Re-usable stencils available soon!

bso...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2007, 8:13:44 AM11/20/07
After tons of trial an experimentation i have landed on a solution for
those looking for reusable stencils for their games. Stencils can be
cut from 1/8 inch Sintra material which is basically a dense PVC
foam. The resultant stencil is rigid, resistant to temperature and
liquid, cleans off with a hose and scrub brush, lightweight, thick
enough so pieces won't easily break off and lays nice and flat on the
surface to be painted.. and oh, each layer is color coded to the paint
needed :)

These are still experimental for a few more weeks, and will add 80.00
to the cost of most stencils and shipping won't be cheap as they must
be shipped flat but the option will be there at last. Some games
these stencils make tons of sense such as Defender and Robotron,
others like Taito they just wouldnt look as good as vinyl.

Hope this option will help a few people out!

/brian

http://www.oleszakcreative.com
http://www.rgvac.com

kevinp...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2007, 11:08:17 AM11/20/07
Cool... honestly, these sound like they will give a more authentic
effect when done properly.

goo...@brentradio.com

Nov 20, 2007, 2:15:16 PM11/20/07
I was just going to email Brian and tell him about these, but hey, I
guess he already knows!!!

Nice work!

Brent

melchman

Nov 20, 2007, 3:28:22 PM11/20/07
Mmmm. Reusable Taito Stencils...

I could save so many cabinets with those...

Wade

Nov 21, 2007, 1:41:31 PM11/21/07
Brian,

Wow, way to step up! I recently shipped a monitor glass that was
double boxed and pretty large, and it wasn't oversized, so these might
be shippable for a very reasonable price if each side stencil is cut
in half. You'd have to check with UPS or Fedex ground to find the
exact maximum size before hitting the oversized charges.

It might also be possible to cut the stencils down to as small as
possible to cover the detailed area of the artwork, since some people
probably wouldn't mind if they had to use a little extra paper to mask
around the larger areas of the game not effected by the stencil. I've
done this before and it only added a few minutes of work.

You're making game restoration so much easier for us!!

Wade

JohnVV

Nov 21, 2007, 2:10:02 PM11/21/07
As an alternative to cutting the stencils down, you could even just
cut the stencil into pieces. Sintra is easy to work with, so the user
could simply re-assemble the stencil and hold together with strong
tape. You could even cut 'puzzle piece' edges to help users re-
assemble the stencil after it arrives. The size of the pieces would
be determined by the largest package size before 'over-sized' charges
apply.

With Sintra (and its cousins), are complex stencils easier to cut on
your machines (e.g. art like Ms. Pac, Zookeeper, etc.) than previous
materials?

bso...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2007, 2:28:07 PM11/21/07

Yea, you could make puzzles out of them, not sure if I'll go that
route yet as it inevitably creates seams where the joints come
together and if there's any natural rounding due to routine handling
the seam will be noticable in the final product. I think that if I
forego things I do on my disposable stencils such as cabinet outlines
for alignment I can reduce the size significantly for shipping whole.
I think the results for games like williams will be pretty good with
these but other games with sharper art like the Taito games it's
really not an option quality wise. These are really ideal for those
that intend to paint lots of the same game, the result will almost
always be easier to control for one offs with the disposable.

As far as complexity, not much difference really.. same file, just a
different kind of machine. The sintra versions will have a touch of
added labor to them as I have to square corners by hand because router
bits are round and the smallest I can use is 1/8th so the corners
right off the router won't be perfectly square.. one swipe with a file
and that's fixed tho. For most people the disposables are the best
answer both economically and quality wise, I just wanted to find as
cost efficient of a way as possible to make reusables as well for
those that want that option too.

/b