Spy Hunter Sound Problem...HELP!

Tim

Oct 25, 2002, 5:47:36 PM10/25/02
This is a follow up. Still have the same problems :(
Thanks to all who sent suggestions, here is what I have done now

1. Replaced wall plug with grounded one
2. Game HAS ALL GAME SOUNDS, but still INSANE loud HUM
3. Replaced the entire power chasis, not one bit of change....now I have 2
working power chasis's
4. Tried moving grounding staps around, no luck.

Help is depearately needed here !
I live in KC and will resort to a paid tech to get this thing done !

"Tim" <timNOSP...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:...
> Hi all,
> After over a year of restoration, I am just about ready to roll the Spy
> Hunter UR down to the game room. One remaining problem. I get a VERY
LOUD
> hum coming out of the speakers. Here are the other facts:
>
> 1. NO game sounds can be heard
> 2. Volume control has NO effect on this problem, sound is just as loud no
> matter what you turn the pots to.
> 3. Replaced the Amp/Mixer board with no change
> 4. Replaced the fuse block on the MAIN power amp/unit
> 5. Game works perfect except for the sound
> 6. NO bars on the monitor, any direction
>
> I am thinking my next move is to replace the Cheap Squeak Deluxe board?
Any
> help would be apprecitated !
>
> Thanks
>
> (ps, to send me an email, remove NOSPAM from the address)

John in NH

Oct 25, 2002, 6:44:20 PM10/25/02

>This is a follow up. Still have the same problems :(
>Thanks to all who sent suggestions, here is what I have done now
>
>1. Replaced wall plug with grounded one
>2. Game HAS ALL GAME SOUNDS, but still INSANE loud HUM
>3. Replaced the entire power chasis, not one bit of change....now I have 2
>working power chasis's
>4. Tried moving grounding staps around, no luck.

