What is the best Jamma Multigame board to get?

Woodsy

Aug 29, 2008, 2:14:47 PM8/29/08
I'm thinking of getting a Multigame Jamma board, like 48 in 1 vertical
or something like that. Has anyone used any of these? There seems to
be a lot of different ones on the web. They even go beyond 1000 games
in 1 board ( I think ). What should I get that would be the best
"value"? For me 48 games seem like enough. Opinions and experiences
please.

Chuk

Aug 29, 2008, 3:58:01 PM8/29/08

Best? Arcadeshop programmable.

But, its $379 vs < $100 for the 48 in 1. Personally, I don't think its
worth the premium. But it is better. I don't like the 1069 in 1's.
All those PC based boards are a pain.

arturosa...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2008, 4:40:33 PM8/29/08

48-in-1s are about $100 and have a bunch of fun classics. They are
easy to setup also. I would say start with one of those, then add
more dedicateds or multis to your collection as space, time, and money
permits.

Woodsy

Aug 29, 2008, 4:41:24 PM8/29/08
Chuk,
Thanks for the input. What Jamma XX in1 would you get? I am new to
all the Video Arcade stuff, and all I know is my jamma Tetris is
getting old already; It would be nice to have some more games in the
same cabinet.

What do you mean by " all those PC based boards are a pain"? I
thought all the multigame boards were jamma?

Chuk

Aug 29, 2008, 5:35:46 PM8/29/08

If money was no object, I'd get an Arcadeshop board. I have one in my
game at home. As far as the 1069 in 1's go, they are jamma, but they
are a very different set up. The 48 in 1's are a small, single layer
PCB. The 1069's are basically older PC motherboards sandwiched in with
some kind of jamma adapter and 2 power supplies. They run off a hard
drive or a CF card. The are kinda unwieldy, and the emulation is dodgy
on some stuff. BTW, the emulation on the Arcadeshop board is more
accurate than the 48 in 1.

Woodsy

Aug 29, 2008, 6:06:28 PM8/29/08

Thanks guy's for the input and opinions. Also, for clearing up some
unknowns for me. I think I'll go with the 48 in 1; just to get
started ( and I'm an Unofficial CARGPB ) from the pinball world. The
1069's sound "too far ,too fast" for me. I am going to check out the
Arcadeshop board for the future though.

audiomidiman

Aug 29, 2008, 6:46:30 PM8/29/08
48 in 1 for around $85 shipped or a 60 in 1 for $120 shipped.

http://forums.webmagic.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=868041&an=0&page=1#Post868041

Also, from the forums.webmagic.com PM wu because he's who I bought my
60 in 1 from "BEFORE" they were @ $120 or less (if you buy them from
china).

http://forums.webmagic.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB3&Number=863425&Searchpage=1&Main=863425&Words=+Wu&topic=&Search=true#Post863425

Tim O

Aug 29, 2008, 9:33:44 PM8/29/08

I'll be the Heretic here (LOL) and say get a JPAC from Ultimarc and
put a MAME PC in there. The dedicated hardware argument is out the
window with these xx in 1 boards.

The initial expense might be a bit more, but why do an old version of
MAME 48 in 1 when you can just set up MAME with a front end and have
total flexibility? My vert MAME cab stripped to what I consider a very
bare list of games and its at about 130. If I want that game list to
be 1 or 1500 by tomorrow, its as easy as dropping in the ROMS and
letting the front end (MaLa) search for changes. I was reading stuff
on the Deco Cassette System that got me in the mood for messing with
those games. Its so cool that obscure stuff like that and Max A Flex
are accessible to try again.

Tim

audiomidiman

Aug 30, 2008, 8:58:34 AM8/30/08
I agree with setting up a MAME sooner or later. However, if you are
going that route and just want something NOW then contact a chinese
distributor and get a 48 in 1 for about $60-$70 shipped for the short
run so you have something to play NOW. Your cabinet will be wired for
Jamma and then you can add a JPAC and a Windows XP machine later to
run MAME.

This is how I was originally going to do my multicade but opted for a
60 in 1 because it had most of the classics that I wanted and was more
PNP.

timh...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2008, 10:06:58 AM8/30/08
On Aug 29, 2:14 pm, Woodsy <woodsy_t...@verizon.net> wrote:

Woodsy, what type of cabinet did you want to install the JAMMA
multigame PCB into?

The best value is obviously the 1069-in-1 unit for around $300...just
the base unit itself all the games on it play excellent with the
exception of a few (MK II, Narc, and NBA JAM)...the other 1000+ games
play great. If you have a JAMMA connection with a monitor in the
horizontal position this is ideal.

The next and easy to do board for a horizontal monitor would be one
called the 19-in-1. Unlike the 48/60 in 1 with quirky sound the 19-
in-1 actually plays perfectly.

Then if your monitor is in the vertical position I would suggest
grabbing a 48-in-1 or 60-in-1. The only 48in1 boards being sold now a
days are the older cloned (or known as the cheaper China boards) ones.
They still work and play just as the original 48-in-1 boards
did...they just have a little higher failure rate. For the 60-in-1
boards you can buy either one by the original maker (best quality) or
like the 48's you can get a cheaper China clone.

Hope this info helps!

-Tim H.