7500

I've been to two so far, its been interesting and I even got a
bid number last time, but I haven't purchased anything yet.
If anyone plans on going to this one let me know, I'm planning
on being there. The auctioning actually started at about 10:30am
last time, at which time you can not try out the machines anymore,
so I went last time a little after 9am. I didn't hang around for the
whole auction, just the first two rows of video games (out of about 6)
There were several rows of pinballs, a collection of the BIG games
(sitdowns, and oversize), a handful of pool tables, ~10 table tops,
and whats the lingo for the row of Not Working machines? (ie. no monitor
no board, just dead, etc)

For those interested I did write down the machines that were sold
while I was there here they are, I did not write down condition,
because I don't feel I know enough to judge that.. (they had the
game on the screen, thats all I know) So heres the list.

Galaga Small upright $300
Galaxian $85
MS Pacman $285
Double Play ~$250
CAL .50 $160
Paperboy $200
FireTrap $60
Galaga $285
SuperMario Bros. $80
Relief Pitcher $230
Food Fight $35 (bad pacman burn in)
Mortal Kombat $1775
Capcom Bolwing $505
25" Turtles $575
Power Drift $1000
Altered Beast $85
Mortal Kombat ~$1500?
VARTR (operation Thunderstorm) $625
NEC Le Mans 24? $625
25" Turbo Champoinship Street Fighter 2 ~$1200 (yawn)
Super Hang-on (mini version) $725
Time Killer $500
Capt America $725
Mercs $525
Bundra Neck N Neck $1575

Thats about it, the only close to interesting thing there (to me)
were a heavily gutted Asteroids and a "not working" Space Invaders
machine. But I finally decided my first coin-op machine probably
ought to be in working condition, I'm not ready to dig into the
real EE stuff yet.

I don't pretend to understand why some went for as much as they did,
especially the sports games... But I never did like them, new or
old I guess. And then the crowd at the auction, what a bunch of
characters. I hope its not typical crowd, here what I experience in
one day.

- a guy was sleeping away DURING the auction across all the seats at
the vending companies one table.

- one old guy was raising his bid by standing motionless and twitching
his eyes (in a different manner every time), then evil eyeing anyone
who bid against him. (Was big money items too)

- a guy asked me to buy him lunch. (I don't know why, I don't want
to know why, go away!)

- Someone let a bad one go in the crowd during the bidding, sure
created a big gap in an otherwise packed room.

Gimme a break, all tactics to distract the bidding? Anyway its
an experience, hope the rest aren't so weird.

--
Joel Duerksen INTERNET: duer...@lilly.com
"Dune" I was not here, I did not say this.