While the game is running, have you gone around and given all the wires,
connectors, etc. a good SHAKE and see what it does? May point you to at least
which connection is doing it, if it is a connection problem. . .

~~~
My arcade pics, links & FS/FT stuff (UPDATED 10/16/02):
http://members.aol.com/rushpage/jamma.htm

eBay stuff I've got up:
http://tinyurl.com/121f

mrculpy sucks (highscoreamusements on eBay):
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze3rxvx/

MacMan

Oct 25, 2002, 7:06:44 PM10/25/02
Mmmmm.... Okay let's try some more touble shooting.

Spy Hunter is not stereo - it's 2 channel mono.

One volume control is for FX (SSIO board)
The other is music (Cheap Squeak board)

Turn them down one at a time. Is the hum limited to one channel? Is it
there when both are turned down?

In the test screen, is it louder on any particular channels than others
in the channel test. Same with the music/FX test in the test screen.

I have seen a bad DAC on the cheap squeak cause a kind of hum.

Does the hum vary in volume with the volume controls?

Does the hum get louder when you are playing and the weapons lights come
on?

And while we're at it, let's unplug the fluro just in case.

Report back to the group with your findings.

Cheers
MacMan

In article <npWcnVAp4eV...@comcast.com>,

Tim

Oct 25, 2002, 8:47:28 PM10/25/02
Thanks for the quick reply. Here is the results of this round of
troubleshooting:
(I will print answer back in the body of your text in CAPS)
Thanks to all who are trying to help me get through this......IF you could
only see how beautiful a restoration job that has been
completed on this game, you would understand the level of my frustration!

"MacMan" <rgvac_...@froggy.com.au> wrote in message

> Mmmmm.... Okay let's try some more touble shooting.
>
> Spy Hunter is not stereo - it's 2 channel mono.
>
> One volume control is for FX (SSIO board)
> The other is music (Cheap Squeak board)
>

> Turn them down one at a time. Is the hum limited to one channel? **NO
Is it there when both are turned down? **YES, BUT AT THE VERY TOP OF THE
POT ROTATION, IT GETS EVEN LOUDER, BOTH POTS

> In the test screen, is it louder on any particular channels than others
> in the channel test. Same with the music/FX test in the test screen.

**NO, BUT THE TEST SEEMS TO NOT WANT TO WORK WITH THE SOUNDS, SCREEN COMES
UP AND WILL YOU CAN
HERE PETER GUNN THEME, BUT VERY STATICALLY. THEN WITH MOVING THE OPTIONS,
NO SOUNDS WILL PLAY

> I have seen a bad DAC on the cheap squeak cause a kind of hum. **UNPLUGGED
THE CHEAP SQUEAK, ALL SOUNDS STOPPED
(AS EXPECTED)

> Does the hum vary in volume with the volume controls? **HUM DOES NOT VARY,
BUT WILL GET LOUDER WHEN EITHER POT IS TOWARD TOP OF ROTATION (FULLY TURNED
UP) BUT THE REST OF THE TIME IS INSANE HIGH, THIS JUST MAKES IT INSANE PLUS
5

> Does the hum get louder when you are playing and the weapons lights come

***NOT LOUDER, BUT IT DOES SEEM TO PULSE TO THE LIGHT FOR A PORTION OF THE
HUM. HUM IS ALWAYS PRESENT NO MATTER WHAT IS DONE SHORT OF UNPLUGGING AMP
OR CHEAP SQUEAK
> on?
>
> And while we're at it, let's unplug the fluro just in case. **DID THIS,
ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT

AT THIS POINT I AM BEGINNING TO WONDER ABOUT MY CHEAP SQUEAK D. THE GREEN
LED DOES NOT STAY ON AND
FLASHES IRRATICALLY IF YOU MESS WITH THE CONNECTORS. BUT LIGHT NEVER STAYS
ON. IS THIS NORMAL? RESET ON
THE CSD CAUSES THEME MUSIC TO START AGAIN, LOTS OF STATIC IN THE SONG.
SEEMS TO BE SEPERATE OF THE HUM.

> Report back to the group with your findings.
>
> Cheers
> MacMan

Tim

Oct 25, 2002, 8:50:22 PM10/25/02
I might add that when I got the new power chasis off of ebay, it did not say
that it had new big blue caps installed in it. Is it possible that I
replaced one working power chasis with bad big blue caps for one with the
same problem? Remember, both chasis work fine and the game hums at the same
intensitiy no matter which one is in it.

"Tim" <timNOSP...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Fisk Family

Oct 25, 2002, 10:19:02 PM10/25/02
You might also want to check the volume Pots. If those start to go they can
cause the humming issue as well.

Colin

"Tim" <timNOSP...@comcast.net> wrote in message

MacMan

Oct 26, 2002, 1:37:58 AM10/26/02
Okay!!! Now we're getting somewhere. What I read from this is:

1. You have no sound effects at all - Replace the Z80 on the SSIO board
(top board in the 3 stack)

2. Unplugging the amp of course would make the hum go away... unplugging
the Cheap Squeak should not. Messing with the connectors should maybe
make the green light go off (removal of power) not flash irratically. -
Resolder (don't just reflow) the board connectors on the Cheap Squeak
and clean the pins by gently scraping them with a razor blade.

Reseat the DAC chip (which I think has a chip number beginning with ADJ
or similar - it's should be the only small socketted chip near the edge
of the board on the opposite end to the reset button)

Try it now... any better? NO???

On the CSD there are two LM chips near the top edge of the board.
Replace them - they're cheap and easily sourced probably from Radio
Shack.

Try it now.... any better? No???

You may have to replace the DAC... they're hard to get and expensive (at
least in Australia) so it may be cheaper to look for another CSD on the
group or E-Bay.

This should fix some of your problem... the fact that you get the hum
pulsing when the weapons lights go on also points to an Earth problem
with the cab that these things may or may not fix.

Good luck.

MacMan

In article <TxudnVcCCLC...@comcast.com>,

Tim

Oct 26, 2002, 2:14:08 PM10/26/02
I am begining to think the CSD is bad. I will pull it and try what you
suggest. I will also try to buy a CSD for at least a comparison. I do not
believe the z80 is involved because the sound effects play perfect in the
game, just the test sequence is goofy.

If anyone has a WORKING Cheap Squeak Deluxe, let me know, it looks like I
will need one :)

Thanks so much (everyone) for all of there help.

"MacMan" <rgvac_...@froggy.com.au> wrote in message

PaulG

Oct 26, 2002, 8:03:11 PM10/26/02
I am having an odd sound problem. Certain sounds don't occur. Like
the machine gun. The car sounds, crashes, and theme seem ok. I am
not sure what others I am not getting, if any. I tried replacing the
2 8910 (?) chips on the sound board but that didn't change anything.

Although the theme is in and out sometimes. I haven't messed with the
"cheap" board yet, so hopefully that will be easy.

I am also getting "jail bars" on some of the foreground graphics. I
think this is the video memory, but am open for suggestions.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Paul