FS: Quantum marquee reprints

Joe Magiera

Jul 31, 2004, 12:52:02 AM7/31/04
First off, I want to publicly thank Scott Evans for allowing me to
lease the original art work. Without his cooperation, I would not
have attempted this project. THANK YOU SCOTT!!

Yes I've taken the liberty of calling these reprints rather than
repro's (reproductions) as I've used the original artwork and color
codes.

These are silk-screened on plexiglas. Two reasons I chose plexi over
glass; cost and preserving the value of original marquees.

The plexi was laser cut and are perfect matches for length and width.
The thickness of the glass (with paint) was measured at 0.188".
Unless I put in a special order for 1000 pounds of plexi, I could not
get plexi at that thickness. My closest choices were 0.175" or
0.200". I felt being under thick was better than over thick and went
with the 0.175". With the paint it's even a little closer.

The silk screening matches the original, five colors, plus an overall
white backing coat. The (non-screened) front sides all still have
backing paper on them for protection. All screened sides will be
checked to verify no scratches before packing & shipping.

I certainly learned a lot about printing going through this project.
To any of the repro people out there, don't worry about new
competition, I don't want to do this again! I did this project
because of the difficulties I had in trying to find a decent condition
marquee. I was able to finally get one, but I think I'm going to use
one of these non-scratched reprints.

Even though I was able to use the original art work and color codes,
it's still amazingly difficult to color match a 20+ year old item.
The sample we used for verification had nicotine stains. Also, colors
don't reflect the same across plexi and glass. Finally, colors age
from their original tone over time. The light blue caused the most
problems, and I'm sure some people will not be satisfied with it. We
did the best we could do. Even with the original color codes, we had
at least 10 color match attempts on the light blue alone.

I know the market for Quantums is pretty low, and contrary to popular
belief, at least with the printer I ended up using, there was no
significant quantity level price breaks. When the Quantum CPO's were
done, I think the figure was around 75. I'm guessing that there is
less demand for marquees (going on the assumption that more marquees
survived than in tact CP's). So this was a small run, low double
digits. Based on what I went through (took over six months), I doubt
it will be done again. I've already resigned myself that I won't be
able to recoup all my money outlay, but it's too late to worry about
that now.

That all said, here's 3 pics:
http://www.joesarcade.com/joem/Quantum_marquee/
There is a low res and a high res pic of the front of my reprint and
an original. The original is on the bottom in both cases. The other
picture shows the back of a reprint with the white backing coat and
the front of one, as it would be shipped (with the backing paper still
on). I am not trying to hide anything, that's why I have a pic of an
original with the reprint. If you might be interested in buying, I
personally think they came out great, BUT if you do not like what you
read in terms of process (described above) or see in color matching,
then by all means, do not get one.

I wish I could have offered it cheaper, but it turned out way more
expensive than originally thought. The price is $56 for the first,
$54 for the second and $52 for the 3rd and beyond (plus shipping).
Shipping in the USA will be by USPS Priority Mail, and is $6.00 for
one to anywhere in the USA. (FYI, I'm not ripping anyone on shipping,
with shipping supplies, I'll actually lose on shipping to the west
coast). I will ship anywhere, but I'll need to get a quote if you're
outside the USA. I'll also need to get a quote to ship multiples.
I'll take cash, check, money order, cashiers check or non-credit card
paypal (paypal id at bottom). I'll wait a week or so on personal
checks to clear. Other forms of payment I'll do all I can to ship
within 2 business days. You are more than welcome to pick up in
person to save all shipping charges.

If you have any questions or comments on this, please let me know.
I'll answer as quickly as I can. Thanks for reading what I know as a
long message for a simple marquee reprint.

Joe
joema...@ameritech.net

JB

Jul 31, 2004, 1:18:32 AM7/31/04
It's great to see you take this on Joe!

I especially need to give you props for being open and honest about
them being an almost but not quite perfect match!

Kudos to you for all your hard work! Most people wouldn't take on this
project.

JB

On 30 Jul 2004 21:52:02 -0700, joema...@ameritech.net (Joe Magiera)

Azarcadegames

Jul 31, 2004, 1:22:14 AM7/31/04
Nice going Joe, glad it worked out for you. I think youll see plenty over time.

Now to the other Joe, JB, um, where are your top notch best repros ever youve
been spouting about? I knew you wouldnt follow through. Hah.

Joe Magiera

Jul 31, 2004, 7:33:29 AM7/31/04
Forgot to mention, to anyone thinking of picking up in person, I live in
Evanston IL (first suburb north of Chicago). If you're in the Chicago area,
contact me and we can work out a convenient meeting place and time for both
of us.

Joe

"Joe Magiera" <joema...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

Scott Caldwell

Jul 31, 2004, 3:13:53 PM7/31/04
Joe, I don't have a Quantum, but I still appreciate you
taking on this project. I know repro (reprints) take a
ton of time, effort and money, so thanks! Thanks to
Scott Evans too for the original to base it on.

Scott C.